GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 04:16 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as its lighter than the competition, its all good.
Old 12-02-10, 04:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I can't believe all you guys saying 465 hp won't be enough. Based on what? A pissing contest between brands? Seems clear to me Lexus doesn't compete. It establishes a direction and sticks with it. That's one of the reasons I like the brand. It has always stood for individuality and leadership. You all want it to compete.
With halo cars such as there, there is no rationalization.

It's about numbers and bragging rights.

Otherwise, Lexus doesn't need to make the GS-F.

Rational buyers, such as yourself, are more than happy with the status quo. The GS can continue with its V6, V8, and hybrid variants.
Old 12-02-10, 04:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, there is definitely nothing rational about a high performance luxury super sedan. Bragging rights are definitely needed.

As for this rumor, I'll believe it when I see it. I think base price of the GS F will be 80-85K, but 90K wouldn't surprise me either. I would be however shocked if the GS F base price was 100K. No way is the base price going to be that high.

Also 465 HP doesn't sound like enough. For bragging rights, 500 HP minimum will be needed. The IS F needed at least 400 HP for bragging rights, and Lexus delivered. The GS is a car that is a class above the IS, so for bragging rights the GS F will need at least 500 HP I think. That would clearly differentiate from the IS F without stepping on the LFA's toes.
Old 12-02-10, 05:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This car doesn't need too much sound insulation.

how much weight savings is that?
Old 12-02-10, 05:27 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Cars of these nature need bragging rights.

The GS-F, if produced, needs a minimum of 500 horsepower. 500, 510, 518 just to match the BMW, Jag, and Benz respectively. And we know that the new BMW M5 is about to come out, most likely with far greater numbers.

And that's gonna be a tough job. Nothing other than the LF-A has ever produced such numbers.
With halo cars such as there, there is no rationalization.

It's about numbers and bragging rights.

Otherwise, Lexus doesn't need to make the GS-F.

Rational buyers, such as yourself, are more than happy with the status quo. The GS can continue with its V6, V8, and hybrid variants.

All this. Pass the boost please. 500hp or don't even bother coming to the game.

GS-F needs some of this

540hp or bust, let's go Lexus.
Old 12-02-10, 07:02 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I've said before, this segment is all about numbers game........because majority of the buyers in this segment clamor for it.

So yeah, 500 horse power is the minimum price of admission IMHO (considering what its competitors have atm). If ever this gets less than 500 horses, then I predict that majority of car buyers in this segment will not take this GS F any seriously.
Old 12-02-10, 07:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If the GS F ends up with less than 500 HP, it would be the equivalent of if the IS F had less than 400 HP.
Old 12-02-10, 07:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's a terribly inaccurate rendering. The GS F will not look like that.
Old 12-02-10, 07:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder how they plan to upgrade the CT brakes with the regenerative braking system that hybrids use.
Old 12-02-10, 08:44 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is very possible TRD is working to massage the 5.0....we have seen its potential in the new Lotus concepts with forced induction.

Maybe Lexus will go high revving like in the LFA with a V-8..this allows for higher HP (and lower torque if its N/A).

Gonna be tough...E63 makes what 518hp...next M5 will make 550hp, CTS-V makes 550hp already.....
The 2012 E63 with the bi turbo will offer 549bhp and 590lb ft with the additional performance package.
Old 12-02-10, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

price wise, 90k makes sense. loaded m5 and e63 are all 6 digits, so i think 90k for gsf is "ok". it's not a car for everyone. but if they push the 100k boundary, i say it's not a good move

Cars of these nature need bragging rights.

The GS-F, if produced, needs a minimum of 500 horsepower. 500, 510, 518 just to match the BMW, Jag, and Benz respectively. And we know that the new BMW M5 is about to come out, most likely with far greater numbers.

And that's gonna be a tough job. Nothing other than the LF-A has ever produced such numbers.
anything around 500 won't cut it coz' it will be the same as the "current" m5/e63. new m5 and upcoming e63 are both in the 550hp range already

Originally Posted by syzygy
Let me throw this question out -

Do you think a potential GS-F will have any sort of "hard limit" on how much horsepower it can make due to the existence of the 550 HP LF-A?

In other words, do you think a GS-F with > 550 HP is hands down out of the question because Lexus does not want to "step on the LF-A's toes"?
this was brought up before. i personally don't think it matters. lfa is a halo car, it's very different for what it is. but if lexus really limits the hp on the gsf coz' of the lfa, then it's their mistake to make

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is very possible TRD is working to massage the 5.0....we have seen its potential in the new Lotus concepts with forced induction.

Maybe Lexus will go high revving like in the LFA with a V-8..this allows for higher HP (and lower torque if its N/A).

Gonna be tough...E63 makes what 518hp...next M5 will make 550hp, CTS-V makes 550hp already.....
high rev v8 to push more than 500hp, that's going to be very hard (especially when you factor in reliability). that was the main reason bmw had to go with v10

Originally Posted by Ice350
I can't believe all you guys saying 465 hp won't be enough. Based on what? A pissing contest between brands? Seems clear to me Lexus doesn't compete. It establishes a direction and sticks with it. That's one of the reasons I like the brand. It has always stood for individuality and leadership. You all want it to compete.
Secondly, who is racing a big sedan. I like power too but how much does a car need to enjoy driving it? I know, different strokes for different folks.....but surely 465 hp would be enough to enjoy spirited driving.
Heck, I'm still happy with the 300 hp it has now.
lol if they don't play this right, then for sure they don't even need to consider competing. i respect your points, but i guess it also shows exactly why m5/e63/rs6 (and if there is a gsf) isn't a car for you at all. people do race big sedans. i put my gs350 to work for that matter, or even my ls460l. with the m5 i would have no problem playing with most cars on the road and happily dust them.

on a car like lfa, lexus can play the whole philosophy game, meaning hp isn't everything, but they play with every details to get the car to perform. but when you are talking about the group of people (audience) who actually can afford cars in this segment, then hp is a big factor they look at.

i am not saying if that's right or wrong, but i am saying it's a big factor. lexus can do all they want if they really put up a 465hp gsf and say it's light and it's just as fast blah blah blah, they will end up spending a lot more on marketing and return won't be very impressive. i am a perspective buyer on m5/e63, and i am keeping an eye on the gsf. but if that's what gsf has, i will be that much less interested in it. and the same goes to a few other friends of mine who have the money ready for this car
Old 12-02-10, 10:13 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple math really.

< 500 hp + > $90k = Massive Fail
Old 12-03-10, 12:40 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just put in the LFA engine, and call it a day.
Old 12-03-10, 12:58 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
just put in the LFA engine, and call it a day.
Yeah that's not going to work considering the fact that such a car would need to be priced at $130,000+ to accommodate the exorbitant cost of the LFA engine.
Old 12-03-10, 05:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by syzygy
Yeah that's not going to work considering the fact that such a car would need to be priced at $130,000+ to accommodate the exorbitant cost of the LFA engine.
Yup, Its been explained a gazillion times....the engine itself it probably 80-90k for crying out loud....

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)