Old 10-10-12, 02:08 PM
LexFather

^^ Hey bud there was no 2012 model GS.
Old 10-15-12, 10:02 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

"The Best Steering In A Lexus Sedan To Date"

I've lately spent some quality time in our longterm 2013 Lexus GS 350, and I'm finding this a very well-executed sedan. For starters, its V6 punches the GS around with such authority -- Toyota's 3.5-liter 2GR-FSE V6 has always been an overachiever -- that a V8 is not strictly necessary (did I just type those words?). Great throttle response, too.

And the steering, well...

... it's the best steering in a Lexus sedan to date. It's quick, linear, builds effort nicely and generally feels more honest than that of the current 5 Series. The rear wheel-steering system that's part of the F-Sport package is truly seamless in its operation -- it simply works.
Full Article : http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...liking-it.html

(This is part of Insideline's ongoing Long Term Road Test of the GS350 F-Sport)
Old 10-17-12, 03:02 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My crticisms

I really like my GS 350. It is one of the best driver's cars (sedan) I have ever owned. And it had the best seats of any car I have owned (18-way w/semi-aniline). But there quite a few things that irritate me. Things that make it seem like Lexus doesn't sweat the details anymore. Many of these things would add very little to no cost or weight. Here are my criticisms:

1. The moonroof sunshade has to be one of the cheapest I have ever seen in a car. It feels flimsy, and it doesn't even completely match the headliner. Lexus needs to make it more fitting to the class. Audi, MB, and Volkswagen all have air vents in theirs so that when the roof is tilted you don't have to open the sunshade to vent. BMWs will automatically open a bit when you tilt the roof. It is even power opening in the new 5-series. All of theirs look and feel MUCH higher quality.

2. The trunk lid hinge system is really cheap. When open, a good breeze is enough to close it on your head. There are no gas struts to soften when it pops up to fully open and to help hold it in place (the VW Jetta rental car I just had even had these). In all actuality, this car at nearly $60k should have a power trunk lid (the previous GS had a much better hinge system and it even had power close assist). Also, why isn’t the trunk unlocked when the rest of the car is unlocked (frustrating)?

3. Retained music (audio system) on until driver’s door is opened. I think most other cars have this.

4. Auto volume when vehicle turned on. If the last driver left the radio at full blast I don't want to get into the car and have a heart attack. All other cars I have owned in this class have a setting so that when you turn the car on the music is at a pre-set volume (customizable in some cars).

5. No center sun visor above the mirror. And it looks unfinished in that area. With the mirror base just glued on to the windshield and all those exposed sensors and wires. It just looks cheap. I use a piece of foam I wedge in there until I can find a more finished solution.

6. I do not like this cheap generic rearview mirror with the homelink buttons in it (exact same mirror as in a Kia!). My mirror already vibrates. The buttons are flat and not distinguishable. If pushed too hard it moves your mirror. The wire is even exposed! They look like the same mirrors as in non-premium brands. What was wrong with 3 well defined buttons on the overhead console that Lexus used to have; it's not because of the sunglass holder! This brings me to number 6…

7. Sunglass holder! Lexus’ used to have these.

8. The door armrests are too shallow and at a slope. Arm can't comfortably rest there.

9. No water bottle holder in door pockets and the door pockets don’t flip open. The IS 250 has these features. The cup holders in the console don’t hold water bottles securely.

10. No power fold-in mirrors. The Kia Optima has these.

11. The Mark Levinson won't even play DTS encoded DVDs or CDAs, which I have a lot of. My friend’s LS 460 will play these.

12. The navigation guidance volume should increase with radio volume (like my other cars). Or, the music volume could dim a bit whenever a voice command is given.

13. Why did Lexus get rid of the voice commands for the voice guidance volume (ie. “LOUDER” “SOFTER”)? You can no longer stop or pause guidance with voice commands. WAY too many confirmations required in this system!

14. I wish there was a back button for the remote touch controller (the one on the steering wheel doesn't work on a lot of screens).

15. I wish the F-sport had 16-way adjustable passenger seat (main reason I got the Luxury package).

16. I wish you could firm up the suspension without changing the throttle and transmission.

17. There is no real button for the pollen and dust filter (like there used to be). It’s not even available on the smaller split screen; you have to go into the main climate screen.

18. The cruise control does not work with the transmission in manual mode. This makes no sense to me. It’s almost like Lexus saying that if they made a manual transmission car they wouldn't give you cruise control.

19. Why can’t you scroll through all of your Pandora radio stations while driving??? I have to use my phone again when driving which totally defeats any safety benefit the app suite is supposed to provide.

20. I would like one 12v charging port to be hot while the car is off so I can charge an electronic device when I’m not in the car. All of my German cars have this, and not once have I come out to a dead battery because of it.

Last edited by gkcmilner; 10-18-12 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 12:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's quite a list. A couple I wouldn't care about but others I do. The 3GS also has that flimsy moon roof cover. Hate that.
The 3GS also has flimsy or weak door and trunk hinges. Definitely hate that. The door has hit my knee many times when getting out of the car. Especially on windy days and when parked at inclines.

Lexus seems to have done well improving how the 4GS drives but did not improve anything else....including the looks. More indication this car was an after thought.

I guess I'd better stop....it seems I am the one person on this site not allowed to criticize the 4GS.
Old 10-17-12, 09:01 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

2013 Lexus GS 350: Worst to First?

Insideline Long Term Test Review :
Yes, I know I'm starting this entry on a mean note, but the previous-generation Lexus GS 350 didn't even rank among premium sport sedans. It was a nice, comfy, well-built luxury car, but really, it was a rear-drive ES.

This 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport is so different from that car. Yeah, I've only commuted in it so far, but I feel OK calling it a sport sedan, or certainly a sporty midsize luxury sedan, and I think it's now my favorite car in the class. It feels far less isolating and encumbered by its electronics than the current 528i and 535i. It reminds me a bit of the Audi A6, except this Lexus has much better steering feel and its V6 sounds fantastic when you peg the throttle (never had that thought about the A6's supercharged V6).

So far, the one thing that bugs me about the GS 350 is the Remote Touch interface, but I'm willing to make the effort to like it -- based solely on how much I enjoy the driving experience.

Erin Riches, Senior Editor @ 4,737 miles

Link : http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-to-first.html
Old 10-18-12, 04:25 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
2013 Lexus GS 350: Worst to First?

Insideline Long Term Test Review :

Link : http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-to-first.html
It's funny his main complaint was the remote touch controller, as that's one of my favorite. It's one of those things you appreciate after you've owned the car for a while.
Old 10-18-12, 10:41 AM
82nd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just love my 2013 GS 350. It is a great car!
Old 10-18-12, 12:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 82nd
I just love my 2013 GS 350. It is a great car!
+100
Old 10-19-12, 04:45 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Examiner

As we complete our review of the the Lexus GS 450h luxury sedan today we conclude that not all hybrids are created equal. When you think hybrid you usually visualize tiny wedge shaped cars that aren't fun to drive nor impressive to pull up in at the golf club. The Lexus GS 450h however might just break that stereotype for good.

The 2013 Lexus GS sedans are the brand's premium mid-size entry, offering rear-wheel drive architecture. It's one of the few of its breed that offers a hybrid power train, but that rarity comes at a price.

The Hybrid GS has a $12,050 step up from the base gasoline only GS 350 model. Similar to the top end Lexus LS 600h, this isn't necessarily an investment that will pay off on the back end for gas savings. Instead this hybrid is really more of a performance model, offering even more horsepower than the standard GS plus an increase in efficiency. In fact it's the most powerful GS you can buy.

The GS 450h starts at a base MSRP of $58,950. As tested our GS 450h came to a total price of $69,827. It was loaded with the $5,645 Luxury Package, $1,380 Mark Levinson audio system, the $1,755 Navigation system, Interactive Park Assist for $500, Blind Spot Monitor for $500 and a $242 Accessory Package.

The heart of the system is a 3.5 liter V6 engine which produces some 286 horsepower using both direct and port fuel injection. When combined with electric motors it delivers a total system power of 338 horsepower. Power is delivered through a constantly variable transmission (CVT).

We found the Lexus GS 450h to be 1 of the smoothest and most refined hybrids we have driven to date. The CVT delivers almost seamless power between both the electric and gasoline power sources. The start and stop of the gasoline engine is much smoother and less intrusive than say in the Infiniti M35h we drove earlier this year.

Power comes on strong when you ask for it, combining both gasoline and electric power sources for a strong push into your back. The transmission emulates the feel of a traditional transmission at times, providing a shift point or 2. Additionally, this CVT has steering wheel mounted paddle shifters that allow you to mix it up with some shift points when you want some fun.

Adding to the flexibility of the GS 450h power train is the driving mode **** on the console which allows you to select ECO, Standard, and Sport modes. ECO of course makes the car feel chained to a house by softening throttle response and increasing regenerative braking.

On the opposite end, Sport mode sharpens throttle response, allows more electric power on and tightens up the transmission for full performance. It's a well done set of programs that have distinct differences.

On the highway the GS 450h is silky smooth and whisper quiet. There is nary a rattle, virtually no wind noise and only an engine note when you really ask for it. As far as hybrid powertrain noise, there is none.

The interior is likely 1 of the best Lexus has ever assembled. Virtually every touch point is made of a soft premium grade material that feels as good as it looks. Unique bamboo wood accents abound, something only available in the hybrid. The seats are so comfortable and the heating/cooling feature works phenomenally well, particularly in our Arizona heat.

The large screen in the center of the dash houses the navigation, audio and other important information screens. Lexus made it large enough to display a full map view plus any combination of audio or other information on the side. The console mounted puck is used for all controls via the screen and works very well with its variable tactile feedback, one of the best in the business.

The Luxury Package includes among other things, a very special set of features for the rear passengers. There are heated rear seats, power operated sunshades all around, separate climate controls and audio controls. The Semi Analine leather trim is so sumptuous, you may want to stay in the car all day and read a good book.

Handling is crisp and enjoyable with a solid stable feel. The rear-wheel drive chassis is a true counterpart to those of the Mercedes Benz E-Class and BMW 5-Series. As we stated in our 1st review of the GS 450h, it fits neatly between Mercedes Benz's floaty cruiser feel and BMW's sharp edged sport sedan character. It's a nice blend between the two.

Gas mileage for our week with the GS 450h was a combined average of 33.4 mpg. When you consider that the car is EPA rated at 29 mpg city and 34 mpg highway with a combined rating of 31 mpg, we bettered that by 2.4 mpg rather easily. Acceleration from 0-60 comes in just below six seconds.

While these numbers aren't likely to pay off your $12,050 premium for the hybrid power train in less than 5 years of driving, its still nice to be in this mileage range for a car this large, this heavy, and this luxurious.

This is a hybrid car lets you have your cake and eat it too. It's the fastest, most powerful and most expensive Lexus GS you can buy but also gets the best mileage. It doesn't penalize you in the driving and enjoyment department like some hybrid cars do.

And while some feel a prestigious moment in their small wedge shaped hybrid cars, the 2013 Lexus GS 450h gives you more pecking order for the fast lane as well as the golf club.
Old 10-19-12, 09:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
That's quite a list. A couple I wouldn't care about but others I do. The 3GS also has that flimsy moon roof cover. Hate that.
The 3GS also has flimsy or weak door and trunk hinges. Definitely hate that. The door has hit my knee many times when getting out of the car. Especially on windy days and when parked at inclines.

Lexus seems to have done well improving how the 4GS drives but did not improve anything else....including the looks. More indication this car was an after thought.

I guess I'd better stop....it seems I am the one person on this site not allowed to criticize the 4GS.
No worries. Continue criticizing. We called a truce... plus, we who own them are all happy with our 4GS's.
Old 10-19-12, 09:59 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

BTW, I think the 3GS is one beautiful car, even today, and if it drove like the 4GS I would be looking for a nice CPO model. I loved it from the day it was introduced and still admire a nice, clean one with a sharp set of aftermarket rims.
Old 10-20-12, 10:46 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
BTW, I think the 3GS is one beautiful car, even today, and if it drove like the 4GS I would be looking for a nice CPO model. I loved it from the day it was introduced and still admire a nice, clean one with a sharp set of aftermarket rims.
The good thing is you can make the 3GS drive a whole lot better by lowering it and changing the wheels. I actually like the way mine drives.

Also, I haven't gotten to the point of calling the 4GS beautiful but it does look a lot better to me. Instead of trying to compare it to the GS lineage, I look at it now as a different car and that has helped me accept more. It's not a different car since it has the same engine as the 3GS but I try to convince myself it is.
Old 10-20-12, 09:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

The good thing is you can make the 3GS drive a whole lot better by lowering it and changing the wheels. I actually like the way mine drives.

Also, I haven't gotten to the point of calling the 4GS beautiful but it does look a lot better to me. Instead of trying to compare it to the GS lineage, I look at it now as a different car and that has helped me accept more. It's not a different car since it has the same engine as the 3GS but I try to convince myself it is.
I'll be totally honest and say that I haven't even accepted the 4GS as beautiful, but there are angles that appeal to me, the interior is killer and it is fun to drive. The key is to accept that Lexus is totally changing their look, for better or for worse. I loved the days of the rounded-off SC300/400 and would love to see them reinvented, but unfortunately they are not coming back and we will likely have the LF-LC or LF-CC instead. Even so, I'd rather settle for that than go the bloated BMW route.

And based on your post in this thread, it looks like it took you a while to warm up to the 3GS as well...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-design-2.html

Last edited by dseag2; 10-20-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 10:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I have the 3GS.
Naturally, the most recent model, the 4GS is the best - we would expect that.
However, I think all the GS's, from 1GS to 4GS are equally good cars relative to their era - that's why I agree with Rominl in his Post #320 here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...a-flop-22.html

Rominl doesn't expect the resale of the 4GS to be any different from previous generations of GS's.
Rominl doesn't see what's going to be exceptional about the 4GS.
The 4GS is good, it's improved, and it's certainly the best GS to date, but it not some sort of God, and it hasn't set the world on fire like the iPhone of 2007, or iPad of 2009 - making Apple the most profitable company in the world today.

They are different - the old 3GS's L-Finesse styling may have the edge in styling, but the new 4GS has certainly significantly improved on the torsional rigidity and bending stiffness of the platform, and hence the use of slightly firmer spring rates for quicker changes in direction, manifested as sharper steering feel.
However the 4GS spring rates and steering may still not be quite as firm as the Germans, which have noticeable bump thump, and common claim to more steering feel?
I would have to test drive the cars back to back more, to verify if the Germans have any extra steering feel, but the Germans do indeed have the extra bump thump.
It could just end up as a case of suspension compromise, with the GS being better riding, while the Germans having more feel in the steering, just like tests that say the C63 AMG is too hard, while the M3 is much easier to live with.

Each generation of cars seems to increase plus 1" on the alloy rims, going from the 1GS's 15", to 2GS 16", to 3GS 17", to the 4GS 18", [not sure if 5GS will be 19", it must stop somewhere?], so the torsional rigidity and bending stiffness must on the one hand keep up with the lower profile tires, and it must also on the other hand improve to actually make the body structure more rigid.

My old 3GS had common complaints for creaks and rattles on the center console, and my 3GS steering is truly dead and anesthetized, but because the old 3GS also had short spring travel, body roll was limited, such that the 3GS actually pulled more g's than the 2002-09 E Class on the skid pan!

If I'm not wrong, both the 3GS and 4GS pull the same number of g's on the skid pan. Can some one check old tests???
However, the 4GS with its stiffer body structure, firmer steering, and quicker changes in direction, does go through the slalom faster than the old 3GS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-21-12 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and same can probably be said that a modded 4gs can drive far better than a modded 3gs. i think we should stick with apple to apple.

not to mention, to be very honest, my 3gs was decently modded, but in terms of driver (performance, handling, and dynamics), a stock 4gs with luxury or fsport package is still few steps ahead.

Quick Reply: 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread