GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11 | 12:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You can't really argue with my perception that Lexus is not on a roll.

But separately, if they were doing everything so well, they wouldn't still be the number 4 luxury car manufacturer by global units sold. Constructive criticism is important here, and my contribution to that is that the designs of the CT, GX and HS are pretty uninspiring. I don't say wow, I ask if they ran out of imagination. Particularly in the context of the run from IS, GS, ES and LS which were all stunning at the time they were launched.
Maybe as you said Lexus is not for you. Maybe you would be happy with a German brand instead.
Old 02-22-11 | 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i think launching the GS together with the IS in the same year was a mistake. the IS is great and took a lot of attention, and the GS....
Old 02-22-11 | 12:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i think launching the GS together with the IS in the same year was a mistake. the IS is great and took a lot of attention, and the GS....
Hopefully Lexus does not repeat the same mistake again, but it looks like it could possibly happen.
Old 02-22-11 | 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hopefully Lexus does not repeat the same mistake again, but it looks like it could possibly happen.
i know, that's what i am praying too....
Old 02-22-11 | 12:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Maybe as you said Lexus is not for you. Maybe you would be happy with a German brand instead.
I did say that. But if the problem is how does Lexus go from being number 4 to being number 1, clearly it needs to win over people who buy German cars.

I'm a good example. I had 4 BMWs in a row and then I bought a Lexus. I bought the Lexus because the 2008 GS460 had better styling and engineering than The E60 550i which would've been my default purchase. The styling was clearly better, the nicer interior, the 8 speed gearbox and electric steering were the other factors that caused me to switch brand.

Now as a swing voter, I see BMW with much more interesting designs (a departure from trend, much nicer interiors, and copying the electric steering feel, comfort mode, 8 speed box, and other luxuries of the Lexus. I also look at the recent suv launches and find the X5 much nicer than the new GX which looks to me the same as the old one. This os why if I were to choose again today, I would go the other way. Today there is not one Lexus model I would choose over a BMW (back in 2008 there were three).

But the good news is it looks like the recent launches will certainly keep happy those who have been buying Lexus cars for several years.

I wish they do step it up. The German car manufacturers lack product durability, and they are increasing prices rapidly. I would love for Lexus to be competitive like it was from 2005-2008.
Old 02-22-11 | 03:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

If Lexus launches the ES late next year, as was recently reported, that would only be within a few months of the GS launch.

While the IS and GS launches were too close together in '05, launching two midsize sedans (regardless of price point and what you want to classify them as) would be an even worse idea, IMO.

They need to drop the ES in late Q3 2011 and do the GS in late Q2 next year as a 2013 model, with the IS to follow in late Q2 or early Q3 of 2013. That would theoretically push the LS out until late 2013 or early 2014 for a redesign, but then again, Lexus does seem to favor very long model cycles lately.
Old 02-22-11 | 09:05 PM
LexFather

On the phone so I'll reply to more later. In regards to worldwide sales remember the majority of German sales are 4 cylinder diesels. The e class is a taxi. Most German cars sold in Germany are fleet sales. Etc etc.

I have no real new info on the GS except it looks "dramatically" different and the dealers love the look. It will debut next spring.

It seems Lexus has indeed pushed back the Es and very likely the IS/LS to stagger the new releases and from my understanding to make them even more competitive. More wheel options were mentioned with bigger optional sizes.

The 4GS is supposed usher in the new era for Lexus with more emphasis on sport.
Old 02-22-11 | 09:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
On the phone so I'll reply to more later. In regards to worldwide sales remember the majority of German sales are 4 cylinder diesels. The e class is a taxi. Most German cars sold in Germany are fleet sales. Etc etc.

I have no real new info on the GS except it looks "dramatically" different and the dealers love the look. It will debut next spring.

It seems Lexus has indeed pushed back the Es and very likely the IS/LS to stagger the new releases and from my understanding to make them even more competitive. More wheel options were mentioned with bigger optional sizes.

Sounds great. Will we get a glimpse in Geneva?
Old 02-25-11 | 12:17 AM
bigblacktl
Driver School Candidate

WOW, thats gets me excited hopefully it lives up to its hype!! I pray they base it's style sort of like the 2GS! All in all I cant wait to be part of the lexus family and hopefully join in with the GS-F!
Old 02-27-11 | 01:47 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Good to hear, hopefully the staggered release schedule for new Lexus models make sense. More wheel options are definitely a good thing. Also it's good to hear Lexus will be emphasizing more sport, as long as they still keep the luxury emphasis on their more luxurious models. The sporty models obviously need a sport emphasis. IS and GS need more emphasis on sport, while models like the RX, ES, and LS need to maintain a strong luxury emphasis.
Old 03-02-11 | 11:14 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

That's disappointing. I have a 2008 and bought it because of the way it looks.
Old 03-02-11 | 06:21 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Default F Troop - New and Future Cars

Hmm not sure on the styling but the engine sounds hot.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/lexus-f-troop

Lexus’ F Troop - New and Future Cars
The GS F will represent the highest-performance trim level.
By Sam Mitani / Photo-Illustration by Best Car

November 22, 2010

Lexus has recently introduced the “F” line to the U.S. public in the form of the IS F, but now the company intends to make the brand flourish by adding a number of new models to the line. The big one that’s reportedly waiting in the wings is the GS F.

The GS F will represent the highest-performance trim level in a line that consist of the GS 350, GS 460 and GS 450h. What will set the GS F apart from the others will be its engine. Our sources tell us that it will come with a 5.0-liter V-8 that will produce about 465 bhp. Toyota predicts the car will run from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds, making it a serious rival for both the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. The secret to its performance will not only be engine power, but also weight, or lack thereof. Toyota engineers want to pare the weight down to about 3700 lb. by incorporating aluminum and carbon-fiber parts. The GS F will probably cost around $90,000 to $100,000 and may make an appearance as early as 2012.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-fc_lexus-f-troop_span.jpg  
Old 03-02-11 | 06:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LIMS407
i really need to save up before new design come out,,hope they just redesign the front like benz SL,,,i know its not gonna happen tho
It's just a major facelift for the SL, not a redesign ...
Old 03-02-11 | 06:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alexulan
Hmm not sure on the styling but the engine sounds hot.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/lexus-f-troop
No more quad lights right ? I don't think 4GS will look anything like that ...
Old 03-02-11 | 06:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

While a GS-F would be cool, I commented elsewhere that I never EVER see GS 460s or GS 450hs. And I live in what has been rated as the wealthiest county in PA for the last 15 years running. I just don't think that a GS-F would sell well. Prove me wrong Lexus.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)