GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 05:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
If this is the next gen. GS...then I give this a big "FAIL!" This does not look sporty enough to have a GS badge on the rear.

However, I see this as being a decent improvement for the ES. From every detail and angle, the silver car looks like a refresh of the current ES.
I don't think so. The rear windows have the hoffmeister kink which has been a signature styling element of the GS since the 1GS. The rear light portion looks very similar to the IS. The front says CT200h which is what the head of Lexus design said would be the direction of the Lexus grille in the future.
Old 02-08-11, 05:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Its an epic fail. The car is too big for such small grille
Old 02-08-11, 06:18 PM
NKAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
Doesnt look real to me at all. Looks like chopped CT200h and current GS with Lexus concept wheels.

Wonder what it says about the 2.5L, 3.5L, 3.5L + Hybrid, and 4.6L though?
The blog article says that
V6 2.5L(4GR) will be added.
V6 3.5L(2GE) will continue to be delivered.
V6 3.5L+motor will continue to be delivered.
V8 4.6L will be eliminated.

The writer of the blog also says that if 4GS will be delivered as the same design as the pics of the magazine, Lexus will fail to grasp current GS owners' interest.

He also says that if Lexus delivers 4GS with 2JZ GTE engine, it will be "must-buy" GS.
Old 02-08-11, 07:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NKAZ
The blog article says that
V6 2.5L(4GR) will be added.
V6 3.5L(2GE) will continue to be delivered.
V6 3.5L+motor will continue to be delivered.
V8 4.6L will be eliminated.

The writer of the blog also says that if 4GS will be delivered as the same design as the pics of the magazine, Lexus will fail to grasp current GS owners' interest.

He also says that if Lexus delivers 4GS with 2JZ GTE engine, it will be "must-buy" GS.
So if it gets delivered with a retired engine from the 1990s it will be a must buy. What a nut!

The other points don't surprise me. I will be GS250, GS350, GS450h. New bodies, but same old engines. Eliminating the V8 and not improving the engines will move the car downmarket imo. I certainly wouldn't buy it.
Old 02-08-11, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Chop looks like a CT front with LS rear and GS C pillar. However KillerGS did state quad lamps are no more. GS may gain the "dumbo ears' the other Lexus sedans have. Porsche is said to get them for the 911 as well.

I can believe the engine specs, 2.5, 3.5, hybrid. The GS 350 doesn't really need much updating from an engine standpoint, while it might only have 303hp it still is with the 5 series fastest in class with the best MPG. However marketing may ask for 320hp or so. Not sure if any new engines are on the table outside of updated hybrid tech.

I do believe that Lexus will offer the GS F as a stand alone V-8 like Caddy does with the CTS-V. Not sure though.

With the great response to the LFA and IS F and with all that money and energy invested in F-sport and the "F" marque there has to be a GS F coming. There just has to be.

Old 02-08-11, 08:14 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GS 350 doesn't really need much updating from an engine standpoint, while it might only have 303hp it still is with the 5 series fastest in class
Some independent reviews have achieved 5.4-5.5s 0-60 times from 535i which puts it on par with GS460/450h. Its interesting to note that Lexus tends to claim best case 0-60 times, while BMW sandbags.

For the new car to be best in class from a speed and accelerations standpoint, it will have to be lighter than the current one.
Old 02-08-11, 09:53 PM
NKAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *Batman*
So if it gets delivered with a retired engine from the 1990s it will be a must buy. What a nut!

The other points don't surprise me. I will be GS250, GS350, GS450h. New bodies, but same old engines. Eliminating the V8 and not improving the engines will move the car downmarket imo. I certainly wouldn't buy it.
The point the blog writer said is that 4GS has to be equipped with more powerful engine which once Japanese GS300 (ARISTO) was equipped.
And he said that 2.5L engine is not necessary for 4GS line-up.

I think if 4GS is equipped with retired old engine, the writer won't buy it.

Last edited by NKAZ; 02-09-11 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-11, 10:02 PM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with Apple. People love touching things and tablets are set to explode. We have seen how touch screen phones are the standard now.

Either is fine to me, touch screen or remote touch.

I think the Tesla has a 17" all touch face screen.

Another thought is it might be cheaper for a brand to produce a large touch screen than a **** type system.

The GErmans are innovative but they have a history of not really thinking it out and making the consumer be the guinea pig. Then its hardly proven to be reliable. I find it ironic the German brands that are supposed to be "drivers cars" are heavier and bigger than ever and put everything in the car to DISTRACT the driver lol

IMO a touchscreen is INFINITELY better than those stupid *** **** systems. Touching something is way less distracting from the road than making sure you're twisting the **** the right way. (insert handjob joke here).

That looks cool though! : D They basically just need to put computers in each car that are connected to the internet through 3G, charge me a data plan through whoever and I'll pay it! lol.
Old 02-09-11, 04:46 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I can picture this as a good rendering of what it may look like.

I think it's a mistake to remove the quad headlights. The front grill looks bad, and IS-F bulges to the bumper along the Subaru style fog lights are disappointing.
Old 02-09-11, 11:41 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

They should really keep the concept of that front with the IS and CT models. But as someone else said it looks like that is the future look for Lexus...look at the 2011 IS
Old 02-09-11, 01:10 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

That rendering looks too conservative. It fits more in the bill of the LS.
Old 02-09-11, 01:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I wonder why Lexus thinks they can't sell a V8 mid-size sports sedan?

BMW sells a lot of them. Infiniti has strong sales. Hyundai has been doing well with V8 Genesis models, and they are now launching an R-Spec version with even more power.

I think there is market potential if they had enough power. I'm sure the GS460 would have had a lot more takers if they hadn't detuned it from 380hp.

I also think that if it is a V6 only model range, then it will fall from a prestige standpoint into a peer group consisting of V6 only cars like the Acura RL and Lincoln MKS.

GSF would be a good halo model for the GS but if they don't have GSF on day 1 then peoples perceptions will be formed around a V6 line-up.
Old 02-09-11, 01:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I wonder why Lexus thinks they can't sell a V8 mid-size sports sedan?

BMW sells a lot of them. Infiniti has strong sales. Hyundai has been doing well with V8 Genesis models, and they are now launching an R-Spec version with even more power.

I think there is market potential if they had enough power. I'm sure the GS460 would have had a lot more takers if they hadn't detuned it from 380hp.

I also think that if it is a V6 only model range, then it will fall from a prestige standpoint into a peer group consisting of V6 only cars like the Acura RL and Lincoln MKS.

GSF would be a good halo model for the GS but if they don't have GSF on day 1 then peoples perceptions will be formed around a V6 line-up.
Actually we don't have a break down of V-8 sales. 5 series sales overall are great. The m37/56 has flopped, they only sold 870 or so cars last month and it hasn't been out a year. Genesis never met sales goals.

Ten to fifteen years ago people were buying V-8s sedans like the E430, GS 400, 540 b/c there were not any other options. No Camaro, no Genesis, no Infinit, the Mustang performance was no better. Mags called them the V-8 pony cars of the day.

Today you can easily get a V-8 in different cars, 300C, Challenger etc.

I want to see a V-8 GS and a GS F but if they go with V-8 only in the GS F I can live with that.

If Lexus completely drops a V-8 from the GS line and no GS F I will likely move on to the IS F or LS sport when that time comes (if I stay with Lexus).

Old 02-09-11, 01:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

If Lexus completely drops a V-8 from the GS line and no GS F I will likely move on to the IS F or LS sport when that time comes (if I stay with Lexus).
Mike - if they drop the V8 completely, you and I should get Panamera S instead.
Old 02-09-11, 01:49 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If there wont be a v8 GS, then more people will buy the GSF. It will of course depend on the price of the GSF, lets hope it will be a reasonable one

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)