GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think people should stop paying that much attention on those renderings
Old 02-17-11, 12:01 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the regular GS looks better in that photoshop than the GS-F. They both look awkward and I doubt Lexus will make their cars look that generic. It's like a 4-door CT without the hatchback feature, or an extended Toyota Avensis with a different front end. I don't think so.
Old 02-17-11, 12:50 AM
miro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We haven't even seen the camouflaged spy shots yet (unless brenda priddy &co aren't on their game) just 1 mule so the car must be what...half a year or so away from release?
Old 02-17-11, 02:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by miro
We haven't even seen the camouflaged spy shots yet (unless brenda priddy &co aren't on their game) just 1 mule so the car must be what...half a year or so away from release?
Toyota is super-stringent these days about potential leaks or spy photos of future products. We may see only a few spy shots before debut, or we may actually see none at all.

I would guess the production GS debuts at an autoshow either this spring or this fall, with it going on sale early next year, according to the word here on CL.
Old 02-18-11, 08:04 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Lexus did a great job with the IS-F as a first time M, RS, AMG contender. Performance on par with a slight price advantage.

Now they need to do it right again. GS-F needs to be 500hp plus to compete with the likes of the new M5, the RS6, the E63, the XF-R (well not really this one). Making this car comparable in performance and luxury to the above mentioned cars, I can't imagine that Lexus will be able to get this car to fall anywhere below $80k. I would assume starting in the $80k range and then tipped to the gills just over $90k. Not to mention timeline. New M5will bow within a year, the E63 is currently available, the RS6 should be within 2 years and the XF is currently in the phase of getting a facelift. If they drop the GS-F it has to be a MY13 released sometime mid 2012 in my opinion.
Old 02-22-11, 06:35 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Ive talked to the people who have seen the new GS in person and they described it something similar to a 4-door Maserati GT. Very sporty, front end with a really low line etc. Nothing like the current car or those funny renderings posted here.
PS! New gen GS hybrid is first so called full-led car in the world, all light sources will use only led's - in and outside the car.

Last edited by Itsuki_23; 02-22-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 07:53 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The GS is a very important vehicle in the line up. It is a direct competitor to the E / 5 series. I feel Lexus has been on a bad streak with introduction of new vehicles, the HS is a poor seller, the new GX was a disappointment to me, the new RX is probably selling well though I am not a fan of the looks. This GS needs to get them back on track.
Old 02-22-11, 09:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
The GS is a very important vehicle in the line up. It is a direct competitor to the E / 5 series. I feel Lexus has been on a bad streak with introduction of new vehicles, the HS is a poor seller, the new GX was a disappointment to me, the new RX is probably selling well though I am not a fan of the looks. This GS needs to get them back on track.
I agree, the omens are not good. One bright spot is that the CT did have a nice interior.

That said, Lexus has a loyal customer base who appreciate the value proposition:
1) Lower pricing and lower depreciation than the more established brands
2) Reliability
3) Bias to fuel efficiency rather than performance
4) Not too complicated to use (simple practical technology)
5) Understated rather than opulent

Having said that, I'm slowly realizing I'm not a Lexus driver. I just don't like what I give up for the lower pricing, fuel efficiency and reliability.
Old 02-22-11, 11:12 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Fact: the new RX is a smash hit sales-wise. Whether a few enthusiasts here or there don't like the looks doesn't matter. The MARKET has responded, and the new RX is simply a smashing success. I feel it's a great design, but design is subjective. We can't all like or hate the same designs, now can we?

The HS looks lame, but it is a NICHE car. It was never designed to be a core Lexus model. Either North America doesn't get a next-gen HS, or it will be much improved.

CT is a model designed mainly for Europe. It will be a niche model in North America, because luxury hatches exist in a niche market in North America.

I think the GX looks better than the previous-gen, but again this is all subjective. The previous-gen GX looked like a Toyota because it WAS a Toyota, a rebadged Prado to be exact. The new GX is a real Lexus, with it's own unique interior and exterior to differentiate from the Toyota Prado.

In conclusion, I really can't imagine how someone could say Lexus has been "on a bad streak" or that the "omens are bad". Unless you are someone that has insider information, and knows something we don't about future Lexus products, I wouldn't be so quick to judge or jump to conclusions. Then again, it doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
Ive talked to the people who have seen the new GS in person and they described it something similar to a 4-door Maserati GT. Very sporty, front end with a really low line etc. Nothing like the current car or those funny renderings posted here.
PS! New gen GS hybrid is first so called full-led car in the world, all light sources will use only led's - in and outside the car.
Very interesting details if true. Let's hope some of these rumors don't disappoint and the new GS is a smash hit. A front end with low lines would mean an engine mounted low.

As for the LEDs, I'm a bit worried about that, if true, I hope it doesn't look tacky, and that Lexus makes it look elegant.
Old 02-22-11, 11:22 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Then again, it doesn't surprise me.
what exactly does this mean ?
Old 02-22-11, 11:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
what exactly does this mean ?
Just that sometimes people on the internet are too quick to judge or make conclusions based on loose assumptions.

I won't judge Lexus future product because I don't know the details and have not seen what the future Lexus models look like yet.

All we have to go by are rumors; we don't know the actual details yet.
Old 02-22-11, 11:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also heard the rumor about the 4GS being all LED. Like TRD states, I hope (and think) they do it tastefully because cars like the current S Class are a little over the top, IMO.
Old 02-22-11, 11:49 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just that sometimes people on the internet are too quick to judge or make conclusions based on loose assumptions.

I won't judge Lexus future product because I don't know the details and have not seen what the future Lexus models look like yet.

All we have to go by are rumors; we don't know the actual details yet.
I agree. I just remember seeing the line-up around 2005/6/7 and thought that all the products looked great. I am a bit disappointed with the minor refreshes to the LS and GS to a certain degree, I was seriously considering the GX but it is not a nice as I expected and I think much of that has to do with its size constraints, should be sl bigger but cant be really. I dont like to see the hs look so much like a corolla, but whatever. Lets see what the new GS looks like.....time will tell
Old 02-22-11, 11:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The GS and LS refreshes were somewhat disappointing I agree. The GS got a handicapped 4.6L V8, and the LS hybrid got a very questionable grille. The LS did receive a sport model which apparently drives great, but the tacked-on body kit pieces (instead of having unique bumpers) look out of place on the sport model.

Hopefully Lexus debuts either the new GS or new ES at the New York show in April. I would then expect another major Lexus debut in Tokyo this fall.
Old 02-22-11, 12:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't really argue with my perception that Lexus is not on a roll.

But separately, if they were doing everything so well, they wouldn't still be the number 4 luxury car manufacturer by global units sold. Constructive criticism is important here, and my contribution to that is that the designs of the CT, GX and HS are pretty uninspiring. I don't say wow, I ask if they ran out of imagination. Particularly in the context of the run from IS, GS, ES and LS which were all stunning at the time they were launched.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)