GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Release Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
This confirmed it for me. My new sedan will NOT be a GS. I think most buyers in this segment will agree with me in that the Germans (namely BMW) have won this generation of midsize sedans. Even if I did want to stay with a Japanese manufacturer I would go with the M series of Infiniti. Hell, I might even go with the Korean Hyundai and save a few bucks! I think Lexus' GS line has declined since the 2nd generation with the exception of the GS450H. But the styling is more bland than ever. The performance numbers that I've seen so far have been disappointing. I just don't know many people who will spend $50k+ plus for this when so many other better options are available. But I do understand that not everyone has my tastes and that there are many people that like these vanilla luxury cars that Lexus makes. Once I sell my current GS, I doubt that I'll buy another Lexus, with the exception of a hybrid model.
while i am not saying which one has won it all, but i am not sure if i agree with you either, i don't think you have seen the car in person especially the interior, let alone driving it.

for one i think the interior wins over the m and e, 5 is close. exterior i agree is a toss. and genesis? while it's good, it's quality is still no match to the other 4 brands imho.
Old 08-20-11, 10:02 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Mr Burns you're saying that they look alike or what?

People say it looks like an Audi, some say Hyundai, Accord, BMW, Mark X, Infiniti M, Kia Cadenza...etc The thing is, ever thought all cars in this generation look alike?
+1, I agree. Auto makers are running out of ideas, or designers are jumping ship and taking their designs with them. I saw a Buick today and though, hmm Lexus, no Infiniti...nah Jaguar. It's getting very difficulty to differentiate.

Wow, I was big fan of M, until now, I convinced myself, I was okay with the hood, but now no much.
Old 08-20-11, 10:08 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
in the side profile shot above, it makes it look like the rear overhang is way too long and makes the rear doors look too short.
I like the rear overhang, it adds weight to the back of the wheels, but I don't think it's extreme.

Originally Posted by rominl
while i am not saying which one has won it all, but i am not sure if i agree with you either, i don't think you have seen the car in person especially the interior, let alone driving it.

for one i think the interior wins over the m and e, 5 is close. exterior i agree is a toss. and genesis? while it's good, it's quality is still no match to the other 4 brands imho.
The interior should beat out the 5 series as well in terms of materials and details. The exterior I'd say is on par with the A6 but below the 5 series and ahead of both the E and M. The drive is the big question mark.
Old 08-20-11, 10:13 PM
LexFather

This confirmed it for me. My new sedan will NOT be a GS. I think most buyers in this segment will agree with me in that the Germans (namely BMW) have won this generation of midsize sedans. Even if I did want to stay with a Japanese manufacturer I would go with the M series of Infiniti. Hell, I might even go with the Korean Hyundai and save a few bucks! I think Lexus' GS line has declined since the 2nd generation with the exception of the GS450H. But the styling is more bland than ever. The performance numbers that I've seen so far have been disappointing. I just don't know many people who will spend $50k+ plus for this when so many other better options are available. But I do understand that not everyone has my tastes and that there are many people that like these vanilla luxury cars that Lexus makes. Once I sell my current GS, I doubt that I'll buy another Lexus, with the exception of a hybrid model.
I would ban you Regg but superman lost his powers FYI me and Lt. Lex go waaaaay back, he's a car guy, in Japan now. Don't let the low post count fool yall, I vouch for him.

I think what he might be saying is kind of how I feel about the GS styling. I like it but it simply looks more upright and LS like, completely losing its coupe like profile the last 2 gens. Its an odd feeling b/c I always wondered how an upright GS would look but I really have to see it in person.

Washed the car today with the 20" Vossens dropped and just love the looks of the 3GS now and the coupe like curved shape. The 4GS tries to keep some of it but its more a traditional 3 box shape.
Old 08-20-11, 10:14 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Mr Burns you're saying that they look alike or what?

People say it looks like an Audi, some say Hyundai, Accord, BMW, Mark X, Infiniti M, Kia Cadenza...etc The thing is, ever thought all cars in this generation look alike?

I agree, that interior is leaps and bounds above the competition. The same arguments people are making about the new GS, has been made about the competition. The Audi boards do not like the refresh and changes coming to A5/S5/A4/S4 line up for next year. When the new BMW 5 was released last year a lot of people called it too safe, while other said you need to see it in person to appreciate it. Some people are hating the direction of the next generation 3 series.

What I've noticed especially with the German auto makers is all the cars are looking like minimized or enlarged versions across all lines. I've test drove Volvo S60 & S40, Audi A4 & A6, and have looked at Bimmers, all nice cars, but when you get on the lot is like a million of the same eyes staring back at you. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on person, Lexus is indicating this is their direction too.
Old 08-20-11, 10:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

We all complained about trunk space in the 3GS, now that Lexus has solved it and given us a trunk size worthy of the LS, we're still not happy.

This is definitely an obvious symptom of never-gonna-be-happy-no-matter-what syndrome.

I for one, welcome a large trunk, car looks great, trunk space is plentiful as well as passenger room.
Old 08-20-11, 10:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am still STUNNED at the amount of technology available in the new GS:

- 18 way power adjustable seats
- 10 airbags
- rear seat controls
- 17 speaker, 10 channel, 800W+ ML system with class-D amplifier
- 12.3" screen with split-screen view, smartphone integration and upgradeable apps
- tri-zone climate control with S-flow technology
- pre-collision system
- lane-keep assist
- driver monitoring system
- blind spot monitoring system
- 2nd-generation Remote Touch
- HD Radio with iTunes tagging
- night vision
- heads up display
- transmission downshift throttle blipping

All this is just on the BASE model GS. Just imagine what other technology the GS hybrid and other GS variants will bring.
i'm totally blown away by how technically advanced the 4GS is (compared vis-a-vis to the 3GS). yes, you expect next gen to be better, but not this good!

i've watched the youtube videos of the 4GS (posted elsewhere in 4GS forum), and i'm impressed about how little it rolled through the corners.

it got me thinking - i wonder if apsss will still be an option for the 4GS?
Old 08-20-11, 10:18 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Washed the car today with the 20" Vossens dropped and just love the looks of the 3GS now and the coupe like curved shape. The 4GS tries to keep some of it but its more a traditional 3 box shape.
That stung a bit lol...I was putting air in my borrowed 199X Chevy Caviler today and some body in lowered SGM 3GS with a nice set up rims pulled up behind and I could do is stare and weep. Guy must've of thought I was some weirdo lol
Old 08-20-11, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I like the rear overhang, it adds weight to the back of the wheels, but I don't think it's extreme.

The interior should beat out the 5 series as well in terms of materials and details. The exterior I'd say is on par with the A6 but below the 5 series and ahead of both the E and M. The drive is the big question mark.
i tend to think gs has the edge too, but that's one thing i want to wait till i see the car in person to decide

Originally Posted by G Star
We all complained about trunk space in the 3GS, now that Lexus has solved it and given us a trunk size worthy of the LS, we're still not happy.

This is definitely an obvious symptom of never-gonna-be-happy-no-matter-what syndrome.

I for one, welcome a large trunk, car looks great, trunk space is plentiful as well as passenger room.
i am all for bigger trunk too, by comparison i rather deal with more rear overhang like this and having the stupid trunk in my gs350

however i disagree that it's either one or another. fwiw i think e class proportion looks great and the trunk shape / space is fantastic
Old 08-20-11, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Well I told Lexus I needed a bigger trunk to put all the internet kills I have in the back. The current trunk is small, I have to borrow the RX, and make sure the back is clean before I return it.

With an 18 cube+ trunk, I can comfortably fit 1 maybe 2 internet kills in the back before dumping the evidence

That is a really big trunk and no crap will be a selling point for some that want a black Lexus
Old 08-20-11, 10:46 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

well over 18 cubic feet is a bit much dont you think? I think they purposely had to make it that big in order to get decent trunk space into the hybrid.
Old 08-20-11, 11:59 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Nano-e is industry first and is actually on USDM GS350 website, so yes, it will be here... positive ions to make your mood better! :P
Eh?

I've only seen the JDM models have the Nanoe logo (so I'm assuming it's only for 4GS vehicles sold in Japan/locally).

Similar to when Lexus used Plasmacluster on previous vehicles. Only Japan-spec models have it..................unless you request for it.

Anyways, I guess these are just prototypes so it's too early to tell if the Panasonic NANO-E feature is just for JDM vehicles or if it will make it overseas.

Old 08-21-11, 01:08 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

How will the new GS be vanilla? It will be lighter than the 5 series/E class/A6/M35 and apparently will be the best handling sedan in the Lexus line-up bar the F models. It will have more useable passenger and trunk space than the 3Gs and looks much better IMO.

I would at least see the car in the flesh first and test drive it before I made up my mind....
Old 08-21-11, 01:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
How will the new GS be vanilla? It will be lighter than the 5 series/E class/A6/M35 and apparently will be the best handling sedan in the Lexus line-up bar the F models. It will have more useable passenger and trunk space than the 3Gs and looks much better IMO.

I would at least see the car in the flesh first and test drive it before I made up my mind....
Many people are pre-disposed to Lexus as bland/vanilla/beige, it is a certain internet group-think type of mentality. Lexus will be classified as such until they ditch the cushy ride and safe/conservative mentality (which is never because Lexus has a core clientele to consider).

So basically, Lexus will be forever bland no matter what they do. Yes, even after the LFA, F sport and F line up. If anybody ever goes to Jalopnik and pay attention to how they write articles on Toyota/Lexus and the comments that follow, you won't miss out on bland/vanilla/beige. Like I said, group think-it's a little hard to sink in...
Old 08-21-11, 03:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i tend to think gs has the edge too, but that's one thing i want to wait till i see the car in person to decide

i am all for bigger trunk too, by comparison i rather deal with more rear overhang like this and having the stupid trunk in my gs350

however i disagree that it's either one or another. fwiw i think e class proportion looks great and the trunk shape / space is fantastic
except that rear overhang is not bigger.

how can it become bigger when vehicle size is the same as well as the wheelbase? lol.
Just think about it. It is same rear overhang as with old model.

Trunk got bigger because they completely redesigned rear suspension.

Oh - I forgot to post, you were interested in rear space, japanese mag said 25mm more space for legs, 30mm more for knees... which is nice, and pretty much only thing i understood from babelfish translation

Quick Reply: 4GS Release Discussion!