GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 06:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the new M56 looks good. With the right wheels. Not so sure about the rest of the car though. I'm betting Lexus won't let Infinity best them. Toyota is the #1 in Japan, and they will definitely be looking not only at their European counterparts but their Japanese one's as well.
Old 11-30-10, 08:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone see that Audi just shared details of the 2012 Audi A6 which will be their all new offering in this segment.

Looks like Lexus is the last to refresh.

The Audi seems nice on inside and at front, but side and rear styling is pretty lame. Also no more V8 A6.
Old 12-01-10, 01:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No V8 for the regular A6, but an A6 hybrid coming. Hybrid though will only be a 4 cyl combined with electric motors, so it won't be a V8 replacement at all. Anyone wanting big power in an A6 will be forced to get the upcoming S6 or RS6 variants.

The next-gen GS is also rumoured to have no V8 offered on regular models, but the hybrid at the very least would be a decent alternative power-wise, unlike the A6 hybrid.

Also the new A6 is very disappointing in my opinion. Lexus has a big chance here with the next-gen GS to jump back to the front of this segment alongside the 5 Series and E Class.
Old 12-01-10, 07:13 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The current GSh does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds or so. Right? I wonder if they'll do any better with the new version... I'd be VERY happy anywhere between 4.8 and 5.2 but I'd like to see some improvement as most other brands are adding power. The Audi A6 is a little too weak for me...

I really like the new 550i so I hope the GS is at least somewhat competitive...
Old 12-01-10, 07:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The current GSh does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds or so. Right? I wonder if they'll do any better with the new version... I'd be VERY happy anywhere between 4.8 and 5.2 but I'd like to see some improvement as most other brands are adding power. The Audi A6 is a little too weak for me...

I really like the new 550i so I hope the GS is at least somewhat competitive...
I'm confident the new hybrid GS will be faster. I'm thinking at least 350-360 HP and a 0-60 time of 5 seconds or lower.
Old 12-01-10, 07:25 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm confident the new hybrid GS will be faster. I'm thinking at least 350-360 HP and a 0-60 time of 5 seconds or lower.
That would make me happy. I'm currently in a modified 335i that's doing 0-60 in about 4 seconds but the in-car experience is bad compared to that of a Lexus. Honestly, I'm not very impressed with the current GSs interior - but it's still better than mine. I'd gladly take a second to sixty slower for a more luxurious car...
Old 12-01-10, 03:59 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
Did anyone see that Audi just shared details of the 2012 Audi A6 which will be their all new offering in this segment.

Looks like Lexus is the last to refresh.

The Audi seems nice on inside and at front, but side and rear styling is pretty lame. Also no more V8 A6.
The look of the A6 is OK. Not great, but not ugly either.

The electronics options however are quite amazing. While I prefer touchscreens, they have an option of a touchpad that you can use gestures to interact with, instead of using a mouse to select letters and such in a painful way. This seems like the "streetdeck" gesture approach, but with the touchpad separate from the display.

Full Internet integration with the GPS too - it can use Google maps for traffic updates, and POI information. And it can act as a wifi mobile hotspot as well.

HUD and a nightvision IR sensor that augments the HUD view.

6.5" monitor standard, with 8" optional.

All very very cool. If they did a good job implementing it, it is light years ahead of where Lexus is today.
Old 12-01-10, 05:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesm
The look of the A6 is OK. Not great, but not ugly either.

The electronics options however are quite amazing. While I prefer touchscreens, they have an option of a touchpad that you can use gestures to interact with, instead of using a mouse to select letters and such in a painful way. This seems like the "streetdeck" gesture approach, but with the touchpad separate from the display.

Full Internet integration with the GPS too - it can use Google maps for traffic updates, and POI information. And it can act as a wifi mobile hotspot as well.

HUD and a nightvision IR sensor that augments the HUD view.

6.5" monitor standard, with 8" optional.

All very very cool. If they did a good job implementing it, it is light years ahead of where Lexus is today.
Very cool. Except for 8" display which I consider small. BMW has 10.5" HD widescreen.

I am a big fan of their touchpad and think it will be better than our touchscreens because it will make text entry much faster.
Old 12-01-10, 09:22 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
Very cool. Except for 8" display which I consider small. BMW has 10.5" HD widescreen.

I am a big fan of their touchpad and think it will be better than our touchscreens because it will make text entry much faster.
I agree, I'd like a bigger panel too, but at least you have regular switches for the normal functions, so they are not so dependent on the interface.

I think gesture control is quite a good idea (if it's responsive), but the mouse approach that lexus is going in is a loser compared to gestures or touch.

I understand the new MMI is powered by a Tegra 2, so its quite powerful...
Old 12-02-10, 11:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Default More GS F talk... OMG price

Looks like Lexus is fully committed to the F line. I look forward to a GS F but the price mentioned here is on the edge of "What???".

Lexus has recently introduced the “F” line to the U.S. public in the form of the IS F, but now the company intends to make the brand flourish by adding a number of new models to the line. The big one that’s reportedly waiting in the wings is the GS F.

The GS F will represent the highest-performance trim level in a line that consist of the GS 350, GS 460 and GS 450h. What will set the GS F apart from the others will be its engine. Our sources tell us that it will come with a 5.0-liter V-8 that will produce about 465 bhp. Toyota predicts the car will run from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds, making it a serious rival for both the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. The secret to its performance will not only be engine power, but also weight, or lack thereof. Toyota engineers want to pare the weight down to about 3700 lb. by incorporating aluminum and carbon-fiber parts. The GS F will probably cost around $90,000 to $100,000 and may make an appearance as early as 2012.

Another project in the pipeline is the Lexus CT 200h “F Sport,” which won’t include engine modifications because of the car’s hybrid powertrain. Instead, there will be big tweaks to the car’s chassis and body including stiffer springs and shocks and upgraded brakes.

Also getting the “F Sport” treatment may be the LS. Like the CT 200h, the flagship sedan will see chassis and body improvements, with minimal engine changes. The brakes will be upgraded and the suspension will become even stiffer than the “Sport” model available now. Look also for flashy aluminum wheels of at least 20-in. diameter as well as a revised front fascia and aggressive side skirts.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/lexus-f-troop
Old 12-02-10, 11:33 AM
LexFather

Shame on R&T. Sam usually does a good job but this sounds like he just read here and made an article.

That car is an old PS job for YEARS ago, they just added green paint and the 5-axxis wheels.

Price sounds right if it would be lighter and on par with what the Germans are charging (and the yen is not helping any Japanese brand price anything).

Old 12-02-10, 11:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jaguar XFR = $80k base.
BMW M5 = $86k base.
MB E63 AMG = $88k base.

Lexus GS-F? I can see it being priced up there, if not higher...
Old 12-02-10, 12:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

meh. I'm waiting for the HS-F
Old 12-02-10, 12:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
meh. I'm waiting for the HS-F
that or LFA-F
Old 12-02-10, 01:04 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

not entirely surprised about the price range, but i have a feeling it'll be somewhat lower once it arrives in showrooms, maybe 78-80k base to compete well with the others. given the competition, i think it'll still need at least 500 hp. i wouldnt be surprised to see a fully loaded GS F for maybe 83-85k, just from seeing how the IS F fully loaded compared to the m3 and c63. i'm not too worried about pricing, but instead how it'll stack up against the cts-v, which wasn't mentioned. that car is wickedly fast...heavy, but fast!

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)