GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 06:52 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That little drama is always fun
Old 11-28-10, 08:08 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking of my next vehicle which will probably come 18 months from now. It's looking like a Lexus GS will be where I'm heading. Either that or a 550i - but I'm not sure I want to do that because if I do, I'll be modifying the twin turbo V8 and getting myself into a lot of trouble. Anyway..

How likely is it that Lexus will do what they did last time - and have a new style with the same engine and name it GS460? I certainly don't want to buy a first year style and then have the next year come with a 5.7 or something.

How likely will the GS get the 5.7? I mean - if they want to compete with even Infiniti's M56, they're going to need it. Right? I'm expecting the next GS to be an equal to or better performer than the M56.

I'm just looking for thoughts and speculation.. I'd like to know what people think.

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-28-10, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I'm thinking of my next vehicle which will probably come 18 months from now. It's looking like a Lexus GS will be where I'm heading. Either that or a 550i - but I'm not sure I want to do that because if I do, I'll be modifying the twin turbo V8 and getting myself into a lot of trouble. Anyway..

How likely is it that Lexus will do what they did last time - and have a new style with the same engine and name it GS460? I certainly don't want to buy a first year style and then have the next year come with a 5.7 or something.

How likely will the GS get the 5.7? I mean - if they want to compete with even Infiniti's M56, they're going to need it. Right? I'm expecting the next GS to be an equal to or better performer than the M56.

I'm just looking for thoughts and speculation.. I'd like to know what people think.

Thanks in advance...
Sal, I don't think anyone is worried about Infiniti or the M56. Nice car but I much prefer the 550 I drove.

From what we know GS will debut with V-6, hybrid then a GS F. Likely no regular V-8 ala 460 replacement. The 5.7 is a truck engine and won't be used in a Lexus car. From my understanding the Nissan 5.6 is used in the QX and M56 but there are conflicting reports that they are 2 different engines.

We are hoping the GS F gains one of the higher HP Lotus tuned IS F 5.0 liter engines. From what I've heard the GS will drive exceptional and more sporty (possible with a new RWD torque vectoring system) with more MPG, more power and a 10 or 12" screen. Oh and it looks "beautiful"

Old 11-28-10, 10:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think Lexus needs a big V8 to compete with the M56. A smaller V8 with new technology would do the job for example.

Also I believe the hybrid will be as fast as, if not faster than the M56.
Old 11-29-10, 05:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way I would buy an M56.

The big deal breaker is the lack of an active suspension and power stabilizer. At $65-70,000 everyone else offers that. You need it for a large car, otherwise the ride is either to harsh or too soft.

The small deal breakers are bad color and trim choices, hard plastic instead of soft-touch materials, inability to order luxury touring package and sport package at same time.

Infiniti made some pretty naive mistakes at the high-end of their range. With the lower priced M37 they may well get away with it.
Old 11-29-10, 10:29 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't think Lexus needs a big V8 to compete with the M56. A smaller V8 with new technology would do the job for example.

Also I believe the hybrid will be as fast as, if not faster than the M56.
A big V8 isn't necessary if they can get the same performance without it. If the Hybrid has the same type of power the M56 has, then it doesn't matter. Just make sure the NVH is good and there's really no difference. The end goal is still being met..

Originally Posted by batman75
There is no way I would buy an M56.

The big deal breaker is the lack of an active suspension and power stabilizer. At $65-70,000 everyone else offers that. You need it for a large car, otherwise the ride is either to harsh or too soft.

The small deal breakers are bad color and trim choices, hard plastic instead of soft-touch materials, inability to order luxury touring package and sport package at same time.

Infiniti made some pretty naive mistakes at the high-end of their range. With the lower priced M37 they may well get away with it.
Have you sat in the new Infiniti M? There's no cheap, hard plastic.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sal, I don't think anyone is worried about Infiniti or the M56. Nice car but I much prefer the 550 I drove.

From what we know GS will debut with V-6, hybrid then a GS F. Likely no regular V-8 ala 460 replacement. The 5.7 is a truck engine and won't be used in a Lexus car. From my understanding the Nissan 5.6 is used in the QX and M56 but there are conflicting reports that they are 2 different engines.

We are hoping the GS F gains one of the higher HP Lotus tuned IS F 5.0 liter engines. From what I've heard the GS will drive exceptional and more sporty (possible with a new RWD torque vectoring system) with more MPG, more power and a 10 or 12" screen. Oh and it looks "beautiful"
So maybe the Hybrid is where I'll be heading. If the 5.0 in the GS-F doesn't have forced injection, it certainly won't be on my shopping list...
Old 11-29-10, 10:48 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Have you sat in the new Infiniti M? There's no cheap, hard plastic.
I have sat in it, and I have test driven it twice.

The plastic is hard in the M56S. If you touch the top the dashboard (i.e. the upper dash which is black or a dark colored plastic), you will find it is hard. If you press your thumb against the dashboard the plastic won't give. it is hard. Do the same in a BMW 5 series and you will see the thumb will press into the plastic. It is soft touch - similar to padded leather dash panels though more firm.

Soft touch material is optional on M but only available with luxury touring package. So if you want an M56S (sport) then you can't have the soft touch material.
Old 11-29-10, 10:58 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I have sat in it, and I have test driven it twice.

The plastic is hard in the M56S. If you touch the top the dashboard (i.e. the upper dash which is black or a dark colored plastic), you will find it is hard. If you press your thumb against the dashboard the plastic won't give. it is hard. Do the same in a BMW 5 series and you will see the thumb will press into the plastic. It is soft touch - similar to padded leather dash panels though more firm.

Soft touch material is optional on M but only available with luxury touring package. So if you want an M56S (sport) then you can't have the soft touch material.
I see what you're saying.. The M56 I sat in was not the "S" version. That's odd.. You can't get the soft surfaces in the sport version.. I guess it's heavier and they want to keep the weight down...
Old 11-29-10, 11:02 AM
LexFather

I drove a S.. I had no issues with the materials used. While I hate all the dizzying curves and the **** over the odometer I felt the interior was well built. And I like **** just not on a dash. PUT EM ON THE GLASS!

Gonna make a smoking buy in 2 years when it's 35k...

Old 11-29-10, 01:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I see what you're saying.. The M56 I sat in was not the "S" version. That's odd.. You can't get the soft surfaces in the sport version.. I guess it's heavier and they want to keep the weight down...
Yes. i just looked it up. The deluxe touring package is not available with the Sport package. Items which are exclusively available with the deluxe touring package (and therefore unavailable on M56S) include:
- Premium Suede like headliner (the stock one is a cheap canvas which is no where near as nice as the one in the GS)
- Premium soft-touch material for armrests, door inserts, center console and knee pads
- Semi-aniline leather trim

So you can spend $72k on a well equipped M56S and not get semi-aniline leather, a high quality headliner (both standard on GS460), nor a soft-touch plastic trim which is standard on BMW 3/5 series, Lincoln and Cadillac.
Old 11-29-10, 01:17 PM
LexFather

Yes. i just looked it up. The deluxe touring package is not available with the Sport package. Items which are exclusively available with the deluxe touring package (and therefore unavailable on M56S) include:
- Premium Suede like headliner (the stock one is a cheap canvas which is no where near as nice as the one in the GS)
- Premium soft-touch material for armrests, door inserts, center console and knee pads
- Semi-aniline leather trim

So you can spend $72k on a well equipped M56S and not get semi-aniline leather, a high quality headliner (both standard on GS460), nor a soft-touch plastic trim which is standard on BMW 3/5 series, Lincoln and Cadillac.
Wow, wasn't aware of this. My mother's new HS has semi-aniline leather with a 45k MSRP. I did find the 70k pricing to be outrageous and completely out of touch with reality. Hell, you can lease a M37 around here for UNDER $400 a month easy. Couldn't believe it.

Old 11-29-10, 01:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that really is outrageous. I didn't know this either. So for a low 70K price range, you get an Infiniti that still doesn't come with higher-end luxury items.

That is quite ridiculous actually. You can get semi-aniline leather as an option on all the entry-level Lexus models within a 40-45K price range. This includes the IS, ES, RX, and HS.

The fact that the premium options are not available on the sport package M is not a huge deal, but the pricing is what boggles the mind.
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

The Infiniti M is just a horrible car. When somebody mentions that car, this is all I think of.

Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure the new GS will be a better car than the M56 - I just hope it's got the power as well. For whatever insane reason, power is very important to me. If I bought a 550i, I'd be hitting 60mph in 4 seconds flat after a thousand or two in simple modifications. That's what I really want. However, having a more luxurious car that's more reliable that can hit 60 in 4.8 seconds would be fine for me. So I'm crossing my fingers the hybrid will perform this way. I don't REALLY want a GS-F - but I'll certainly consider it..
Old 11-29-10, 02:27 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The Infiniti M is just a horrible car. When somebody mentions that car, this is all I think of.

I actually like the older M. They look really good with a nice wheel/tire setup, IMO.

Last edited by jre002; 11-29-10 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)