GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 09:36 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are very heavily road tested but in the past more so for comfy then sport. The IS F was the most heavily tested car in history until the LFA. I think we can assume they will inject more sport in the cars so the road testing will be different, more on track then on road. FYI the new Lexus NAV voice recognition is a huge upgrade over what we have.

Also Mr. Toyoda is having a new driving facility built that emphasizes sport.

Sz thank for the info and that sounds like something we have speculated and something we heard recently, more hybrid options within a range instead of just one hybrid engine.

If they drop the V-8, it makes sense to offer a base hybrid, then base V-6, then a high power V-6 hybrid then a GS F. Won't please some people but to me its better than just offering one high power hybrid like today.
I just hope they drive it on bad roads. All the German car manufacturers have eliminated any shake, vibrations and rattles. Lexus hasn't. And I don't think Lexus left it there deliberately. I have eliminated the rattles in my GS, but it still has too much shake and vibration of interior components if I drive over bumpy roads.

Testing on racetracks wont help with this since racetracks are much smoother than city streets.
Old 12-30-10, 09:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I just hope they drive it on bad roads. All the German car manufacturers have eliminated any shake, vibrations and rattles. Lexus hasn't. And I don't think Lexus left it there deliberately. I have eliminated the rattles in my GS, but it still has too much shake and vibration of interior components if I drive over bumpy roads.

Testing on racetracks wont help with this since racetracks are much smoother than city streets.
i am not sure if i agree that germans eliminated rattles and squeak. you don't want to hear what i have to say about my m3, and few other germans i have driven.

i would say lexus is just about the same as germans now, whereas in the past, lexus was noticeably better
Old 12-30-10, 10:11 AM
LexFather

Well the rattles are hit or miss. Its also entirely possible they tested the car, knew about possible rattles and still introduced it to market

Old 12-30-10, 10:26 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if i agree that germans eliminated rattles and squeak. you don't want to hear what i have to say about my m3, and few other germans i have driven.

i would say lexus is just about the same as germans now, whereas in the past, lexus was noticeably better
What about rigidity?
Old 12-30-10, 12:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so you're saying the germans were always worse in terms of noise harshness and vibration........ ?

i know german cars sound awful when they're beat up, but I had the impression that the interiors were drum tight
Old 12-30-10, 12:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by szilu
Hi Everyone! Just been at the dealer for tire sensor change (second in a row) and had a little disucssion with the guys there. They told me that the 4GS will come in q1 2012 (at least here in Europe). The styling will be more or less the same as the present but the front lights will be more like the LS's and they will stay under one glass instead of the two per side of the 2GS and 3GS.
Sz

well damn. if that's how it turns out, it will lose its trademark look.

and as some are guessing, it might even look like a CT in the front.
Old 12-30-10, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dunnojack
so you're saying the germans were always worse in terms of noise harshness and vibration........ ?

i know german cars sound awful when they're beat up, but I had the impression that the interiors were drum tight
interiors are drum tight? in terms of what though? i think both my lexus and bmw are very tight in terms of insulation. not like i get more wind noise in my bmw or lexus. but from my experience before, lexus had better interior sound deadening / less rattles than germans. and it had (or has?) a lot to do with how cars are put together. once you are into taking apart cars, you will know and appreciate how lexus spend their r&d on panels integration (vs germans). that's true even on my gs350 vs m3, but obviously lexus still missed quite a bit on their recent cars

What about rigidity?
i don't want to talk about rigidity coz' i have a m3 which is far better than the gs350 in that sense. but i am talking from my previous experience with lexus and also from other germans i have driven, rattles and squeak? about the same (now).
Old 12-30-10, 03:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

i don't want to talk about rigidity coz' i have a m3 which is far better than the gs350 in that sense. but i am talking from my previous experience with lexus and also from other germans i have driven, rattles and squeak? about the same (now).
Yes but most of the noises in my car are related to rigidity. When the body flexes it makes noises. It doesn't happen over simple bumps or lane markers.
Old 12-30-10, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes but most of the noises in my car are related to rigidity. When the body flexes it makes noises. It doesn't happen over simple bumps or lane markers.
that can be a cause, but from my experience, a lot more noises (especially rattling) are from panel to panel fit and finish, which often times create a constant noise and not occasional problems when you go over bumps, etc... those noises imho are actually more "acceptable". hearing a rattle at all times no matter what speed you are that, that's annoying
Old 12-30-10, 10:07 PM
LexFather

One of our European members reports the GS there will offer 2 hybrids, a high MPG one in the 200hp or so range and then a high power hybrid in the 400hp range. The GS also loses its quad lamps

Now in Europe Lexus will be hybrid only so it makes sense to hear that there. Not sure would we get both here.

Old 12-31-10, 01:32 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

without quad lamps, it loses character.

imagine transplanting the CT face....I guess it's ok, but it looks plain toyotish.

even worse, wearing an HS face.

I chopped some for chits and giggles.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gs.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gs2.jpg  
Old 12-31-10, 01:45 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Please no more L-Finesse for the next GS, let's change it up Lexus.
Old 12-31-10, 01:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Have faith in Lexus. They've always made the front end of the GS look good. Even without quad lights, it's possible. BTW, the last pic with the grafted HS looks clean! Can you chrome out the grille?
Old 12-31-10, 08:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually, I think the 3GS aged really well(even better than the 2GS), still looks sharp today
And I like the GS450h with the new hybrid grill too(the only Lexus hybrid grill acceptable to me).
But yes, I hate that the quad lamps will be gone ...
Old 12-31-10, 08:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have faith that the new GS will be a good looking car, with or without quad headlights. I obviously prefer the quads, but who knows what else they will come up with?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)