Old 06-08-12, 04:43 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Britain

All-new Lexus GS executive saloon driven
Petrol and hybrid models
On sale July, priced from £32,995
This 4th-generation Lexus GS marks a significant change in the company’s thinking. While most of the cars in its current range prioritise comfort and refinement over handling, Lexus reckons the new GS is the 1st of a new breed that will entertain drivers as well as cosset them.

Unusually for an executive saloon, the GS isn’t available with any diesel engines. Instead, there’s a 2.5-litre petrol V6 (badged GS250) and a GS450h hybrid model, which combines a 3.5-litre petrol V6 with an electric motor.

Whichever you choose, the GS comes equipped with ventilated leather seats, keyless entry, a reversing camera, an automatic gearbox and 10 airbags, while satellite-navigation is standard on all but the base model.

What’s the 2012 Lexus GS like to drive?

There are a number of different suspension set-ups to suit varying demands.

SE and Luxury-spec cars have conventional springs and dampers, whereas the more expensive Premier and F Sport models feature an adaptive damping system that allows you to switch between two suspension settings.

The 2 settings are firmer in F Sport cars because these are supposed to be the sportiest models in the range, while the GS450h F Sport also has rear-wheel steering and variable ratio steering that responds quickly at parking speeds, but is slower on the motorway to aid stability.

We tried the GS250 and the GS450h in Premier trim, and they generally rode well, although the German and Austrian roads that we tested them on were significantly smoother than most roads in the UK.

Wind and road noise are well controlled, and the new GS feels secure at motorway cruising speeds. Unfortunately, the steering is vague around the straight-ahead and there’s a bit too much body movement for these models to live up to the new GS’s sporty billing.

The 207bhp engine in the 250 doesn’t help because it produces just 187lb ft of torque and feels weedy. It’s only when you ask the smooth automatic gearbox to kickdown and send the revs soaring that the car accelerates with any urgency.

By contrast, the 3.5-litre V6 and electric motor in the hybrid produce a combined 338bhp and deliver strong performance. Throttle responses are particularly lively when you put the car in Sport or Sport Plus mode, while its EV setting lets you run solely on electric power when driving in town as long as the battery pack has sufficient charge.

What’s the 2012 Lexus GS like inside?

The cabin is smartly styled and build quality seems excellent. However, some of the switchgear feels a little lightweight.

A huge infotainment screen (the largest in any production car, according to Lexus) lifts the ambience. Unfortunately, this is linked to Lexus’s Remote Touch Interface, which works like a computer mouse and is fiddly to use on the move.

The driving position is more impressive because there’s a huge range of adjustment for the seat and steering wheel and all-round vision is good.

Just don’t expect to get as much space as you do in the rival Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series; rear headroom is quite tight for those over 6-feet.

The boot is large and well shaped in the GS250, but it’s a bit short in the hybrid.

Should I buy one?

Even though the GS comes generously equipped, the 250 model is best avoided because its weak engine averages just 31.7mpg and emits 207g/km of CO2; 12.4mpg less and 58g/km more than the similarly priced BMW 520i automatic.

It’s easier to make a case for the GS450h, which sits 2 company car tax bands below a 6-cylinder BMW 530d auto and averages a respectable 46.3mpg. However, the BMW is still easier on fuel (it averages 53.3mpg) and better to drive.

Besides, it is 4-cylinder diesels, such as the BMW 520d, which account for the majority of sales in this class, and they're far cheaper than the GS450h to buy and run.

For now, the GS will appeal to a limited audience only, then, but that could well change in the 2nd half of next year when Lexus will introduce a more affordable hybrid model with a smaller petrol engine and 4-cylinder diesel-rivalling CO2 emissions.
For The lexus GS is a comfortable cruiser and all versions are likely to come loaded with standard kit. We’d be surprised if reliability was anything less than excellent.

Against The GS feels unwieldy, unless you go for the expensive models or options. There’s no diesel version and some cabin trim looks cheap.

Lexus GS Saloon
What Car? says
3 out of 5stars

The Lexus GS isn’t a bad car, but it’s hard to recommend when an Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series feels more special and costs less to own.

The full Lexus GS review

Performance
2 out of 5 stars
Slow or acceptably swift
Ride & Handling
3 out of 5 stars
Comfy, but cheaper models feel their size
Refinement
3 out of 5 stars
Boomy engines let the side down
Buying & Owning
2 out of 5 stars
GS 250 is too dirty; GS 450h is pricey
Quality & Reliability
3 out of 5 stars
Sturdy, but some interior trim looks cheap
Safety & Security
5 out of 5 stars
Everything you’d expect and more
Behind The Wheel
3 out of 5 stars
Decent comfort, but some fussy controls
Space & Practicality
3 out of 5 stars
Reasonable, but not class-leading for either
Equipment
4 out of 5 stars
Plush or extravagant; take your pick
Old 06-09-12, 12:40 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Here's an overseas small engine capacity mid-sized 4-way luxury comparison:
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...602-1zo5b.html

The 4GS is said to be noticeably "tighter" and more "snug" than the others, but it was commended for its most comfortable and supportive rear seats - thanks to the high rear squab IMO. I agree.

The 4GS engine was said to be "raucous".
I agree, but what they forgot to mention is that on cruising, the 4GS is the quietest of the lot!

In a world of turbos, the naturally aspirated is starting to lose out on bottom end torque.

The handling didn't match the three Germans, but it was an unfair comparison because both the Benz and Audi had optional sports suspension.
However, even on standard suspension, all three Germans have more bump thump than the 4GS, a sign of firmer springs, hence less weight transfer to the outside wheels.
The 4GS was commended for having the most "luxurious" ride.

If the 4GS can make a few improvements like better styling, improved rear room, more bottom end torque, and a quieter engine, then Lexus will have total control of the mid-size market...

As much as people bash the 4GS' styling, two pictures from that article stand out:

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-0vmtg.jpg

The GS' body work, especially in the silver paint, is designed to take advantage of light and shadow, and we see that in the pic above. While compared to the GS, the A6 looks dull (due in part to the white paint and in part to its inferior body work), it's the silver E-class in the distance that lacks the GS' drama.

In the pic below, it's even more noticeable how light and shadow play into Lexus design to create a more striking aesthetic. Compare the silver 4GS to the silver E-class:

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-iioyc.jpg

The E-class is trying to make a design statement using traditional methods: sharp creases and lines. The GS on the other hand has relatively spartan door panels, but the deep shadow that runs across the bottom side is what catches the eye more. This shadow also makes the skirts at the bottom more noticeable.

I think this is a very cool and interesting way to design a car.
Old 06-09-12, 03:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

From a distance, overseas photos of 4GS tail, not bad hey?
The overall shape is nice.

Only when we get close, some people have commented on the prototype or concept vehicle being better.
I'm sure they'll clean up the tail light lenses at facelift in 3 years.

Now, regarding 4GS criticisms from these two overseas articles:
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...602-1zo5b.html,
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2012...-review/263156 [courtesy of GS69].

The lack of rear head room in 4GS is a compromise.
I prefer to leave it alone.
If you lower the rear seat base, then it's less comfortable and visibility over the high dash becomes poor, esp like the 5 Series.
I particularly liked the high rear seats from the Volvo 700 & 900 Series of the 1980's and 1990's.
I also liked the high rear seats of the Saab 9000 from the 90's.
Sure, it compromises head room.

In terms of a lack of rear lateral knee room, Lexus should probably remove the two rear ashtrays, one on each rear door.
The old 3GS only had the one central console mounted rear ashtray.
This will restore the rear lateral knee room.

In terms of rear leg room and rear foot space, this is my suggestion.
It is not caused by the 4GS lacking in cabin length or width at all.
It is actually caused by the bulky thick front seats.
Why not make these 18 way air conditioned front seats optional?
Use conventional 8 way adjustable non-air conditioned front seats in the standard model, that are more compact and provide much more rear knee and rear foot space???

To respond to other criticisms, Lexus will have to boost the bottom end punch, and get rid of the engine noise creator.
This is not an impossible feat for a 3 year facelift?
Then, we should have sustained sales 4GS.
To absolutely hit the market by storm, the 3 year facelift would have to have a new interior as well, but that's way too much to ask...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-09-12 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 04:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Only when we get close, some people have commented on the prototype or concept vehicle being better.
I'm sure they'll clean up the tail light lenses at facelift in 3 years.
That isn't a real photo, that is a poorly photoshopped press shot. This is a real world shot:

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-uae7e.jpg

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-ratar.jpg
4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-nwfrv.jpg

Take a moment and just look at both rear ends. See how artfully sculpted the Lexus rear is compared to the decidedly flat and ho-hum Merc. Just look at the bumpers of the two cars. I recall you once called the rear of the GS the cheapest looking in the segment, I respectfully disagree. In fact I find it laughable so many German fanboys dismiss the GS as a whole as "not expensive looking" while Mercedes' E class has a rear end like that.

These German cars all rely on very heavy concentrations of sharp lines and creases to grab the eye. This might work better from a distance, but up close they are underwhelming. From a distance is not how most drivers of these cars experience them. You walk up to your car, get in and drive it. It's at that moment that you appreciate the better detailing and care that has gone into that Lexus rear end. But to an onlooker from a distance all those details disappear. From a distance is good for showing off, and that is what a Mercedes is all about.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-09-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 05:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Take a moment and just look at both rear ends. See how artfully sculpted the Lexus rear is compared to the decidedly flat and ho-hum Merc. Just look at the bumpers of the two cars. I recall you once called the rear of the GS the cheapest looking in the segment, I respectfully disagree. In fact I find it laughable so many German fanboys dismiss the GS as a whole as "not expensive looking" while Mercedes' E class has a rear end like that.

These German cars all rely on very heavy concentrations of sharp lines and creases to grab the eye. This might work better from a distance, but up close they are underwhelming. From a distance is not how most drivers of these cars experience them. You walk up to your car, get in and drive it. It's at that moment that you appreciate the better detailing and care that has gone into that Lexus rear end. But to an onlooker from a distance all those details disappear. From a distance is good for showing off, and that is what a Mercedes is all about.

Those two GS photos you took were taken at nice angles; it looks nice.
However, in the grey and blue GS's above, it looks more ordinary; it's okay, just not as stylish as the current LS, and the recently superseded ES.
Thus, there are photos where the 4GS looks nice, and there are photos where it looks okay, but plain.

However, in real life, there is something not quite right about the new 4GS rear.
Many CL have commented on this in other threads eg
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ai-sonata.html

Something worthy of consideration is sort of like a girl.
A genuinely good looking girl looks good regardless of what clothing she wears, even without makeup, and regardless what angle we photograph.
A girl that is not genuinely good looking needs attractive clothing, make up, and specific camera angles.
So too the new 4GS.
Unfortunately, it needs certain photographic angles to look good.

It's a difficult topic, because it's so subjective, and not so objective like interior space, or straight line performance.
I mean, it looks okay, but not as stylish as it could be.
It could always be improved upon.
The 4GS tail looks okay, but we want something really stylish like the current LS, or the recently superseded 2007-12 ES.

The tail of the new 4GS is something we have to accept.
I own the 1996-2001 2ES, and I also own the 2006-2012 3GS as well, and I have to accept the 96-02 ES bland tail from the 80's, and I also have to accept my 3GS controversial and messy looking quad headlights.
Unlike my 2ES, most cars in the 90's have their tail lights kicked up, unlike the 1980's.
It's something even I have to accept.
It would be narcissistic for me to pretend that my 2ES and 3ES are great looking cars, when they are not.

Similar to my model 1996-01 ES with a rather bland tail, with the tail lights not kicked up unlike other cars from the 1990's.
These tail lights are more reminiscent of cars from the 1980's, like the 1988-92 Cressida.
There are things we have to just accept.

As for the E Class, Benz is rather inconsistent with the E Class.
The S Class tends to look good generation after generation.
However, the E Class has its ups and downs.
Remember the 4 rounded headlight boxy E Class from 1995-2002?
That one wasn't so good.
Neither is this one.
The current E Class has too many lines, and the lines are too sharp, and the shape is not that graceful.

I actually want the GS to topple the E Class.
I'm sure that at the Lexus board meetings, and at dealership meetings across America, they all want that too.
So the GS has to be really good to topple the E Class.
If Lexus and Benz both work equally hard, then Lexus will always play third fiddle.
If Lexus actually works harder than Benz, then Lexus can overtake Benz...

These two rears are very nice.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-09-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 08:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Those two GS photos you took were taken at nice angles; it looks nice.
However, in the grey and blue GS's above, it looks more ordinary; it's okay, just not as stylish as the current LS, and the recently superseded ES.
Thus, there are photos where the 4GS looks nice, and there are photos where it looks okay, but plain.
I think both the photos you posted look great, that blue is especially beautiful. They may look plain because they are small photos simulating the car at a distance. The GS does not have many sharp creases or gouges, relying instead on soft forms and surfaces.

However, in real life, there is something not quite right about the new 4GS rear.
Many CL have commented on this in other threads eg
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ai-sonata.html
The photos I posted are real life photos, not press photos like the two you posted, or that Lexus press photo that barely qualifies as a real photo.

Something worthy of consideration is sort of like a girl.
A genuinely good looking girl looks good regardless of what clothing she wears, even without makeup, and regardless what angle we photograph.
A girl that is not genuinely good looking needs attractive clothing, make up, and specific camera angles.
So too the new 4GS.
Unfortunately, it needs certain photographic angles to look good.

It's a difficult topic, because it's so subjective, and not so objective like interior space, or straight line performance.
I mean, it looks okay, but not as stylish as it could be.
It could always be improved upon.
The 4GS tail looks okay, but we want something really stylish like the current LS, or the recently superseded 2007-12 ES.

The tail of the new 4GS is something we have to accept.
I think the new GS rear looks a better from most angles than worse. The GS is more trim dependent than angle dependent. The best looking GS is a silver GS450h, the worst is probably a red or white base GS350. The car as a whole seems to be designed for the color silver, and it looks fantastic in it as per the photos I posted.

I own the 1996-2001 2ES, and I also own the 2006-2012 3GS as well, and I have to accept the 96-02 ES bland tail from the 80's, and I also have to accept my 3GS controversial and messy looking quad headlights.
Unlike my 2ES, most cars in the 90's have their tail lights kicked up, unlike the 1980's.
It's something even I have to accept.
It would be narcissistic for me to pretend that my 2ES and 3ES are great looking cars, when they are not.

Similar to my model 1996-01 ES with a rather bland tail, with the tail lights not kicked up unlike other cars from the 1990's.
These tail lights are more reminiscent of cars from the 1980's, like the 1988-92 Cressida.
There are things we have to just accept.
The 2ES was a very avant-garde design for its time. More cars from that time had the kick-down tail lights than the kick-up. For example, most Mercedes and BMW had the kick down tail lights. Mercedes had the kick down tail lights well into the 2000s.

These two rears are very nice.
The LS is a beautiful car, but it's more expensive and therefore can afford more sculpting in the sheet metal. I don't think the current ES has a nicer rear than the 4GS.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-09-12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 05:00 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

The 2ES was a very avant-garde design for its time. More cars from that time had the kick-down tail lights than the kick-up. For example, most Mercedes and BMW had the kick down tail lights. Mercedes had the kick down tail lights well into the 2000s...
Wow, just getting side tracked a little.
This thread is supposed to be about 4GS reviews and comparisons.
Turned a bit into another thread on 4GS rear styling discussion.

Back in 1979-91, the Benz S Class was one of the very first vehicles to start lifting the tail lamps.
This was repeated in the 190E of 1982-93.
And on the E Class of 1984-95.
Notice how they had already begun lifting the tail lights in the 1980's by 2 inches?
Note the lower 2 inch high panel?

By the 1990's, Benz had really lifted the tail lights.
Look at the 1991-98 S Class. By the 2 inch band.
Then have a good look at the 1993-2000 C Class. Really kicked up???
Also the 1995-02 E Class. Still by 2 inches.
They probably kicked the C Class tail lights the most, because this car was designed for a younger group of buyers, who would more readily accept contemporary or even radical design.
Raising the tail lights have several advantages.
The visibility by the following car is superior.
The tall tail lights also narrows the rear lenses, for a wider trunk opening.

By 1998-05 S Class, 2000-07 C Class, and 2002-09 E Class, notice how their entire range of lights is tall, and narrow, with highly kicked boot decks?

Unlike the pioneering Mercedes with the 2 inch lower panel to lift the tail lights, notice how the 1996-01 ES, the tail lights are pushed down to bumper level, with 4/10th of the top rear face devoted to the boot lid, a la 1980's.
Also, unlike the Germans, notice how the ES's boot lid is low, and wasn't really kicked up high either?
Back then, I knew that the 1996-01 ES rear styling was a bit backwards, and could have been better, but I purchased that series of ES anyway.
We must accept that cars can never, and will never be perfect, but as long as it's reasonably good, it is worth buying.

As someone else was saying, the fact that there are so many threads and so many posts discussing the 4GS rear styling, speaks for itself.
I don't recall the ES or LS styling ever attracting this type of attention.
Nevermind, Lexus will fix it up at facelift time; they always do...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-10-12 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 12:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

2013 Lexus GS350 F SPORT combines new-school tech with old-school feel

There’s a sense of dexterity when tossing the 2013 GS350 F SPORT AWD around a curve, which is translated through the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and Electronic Power Steering (EPS) systems. The feeling is more E39 (2000-2003) BMW M5 and can be felt at your fingertips.

The handling is so stable that even the least experienced driver can feel totally in control at all times, and the car seems to beg to be driven at 9/10, 90 percent of the time.

Full Article
This review echoes what I've personally experienced and attested to on this forum : the 4GS, especially in F-Sport trim, feels so much like the E39 5 series of 2 generations past, in terms of road-connection, steering feel and the perfect balance of ride/handling that it's uncanny.

FYI, the E39 5 series is arguably the pinnacle in 5 series ride/handling, being perfectly balanced between road feel, steering feedback and ride comfort. It is easily a better driver's car than the current F10 5 series with its 7-series league mass and numb steering.

That's why when I read some "professional reviews" praising the luxury of the 4GS and then stating that the 4GS handling doesn't feel as connected as the F10 (current gen) 5 series, I have to laugh.

It's patently obvious those reviewers didn't drive the 2 cars back-to-back and are merely regurgitating a pre-written script : "BMW being German must automatically win in road-feel/connectedness while Lexus being the Japanese Buick must score in luxury and lose out in road-feel NO MATTER what our butts just told us during our test-drive of the 4GS!!!!!"

It's times like these when it gets old : BMWs getting rave reviews for their handling based on their PAST glories and not based the current model's intrinsic qualities.

What's even funnier is when deluded 5 series owners just getting their first BMW, who have never touched an E39 in their lives start defending their F10 5 series as the perfect compromise between comfort and sport. The problem is that they have no perspective : they have never driven an E39 and experienced how a properly sporty BMW should feel like. It gets more hilarious when they start throwing money at the problem by 1) getting a V8 thinking power solves everything when it just makes the problem worse : the heavier V8 is a boat anchor sitting in the engine compartment and just makes the car more nose heavy or 2) spending another $10-20,000 in suspension upgrades which alleviate the problem somewhat but still unable to fix the numb steering. The steering-feel is key to the E39's and the 4GS's road connection.

At least 7 series owners aren't deluded. They know full well they bought a barge with unparalleled luxury and noise isolation. Current 5 series owners drive basically the same thing (same chassis as the 7 and almost the same weight) but insist on calling their cars "sporty". What's worse is when the mainstream automotive media collude in these 5 series owners' mass delusion by not pointing out the obvious and insisting on labelling the current 5 series as the benchmark in sport-sedans.

Don't get me wrong : the current 5 series is a great car ---- for a potential 7 series owner lol.

Last edited by natnut; 06-12-12 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 02:43 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cars.com/USA Today Video Review

Generally favorable review from Cars.com

2013 Lexus GS 350

In its bid to become more appealing to luxury sports-car shoppers, the redesigned 2013 Lexus GS 350 gets an aggressive yet elegant look.

http://www.usatoday.com/video/index..../1521515045001
Old 06-13-12, 05:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow MotorAuthority

If you want a mix of performance, luxury and fuel efficiency, you're really limited to 2 choices.

1 is to pick one of the latest generation of powerful turbodiesel models from Mercedes-Benz or BMW. The other is to go down the hybrid route, with marques like Porsche, Infiniti, BMW, and of course Lexus, all offering (or set to offer) clean-burning gasoline-electric hybrids.

Lexus has revamped its GS line for this year and with it comes the new 2013 Lexus GS 450h. With more power, less weight, better gas mileage and more gadgets than ever before, the new GS 450h is ready for a fight.

Striking style

The 1st punch comes with the styling. In the words of GS Chief Engineer Yoshihiko Kanamori, "On the freeway in the old GS, I had to flash my lights to ask people to move out the way... in the new GS, other cars move straight away".

Lexus' new 'L Finesse' design language certainly makes the new GS more aggressive before, that rear-view mirror presence enhanced by a chrome-accented 'Spindle' grille design. It flanks a mesh grille on the F Sport models, slatted on the rest. Arrowhead LED daytime running lights complete the look.

The car's flanks are perhaps a little slab-sided from some angles, but 19-inch wheels on the F Sport minimize this, and with a drag coefficient of 0.27, it's certainly an effective shape.

It's also a bit more characterful--we think the GS has finally found its own style, after a string of cars that seemed to uncomfortably crib from the German marques without having the same cohesion or style. It's particularly striking in F Sport trim, which whets our appetite for the rumored GS F model.

Endless adjustment

Inside the improvements continue, where the new GS shrugs off the blandness of old models. The center stack is dominated by the largest infotainment screen currently fitted in a production car, and a wide, horizontal element running across the cabin. In the center sits a tasteful analog clock, carved from solid aluminum billet.

Finding the ideal driving position is a cinch, aided by multi-adjustable seats. These not only slide fore and aft, up and down and tilt, but on Luxury, Premier and F Sport trims, you get 2 levels of lumbar adjustment, further backrest adjustment, under-thigh support and a button to adjust the seat bolsters to hug you tighter in the corners. Naturally, the steering wheel also adjusts in every direction.

Once ensconced, all the controls fall easily to hand, and with a new head-up display projected onto the windscreen, you'll not need to take your eyes off the road to determine your speed or view satellite-navigation directions. In fact, you'll barely ever use the normal dials, so easy is it to take a quick glance at the HUD.

Thankfully, it's not just the front seat passengers that get to enjoy the interior. The GS is now suitable for 4 full-size adults, with more-than-adequate leg- and head-room in the back. The trunk over 50% bigger too, as the hybrid's batteries are now stacked vertically rather than horizontally, as before.

Sporty, luxurious and economical?

Out on the road, the GS 450h continues to impress. Leaving Munich airport on our test drive, the 1st 60 miles of driving took in some of Germany's autobahns, including those with de-restricted sections. With the paraphrased mantra "When in Germany, do as the Germans" on our minds, we pushed pedal to carpet and felt the full combined 341 horsepower from the hybrid-assisted 3.5-liter V-6 do its thing.

Ordinarily, continuously variable transmissions can be a little vexing, mooing away without much progress to show for all the noise. This certainly isn't the case in the 450h, which picks itself up and thrusts you towards the horizon. It doesn't take long to reach your chosen speed, at which point the revs die down again and leave you doing whisper-quiet triple-figure speeds. From rest, 60 mph arrives in 5.9 seconds, and top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph.

The old GS was rarely out of its depth at highway speeds, so most of the new car's improvements can actually be appreciated when the going gets twisty. Our F Sport car was loaded with technology to improve cornering, including Variable Gear Ratio Steering, Dynamic Rear Steering, and Adaptive Variable Suspension.

Combined, they conspire to make the F Sport feel nimble and responsive around Austria's twisty Alpine roads. Even selecting Sport mode--accompanied by a red glow from the instruments and the hybrid drive indicator being replaced by a tachometer--fails to upset the ride quality, but adds a useful extra dose of steering feel and firmer suspension.

Perhaps the icing on the cake was our economy, following a mix of continued 30 to 60 mph driving conditions between towns, and a spirited drive through the Austrian Alps.

EPA combined economy is 31 mpg, with 29 city, 34 highway. Our drive saw an average of 36.7 mpg, before 80-90 mph highway driving knocked it down to an overall average of 34 mpg. At those sort of speeds, the fuel display was showing gas mileage of around 27 mpg.

That the car can be enjoyed as much as we did on Austria's picturesque roads and Germany's high-speed autobahns, but still achieve that sort of economy, is certainly something to be praised.

Hybrid without the compromises?

Priced from $58,950, the 2013 Lexus GS 450h is around $3,000 cheaper than the upcoming BMW ActiveHybrid 5-Series. It's also about $5,000 more than the 2012 Infiniti M35h, but gets better gas mileage and is a little easier on the eye.

In reality, buyers in this market will choose based on badge preference, but in Europe at least Lexus is aiming for 60 percent conquest sales--i.e. sales stolen from other makers. That's an ambitious target in the German-biased European market, but in the U.S. we don't see the GS 450h having much trouble asserting itself as the top-selling luxury hybrid model.

Performance is par for the class, real-world efficiency is excellent and it's a better car to drive, look at and sit in than its predecessor. If you're looking for that perfect mix of performance, luxury and fuel efficiency, you've just found it.

Lexus provided airfare, lodging, and meals to enable High Gear Media to bring you this 1st-person drive report.

Old 06-14-12, 02:34 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Looks very nice in black exterior, with the black and red interior...
Old 06-15-12, 03:47 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIRST DRIVE: Lexus GS 250 F Sport
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...gs-250-f-sport
Those who still crave a genuinely good-to-drive saloon with a part-time sporty edge – and a V6 petrol engine under the bonnet – should add the new Lexus GS 250 F Sport to their shopping list

Should I buy one?

It feels genuinely refreshing to drive a naturally aspirated V6 petrol engine in a car in the GS's class, especially at the range’s entry point.

While Lexus may suffer in the market with no diesel as the decision to offer no engine smaller than this one will prevent many potential sales, those who still crave a genuinely good-to-drive saloon with a part-time sporty edge - and a V6 petrol engine under the bonnet - should add the new GS to their shopping list.

FIRST DRIVE: Lexus GS 450h
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...gs-450h-luxury
Efficient, quiet and luxurious, the Lexus GS offers a refreshing alternative to a default-choice diesel-power German executive car

Should I buy one?

Why not? Not only does it provide a refreshing alternative to a default-choice diesel-power German executive car, but the performance at full throttle is very impressive indeed. The super-smooth drivetrain and electric assist add to the luxury flavour.

You might also consider the real-world ‘greeness’ of the extremely low level of pollutants leaving the exhaust pipe. Whether you can get close to the promised 46mpg in the real world is yet to be seen, but this Lexus makes a clear case for the individualist private buyer who appreciates the occasional burst of race-track pace.
FIRST DRIVE: Lexus GS 450h F Sport
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...h_f_sport.html
Is the sporty version of the Lexus GS hybrid saloon worth the £6,000 premium?

The most significant F Sport upgrade over the regular GS concerns its suspension. The standard car is already better to drive than its predecessor, as it’s lighter and stiffer, but the F gets an additional Sports Plus mode on top of the Eco, Normal and Sports settings offered across the line-up. This adds a quicker and more responsive setting for the electric set-up, but we felt the steering could do with more feel in all modes.

The F Sport model also gets rear-wheel steering. This aids both high-speed stability and parking in tight spaces around town. Add in adaptive dampers and you have all the makings of a genuine sports saloon. Yet this is still a luxury car with a comfortable ride.

An Audi A6 or a BMW 5 Series – the latter with some optional chassis gadgets – will offer a better driving experience, but this new GS is appealing in its ability to play a number of roles.

Feel free to click on the sources to read the whole thing.
Old 06-15-12, 08:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Looks very nice in black exterior, with the black and red interior...
It looks positively evil in black:

Nice in silver as well:

If you are rich, might I direct you towards the Lexus GS 450h -- the "h" stands for hybrid. As you may be aware, the new GS has become something of a darling around our office. The F Sport version beat out the BMW 535i, the Audi A6, and the Infiniti M37 in a recent comparison. After that, the GS 450h (identical to the car I drove in Europe) beat the Porsche Panamera Hybrid as well as the Infinti M35h. Motor Trend likes the GS. And driving one around Europe made me like the GS even more. I think it's the best Lexus product since the original LS back when the brand launched. While no longer the number-one luxury brand in the U.S. (the Germans have all been selling more metal lately), Lexus still sells around 250,000 cars per year. And while sales are up in Europe, they're still only moving about 50,000 vehicles per year in the old country. Aside from marketing, the key to selling more cars is give customers what they want. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz (and Jaguar) all have diesel engines widely available across the range. Lexus has no diesel and just three hybrids: the GS, the RX 450h, and the CT 200h. I'd also like to point out that when we were going flat-out on the Autobahn, the only cars that ever flew by us at ludicrous speeds were stations wagons. If Lexus is going to take a serious swing at Europe, they're going to need them some wagons. The GS would make a perfect candidate.

Speaking of wagons, our little hybrid caravan rolled through the diminutive country of Luxembourg while I was behind the wheel of the biggish Lexus. I mention this because Luxembourg is not only the wealthiest country in the world per capita, but based on what I saw down on the Luxembourgian street, it also has the world's highest concentration of station wagons. Nary an SUV was in sight. Proving once again that, in my mind at least, the station wagon is the ride of choice for the world's most affluent. Remember, the wealthiest customers Mercedes-Benz has are the people who buy the E63 AMG Wagon. Back to the hybrids: The Lexus GS 450h looked as good as any German midsize luxury cruiser whether in Luxembourg, Belgium, or Paris. And based on our comparison tests, it drives better, too.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz1xvJPS8iy
Old 06-20-12, 10:50 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Car Pro Show Reviews the 2013 Lexus GS450h

June 6, 2012

The 2013 Lexus GS450h is like having two different cars. One is a sporty, fast sedan-the other is a hybrid that gets incredible mileage for a car of its size. You really can make this car feel and drive very differently.

In the past, the GS hybrid has been a poor seller. There was a hefty price tag for the hybrid system, and the older version didn't offer performance OR great gas mileage. All that has changed now.

On the gasoline engine side, there is a 3.5-liter V6 coupled with a continuously-variable transmission. On the hybrid side, the GS uses two electric motors, one under the hood that primarily handles charging, and the other in the rear differential to help drive the wheels; the latter works in concert with the Atkinson-cycle V-6 to produce 338-horses in this large, rear-wheel drive luxury sedan.

Many changes have taken place in this new version, including the driving dynamics. The car feels much sportier than years past, yet at the same time Toyota was able to maintain a smooth ride. The wheels on the 2013 were set out and toward the front and rear for greater stability. It also has a much more athletic look to the outside that is noticeable even at a glance.

Back to it being different cars for a moment. You can select normal driving, Sport Plus mode, or Eco mode for maximum fuel economy. In Sport Plus mode, the car stiffens and steering becomes less sensitive. In Eco mode, the feel of the power lessens and the accelerator actually gets harder to press. One amazing thing about the car is the instrument cluster. When in Sport Plus mode, you have a tachometer to use, in the other modes, the tachometer magically changes to a power meter for you to achieve the best possible fuel mileage.

In Eco mode, the GS will run up to 40 miles per hour strictly on battery, using no gas. Other hybrids will go faster before switching to gasoline, but this car weighs 4100 pounds.

The interior of the car is breathtakingly beautiful. It has the right mix of accent colors and light wood, including the steering wheel. As you would imagine, the GS450 comes with just about everything as standard equipment. My test car has the luxury package, which gives you 18" wheels, rear seat shades, and 18-way power front seats that are heated and cooled.

Other options include blind spot monitoring, navigation system with a HUGE 12.3" color monitor, heads-up display that projects your speed onto the windshield, and park assist. There are apps on the massive screen that will give you real-time traffic, weather, sports scores, and stock prices. The Lexus uses a mouse on the center console that runs virtually everything and is accessible by the driver or passenger. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the feel of the mouse, but once mastered, it is easy and comfortable.

Lexus has done an incredible job all the way around with the GS450h. The last version was only rated at 22 city and 25 highway. This new version is rated at 29 in town and 34 on the highway. Overall mileage in mixed driving is 31 for the overall time I have had the car.

So does the hybrid version of the GS make sense over the gas version GS350? Financially, no. There is a $10,000 price difference between the two. You get a combined 8-mile per gallon increase with the hybrid, but for a 15,000-mile per year driver at $3.50 per gallon, it will take 16 years to break even. For those whose majority of driving is under 40 miles per hour, the break-even point will be much shorter. For those interested in the environmental aspect of hybrids, it doesn't get any better than this.

What I liked most: The interior and fuel economy for a car its size.

What I would change: I'd make the hybrid version closer to the price of the gas version.

MSRP: $58,950 base price, as tested, $68,834.

Fuel Economy: 31 overall, bouncing 35 on the highway.

2013 Lexus GS450h in a few words: A remarkable improvement from previous versions.

Car Pro Rating: 4 ½ out of 5 Stars.

http://www.carproshow.com/carpro_reviews/?page_id=4
Old 06-20-12, 11:00 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Car Pro Show Reviews The 2013 Lexus GS350

2013 Lexus GS 350

Driving dynamics: solid, tight, great handling, aggressive. I do not believe I have ever associated those words with a Lexus, and certainly not the GS 350, but that has all changed.

Everybody has been eager to see and drive the redesigned 2013 Lexus GS 350 and that includes me. In years past, the Lexus GS 350 has had a reputation of being a great quality car, a terrific family sedan, and a soft, comfortable ride. Some of those characteristics still remain, but the car has evolved in a major way and one that I believe will attract new buyers that would have viewed this car as more for the older generation.

Under the hood, the same engine remains, a 3.5-liter V6 that has been tweaked to 306-horses while at the same time improving gas mileage. That engine is connected to a 6-speed automatic transmission. This particular 4th generation GS is all-wheel drive, but is available in just rear-wheel drive as well.

You immediately notice a much more aggressive look on the outside, starting from the front end and continuing all the way to the back of the car. The new GS has a 2” wider track that makes the car look great, but also gives the car a lot of stability. A new suspension system makes this the most “un-Lexus” driving Lexus I have been in except for the IS-F. Besides the changes underneath the car, the body is slightly wider and slightly taller, and while doing the redesign, Lexus gives you 25% more trunk space than last year’s model. Toyota engineers addressed everything you could possibly want to change for the 2012.

Lexus also changed the interior, and the results are remarkable. Lexus is known for their interiors, but they outdid themselves this time with an incredible combination of leather, aluminum, and perhaps the most beautiful wood I have seen in any car. My test car has virtually every available option including the luxury package, which is an $8290 package.

The 835-watt Mark Levinson stereo system is a $1300 option, and sounds like you are in a concert hall as 17 speakers surround you.

The GS navigation system works flawlessly and adds another $1700 to the price. For that, you get real-time traffic, weather, sports scores, and even current stock prices. There is a host of apps you can choose from on a huge 12” color monitor. All systems are operated by a remote touch controller, which works exactly like your computer mouse. I find this to be a terrific feature and for me, reduces driver distraction.

This particular car has adaptive cruise control which works beautifully. The car has a sophisticated pre-crash avoidance system that stops the car for you, and even warns you if it detects you are about to nod off while driving.

The list of options and standard equipment is so extensive that it makes the window sticker the length of War and Peace but the standout items for me is 18-way power heated and cooled seats, blind spot warning system, a heads-up display that puts info up on the windshield so you don’t have to look down to see your speed, power moonroof, and push button start.

While Lexus made this car much more fun to drive, and much more responsive, they did not lose the things that made them famous. The quality is apparent, the interior refined and plush, and quietness that is their trademark.

The only knock on the car for me is I wish the transmission weren’t as smooth as it is. You get a feel of performance with this car that is dampened by the lack of feel when shifting, even using the shift paddles.

The big OH WOW moment came for me the first time I heavily accelerated. I could hear the roar of the engine, and with nobody else in the car, I said aloud “what the hell?” Engine roar in a Lexus GS? Turns out Lexus engineers put a sound resonator in the car that brings the engine sound inside the car when you tromp it. NICE TOUCH and a sure sign this isn’t your Grandpa’s Lexus.

What I liked most: The new look, but most of all, the new feel when driving.

What I would change: Make the tranny more responsive.

MSRP: Base price, $49,450. As equipped $65,299.

Fuel Economy: 19 in town/26 highway and easily getting there.

2013 Lexus GS 350 in a few words: A whole different Lexus GS than before and every change Lexus made was for the better.

Car Pro Rating: The Car Pro gives the 2013 Lexus GS 350 4.5 Stars out of a possible 5 Stars.

http://www.carproshow.com/carpro_reviews/?page_id=931
Attached Thumbnails 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-reviews_lexus_gs350_2013.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread