GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Release Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 04:29 PM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carscoop
Time is up for Lexus to pull the wraps off reveal the third-generation GS luxury sedan that made its first outing today at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California.

Based on the LF-Gh concept we saw in New York, the new GS features much bolder lines that its predecessor. Key highlights include a prominent trapezoidal grille that the company says will be a trademark of all future models, deep-set headlamps with L-shaped LED daytime running lights and an aerodynamic body that brings to mind the smaller IS.

Lexus' Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class challenger is underpinned by a revised platform that is more rigid thanks to the increased number of spot welds as well as laser welds in specific locations.

The engineers also redesigned the suspension, which features aluminum upper, and lower control arms for reduced unsprung weight and an updated rear subframe that supports a new multilink suspension.

The mid-size sedan also features wider tracks (+40 mm up front and +50 mm at the rear) and different shock absorbers with lighter-viscosity oil, allowing for faster response to small driver inputs. Braking is taken care of ventilated discs all around with four-piston calipers up front.

In Europe, Lexus will offer the entry level GS 250 (we presume equipped with the IS's 2.5-liter V6 as the company did not reveal any specific details) and a GS 450h full-hybrid version, whereas in the US the line-up will include the GS 350 and the GS 450h.

The North American market GS 350 is motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 generating 306-horsepower and 277-pound-feet of torque, enough to propel the premium sedan from 0 to 60mph (96km/h) in 5.7 seconds and on to a top speed of 142mph (228 km/h). Acceleration from 30 to 50 mph takes 3.0 seconds. The V6 engine is linked to a six-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters and sport driving functions as standard equipment.

Lexus will offer the GS 350 in both rear-wheel and all-wheel drive versions. According to the Japanese automaker, the optional electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system can vary front-to-rear torque balance from 50/50 to as much as 30/70, depending on driving conditions.

Although its dimensions are almost identical to the outgoing model, the new Lexus GS offers improved space in the cabin, while boot capacity has been increased by 25%. Entry and exit are made easier thanks to wider door openings and the redesigned seat frame and steering column give the driver better visibility as well as increased comfort.

The dashboard’s design bears no relation to that of the outgoing GS, with the styling clearly inspired from the LF-A sportscar.

It features cleaner lines while highlights include the extra-large touchscreen (up to 12.3 inches) and the relocated controls for the audio (a 17-speaker Mark Levinson, if you tick the options box) and climate system. The latter uses a new, energy saving technology called S-Flow with an occupant-detection system to direct airflow only to the front area where passengers are actually seated.

In this class, a multimedia all-in-one control system is practically compulsory and the new GS has its own “next generation Remote Touch with one-push confirmation” as standard for “intuitive operation of climate, audio and phone controls as well as the navigation system” (Lexus’ words, not ours…).

In terms of safety, the new GS features a huge array of both passive and active safety features. There are 10 airbags in total, including knee ones for both driver and front passenger and side airbags for rear passengers.

The new GS can be equipped with a pre-collision system that uses the radar cruise control system to detect a probable accident and an infrared camera that monitors the driver’s eyes. If it detects that he is not looking forward when road circumstances suggest that an accident is probable, it sounds an alarm. If the driver doesn’t respond the system will automatically activate the brakes, reducing the severity of the impact.

Lexus said that it will also offer an F-Sport Package with styling and chassis upgrades.

GS-F Sport Teaser

Link

Last edited by modernx; 08-18-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 04:38 PM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by ted920
Totally AGREE, the LEATHER SHIFTER BOOT IS OUT OF PLACE AND LOOKS LIKE CRAP. Stupid Lexus decision.

I will continue to echo previous sentiments, the care look lbland, boring, totally unimaginative on the exterior. Size mirros, can they get any bigger?
nice job on the grill !
Door handles look bad as well. How about something more sleek like on the concept.

The interior is OK at best w/ exception of the dumbass leather shifter.

Just another boring Lexus GS, like that 3rd gen monstrosity.

No wonder Gs is doomed to a 4th or 5th place position in this segment behind BMW, Mercedes, Audi.

Where's the progress Lexus?
Ditto!

This is suppose to take out the 5 series? and the F-Sport is suppose to take out the M5? LOL!
Old 08-18-11, 04:53 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Not really liking the exterior of the car. Front end reminds me of a Honda Accord and the whole car in general looks like an ES350.

The interior does look very nice though. Match the interior up with the Lf-gh concept and it would've been a great seller.

Seems as though Lexus really isn't looking to differentiate the cars in its lineup.
Old 08-18-11, 04:53 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
It's ok. I suppose that Lexus has done enough to keep me as a customer.
What does this even mean? You mean you're going to settle?

Why settle for a 50k car you barely even like?

Unless of course you actually do like the 4GS now but don't want to fully admit?
Old 08-18-11, 04:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 350forMe
Ditto!

This is suppose to take out the 5 series? and the F-Sport is suppose to take out the M5? LOL!
i doubt fsport can touch the m5
Old 08-18-11, 04:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Just to clarify, that picture of the supposed GS-F has sport under the F badge so we can assume that is F sport and it is not meant to 'take out' the M5.

I think the 4GS is well equipped to take on the E and 5.
Old 08-18-11, 05:06 PM
modernx
Rookie

updated my previous post with more pics
Old 08-18-11, 05:11 PM
bjjones
Driver

Excuse my exuberance, but Lexus hit a home run with the new GS! Was a little worried after viewing some of the leaked pics from China (whew)! The 4th generation GS certainly has other design ques from current Lexus models CT/LS/IS, but IMO the exterior looks like a smaller refined LS. Still not completely sold on the European influenced interior, but will have to see it in the flesh before I can make a true evaluation. Welcome back to the top Lexus!

Last edited by bjjones; 08-18-11 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

more trunk space than the current LS...!!!
Old 08-18-11, 05:23 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree that these pics are much better than what I was bashing this morning. The interior is really nice - but that has always been a strong suit for Lexus. I'm let down that they did not incorporate the 8 speed auto - considering that Audi, BMW, M-B and Infiniti all offer 7 or 8 speeds even in their lesser models.

Anyone also notice that tire sizes are smaller than current? Might sound like a little thing, but wider meats pushed out to the edges always give cars a much nicer "attitude".

Now we just need to see if they keep the price in the same neighborhood that it's in now.
Old 08-18-11, 05:23 PM
V8_MPG
Pole Position

I hope this time the rear seats can be folded.
Old 08-18-11, 05:25 PM
modernx
Rookie

[youtube]sSTOB_0NqOA[/youtube]
Old 08-18-11, 05:25 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I was also wondering, some say that these pictures are better than the China released ones. I honestly don't see any difference between the two other than color of the car and shadows.
Old 08-18-11, 05:26 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i have a feeling Lexus will pull the same crap again with the gen 4 GS, which is after the initial model year, upgrade the engine all across the board with a direct inject V6 and a twin turbo V8. they did that with the gen 3 GS. that p*ssed off a lot of '06 GS300 buyers. let's face it, the current 3.5 V6 is long in the tooth. all Luxury brands are doing this now, the first couple model years into the new design keep the same motors to keep the cost down. when the initial excitement of the new design starts to wear off then throw in a brand new line of engines. brilliant marketing idea. My wife can't wait to trade in her Acura TL for the new GS, but i'm talking her out of it for now.
Old 08-18-11, 05:36 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overall impression of exterior:

I'm disappointment by the exterior, I don't think it looks expensive enough, nor does it leave much of a lasting impression. It's better than the E-class and M, but I think it trails both the 5 series and A6 in this area.

Surfaces are generally subdued, the elongated chrome fangs on the grill are a ridiculously stupid decision, the door handles are not as expensive looking as those on the ES and LS, neither are the mirrors, and the rear bumper is very dull.

On the flip side the stance looks good, lighting looks interesting and it's inoffensive overall. However I don't think it looks very desirable, at least not as much as it should.

Quick Reply: 4GS Release Discussion!