GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Yes but it's a temporary thing. The dealer wants to increase their 5 series allocation and best way to do it is to sell a lot of extra ED and PCD cars. Selling slightly above invoice, but then there is a 1500 manufacturer rebate for the holidays.

Do you think I should go for it?
ummm.... tough call... if you ask me, i would probably wait for the 4gs. yes, it's still 2 yrs away, but that seems to be a "fairer" playing field. in my eyes, the new 5 blows the 3gs away in most aspects. however

1) 535 drive train, it's fast and nice, but the HPFP problem, i am sure you are well aware of it
2) it's still first yr, not sure if i go for first yr bmw
3) i have hope on 4gs. it would suck if it comes 2 yrs and regret

i think deals will be there when it comes 2012 on the bmw. and another factor is, you already have gs460, i am not sure if you want a step back to 535. i think you will like the v8. if you are talking about 550, now that's a much "tougher" choice

Originally Posted by Pavlov
I don't know, batman. I test drove the 535i and while it was fun for all the expected reasons, the interior and the orange instrumentation panel turned me off (the instrumentation especially felt like the 3-series). The car I regret not buying is the 2011 E-class, not the 5-series.

I didn't test the E, though, so I can't say whether or not I'd have gone for that instead. But it's looking real good this year and when I bought my GS, USAA was offering some pretty hefty discounts for MB. I should have checked into it... though I am pretty sure I'd have wished I had the V8 if I'd gone for the E, and the E-550 would be a little too expensive for me over the E-350.

Let us know if you drive the 5 or E.
the new e class, i have driven it a lot, i am not connected to it at all and i don't feel much about it. drives heavy, handling response isn't that precise.
Old 11-22-10, 12:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the 06 GS debuted Feb 05 and the 06 IS debuted fall 05 and the 07 ES debuted spring 06 then the 07 LS fall 06, so that is 4 sedans withing a year....

I agree I would rather a more staggered approach and who knows that may happen since they may have had to re-tool and re-evaluate the new products due to competition, technology, the recession and most importantly Mr. Toyoda taking the helm and demanding more sport and top quality.

The IS is on its 3rd MMC....pretty amazing and a way to keep it relevant.

All the talk seems to be centered around the new GS...nothing much on IS/LS/ES..

Lets also remember that to keep things busy Lexus will likely go this route..

2011-CT/LFA
2012-GS/IS/ES
2013-LS/IS F?/GS F?
2014-SC/IS C? GS C?
2015-HS?
As it should be, the GS is the weakest main model in the Lexus lineup right now. A lot of talk should be focused on the GS IMO. The HS and CT are more niche models in the US; they're not Lexus core models like the GS is.

We know the next-gen ES will sell and likely be a nice improvement, so a huge amount of talk IMO isn't needed for the ES.

Also Feb 2005 to Fall 2006 is a span of almost 2 years . Looking back, I think many of us would agree that debuting all of those models so close together starting in 2005 was a bad idea.

I also am totally fine if they launch different variants of other models alongside new redesigns in the same year. That keeps product launches nicely spaced out while at the same time keeping interest in each model and keeping the lineup fresh.
Old 11-22-10, 07:21 AM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

Yeah actually I've driven the E550 and the 550i several times. I don't really like the E550. Doesn't feel as dynamic as my current GS460. The 550i though I'm completely smitten with. It has the electric steering and 8-speed transmission which I love about my Lexus, but the road feel and steering response is incredible if you pony up for the Active Steering option (most of the complaints about 5 series steering feeling dead like Lexus come from the stock version not the active steering). Plus I love the finish of the cabin - feels more upscale than even the LS460 imo. The Anthracite wood trim is excellent, I like how they trim the edges of the wood panels with aluminum, the soft touch dash materials feel premium, and the oyster/black nappa interior is stunning with the 2 tone contrasts. Plus I love the gadgets that the BMW has which Benz lacks like side and top view cameras, and HUD. As well as the 10.5" HD display. The Benz in contrast felt dated and a little cheap to me.

The only thing I thought favored the Benz, is that equipped with my preferred options, the E550 came out about $10k less than the 550i in MSRP.
Yeah I agree about the topview camera. That's one of the things I keep thinking of when I think of the 5.

Anyway, both of you have eased my E class envy.
Old 11-22-10, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As it should be, the GS is the weakest main model in the Lexus lineup right now. A lot of talk should be focused on the GS IMO. The HS and CT are more niche models in the US; they're not Lexus core models like the GS is.

We know the next-gen ES will sell and likely be a nice improvement, so a huge amount of talk IMO isn't needed for the ES.

Also Feb 2005 to Fall 2006 is a span of almost 2 years . Looking back, I think many of us would agree that debuting all of those models so close together starting in 2005 was a bad idea.

I also am totally fine if they launch different variants of other models alongside new redesigns in the same year. That keeps product launches nicely spaced out while at the same time keeping interest in each model and keeping the lineup fresh.
Yeah I guess that is like 18 months Another weird move was having the GS 300 one year, they should have used it for two or so at least and gotten to the MMC.....

Quite frankly the GS should have debuted with the 4.6 engine and the engine should have produced 380hp instead of the old 4.3.

Oh well....(waits for GS F)

Old 11-22-10, 08:37 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I guess that is like 18 months Another weird move was having the GS 300 one year, they should have used it for two or so at least and gotten to the MMC.....

Quite frankly the GS should have debuted with the 4.6 engine and the engine should have produced 380hp instead of the old 4.3.

Oh well....(waits for GS F)
That naivete is why the car did not sell well. If they launched with the GS350 and GS460 (with 380hp), the car would have launched to stellar reviews, and handily beat the BMW 530i and 545i in the eyes of the automotive press and anyone who took a test drive.

But they didn't and the GS has been a failure.
Old 11-23-10, 07:10 PM
LB23
Driver

The 550i with the M-sport package is just too yummy!!!
I LOVE IT.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-550i.jpg  
Old 11-23-10, 07:12 PM
LB23
Driver

By the way, Toyota has big plans for its model lineup, as the automaker intends to introduce 11 new or redesigned vehicles by 2012.

The automaker is looking at ways to produce more efficient gasoline engines, and turbochargers and direct fuel injection are both in the cards.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/r...of-l/#comments

DI and turbocharged engines are coming....
Wonder if the 4GS would have a turbocharged DI engine?
Old 11-24-10, 08:32 AM
LexFather

That naivete is why the car did not sell well. If they launched with the GS350 and GS460 (with 380hp), the car would have launched to stellar reviews, and handily beat the BMW 530i and 545i in the eyes of the automotive press and anyone who took a test drive.

But they didn't and the GS has been a failure.
The car did sell well, it sold 32,000 units in 11 months in 2005, 26k in 2006. No other vehicle outside the 5 or E sold in that level. Reviews initially were solid but not class leading to the experts. They were not bad reviews.

What did happen is when the GS did get the updates, the 350 and 460, sales plummeted though they are far superior to the GS 300/430. (450h was always a limited model). So Lexus plan to keep things "fresh" didn't work here.

To me a few things outside of the GS control hurt it. I think the 3GS advertising was pretty bad especially compared to the 2GS. Also the 2GS was an original looking car but the 3GS wasn't since multiple cars shared the same profile/shape. Again, competition increased maybe tenfold, it no longer was a 5/E/GS race.

Old 11-24-10, 08:24 PM
LB23
Driver

The car did sell well, it sold 32,000 units in 11 months in 2005, 26k in 2006. No other vehicle outside the 5 or E sold in that level. Reviews initially were solid but not class leading to the experts. They were not bad reviews.

What did happen is when the GS did get the updates, the 350 and 460, sales plummeted though they are far superior to the GS 300/430. (450h was always a limited model). So Lexus plan to keep things "fresh" didn't work here.

To me a few things outside of the GS control hurt it. I think the 3GS advertising was pretty bad especially compared to the 2GS. Also the 2GS was an original looking car but the 3GS wasn't since multiple cars shared the same profile/shape. Again, competition increased maybe tenfold, it no longer was a 5/E/GS race.
Yeah, this has been discussed before here. And we agree that it didn`t had a bad start in terms of sales nor powertrains (maybe the V8).
The GS300 was very competitive when it came, just look at their MY 06 V6-I6 german competitors and what they had at the time.
In fact, a very modern engine.

The GS430 wasn`t a modern engine, an for the 06 MY was destroyed by the BMW 550i with 360 horses and 360 lb-ft of torque. Against the E class was competitive, cause the E500 had 302 horses only. The 06 A6 had a V8 with 335 horses.

Lexus failed to kept fresh this GS, besides the powertrains.
No surprise it has become the invisible midsize luxury sedan.
Old 11-26-10, 04:17 PM
jer08
Driver School Candidate

Default Motor Trend Vegas Show

Her's some inside info the Generation 4's will be out the summer of 2011. This comes straight from a Lexus Corporate honcho.
Old 11-26-10, 04:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jer08
Her's some inside info the Generation 4's will be out the summer of 2011. This comes straight from a Lexus Corporate honcho.

If thats true - they must be planning a surprise launch without any field testing. Doesn't bode well. For a company to launch a quality car they have to road test it for at least 9 months and allow the inevitable highly revealing spy shots to leak out.

Personally, I don't believe your source. If a honcho senior enough to know this leaked it, I would imagine they would leak it to the press, not to a forum member.
Old 11-26-10, 11:27 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who knows, I thought it was a 2013 model? Now if this info is true, it's to be a 2012 model? I can hope, but there has been testing going on for a while now. I just think they've been secretive about it, besides the one pics we got from the Nurburgring.
Old 11-27-10, 08:44 AM
jer08
Driver School Candidate

If thats true - they must be planning a surprise launch without any field testing. Doesn't bode well. For a company to launch a quality car they have to road test it for at least 9 months and allow the inevitable highly revealing spy shots to leak out.

Personally, I don't believe your source. If a honcho senior enough to know this leaked it, I would imagine they would leak it to the press, not to a forum member.
I don't know who Batman75 is neither does he know who I am or what I do. Also how does he know that no testing has not been done.
This is why I do not contribute to these types of forums much.
Old 11-27-10, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Everyone lets relax. We are all speculating here and we are all trying to donate info on the 4GS for everyone's benefit.

Old 11-27-10, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, everyone relax. we will see, another 6 months that is to summer of 2011? sure, i will wait and we will revisit this

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)