GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 11:50 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont want to see my gs become
"last years model"! i cant afford a new one yet. lol. i got 2 more years to be in a new car. lol. then its old. thank god its in 2013. btw i dislike the new m. i dont see what the big deal is. looks like an oversized tiburon.
Old 11-08-10, 10:55 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen the M in person? The 56 is sweet. I can't see how you think it looks like a Tiburon? So any news on engine options for this new GS? 2012 as a 2013 model year though? I wonder if the GS will get a coupe or 4-door coupe based off it, or will that be left as an IS-F coupe? I sure hope it's just the IS coupe, GS would be great if it's just an F version with over 520hp and about 100lbs. lighter than the current GS4.
Old 11-09-10, 08:10 AM
LexFather

I like the long time cycles for the GS, even if the model clearly isn't as competitive as newer models. Benz and BMW do it, though they do a better job with refreshes and MMC. 7 years is fine to me, a luxury car owner doesn't want to see their car change constantly like they bought a Toyota.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Have you seen the M in person? The 56 is sweet. I can't see how you think it looks like a Tiburon? So any news on engine options for this new GS? 2012 as a 2013 model year though? I wonder if the GS will get a coupe or 4-door coupe based off it, or will that be left as an IS-F coupe? I sure hope it's just the IS coupe, GS would be great if it's just an F version with over 520hp and about 100lbs. lighter than the current GS4.
I like the aggressive front end of the M37/56 but then it gets all feminine after that. Looks like a tough SUV front slapped on the sides of another car. Then it has to have the 20" wheels to look good, it looks horrid with the 18" wheels.

Not sure why Lexus nor Infiniti make coupes from their mid size sedans to compete with the 6 series. I guess that is what the SC is for but I would like to see a GS-C.

Old 11-12-10, 03:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an interesting chat with the manager of my local Lexus dealership today. I was in there fixing an electrical problem and stopped by to catch up. He told me the following:
1) They are really suffering right now. The dealership has been virtually dead recently.
2) They aren't expecting the 2013 GS to come out until late Q2 of 2012 (so about 18 months from now).
3) He said that they have guidance that there will be a GSF but no GS460 consistent with other rumors.
4) We were talking about how Lexus styling is better than Acura or Infiniti, except the HS250. The moment I mentioned the HS250, he said it was a piece of crap and described it as a souped up Corolla. However he said that based on the GS and IS sketches that he has been shown, he expects Lexus to be the hottest car maker in 2013.
5) He said air-suspension is a really bad idea - all car manufacturers have high repair rates on air suspension. He said Lexus was better at it than most, but also had issues. He said there is no way you could have air suspension in a GS/5 series level car given the warranty cost.

I told him that I would likely leave for BMW since I can't wait until 2012 for a new car. He tried to pitch me the virtues of an LS460 but quickly gave up after I told him about my aggressive driving preferences.

Last edited by *Batman*; 11-12-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 08:33 PM
LexFather

^^^ I continue to hear the GS looks "beautiful" next go round.

Old 11-17-10, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

e class already has air suspension.

it's just the price you pay for luxury anyway. air suspension rides better and with good control, its performance is also better (just look at the mb abc system). but comes at higher maintenance cost. much like all the parts and gadgets on luxury car, when they break, they cost more
Old 11-20-10, 02:51 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truly disappointed with Lexus. In regards to the 4GS, I (or we) have been mislead for the past few months. It's a solid year before a 4GS comes out and then another year before I would consider buying the car (never buy first model year). As I was lead to believe, 4GS would be revealed in October/November and available early spring 2011. Not looking good.

In addition, having received approximately $5,600 in warranty-related repairs the past 40 months, I need to decide soon whether to sell the car with a few months left on standard warranty, purchase an extended warranty or consider between an E Class or a 5 series.

I like the car for all the reason we know. But economically (along with a dash of desire), I wonder if the car is a keeper.
Old 11-20-10, 03:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Truly disappointed with Lexus. In regards to the 4GS, I (or we) have been mislead for the past few months. It's a solid year before a 4GS comes out and then another year before I would consider buying the car (never buy first model year). As I was lead to believe, 4GS would be revealed in October/November and available early spring 2011. Not looking good.

In addition, having received approximately $5,600 in warranty-related repairs the past 40 months, I need to decide soon whether to sell the car with a few months left on standard warranty, purchase an extended warranty or consider between an E Class or a 5 series.

I like the car for all the reason we know. But economically (along with a dash of desire), I wonder if the car is a keeper.
You can rule out keeping it without an extended warranty. I think you are already seeing what that path will look like.

5-series post September builds seem pretty solid. They made some changes to dial out issues from the launch version.

2011 Benz also looks pretty reliable.

With the rebate, some aggressive BMW dealers are offering 535i for $1200 below ED invoice (around 12% off MSRP) if you lock in deal before Jan 3rd.
Old 11-20-10, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack

well, more like disappointed with your dealership coz' they keep on giving out false information. all the people i talk to they all say 2012.

batman, new 535 for 1200 below ED invoice??? that's crazy (and awesome), considering that few months ago they were asking for msrp, hehe
Old 11-21-10, 02:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm fairly certain that the ES will be a 2012 model. 7th gen Camry production starts in the spring of next year as a 2012 model and the ES has to be shortly there after.

So 2013, for the GS, eh? The E, 5 and M will probably be refreshed by then, there will be a new A6 and probably an XF. We will see how this pans out.

I guess the comments from Toyota/Lexus execs a while back about shorter model cycles and more updates didn't apply to the GS . Since we are going to be looking at this car for another 2 years it would be nice if they gave it another refresh like the IS got. I just don't understand anything that they have done with this car.

That said, it does space the product launches out relatively well:

2012 ES
2013 IS and GS
2014 LS
Also factor F models and coupes in there.
I agree.

Since it seems the 4GS will be MY 2013 after all, it makes NO sense for the ES to be MY 2013 at all.

There is NO WAY I can picture three key Lexus redesigns being released in the span of one year. Next-gen LS being MY 2014 makes sense though.

Having the ES be MY 2012 makes sense, since it will come out at a similar time as the new Camry. It also is better for marketing and logistics. Lexus can then release the 3IS and 4GS in the span of one year. 2 key redesigns in one year would be far more manageable than 3.

I would assume the new ES debuts either in Detroit or New York early next year. I can't imagine it debuting late next year.

Last but not least, the 4GS debuting during the 2013 model year only further raises expectations for the 4GS to be a huge improvement.
Old 11-21-10, 07:12 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
well, more like disappointed with your dealership coz' they keep on giving out false information. all the people i talk to they all say 2012.

batman, new 535 for 1200 below ED invoice??? that's crazy (and awesome), considering that few months ago they were asking for msrp, hehe
Yes but it's a temporary thing. The dealer wants to increase their 5 series allocation and best way to do it is to sell a lot of extra ED and PCD cars. Selling slightly above invoice, but then there is a 1500 manufacturer rebate for the holidays.

Do you think I should go for it?
Old 11-21-10, 10:23 AM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

I don't know, batman. I test drove the 535i and while it was fun for all the expected reasons, the interior and the orange instrumentation panel turned me off (the instrumentation especially felt like the 3-series). The car I regret not buying is the 2011 E-class, not the 5-series.

I didn't test the E, though, so I can't say whether or not I'd have gone for that instead. But it's looking real good this year and when I bought my GS, USAA was offering some pretty hefty discounts for MB. I should have checked into it... though I am pretty sure I'd have wished I had the V8 if I'd gone for the E, and the E-550 would be a little too expensive for me over the E-350.

Let us know if you drive the 5 or E.
Old 11-21-10, 04:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pavlov
I don't know, batman. I test drove the 535i and while it was fun for all the expected reasons, the interior and the orange instrumentation panel turned me off (the instrumentation especially felt like the 3-series). The car I regret not buying is the 2011 E-class, not the 5-series.

I didn't test the E, though, so I can't say whether or not I'd have gone for that instead. But it's looking real good this year and when I bought my GS, USAA was offering some pretty hefty discounts for MB. I should have checked into it... though I am pretty sure I'd have wished I had the V8 if I'd gone for the E, and the E-550 would be a little too expensive for me over the E-350.

Let us know if you drive the 5 or E.
Yeah actually I've driven the E550 and the 550i several times. I don't really like the E550. Doesn't feel as dynamic as my current GS460. The 550i though I'm completely smitten with. It has the electric steering and 8-speed transmission which I love about my Lexus, but the road feel and steering response is incredible if you pony up for the Active Steering option (most of the complaints about 5 series steering feeling dead like Lexus come from the stock version not the active steering). Plus I love the finish of the cabin - feels more upscale than even the LS460 imo. The Anthracite wood trim is excellent, I like how they trim the edges of the wood panels with aluminum, the soft touch dash materials feel premium, and the oyster/black nappa interior is stunning with the 2 tone contrasts. Plus I love the gadgets that the BMW has which Benz lacks like side and top view cameras, and HUD. As well as the 10.5" HD display. The Benz in contrast felt dated and a little cheap to me.

The only thing I thought favored the Benz, is that equipped with my preferred options, the E550 came out about $10k less than the 550i in MSRP.
Old 11-21-10, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree.

Since it seems the 4GS will be MY 2013 after all, it makes NO sense for the ES to be MY 2013 at all.

There is NO WAY I can picture three key Lexus redesigns being released in the span of one year. Next-gen LS being MY 2014 makes sense though.

Having the ES be MY 2012 makes sense, since it will come out at a similar time as the new Camry. It also is better for marketing and logistics. Lexus can then release the 3IS and 4GS in the span of one year. 2 key redesigns in one year would be far more manageable than 3.

I would assume the new ES debuts either in Detroit or New York early next year. I can't imagine it debuting late next year.

Last but not least, the 4GS debuting during the 2013 model year only further raises expectations for the 4GS to be a huge improvement.
Well the 06 GS debuted Feb 05 and the 06 IS debuted fall 05 and the 07 ES debuted spring 06 then the 07 LS fall 06, so that is 4 sedans withing a year....

I agree I would rather a more staggered approach and who knows that may happen since they may have had to re-tool and re-evaluate the new products due to competition, technology, the recession and most importantly Mr. Toyoda taking the helm and demanding more sport and top quality.

The IS is on its 3rd MMC....pretty amazing and a way to keep it relevant.

All the talk seems to be centered around the new GS...nothing much on IS/LS/ES..

Lets also remember that to keep things busy Lexus will likely go this route..

2011-CT/LFA
2012-GS/IS/ES
2013-LS/IS F?/GS F?
2014-SC/IS C? GS C?
2015-HS?

Originally Posted by batman75
Yeah actually I've driven the E550 and the 550i several times. I don't really like the E550. Doesn't feel as dynamic as my current GS460. The 550i though I'm completely smitten with. It has the electric steering and 8-speed transmission which I love about my Lexus, but the road feel and steering response is incredible if you pony up for the Active Steering option (most of the complaints about 5 series steering feeling dead like Lexus come from the stock version not the active steering). Plus I love the finish of the cabin - feels more upscale than even the LS460 imo. The Anthracite wood trim is excellent, I like how they trim the edges of the wood panels with aluminum, the soft touch dash materials feel premium, and the oyster/black nappa interior is stunning with the 2 tone contrasts. Plus I love the gadgets that the BMW has which Benz lacks like side and top view cameras, and HUD. As well as the 10.5" HD display. The Benz in contrast felt dated and a little cheap to me.

The only thing I thought favored the Benz, is that equipped with my preferred options, the E550 came out about $10k less than the 550i in MSRP.
To me the GS simply drives better than the last and current E-class. The E-class drives like an LS to me, very relaxed, luxurious and boring. I agree the interior is very well made, I don't like looking at it though.

The 5 series really is the segment leader BY FAR to me here, even though its less sporty and heavier.

Need to re-evaluate the XF though.....

Last edited by LexFather; 11-21-10 at 07:00 PM.

Old 11-21-10, 08:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Need to re-evaluate the XF though.....
XF is a nice car but it just seems dated to me. I drove one last weekend at a Jaguar Experience event. The 6 speed transmission paired with a dark ages engine just seems crude. When you get back in the GS460 to go home you are struck by how much smoother and more playful the Lexus engine is.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)