GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 02:07 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to happen. Although with the GT-R, there's more pressure on Toyota (Lexus) to have a sports car in their arsenal. The LSA (or is it LFA..the $375,000 sports car that is a waste of good R&D money) has to be a disappointment. Otherwise, there wouldn't be such sales/lease restrictions on the car.
Old 12-02-10, 02:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Nobody is going to buy a $90,000-$100,000 465 HP sports saloon that gets from 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

These articles are making a mockery of a potential GS-F. Those figures are patently absurd.

Why would Lexus create a car that's more expensive than the F10 M5/E63 AMG but has markedly less (straight line) performance? It's absurd.

If that is the case, then no offense but "no thanks." I'll be looking at the F10 M5/E63 AMG if I am in the market for that type of vehicle. The GS-F won't even be on my radar, and that's perfectly fine. I have no loyalties to any car brand.
Old 12-02-10, 02:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Toyota has generally been conservative with their numbers so I don't doubt it could do better than 4.5s. It's the magazine racers who are going to have a field day with it.
Old 12-02-10, 02:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Let me throw this question out -

Do you think a potential GS-F will have any sort of "hard limit" on how much horsepower it can make due to the existence of the 550 HP LF-A?

In other words, do you think a GS-F with > 550 HP is hands down out of the question because Lexus does not want to "step on the LF-A's toes"?
Old 12-02-10, 02:30 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those concepts were rumor IMO. They were based on the 3GS which I would be very surprised if they created a GS-F on the outgoing model.
Old 12-02-10, 02:31 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I'm wondering why there are so many GS-F threads and posts today. Is Lexus datamining on forums?

Im wondering the same thing
Old 12-02-10, 02:33 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO...even the 'F' is backwards on the fender!
Old 12-02-10, 02:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, because unless the GS-F made out of cardboard and duct tape it's still going to weigh a senate and congress more than the LFA.
LexFather

I am tempted to close this since its about the GS F (and we have a huge thread on it) and we have absolutely no information from Lexus on the car.

We also have no info from BMW on the next M5. So its just guessing work.

energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

They went overboard with this stupid rumor.
Old 12-02-10, 03:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
Nobody is going to buy a $90,000-$100,000 465 HP sports saloon that gets from 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

These articles are making a mockery of a potential GS-F. Those figures are patently absurd.

Why would Lexus create a car that's more expensive than the F10 M5/E63 AMG but has markedly less (straight line) performance? It's absurd.
I agree. This description sounds like something that should be priced at $70k and compete with the BMW 550i.

Lexus has to offer more for less than BMW, not less for more.
Old 12-02-10, 03:04 PM
LexFather

It is very possible TRD is working to massage the 5.0....we have seen its potential in the new Lotus concepts with forced induction.

Maybe Lexus will go high revving like in the LFA with a V-8..this allows for higher HP (and lower torque if its N/A).

Gonna be tough...E63 makes what 518hp...next M5 will make 550hp, CTS-V makes 550hp already.....

Old 12-02-10, 03:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by moolman
Have you tried the Lexus mouse interface, or at least for a couple of days, not just in the showroom. The reason I say this is because I had an 08 GS350 for 3 years, recently switched to the HS250 with the mouse interface. The first couple of days, I wasn't very comfortable with it. Even my previous car, had a touchscreen, I thought the mouse was a dud, but after a couple of days, the mouse is so much faster and easier to use. You need to take your eyes off the road less but the main thing is because its a mouse, you put your hand there at rest and just move your fingers about a inch or two and click with your thumb. Much less movement and it becomes 2nd nature since we all use a mouse on our computers. I'm hoping Lexus stays with the mouse of years to come. It's a much better and faster interface. And no more finger smudges all over the screen.
i have been saying this for long, the new remote touch is easier to use imho. i had the rx350 loaner for a week, and i think it's just as easy, if not easier, than touch screen. zero issues

Originally Posted by ISlove
Found this article on the new GS-F. Interested to see what you guys think about the car. would you pick it over E63 or M5?

heres the rest of the article and some pics

http://autodebut.com/2010/new-lexus-gs-f/
isf performs mediocre compared to m3 and c63? can they show me how? why i don't like the isf, i think it stacks up very well with the others.

the gsf, i will keep an eye, but it won't be the top of my list. lexus just has so much to prove with this car.

Originally Posted by jre002
I'm wondering why there are so many GS-F threads and posts today. Is Lexus datamining on forums?

Anyways, how could we pick it over anything when we don't know what it looks like, how it performs, what comes with it, price, etc...? You are asking about a car that doesn't exist. All we have is pure speculation at this time, so I don't see how anyone but a Lexus fanboy could give any kind of qualified opinion.
yup, that's why i can't say which one i will land myself on. m5 isn't out, gsf is still unknown. if the cars are here, then i think it's valid to consider, otherwise i think it's pretty pointless.
Old 12-02-10, 03:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe all you guys saying 465 hp won't be enough. Based on what? A pissing contest between brands? Seems clear to me Lexus doesn't compete. It establishes a direction and sticks with it. That's one of the reasons I like the brand. It has always stood for individuality and leadership. You all want it to compete.
Secondly, who is racing a big sedan. I like power too but how much does a car need to enjoy driving it? I know, different strokes for different folks.....but surely 465 hp would be enough to enjoy spirited driving.
Heck, I'm still happy with the 300 hp it has now.
Old 12-02-10, 03:59 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moolman
Have you tried the Lexus mouse interface, or at least for a couple of days, not just in the showroom. The reason I say this is because I had an 08 GS350 for 3 years, recently switched to the HS250 with the mouse interface. The first couple of days, I wasn't very comfortable with it. Even my previous car, had a touchscreen, I thought the mouse was a dud, but after a couple of days, the mouse is so much faster and easier to use. You need to take your eyes off the road less but the main thing is because its a mouse, you put your hand there at rest and just move your fingers about a inch or two and click with your thumb. Much less movement and it becomes 2nd nature since we all use a mouse on our computers. I'm hoping Lexus stays with the mouse of years to come. It's a much better and faster interface. And no more finger smudges all over the screen.
I haven't played with it that long, so fair point. However, nothing in my limited experience with it made me want to use it for an extended test.

We do use mice on computers, but touchscreens are all the rage in phones and tablets now for a reason. The blackberries had the equivalent of a small mouse on them for quite a while, but it was much faster to use a touchscreen instead.

I do think the gesture input method could be pretty fast and require even less time being distracted from the road, though if lexus keeps with it's stupidity of not allowing use of the input on the GPS while driving (unlike Acura and others who do allow it), I am not sure that matters. Can you input new addresses etc... when driving on a mouse equipped RX?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)