GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 09:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
did you turn off the fake surround mode? I love my ML in GS.

as to the brakes, they were fixed for me... no squeakies ;-)/
I did turn off the surround sound and it did improve the center channel a little bit but its still not worth the $2000 price tag.

They fix your brakes with the lower performance pads? I had the same thing done, but to me, I dont consider that a fix.
Old 12-11-09, 10:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
did you turn off the fake surround mode? I love my ML in GS.

as to the brakes, they were fixed for me... no squeakies ;-)/

I tried all kinds of adjustments and the ML was a $2K dissapointment in FM and CD formats.
DVD-A audio is dead now anyway.
I also went with the low friction pads.My dealer did the change out without a TSB.
To this day,I'm very happy with Lexus service.
Old 12-11-09, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will also add, the ml system in the gs is sub par (by ml standard), i am not too thrilled about it compared to say the 2is (not to mention 4ls).

but it's still noticeably better than the stock premium system.

i wouldn't call it a 2k option though, that's not fair coz' 2k includes the ml and navigation
Old 12-11-09, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I did turn off the surround sound and it did improve the center channel a little bit but its still not worth the $2000 price tag.

They fix your brakes with the lower performance pads? I had the same thing done, but to me, I dont consider that a fix.
not sure about pads, i am in europe... i dont notice any particular difference in performance.
Old 12-11-09, 10:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i will also add, the ml system in the gs is sub par (by ml standard), i am not too thrilled about it compared to say the 2is (not to mention 4ls).

but it's still noticeably better than the stock premium system.

i wouldn't call it a 2k option though, that's not fair coz' 2k includes the ml and navigation
Romini,the MV code ML/NAV package cost $3630 and the NAV alone was $1850.
So with tax and interest if financed,it's about $2K more for ML.
Old 12-11-09, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
really? this is really confusing. i was looking at
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/pricing.html

and it says about 2000 for nav + ml. never figure out how to read that page
Old 12-11-09, 11:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had the nav option as well, I negociated the invoice price on the nav option, I believe its few hundreds less than $1850, but the nav option was a disappointment as well with all the lockouts.
Old 12-11-09, 11:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
really? this is really confusing. i was looking at
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/pricing.html

and it says about 2000 for nav + ml. never figure out how to read that page
rom,here's an option list from Edmunds with list and invoice cost.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/lexu...on=1&x=99&y=14

P7 XM Satellite Radio info N/A N/A
WL Wheel Locks info N/A N/A
LM Trunk Mat info N/A N/A
-- All-Weather Floor Mats info N/A N/A
GN Cargo Net info N/A N/A
-- Rear Spoiler info N/A N/A
MV Mark Levinson Audio/Navigation Package info $3,630 $2,979
PS Pre-Collision System w/Adaptive Cruise Control info $2,850 $2,280
NV Navigation System info $1,850 $1,555
FL All-Season Run Flats Tires w/o Spare info $1,190 $952
MZ Lexus Link info $900 $760
FW Summer Tire w/18" Wheel and Spare info $870 $696
IT Interior Accents Package info $810 $648
CS Adaptive Variable Suspension info $620 $496
T RS Rain-Sensing Wipers info $525 $420
T WO Intuitive Park Assist info $500 $400
T LS Wood & Leather Steering Wheel info $330 $264
SS Power Rear Sunshade info $210 $168
T VS Ventilated Front Seats info $200 $160
T RF Rear Spoiler info $200 $160
T Typically Equipped Option
Select Color
Old 12-11-09, 12:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)

Anyway the reason why they really need to up the horsepower isn't because the last GSh was slow. It's because the Infiniti M hybrid is coming with upwards of 370hp. Lexus needs to beat Infiniti on horsepower and performance as well as beating them on efficiency if they want the GSh to still be relevant.

Also as far as price is concerned, it probably should be positioned above the V8 model since it's faster and it should also be more powerful than the V8 model. $60K would make it sit nicely between the base V6 and the F model.

I don't expect the hybrid or the F model to sell in high numbers even if it were more efficient. Lexus should save the RX setup for an ESh and take the GSh to the next level (btw an ESh would be more like $45K nicely equipped ).

I doubt Lexus cares much what Infiniti does with the M or its hybrid powertrain and doubt they will playing hp wars with a less recognized brand like Infiniti especially with looming CAFE, fuel prices, and the economy. Lexus does not need big hp numbers or great handling to sell cars where Infiniti does. Yes the current M does sell better then the GS but that has much to do with the M being reviewed so well, placing high on Consumer reports while the GS was put on the not recommended list, having much more interior/headroom, better deals on the M, so so styling on the GS, etc. If Lexus comes out with a good looking GS that addresses the faults of the current GS which I am sure they will then the GS is going to sell better then the M no matter how much hp the M has.

I don't think Lexus is going to make the same mistake they did with the current GSh where it is obvious people in this market don't want to pay a bunch more for the hybrid version that does not get great fuel economy but has the higher hp numbers. There is little to no market for expensive hybrid versions that are more acceleration oriented then fuel economy oriented. A smaller engined version that gets much better fuel economy and is not too much more then the base version makes much more sense and there is a much bigger market for that type of hybrid.

I don't think Lexus or really any company these days can really afford to do a expensive poor selling hybrid version with high hp numbers on any new models just for bragging rights.
Old 12-11-09, 01:43 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I doubt Lexus cares much what Infiniti does with the M or its hybrid powertrain and doubt they will playing hp wars with a less recognized brand like Infiniti especially with looming CAFE, fuel prices, and the economy. Lexus does not need big hp numbers or great handling to sell cars where Infiniti does. Yes the current M does sell better then the GS but that has much to do with the M being reviewed so well, placing high on Consumer reports while the GS was put on the not recommended list, having much more interior/headroom, better deals on the M, so so styling on the GS, etc. If Lexus comes out with a good looking GS that addresses the faults of the current GS which I am sure they will then the GS is going to sell better then the M no matter how much hp the M has.

I don't think Lexus is going to make the same mistake they did with the current GSh where it is obvious people in this market don't want to pay a bunch more for the hybrid version that does not get great fuel economy but has the higher hp numbers. There is little to no market for expensive hybrid versions that are more acceleration oriented then fuel economy oriented. A smaller engined version that gets much better fuel economy and is not too much more then the base version makes much more sense and there is a much bigger market for that type of hybrid.

I don't think Lexus or really any company these days can really afford to do a expensive poor selling hybrid version with high hp numbers on any new models just for bragging rights.
Actually the GS as a whole is recommended. The GS AWD is not recommended. Oppositely, the GS450h was rated top 5 most reliable in its class, ranking above the M in reliability.

I think the article as a whole is a joke. They need to do something to up the power on the 250, such as make a hybrid, if they really want it in the GS. It is pretty sluggish in the IS already. What I'm really hoping for is a GS500h w/about 380-400hp (maybe using the same engine w/more electric?) and a little bit better fuel economy.
Old 12-11-09, 02:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps, even, the GS F will be a hybrid?
Old 12-11-09, 02:53 PM
LexFather

You are wrong again as I've posted the sales results. The GS has ousold the M35/45 every year EXCEPT this one.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've read some people clearly not checking facts trying to say the M35/45 has always outsold the GS but they are completely wrong.

We know the GS has outsold in the 1990s as it was discontinued. The 3GS and M35/45 debuted the same month of February back in 2005. The GS outsold the M 35/45 in 05/06/07/08 .For 2009, the M finally will outsell the GS but both are now selling poorly,

GS- 33,457
M35/45-24,000
GS-27,390
M35/45-25,658
GS-23,381
M35/45-21,884
GS- 15,759
M35/45- 15,618
M 35/45-7,693
GS 6,377

\
Now considering Infiniti has never done this well at that price, its a great accomplishment for them no matter the sales tactics. Considering how the GS gets beat up by some people, you would think it sold like the RL or something.

You are wrong about the GSh b/c IT WAS ALWAYS a limited production vehicle. It still is the first and only in its class. They stated this from day one, only 2,000 units max were coming here. I am not going to sit here and type it is some highly desirable vehicle as I would be lying but to compare it to something it never was meant to be, a volume car, is WRONG.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-11-09 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-11-09, 04:30 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said this a page or two back, but Lexus doesn't need to worry about CAFE numbers. They can produce whatever they want because their numbers are counted with Toyota's. I find it ironic that the same time Lexus is about to expand the F lineup Toyota is planning to expand the Prius lineup. Toyota is going to sell hundreds of thousands more Prius than Lexus is going to sell "F"s, and CAFE numbers are calculated by sales.

So back to the hybrid debate. Lexus can't take the GSh downmarket in the US because for one they have the HS, and for two they are going to have an ESh. Leaving no place but UP for the GSh. The GS is and will probably always be a performance hybrid so comparison with the upcoming M hybrid is inevitable, so Lexus needs to be aggressive with the performance numbers on paper and the driving experience on the road with the next GSh.

Originally Posted by lucasb7
What I'm really hoping for is a GS500h w/about 380-400hp (maybe using the same engine w/more electric?) and a little bit better fuel economy.
+1

That's exactly what I'm expecting, and hoping for. Going downmarket with the GSh makes no sense, and Lexus needs to take it to the next level. GS500h please

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Perhaps, even, the GS F will be a hybrid?
I doubt it. Once and if the LFA becomes a hybrid then I can see other F models being hybrid. Right now I'm hoping for a supercharged 500hp GS F.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are wrong about the GSh b/c IT WAS ALWAYS a limited production vehicle. It still is the first and only in its class. They stated this from day one, only 2,000 units max were coming here. I am not going to sit here and type it is some highly desirable vehicle as I would be lying but to compare it to something it never was meant to be, a volume car, is WRONG.[/IMG]
Bingo. Hence why I don't think Lexus will take it downmarket. The HS will be Lexus's high volume hybrid.
Old 12-11-09, 07:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Cj with all due respect, what the heck does GSh have to do with HS and ES?

"Downmarket" GSh would start at GS350 prices which are 10k more than those two FWD cars.
Old 12-11-09, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

also UDel, GS450h got awesome economy for what it was... but with the trunk that could fit few sheets of A4 paper, it was always limited production vehicle :-)

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)