GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 05:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
And guess what - people did not buy it. With RX's setup + larger electric motors than RX, it would have around the same speed as 2009 GS 450h, yet get at least 10% extra efficiency. Imagine sub 6 second times, and 32 MPG average? and 55k nicely equipped!
I would buy that! I fantasize over that setup with direct fuel injection and variable displacement.
Old 12-11-09, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This is a right move by Lexus.

The current GS is priced to high in every configuration. Moving it down a step is a good idea with GS250. The GSF will replace the GS460 which is also the right move because the GS460 really is pointless.
I dont think the problem with the current GS is the price, I think its the performance. Sure it is good in the straight away, but it just doesnt handle well and the ride is way too rought for its handling capacibility. The next GS should have more head room 1st of all, I dont know how many times I have hit my head on the roof. Power is ok, but I would do something about the V8. Finally, they should make active suspension standard on the new GS and get rid of those stupid run-flats.
Old 12-11-09, 06:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think the problem with the current GS is the price, I think its the performance. Sure it is good in the straight away, but it just doesnt handle well and the ride is way too rought for its handling capacibility. The next GS should have more head room 1st of all, I dont know how many times I have hit my head on the roof. Power is ok, but I would do something about the V8. Finally, they should make active suspension standard on the new GS and get rid of those stupid run-flats.
I agree.
Is the dash rattle issue fixed yet?
Old 12-11-09, 06:14 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
German hybrids are mostly not real hybrids, and ones that are full hybrids, have nimh batteries ;-). There would be no significant performance or fuel benefits. You save 40kg and pay 2-3k for it. Dont get sucked into the hype, would you pay 2k-3k for 40kg less weight?

GS was already performance hybrid. It was faster than V8, and at speed acceleration was even faster than 460. Just ask mike ;-).

And guess what - people did not buy it. With RX's setup + larger electric motors than RX, it would have around the same speed as 2009 GS 450h, yet get at least 10% extra efficiency. Imagine sub 6 second times, and 32 MPG average? and 55k nicely equipped!
40kg is still pretty significant. Trimming 90 pounds and half the space from the battery is a step in the right direction. If they can get more weight and space savings elsewhere they could probably bring the weight under the 4000lb mark too.

Anyway the reason why they really need to up the horsepower isn't because the last GSh was slow. It's because the Infiniti M hybrid is coming with upwards of 370hp. Lexus needs to beat Infiniti on horsepower and performance as well as beating them on efficiency if they want the GSh to still be relevant.

Also as far as price is concerned, it probably should be positioned above the V8 model since it's faster and it should also be more powerful than the V8 model. $60K would make it sit nicely between the base V6 and the F model.

I don't expect the hybrid or the F model to sell in high numbers even if it were more efficient. Lexus should save the RX setup for an ESh and take the GSh to the next level (btw an ESh would be more like $45K nicely equipped ).

Since the US is probably getting an ESh the GS has room to move up, but as I said above, in Europe and Asia an entry level GSh with the 2.5L can be offered for people that want a high efficiency midsize luxury sedan at a low price
Old 12-11-09, 06:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree.
Is the dash rattle issue fixed yet?
I think Lexus finally started to install the padded dashboard pins in the latest GS, it took them 5 years to install those re-design pin in the factory OMG. As you know, there are tons of other areas in the GS that will rattle and squeak. The whole car was just not design well as far as rattles. As far as I know, the squeaky brake problem still exist. It still amaze me that Lexus cannot find a brake pad material that is high friction and doesn’t squeak in the cold. The GS must have been design and test in the tropics because in the cold, it rattles and squeak like a Hyundai. Well, an old Hyundai I should say
Old 12-11-09, 06:43 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 goes back to my previous point to where little to no thought has been given to the 430 line-up since 01 in my opinion. Lexus has been extremely lazy in its effort to make the GS430 a class leader again.

If I were a 99 GS400 owner, what real incentive has Lexus ever given to say "You need to upgrade your GS to the new model?"
Old 12-11-09, 06:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
+1 goes back to my previous point to where little to no thought has been given to the 430 line-up since 01 in my opinion. Lexus has been extremely lazy in its effort to make the GS430 a class leader again.

If I were a 99 GS400 owner, what real incentive has Lexus ever given to say "You need to upgrade your GS to the new model?"
Its not just the GS460 or the GS430, its the whole GS line. As I posted above, it took Lexus 5 years to install a stupid pin from the factory that cause so many complains from owners about rattles in the cold weather. And the brake pad squeaking issue is still not fix after 5 years. clearly Lexus have given up on the current GS line and they are focusing on the re-design.
Old 12-11-09, 06:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I think Lexus finally started to install the padded dashboard pins in the latest GS, it took them 5 years to install those re-design pin in the factory OMG. As you know, there are tons of other areas in the GS that will rattle and squeak. The whole car was just not design well as far as rattles. As far as I know, the squeaky brake problem still exist. It still amaze me that Lexus cannot find a brake pad material that is high friction and doesn’t squeak in the cold. The GS must have been design and test in the tropics because in the cold, it rattles and squeak like a Hyundai. Well, an old Hyundai I should say

My GS was starting to have some rattles and my service advisor said wait till winter and the rattles will get much worse.Didn't wait and sold the GS for that and other reasons.
Old 12-11-09, 07:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My GS was starting to have some rattles and my service advisor said wait till winter and the rattles will get much worse.Didn't wait and sold the GS for that and other reasons.
I used to fix one rattle in the GS and two more would show up, fix the two and 4 more will appear, its like Gremlins If you go to the GS forum, you will read that some owners simply just gave up on rattles and just turn up the radio.
Old 12-11-09, 07:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I used to fix one rattle in the GS and two more would show up, fix the two and 4 more will appear, its like Gremlins If you go to the GS forum, you will read that some owners simply just gave up on rattles and just turn up the radio.
I would have turned up the radio to if it wasn't for the disapointing $2K ML system.Center channel would drown out the other speakers aggrivating me every time I used the car.No center channel volume control like home units.
Never could understand how ML sounded good in a IS and fabulous in a LS but so suckful in a GS.
I'll never buy an optional radio without hearing it again.
Couldn't listen to ML is a GS in my area because no dealer had one.The car I bought was shipped in from out of state.
The rattles,the ML and a few other things killed the GS for me.
Old 12-11-09, 07:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

What kill it for me was all those things you mentioned and the ride and handling. Considering the GS's rough ride, its handling should be much better. The GS rides as rough as a 5 series but it handlings like a E-class, very disappointing. I guess thats why there are so many owners who mod their GS's suspension, but that would make the ride even worst.
Old 12-11-09, 07:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

What kill it for me was all those things you mentioned and the ride and handling. Considering the GS's rough ride, its handling should be much better. The GS rides as rough as a 5 series but it handlings like a E-class, very disappointing. I guess thats why there are so many owners who mod their GS's suspension, but that would make the ride even worst.
and those are included in my 'few other things' along with a car trying to be both luxurious and sporty.Though,luxury end wasn't bad at all but sporty?
I fell for the exterior design and great looking interior which are very,very nice.
Still went with Lexus after the GS with the RX and ES and also owned a '06 IS 250AWD.
The RX has been great so far at 20K miles.
Old 12-11-09, 08:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree Joe, the interior the GS is world class. One can clearly see where all the money went into when they sit inside.
Old 12-11-09, 09:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I would have turned up the radio to if it wasn't for the disapointing $2K ML system.Center channel would drown out the other speakers aggrivating me every time I used the car.No center channel volume control like home units.
Never could understand how ML sounded good in a IS and fabulous in a LS but so suckful in a GS.
I'll never buy an optional radio without hearing it again.
Couldn't listen to ML is a GS in my area because no dealer had one.The car I bought was shipped in from out of state.
did you turn off the fake surround mode? I love my ML in GS.

as to the brakes, they were fixed for me... no squeakies ;-)/
Old 12-11-09, 09:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
40kg is still pretty significant. Trimming 90 pounds and half the space from the battery is a step in the right direction. If they can get more weight and space savings elsewhere they could probably bring the weight under the 4000lb mark too.

Anyway the reason why they really need to up the horsepower isn't because the last GSh was slow. It's because the Infiniti M hybrid is coming with upwards of 370hp. Lexus needs to beat Infiniti on horsepower and performance as well as beating them on efficiency if they want the GSh to still be relevant.

Also as far as price is concerned, it probably should be positioned above the V8 model since it's faster and it should also be more powerful than the V8 model. $60K would make it sit nicely between the base V6 and the F model.

I don't expect the hybrid or the F model to sell in high numbers even if it were more efficient. Lexus should save the RX setup for an ESh and take the GSh to the next level (btw an ESh would be more like $45K nicely equipped ).

Since the US is probably getting an ESh the GS has room to move up, but as I said above, in Europe and Asia an entry level GSh with the 2.5L can be offered for people that want a high efficiency midsize luxury sedan at a low price
seems like you are fighting PR's here, and not actual vehicles. Nissan never built full hybrid system on their own. Just like first effort from MB got us vehicle which significantly less performance than RX, i doubt that Nissans effort will go over GS. They could do what BMW did and offer half baked hybrid with big petrol engine to mask it up.

40 kg is nothing compared to 2-3k price of it.. I could get **** or Sports version for the same price. Would I get Brembo brakes, sports suspension, sportier wheels, touched up interior or save 40 kg? If they price it 60k, nobody will buy it.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)