GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 05:06 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb SpeedTV

The old Arizona high-country blacktop that winds over Mingus Mountain to the reclaimed mining town of Jerome has to rank as 1 of the greatest driving roads on the planet. Its combination of rugged scenery, elevation changes and intense curves rivals the best, thus its enduring popularity among generations of sports-car drivers and a multitude of bikers.

I’ve driven this road in all manner of machines, including Porsches, Jaguars, Lamborghinis, Benzes, BMWs, and once, nestled in the back seat of a 1930 Ford Model A.

The 4th-generation GS is a tighter and brighter version of the Lexus midsize luxury car. (Photo: Bob Golfen)

This time, the car was a pretty-splendid 2013 Lexus GS 350 equipped with the F-Sport package of suspension and steering upgrades for sharper handling. The 4th-generation GS turned out to be the perfect ticket for a long summer’s drive with the wife on board, a melding of luxurious comfort and knife-edge performance.

She’s not always so amenable to my driving antics, but the relaxed precision of the Lexus was such that she barely noticed the high speeds that we were traveling or the sharp curves that we were carving.

The various F-Sport enhancements – firmer springs, variable damping suspension, thicker antiroll bars, variable-gear-ratio steering and a rear-wheel-steering mechanism – places this luxury sedan firmly into competition with sports versions of BMW 5-Series, Jaguar XF, Cadillac CTS and Audi A6. GS is also available with all-wheel drive; we had the standard rear-drive model.

An optional part of the F-Sport package is Lexus Dynamic Handling, which includes the rear-wheel steering. According to Lexus, this newly developed electronic system monitors speed, driver input and steering direction to integrate the rear-steering attitude with the variable-ratio power steering “to help improve turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and overall agility when cornering.”

The F-Sport package includes wheel and trim enhancements of the basic GS 350. (Photo: Bob Golfen)

With the sport-tuned suspension and steering, the midsize Lexus sedan dives into turns with athletic grace, the variable-ratio steering quickening the turn-in response and the rear-wheel adjustments noticeably adding sharpness. The firmed-up suspension and high-tech shock absorbers keep body roll to a minimum. To add to its sporting aura, Lexus has even seen fit to pump some adrenaline-inducing intake roar into the cabin so you can hear it when you step on it.

The Lexus GS of the past felt soft and docile, but with the F-Sport package, the new model romps. Definitely the most fun I’ve had in a Lexus since driving the IS 350 sport compact sedan.

Not that the GS has abandoned its role as a sophisticated cruiser. This is an impressive craft for commuting in style or taking your honey out for a night on the town.

GS loses its V8 option for 2013, now powered by a revised 3.5-liter V6 that combines direct and port fuel injection to produce 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque, which could be a problem for performance enthusiasts. The V6 may not be the hottest engine in the segment, but it is strong and refined, and it will quickly bring the Lexus up to illegal speeds. A 0-to-60 run takes 5.7 seconds, according to Lexus, and fuel mileage is a competitive 19 city and 28 highway, according to the EPA.

The new styling for the GS 350 has raised a few eyebrows. (Photo: Bob Golfen)

For better mileage and even some more power, Lexus offers the GS 350h hybrid with a combined gas/electric output of 338 horsepower and EPA mileage of 29 city and 34 highway.

The new styling for the GS is controversial, with some approving of the pointy-jowled front end that echoes the LF-A sports coupe and others seeing it as a monster vacuum cleaner. It does look mean and aggressive up front, and F-Sport adds some extra trim to the flanks and rear.

The new GS has a gorgeously updated interior with the biggest video screen that I’ve seen yet. As well as being 12.3 inches, it also splits to display 2 functions at once. Thankfully, audio and climate controls are still done old school, with rotating ***** and such, while the result appears on the screen. There’s also a rotating dial in the console that helps access the various features.

Really, this is 1 of the best multimedia video displays that I’ve experienced, easy to use and with a full array of functionality. Check the weather forecast, stock quotes and sports results, as well as make a reservation at a restaurant while the navigation system guides you there.

The GS 350's sumptuous interior also gets a number of sporty extras with the F-Sport package. (Photo: Bob Golfen)
There’s so much technology in this cabin that it’s hard to quantify, but aside from the superb audio system, navigation and multimedia offerings, there’s also a night-vision system and pre-collision alert, blind-spot monitor and heads-up display, among other items.

The leather-encrusted F-Sport seats are supportive as well as sumptuous, in keeping with the car’s split personality of luxury and sportiness. And despite the diverse load of high-technology features, the dashboard is fairly simple and straightforward.

Naturally, all this doesn’t come cheap, with the basic 350 GS starting out at $46,900. The plentiful goodies that come with the F-Sport option adds a significant $5,690. That doesn’t include the Lexus Dynamic Handling System, for another $1,700.

The navigation and multimedia package costs $1,735, and the blind spot and park-assist systems cost $500 each. Lexus charges extra for a cargo net and trunk mat, which seems weird at this price level, and along with $875 shipping, the test car’s bottom line came out to $58,069.

That’s a lot, but compare it with comparable cars from the European luxury automakers, and it starts to feel like a bargain, especially when you consider the high level of cutting-edge technology that goes into this car.
Details

Vehicle type: 5-passenger, 4-door sedan, rear-wheel drive.
Engine: 3.5-liter V6, 306 horsepower at 6,400 rpm, 277 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm.
Transmission: 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters.
Wheelbase: 112.2 inches.
Overall length: 190.7 inches.
Curb weight: 3,795 pounds.
EPA mileage rating: 19 city, 28 highway.
Bob Golfen, Automotive Editor for SPEED.com, is a veteran auto writer based in Phoenix, Arizona, with a passion for collector cars, car culture and the automotive lifestyle. SPEED.com fans can email Bob Golfen at bgolfen@gmail.com
Old 07-11-12, 08:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 07-11-12, 09:46 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great review. Thanks for posting, natnut! Wish they'd driven the F-Sport. Looks like they were pushing the car pretty hard.

Originally Posted by natnut
Old 07-11-12, 02:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

thanx again for posting NATNUT,,, Lexus hit an inside the park HR,,, not over the fence HR,, but a HR none the less. i liked when the bull walked by at 3:45 seconds and glanced over at the car and or camera man.
Old 07-13-12, 08:42 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Winding Road Magazine (http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/83/) published an "involvement index". For calibration, Chevy Corvette scored an 80.
Attached Thumbnails 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-4gs-involvement-index.jpg  
Old 07-15-12, 11:52 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-15-12, 12:37 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The previous reviewer should have tested the F-Sport version of the GS450h with its rear steering sytem. Like this one - no shortfalls in handling as per this Irish review.

Last edited by natnut; 07-15-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 08:22 PM
LEX900
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_yf38zEhQ

The previous reviewer should have tested the F-Sport version of the GS450h with its rear steering sytem. Like this one - no shortfalls in handling as per this Irish review.
No offense to my Irish brethren, but I couldn't get past 2 mins of this guy talking.
Old 07-16-12, 10:15 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motor
Can't say that I love the reviewer, but he was obviously impressed by the GS450h and particularly its ride quality.
Old 07-17-12, 09:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha the Irish guy.

I kinda like his sense of humor as well as showing a sense of humility.

Anyways

That may be good and all............but from where he's coming from, don't forget that there is no F-sport version for the GS450h within North American territory (as of the current moment).

Nevertheless, his review was good and he was honest and objective as possible. His review of the GS450h non-Fsport (the one he drove) was fairly positive. It's alright if he probably didn't like one or two things about the car............because after all, it's his opinion.

Just saying
Old 07-20-12, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I have driven GS250 today and its slow... you really have to gun it and you dont want to do that in big car really.
There is such huge difference in price between 250 and 450h, so that GS300h cant come soon enough.

GS350 is totally different beast, it is as if it has 200hp more, not 100.
Old 07-21-12, 04:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

On a business trip to New Zealand, I stumbled across a Wheels Magazine August edition, across the Pacific at the airport.
There was a comparison between the E Class, 5 Series, F Sport, A6 2.8, and the Jaguar XF.
The A6 came first, XF second, 5 Series third, E200 1.8 Turbo fourth, and the GS350 F Sport came last!
The journalist had a Greek surname.
A completely biased and ridiculous verdict from a Greek Europhile, saying that there was no feel in the F Sport steering.

In truth, all five cars are good, but in different ways.
Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
The better car will depend on the individual/personal tastes of the driver.
The most popular choice is the Benz, then BM, then GS, then A6, followed by the XF, but the most popular choice is not necessarily the best car, which depends on individual tastes.
However, the most popular choice does help the manufacturer and dealers earn a living.

I wish they'd come up with a neutral verdict, rather than such a biased verdict.
Journos with biased personalities should not be chosen to test vehicles...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-28-12 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Pete dont be suprispised... Look at Autoexpress - Apperantly 4GS is bland looking, has dated interior and poor suspension against competition... Makes you wonder if GS/A6/5 series that they test in USA are completely different cars. Of course they didnt test F-Sport, but they tested S-Line and M Sport :-). Out of all things they could find to say, i really wonder how they figured out it has "dated" cabin...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/g...s-gs-vs-rivals

3rd: Lexus GS 450h ★★★

Lexus is committed to a hybrid future, but the new GS 450h falls short of the best diesels in the executive class. Although performance is strong, the unresolved ride and vague handling disappoint, as do the dated cabin and bland looks. Low emissions and generous kit are plus points.
Old 07-27-12, 06:13 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I sat in the 4GS for the first time yesterday... was just at the dealership to pick up a part and figured why not. Of course, got stuck talking to a salesman who tried to convince me that the drivetrain was completely different than the 3GS (untrue) after I had told him that not a lot has changed since my car except some minor styling.

One thing I really did like about the car though was that the interior felt and looked great. Everything in there looked great to me... and I found myself imagining driving a GS around that didn't creak and rattle. The new GS interior doesn't do that, does it? :P

After sitting in the 4GS, I went and sat in the new RX as well and by comparison the RX felt and looked really cheap, even compared to my 3GS. Guess I'm spoiled. I really wanted to like the new RX more as that would be more of the kind of car that would be appropriate for me to own instead of a GS but bleh... I guess my only options if I wanted a lexus with more utility would be a GX without taking a big hit in fit and finish. I'll be waiting to see what they do with the GX with the next model refresh.

All in all, I don't really feel like the 4GS really warrants 3GS owners who are happy with the GS experience to go and spend a boatload of money to upgrade. At least not right now... given the history of the 3GS, part of me wonders if in the next year or two the engines will be miraculously upgraded and the base GS will suddenly become a 3.7L. That would make things a little more interesting. I still like Lexus better than the other luxury marques, maybe it's just blind faith and outdated thinking but I seem to be emotionally attached to Toyota.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-27-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-27-12, 08:26 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To answer your question, my 4GS has no rattles whatsoever. 2,200 miles.

Quick Reply: 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread