GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
Sell both GS's and get the GS F...
Not gonna happen

Old 01-07-11, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not gonna happen
yup, mike will just get the gsf to add to his collection of 3 generations
Old 01-07-11, 10:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, mike will just get the gsf to add to his collection of 3 generations
GREAT idea !!
Old 01-07-11, 11:13 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I'm only relaying what the local Lexus Representative (owner) tells me! And so far everything's he's been saying has been legit and accurate!
Old 01-07-11, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gsf debut at sema show? now that's going to be a first
Old 01-09-11, 02:38 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gsf debut at sema show? now that's going to be a first
Good point...But I'm thinking perhaps Lexus knows they are going to have to break from their predictable behavior and "shock the world". Starting with the next wave of sedans IS/ES/GS specifically the GS which is/was a beautiful conservative design which has often been imitated and in the eyes of many surpassed. While many of us here feel that the GS is a good looking car inside and out, even as it ages, it's Homerun time for Lexus. They have to build off of the momentum they gained with the L-finesse design philosophy and take it a step further. You have the Germans with their revamped line up who are always sales monsters in this segment. Infiniti hasn't backed down one bit with their current M cars, in spite of their lame marketing campaign. Even Audi's A6 is lurking right around the corner. And let's not discuss the Hyundai who in a strange way has the swagger of an 800lb gorilla right now. Lexus KNOWS that they MUST bring it this time around. They can't afford to make the same mistake from 2005.

Initially they came soft with the "underpowered" GS300. Which they corrected a year later with the powerful revamped 3.5 liter V-6. And as has been many times here already they should have not have de-tuned the 460 engine when they finally decided to put it in the GS 3 years later. We all know Lexus builds some of the safest, fuel efficient, reliable and luxurious cars....it's time for FUN. I don't mean an ad campaign with them doing donuts in the next GS in some parking lot. Leave that to BMW, Mazda and the rest. Just give owners more options, less nannys and restrictions and you know what?? Bring on the polarizing designs too. Let Toyota do the vanilla. I look forward to something that will hopefully rival the Jag XF and original MB CLS. It's time for Lexus to get sexy. we know they can do it. LF-A anyone?? Just my take guys.
Old 01-09-11, 12:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by batman75
I just got a customer research survey from Lexus powertrain. The first question validated if I am still driving a GS460. The remaining questions ascertained my satisfaction with passing ability, acceleration, and fuel efficiency, and the relative importance of these criteria.

I answered that I was dissatisfied with passing ability and acceleration, but satisfied with fuel efficiency, and rated passing ability and acceleration as 10 on a 1-10 scale of importance, and fuel efficiency as a 5.

I don't know how to interpret that they are doing this market research at this stage of the product development cycle. But I find it a little disturbing because I think they should have done this 18 months ago given the age of the current powertrains.
Very interesting. I highly doubt though that they're using this survey for the 4GS. 4GS specs and the design of the car itself have been final for a while now.

I think this survey is a good thing, which possibly indicates there will be a non-F 4GS faster than the GS460. Maybe we can hope that the V8 model will continue.

Originally Posted by designo
Look out for the 4th Gen GS GSF at Sema!
Very interesting. That means the regular 4GS will have to debut before that at some other show.
Old 01-09-11, 12:30 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Very interesting. That means the regular 4GS will have to debut before that at some other show.
Exactly. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-09-11, 02:06 PM
mikesm
Rookie

I was at CES and saw the new Toyota Entune system, which is meant to catch up to a finally admitted lag with their peers. The funny thing about Entune, is that it is totally touchscreen based! I though Toyota had basically decided (unwisely) to ditch the touchscreen for a rodent emulator. What gives with this.

Is Entune supposedly be for the low end only, and us high end lexus folks have to use an inferior system? I will be pissed if lexus isn't premium in toyota's telematics line...
Old 01-09-11, 10:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikesm
I was at CES and saw the new Toyota Entune system, which is meant to catch up to a finally admitted lag with their peers. The funny thing about Entune, is that it is totally touchscreen based! I though Toyota had basically decided (unwisely) to ditch the touchscreen for a rodent emulator. What gives with this.

Is Entune supposedly be for the low end only, and us high end lexus folks have to use an inferior system? I will be pissed if lexus isn't premium in toyota's telematics line...
Inferior?

I think some people would argue that a mouse system is better than a touchscreen, but to each their own.

I think Remote Touch will remain a Lexus-exclusive interface. Lexus may get the Entune software package, we'll see.
Old 01-10-11, 04:40 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Inferior?

I think some people would argue that a mouse system is better than a touchscreen, but to each their own.

I think Remote Touch will remain a Lexus-exclusive interface. Lexus may get the Entune software package, we'll see.
Though I like mouse systems. Hell I even like BMW's I-Drive but I really can't see how many people can dispute the the ease of using a touchscreen. Aside from what I feel are petty complaints of fingerprints. It's much more intuitive to use a touchscreen. If it's a pressure sensitivity issue I'm sure Denso and the like can make it so that we can adjust the settings to each individual's liking. I personally never have issues with my touch screens or it's sensitivity. Nor have I found it to be a distraction or ergonomically difficult. To me it just aids in a clean design while freeing up center consoles.

While a remote with hot keys may help, I really don't deem it necessary. And with touchscreens becoming more and more prevalent in our everyday lives, i.e. phones, refrigerators, laptops and such. Hey even ESPN uses theirs regularly in their broadcasts. It just seems like a natural progression to stay with and improve upon them. Perhaps a handwriting recognition software, similiar to the one being utilized in Audi's A8 would be great. I'd love to see more of what Toyota/Lexus has in store for the Entune system.
Old 01-10-11, 05:16 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Good point...But I'm thinking perhaps Lexus knows they are going to have to break from their predictable behavior and "shock the world". Starting with the next wave of sedans IS/ES/GS specifically the GS which is/was a beautiful conservative design which has often been imitated and in the eyes of many surpassed. While many of us here feel that the GS is a good looking car inside and out, even as it ages, it's Homerun time for Lexus. They have to build off of the momentum they gained with the L-finesse design philosophy and take it a step further. You have the Germans with their revamped line up who are always sales monsters in this segment. Infiniti hasn't backed down one bit with their current M cars, in spite of their lame marketing campaign. Even Audi's A6 is lurking right around the corner. And let's not discuss the Hyundai who in a strange way has the swagger of an 800lb gorilla right now. Lexus KNOWS that they MUST bring it this time around. They can't afford to make the same mistake from 2005.

Initially they came soft with the "underpowered" GS300. Which they corrected a year later with the powerful revamped 3.5 liter V-6. And as has been many times here already they should have not have de-tuned the 460 engine when they finally decided to put it in the GS 3 years later. We all know Lexus builds some of the safest, fuel efficient, reliable and luxurious cars....it's time for FUN. I don't mean an ad campaign with them doing donuts in the next GS in some parking lot. Leave that to BMW, Mazda and the rest. Just give owners more options, less nannys and restrictions and you know what?? Bring on the polarizing designs too. Let Toyota do the vanilla. I look forward to something that will hopefully rival the Jag XF and original MB CLS. It's time for Lexus to get sexy. we know they can do it. LF-A anyone?? Just my take guys.
I truly agree with you and I hope Lecus steps to the plate and I'm sad that lexus made that stupid move as did I and now I want the GS350 instead of my 300 but then agian my baby always screams power like clarkson when it wants to. I'm really saving my quarters for the GS-F I really hope they put it out cause I'm first in line at my dealership
Old 01-10-11, 09:51 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I truly agree with you and I hope Lecus steps to the plate and I'm sad that lexus made that stupid move as did I and now I want the GS350 instead of my 300 but then agian my baby always screams power like clarkson when it wants to. I'm really saving my quarters for the GS-F I really hope they put it out cause I'm first in line at my dealership
Yup, GS owners are just as excited about the GSF as M5 owners are about the upcoming F10 M5. I just hope Lexus are as commited as BMW are to their performance vehicle clients!
Old 01-10-11, 09:54 AM
designo
Pole Position

One more thing that came to my mind!

If Lexus decide to put hte high revving V10 into their GSF, I will be the first to jump ship! That sentiment will be echoed amongst many BMW followers who are still in favor of NA engines!

And since the Japs make great turbo cars, and with this GSF V10 coming out, the european manufacturers will suffer!

Let's just hope the Japanese Yen stays down!
Old 01-10-11, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by designo
One more thing that came to my mind!

If Lexus decide to put hte high revving V10 into their GSF, I will be the first to jump ship! That sentiment will be echoed amongst many BMW followers who are still in favor of NA engines!

And since the Japs make great turbo cars, and with this GSF V10 coming out, the european manufacturers will suffer!

Let's just hope the Japanese Yen stays down!
don't put your hopes up. it's a very sim chance that the lfa engine will go into any other lexus models. plus i don't think the engine is a good fit for the gs

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)