Old 12-01-11, 06:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

they are horrible presenters.
Old 12-01-11, 08:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That video has put to rest my fears of this car's aesthetics. In base form it still leaves some to be desired but that silver F-sport is HOT.
Old 12-02-11, 12:34 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post The Truth About Cars

When it rains, it pours. Both Alex Dykes and I were lucky enough to get a slot in the West Coast media introduction for the 2013 Lexus GS350, GS350 F-Sport, and GS450h. Rather than do a “Take 1” and “Take 2”, we decided to handle it the way OutKast would. Alex, like OutKast’s BigBoi, will be delivering a robust, well-rounded album, er, review, chock-full of on-road impressions and wide-angle interior photography. I will play the Andre3000 role (of course) and share with you The Love Below: performance-related impressions from driving four different GS variants, along with the Mercedes E350 and BMW 535i, through Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s short road course.

Put the needle on the record and the pedal to the metal: it’s time to meet the new Lexus.

The GS has been the lonesome loser in the Lexus lineup since it was introduced. Quick history lesson: Once upon a time, Giugiaro’s ItalDesign firm created an unsolicited design for a future Jaguar, calling it the Jaguar Kensington Concept. Here it is:

Jaguar wasn’t buying, but Toyota was, and they used the basic design for a home-market Crown Aristo in 1991. That car ended up being available with all sorts of bad-assed machinery including a turbocharged straight-six and all-wheel-drive, but the North American market received it in 1993 as the rather sedate, normally-aspirated, RWD Lexus GS300. The next generation was styled in-house with quasi-Benz four-eyed headlights; the (current) one after that was a generic “L-Finesse” blandwagon. They’ve never sold worth a damn, perhaps because they’ve never offered much of a value alternative to the German competition. Go price out an S550 and an LS460, then repeat the comparison with the E350 and GS350. Whoa, right?

Lexus can’t change what they’re charging for the car. The content, the yen, the blah blah blah. So instead they’ve decided that the new GS will compete on traditionally German attributes. It will be styled more aggressively, contain more wacky features, and be better to drive than the BMW, Benz, and Audi. Any mention of Infiniti is carefully avoided. They’re second tier, dontcha know.

Alex will discuss the styling; my opinion is that it’s yet another Japanese take on the long shadow of Chris Bangle’s flame-surface ideas, with a pleasing homage to the 1984 Celica Coupe’s taillights. Let’s get to the comparison with the E350 and 535i, shall we?

Start with the interior: it’s noticeably more cramped cozy than the Germans. Bangle’s with us here, too, in the horizonal wood-and-polished-metal layout, but Lexus has married that idea with a traditional center console, complete with J-pattern shifter. It’s tougher to get in and out of than the Benz or Bimmer.

Around LVMS’s short course, the base GS immediately impresses. Rather than split the difference between the E350 and 535i’s control efforts, Lexus has chosen to go hardcore. Through the initial slalom, the Lexus carries more speed than the others. Unfortunately, the engine does split the difference, and it’s closer to the poky Benz than the torquey BMW. Thanks to a dopey “engine sound generator” attached to the intake, you get plenty of aren’t-we-sporty growl, but the E350 delivers similar thrust in a more dignified fashion. The BMW? Well ahead. If the GS were a “ghost car” on our test course, like in Gran Turismo, we would see the BMW beat it to the final gate handily on power, while the Mercedes requires a minor lift before that last gate that the others simply don’t.

Reaching the long, sweeping back corner, the BMW is ahead, but the Lexus claws a lot of the gap back! How? Simple: it has more front-end grip. The Benz, meanwhile, proves to be a trustworthy companion, accurately conveying the traction situation despite light steering. Light doesn’t mean bad, you know. All three cars are surprisingly neutral given their weight and size.

They also all have adequate braking for this short, low-speed (well under 90mph tops) course, even as the journo-hacks tirelessly corner-brake again and again over the course of hours. The second half of our test track consists of two fast corners and another evasion gate. Again, the BMW shows the beauty of its engine, while the GS displays its ability to choose and maintain a line throughout the turn. It’s funny, really. A Lexus, delivering a more neutral balance than a BMW. What we could really use here is a combination of everyone’s best assets. A turbo GS, or a big-motor GS.

What we get instead is a hybrid. On the LVMS course, the GS450h is useless. It handles just fine, but the nature of the event doesn’t let the battery charge. The result: instead of being a GS with more power (338hp combined, while the standard GS has 306) it’s a GS with more weight. Make no mistake, though, this is no Prius. It’s probably just as fast around the course as the E350, even with a depleted battery.

The star of the event was the GS350 F-Sport, which adds 19-inch wheels and optional rear-steer to the mix. Rear-steer? Oh, yes. The Japanese love rear steer the way they love “success cats”, and Toyota has engineered a nice, compact electronic system. The F-Sport could be driven flat-out from the starting line to the exit of the slalom/gate system down the first straight. In my hands, the F-Sport was very, very quick in direction changes, as you’d expect. It’s as simple as turning the console suspension **** to “S+”, (any relation to BMW’s “Sport+ setting is strictly intentional) giving the F-Sport slow, precise steering motions, and letting the back wheels simply complete the motion around the pointer cones. More agility with less steering input. I love it.

Riding right-seat with another journo, I saw the system work very differently. This fellow would saw at the wheel, causing the rear-steer to respond with very big motions at the back. After a moment or so of lurid sliding, the stability control would intervene and calm everything down. My colleague hated the rear-steer. The lesson: it’s a finesse tool. Use it appropriately. Alex Dykes, by the way, was quite rapid around the course in the F-Sport and easily outpaced many of the people who claimed to be “fast”. The key? He has slow, controlled steering motions. If Lexus really wanted my business, they would let me use the wacky mouse controller on the armrest to dial-in my preferred degree of rear-steer on the fly. Top speed freeway run? Turn it off. Local autocross? Set phasers to kill.

Speaking of autocrossing… Lexus set up a 35-second cone layout for us to all try the GS350 AWD model, which was not available on the road course. No competitive vehicle was available. I set fast time of the day (at least until I left to catch my flight) but couldn’t bring myself to love that car at all. It was the slowest, piggiest, and least pleasant GS. Save the driven front axle for your grandmother or the hopelessly inept. Give me the F-Sport.

Actually, don’t give me the F-Sport. While it was the car of choice at LVMS, on the open road I found the GS450h really came into its own, particularly with its dirt-cheap, Chinese-grown-and-harvested environmentally-responsible bamboo trim package. Here’s the problem. The F-Sport whipped the (Lexus-provided) BMW and Benz on the road course, no sweat. Unfortunately for Lexus, the sales race is decided in showrooms, not on coned-up racetracks, and once you get to the showroom, you’re likely to find that it’s actually cheaper to lease a neighbor-impressing German mid-sizer. Why pick the GS over cars which have more street cred and do everything else just as well? Only the hybrid has the answer. With an expected 30mpg combined mileage (confirmed for me by the 30.8 the “h” reported during my street drives), a uniquely-themed interior, and all the anti-conspicuous-consumption emotional baggage you can possibly pack into a $60,000 car, it’s simply the most satisfying model available, and it’s the only Lexus GS that says anything to anyone — other than “I just saved $2000 on my luxury car.”

In a segment virtually defined by forty-something social climbers trying to eke out the most bling possible from a limited budget, Lexus is playing a losing hand. If I had to keep any of these cars for 200,000 miles, of course I would pick the GS. Does anybody really do that? Proabably not. If you do, however, feel free to purchase the Lexus, with my blessings… and I never, ever, ever thought I would write it, but consider the hybrid, okay?

Old 12-02-11, 12:41 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default Cnet

After years of hearing that its cars are smooth and tech-rich while lacking the passion and fun that appeal to devoted drivers, Lexus might be getting it.

To prove it's headed in a new direction branded by "emotion" and "passion," Lexus gathered journalists at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel along the Pacific coastline between Los Angeles and San Diego to test-drive the 2013 Lexus GS on a route across the SoCal freeways, along the coast, and over mountain roads. The six-cylinder midrange luxury sedan will greet showrooms in three primary setups--the standard 350, the 450h hybrid version, and a tuned F Sport for the biggest performance fans.

Lexus has never been interested in the fins, vents, and flashy exhaust pipes of some performance cars, so much of the 2013 GS body design remains simple and easily identified as a conservative Lexus. But, taking a page from its ridiculous king of the line, the Lexus LFA, the GS greets you with a dual, up/down grille--with its underneath layer sporting 3 angled scoops.

The interior features include that familiar Lexus mix of leather and wood trim. The hybrid model throws in that little extra piece of "green" flair by accenting its doors panels and dash with bamboo. But it's technology that really dominates the experience of sitting in a GS. Lexus introduced a center console mouse/joystick device in its 2011 models, allowing drivers or passengers to guide a cursor through onscreen menus while the car is in motion--though some attention-rich functions are suspended when the wheels are in motion.

Previous models set the joystick where the shifter stick would be "on the floor" of most car designs, with a click button on both the right and left side of its pedestal. The 2013 GS removes those buttons and allows a simple downward push of the joystick to click onscreen selections.

Another big debut is the center dashboard's 12.3-inch-wide screen, the industry's largest such display. The extra visual space allows Lexus to combine elements that other screens can't handle, such as a guidance map and complete menus or a directions list and audio options. To take advantage of the size increase, Lexus also improved and enriched its map software, providing finer route guidance details, more destination names, and clearer dimension highlighting to help guide your eye en route.

Once the GS was set free along the various Lexus-approved driving routes, its 2013 improvements came to the foreground.

By focusing on a mix of lighter refined materials, engineers increased body rigidity by a reported 14 percent without adding an ounce to the vehicle's overall weight of 3,800 pounds. Add that tightened stiffness to a new multilink rear suspension creating four-wheel-steering, improved traction control, and optional all-wheel drive, and you have a standard-issue V6 GS that confidently goes where you point its nose. The 350 power plant is a 3.5-liter, 306-hp engine harnessed by a 6-speed automatic, serving up fuel economy of 19/28 mpg.

The hybrid GS 450h combines the V6 with an electric motor to produce 338 hp with a maxed-out mpg of 29/34. That electric motor is mounted above the back axle for weight distribution, so the GS 450h models are available in rear-drive exclusively.

However, for an eager driver, the F Sport setup is the most attractive. Stylized with the now-familiar F badge and including 19-inch wheels, it also has huge 14-inch front brake rotors, tightened-up suspension, and a variable gear ratio steering system. The F Sport is the only model in the line to include the Lexus Dynamic Handling System, which turns the rear wheels slightly to improve bite and reduce understeer.

As Lexus executives there stayed on message by stressing themes of newly found "passion," the F Sport proved the most worthy recipient of that expressive noun. On its multiple laps around a test track set up at the former El Torro Marine Base (current home of the U.S. variant of "Top Gear") the F Sport provided more raw excitement than either the 2011 Mercedes Benz C350 or the 2011 BMW 535i on hand for direction comparison. It's not often a Lexus will let you drive hot enough to leave a smell of simmering rubber as you de-car, but the GS F Sport had all sniffing happily as they hopped out of the driver's seat.

The final take on the 2013 GS reports a much improved driving experience and easily the third best performing car in the Lexus line--behind the IS F and the celestial LFA. If designers wanted to introduce more "emotion" and enjoyment into this car, mission accomplished. But, a little more outward flair and cosmetic design spicing might further distinguish the model for drivers reconsidering the performance capabilities of Lexus.

Old 12-02-11, 01:46 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Funny, but not a single review article includes the Infiniti M as if that car does not exist.......
Old 12-03-11, 03:03 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Left Lane News review

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-gs...ve-review.html

Pretty thorough review that covers the GS history's hits and misses along with the new model highlights and improvements.

SNiiP3R - the author mentions the M35h... and that it yields 2MPG to the 450h. :-)

Last edited by twylie; 12-03-11 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 07:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

So quite an driver... apperantly 535i was sport version as well.
Old 12-03-11, 12:24 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Winding Road

In the world of mid-size luxury sedans, the big players have been the BMW 5-Series, Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The Lexus GS, meanwhile, skated under the proverbial radar, lacking the performance cred of the 5-Series, the luxury cachet of the E-Class, or the sumptuous interior of the A6. It wasn’t a bad car, but even Lexus admits the Germans had dominated the market. Lexus is hoping to reverse that trend with the 2013 GS, and after a long day flogging it at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, we think Toyota’s luxury brand has got a pretty good shot of doing it.

Sadly (or not depending on your interpretation), our time with the GS was almost entirely in a track environment. So if you are reading this article hoping for detailed reflections on how comfortable and smooth the ride is, you’ll probably be disappointed. If, however, you want to read about just how sporting the new GS really is, you’re in the right place.

The transformation starts with a new exterior. The “spindle grille” of the GS is the new face of Lexus, so get used to seeing that look around the local country club. Many of the aesthetic pieces also hide functional improvements, such as the revised lower fascia that channels extra air into the brakes for enhanced cooling. The wheels have been modified to further reduce the coefficient of drag, while several tweaks to the shape and angle of the back bumper and taillights increase aerodynamic efficiency even further.

The real improvements come in the cabin, where Lexus worked hard to create a driver-centric arrangement that wasn’t just comfortable, but was actually engaging. The seats feature a wide range of adjustments, with a ten-way power setup standard (18-way power seats are available on the Luxury trim, while the GS350 F-Sport offers 16-way buckets). In base trim, the seats proved comfortable, although we were limited to track work, meaning we’ll need to wait until we get a GS into the office to conduct long-distance testing. For performance driving, though, these thrones were up to the task. Side bolstering was appropriate without feeling claustrophobic, and it was easy to find a comfortable driving position. We messed about with the seat in several different positions, and also found the GS to have excellent sightlines for a variety of seat heights.

Following the engaging tone set by the new seats, a new, leather-wrapped, three-spoke wheel comes standard. The thick-rimmed and small-diameter wheel isn’t the sort we’d normally associate with a Lexus, feeling like a less-padded version of the BMW M3’s sport wheel. Behind it sits a pair of paddle shifters (standard across the range). These paddles feel good and have a nice action, but feel oddly placed in relation to the wheel itself. They poke out ever so slightly from behind the spokes of the wheels, and could stand to be positioned a bit higher up, as their layout feels like an instance of form before function.

In addition to the primary interfaces, the cabin is a nice place to spend time. The dash materials look and feel good, with a nice array of wood and leather on hand. The GS boasts the latest iteration of Lexus’s mouse-controlled navigation system, this time featuring a massive 12.3-inch screen. It’s split, with about two-thirds of the screen dedicated to the standard systems (nav, info, phone, climate, audio, etc.) while the right third of the screen can be adjusted to display simpler info, like climate and audio. It’s a nice setup, but we wish we could turn it off and just have one massive screen to work with (like in BMW’s iDrive).

When the GS comes to market, it will be with the choice of two engines. The GS350 features a 3.5-liter V-6, with 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque, while the GS450h hybrid will have a version that runs on an Atkinson cycle and is mated to a battery and an electric motor. If you are thinking this doesn’t match up too well with the BMW 5-Series’s 3.0-liter turbo 6-pot, you’d be right. The 535i that was on hand for comparison felt quicker in most instances. The naturally aspirated Lexus mill did feature a snappier throttle response than the blown Bimmer, but in a straight drag race, our money is on the torquier German.

In its own little world, though, this 3.5 is pretty good. We mentioned the sharp throttle response, but this engine is more than a one-trick pony. Power comes on in a smooth, linear fashion, as expected of a Lexus engine. Off-the-line thrust isn’t going to smoke the tires (we tried), but there’s enough mid-range grunt to make the GS feel heroic during passing maneuvers.

Far and away the best thing about the V-6 was the way it sounded. Lexus used what it calls an Intake Sound Creator. It kicks in at mid to high rpms, and uses a damper to capture intake vibrations and, thanks to a set of resonance tubes, turns the vibrations into noise. That’s right, Lexus is essentially making its engines sound louder in the cabin. And boy does it work. The closest comparison we could make is that the GS sounds ever so slightly like a Nissan 370Z or Hyundai Genesis V-6 Coupe, but with more induction noise in the cabin, and a smoother exhaust note outside. It’s that good.

If you are wondering why we haven’t mentioned a V-8-powered GS, it’s because there isn’t one anymore. That’s right, the new GS lineup will consist of a naturally aspirated V-6 and a hybrid drivetrain. We can’t say we’re happy about it, especially when BMW and Mercedes-Benz both offer V-8 versions of their mid-size lux sedans, but Lexus claims that its planned lineup will satisfy most customers, with those seeking V-8s opting instead for the GS450h hybrid.

Bucking the trend, Lexus chose to feature a six-speed automatic, as opposed to the 8-speed boxes that are quickly becoming the norm in the market (BMW and Audi both offer 8-speed autos, while Mercedes uses a seven-speed autobox). According to Chief Engineer Yoshihiko Kanamori, the 8-speed that Lexus was testing for the GS didn’t deliver the desired level of performance, and spent too long hunting for gears (funny, we said the same thing the last time we tested a car with Lexus’s 8-speed auto).

Shift speeds for the 6AT can happen in as little as three tenths of a second, and unlike other Toyota products, this transmission actually listened to our inputs. Slotting the gearlever into manual mode gave us snappier shifts, as well as throttle blips on downshifts (if you are in Sport mode as well). Yes, if you hit redline, it’ll still upshift automatically, but the fact that this transmission actually obeyed our inputs and shifts on command is a huge step forward from the old GS.

The GS’ 6-speed isn’t just good in a vacuum though. It stood up well enough to the BMW’s eight-speed auto, and felt far more competent in a performance setting than the E-Class’ 7-speed transmission. Upshifts and downshifts felt faster, and better timed (when left in automatic). Shift shock wasn’t an issue either, as mid-corner shifts (we were testing, get off our case) didn’t do much to disrupt the chassis.

As good as the powertrain is, it’s nothing compared to what Lexus has done with the steering and handling. This is an electronic power steering setup, but it’s probably 1 of the best we’ve tested in a very long time. It features a fast 13.2:1 steering ratio, but manages to not feel overboosted or artificial in its execution. It weights up nicely, and manages to be very workable in a dynamic driving situation. It doesn’t deliver a ton of feedback, though, instead relying on the suspension and chassis to deliver grip information to the driver. If there’s one thing to take away from this new steering setup, it’s the amount of confidence it instilled. We put it through some seriously dynamic driving situations and came away impressed with the way it handled (no pun intended) itself.

It was a similar story with the handling, as a multitude of changes were made to the GS to improve its dynamic ability. For a start, this new car is stiffer than the one it replaces, thanks to an increased use of high-strength steel reinforcements in the chassis, as well as hot-pressed ultra-high-strength steel in the B-pillar construction and roofline. Aluminum suspension pieces cut some unsprung weight, while the interior materials see a ten-percent reduction in weight as well. Despite the weight savings, the 2013 GS weighs the same as its 2011 predecessor, tipping the scales at 3795 pounds.

These changes, along with the double-wishbone front/multi-link rear suspension make for a car that is far more engaging in handling situations than the old GS. Body motions, especially roll, have been seriously curbed, while squat and dive weren’t really issues either. The outright handling ability was nice, but it was the amount of confidence the GS inspired that really made it fun to drive. There was a real progression in the body movements, and grip was well communicated through the seat of the pants, making it easy to judge just what was going on between rubber and road. We never felt like the GS was going to bite us, even with the stability control flashing angrily at us. The remarkable thing was driving the Lexus back-to-back with the 5-Series. The BMW felt nervous, almost twitchy, when pushed around with the same vigor as the GS.

When our tech briefing began that morning, Lexus vice-president and general manager Mark Templin called the GS a grand-touring sedan. With the dynamic improvements that were made, we have every reason to believe him. As we said earlier, we drove the GS almost exclusively in a track environment, meaning we’ll need to wait to get one into the office to do an extended test of just how comfortable it is. Maybe we’ll throw a couple of the Germans in there as well. Hmmm,

VS: BMW 535i

As we said, the 5-Series will win a straight-line race. Its turbocharged powerplant just delivers too much torque for the Lexus to really compete. In fact, shown a set of curves, the 5-Series might still win. The thing is, the GS is easier to drive quickly, and for that reason, it would probably be our choice.

The GS feels more stable, especially when being pushed hard. At times, the 5-Series felt unruly, liable to step out of line with less provocation than the Lexus. Part of the problem was the nature of power delivery from the turbocharged six-cylinder, as hitting the gas too early on corner exit could cause stability problems.

VS: Mercedes-Benz E350

With the 5-Series, A6, and GS all getting significant redesigns, the E350 is now the old car in the range, and it shows. The cabin in the Benz just can’t stand up to the new Lexus. The materials don’t feel that great, and the infotainment systems are feeling at least a generation behind everyone else.

We’ll need an extended test of the GS to get a firm verdict on its luxury credentials (especially the ride around town), but based on our time with it, it is going to outshine the older E-Class.
2013 Lexus GS350
Engine: V-6, 3.5 liters, 24v
Output: 306 hp/277 lb-ft
0-60 MPH: 5.7 sec
Top Speed: 142 mph
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 19/28 mpg
Base Price: $47,000 (est)
On Sale: February 2012
Old 12-03-11, 12:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone says the 535i would win in a straight line but despite the torque there is still the considerable added weight. Don't both cars have similar 0-60 time estimates?
Old 12-03-11, 06:04 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Everyone says the 535i would win in a straight line but despite the torque there is still the considerable added weight. Don't both cars have similar 0-60 time estimates?
Probably because of the higher torque number, plus it is available at less rpms. So it feels faster.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-seri...full-test.html

0-60 in 5.9s 60-0 in 110ft 0.84 g of grip 64.9 mph at the slalom With sport package

Lexus GS350

0-60 in 5.8s 60-0 in 112ft 0.88 g of grip 69.7 mph at the slalom WIth F sport package

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gs-3...full-test.html

In this particular car magazine, Lexus GS owned the Bmw 535i. Handling was particularly amazing for the Lexus.
Old 12-04-11, 03:28 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Car & Driver

Lexus wants us to believe that the 2013 GS is a different car from its predecessor—an evolved car, a bona fide sports sedan. As we poked, prodded, and drove the new GS350 and the GS350 F Sport, we felt a bit like a parole officer trying to discern if our charge had truly changed its ways. Is the GS still an offender?

A clear outward sign of change is the GS’s exterior. Like most new cars with sporting pretensions, the GS has LED flourishes surrounding the headlamps (LED headlights are optional), a small amount of chrome, and a scowling front fascia. Opt for the F Sport version and the wheels and front-end scowl get larger. While its wheelbase is the same as the 2011 model’s, the new GS is 0.7 inch wider and 0.7 inch longer than before. As the 1st production vehicle to receive Lexus’s new L-finesse styling, the GS isn’t immediately identifiable as a Lexus. It’s more aggressive than Lexuses of the past, and reminds us a bit of an Infiniti.

Refined for the Traditional Lexus Buyer, Enlivened for the Rest of Us

But if the GS looks a little like an Infiniti, it’s even more Infiniti-esque in its personality. Even the GS350 equipped with the Luxury package has a solid and direct feel. But there isn’t a sacrifice in ride comfort or practicality. Up front, aluminum control arms and knuckles lighten up the suspension, while the rear springs and shocks are now separate, which opens up more trunk space. It doesn’t take long to realize that the ride of the GS seems more elastic and compliant than before. Even the F Sport version, with its stiffer suspension and 19-inch wheels, is civilized. Chassis and road noise are kept in the distance, but engine sounds are brought to the forefront. Work the V-6 hard, and a resonator on the intake tract funnels the motor’s growls and snarls toward the cabin. The sound livens up the experience without giving up much refinement. And if you’re the type of Lexus buyer who never stomps on the throttle, the engine will never raise its voice above a whisper.

Equipped with Toyota’s dual direct and port fuel injection, the 3.5-liter V-6 essentially carries over from the previous GS350. Lexus did find three more horsepower and three more pound-feet of torque, for new totals of 306 hp and 277 lb-ft; it’s good for, we figure, a 0-to-60-mph time of about 5.6 seconds. Extracting that sort of performance requires working the engine past its 4800-rpm torque peak, however, which is something most luxury buyers will rarely attempt. But the V-6 is willing and hums all the way to its redline, although more low-end torque would be welcome.

That low-end grunt will be available via the GS450h hybrid. Like the previous version, a gasoline engine is supplemented by electric motors. Unlike the previous GS hybrid, the 2013 model’s gasoline engine runs on the more-efficient Atkinson cycle. Despite a higher compression ratio (13.0:1 versus the previous 11.8:1) and a revised intake, the move to Atkinson cost the 3.5-liter V-6 6 horsepower. The electric motors are unchanged, but can be fed more electricity thanks to the power-control unit’s greater cooling capacity. The extra juice available from the battery pack cancels out the loss of engine power, and so total output remains at 338 hp. While not exactly as powerful as its competitors’ V-8 offerings, the hybrid setup's additional low-end torque should help the GS450h achieve 60 mph about a tenth quicker than the GS350. The car’s buyers likely will be more interested in the hybrid’s EPA estimated fuel economy of 29 city and 34 highway, however. The 2011 GS450h returned a far less impressive 22/25.

Dual Threat: Luxury and Sport

Drive the GS350 with comfort primarily in mind and it will not disappoint. Comfy chairs, spacious accommodations, and an artfully decorated interior await front-seat passengers. Rear-seat occupants will find deeply scalloped and supportive seats and generous legroom. The instrument panel has—gasp!—an analog clock in place of Lexus’s trademark and seriously dated digital piece. Opt for navigation and the GS comes with a massive 12.3-inch screen that serves as the gateway to Toyota’s Entune infotainment system. Pair your smartphone with the GS via Bluetooth or a physical connection and you can access your Facebook, Bing, Pandora, OpenTable, and Yelp apps through the car. Although you can’t type in any Bing searches at speeds above 6 mph, the speech-recognition system will allow you to do a web search at higher velocities.

For those who want their GS extra sporty, the aforementioned optional F Sport package adds a firmer suspension, larger 14-inch front brake rotors, electronically controlled shocks, and the 19-inch wheels. The rims come wrapped with staggered summer rubber on rear-wheel-drive models, while AWD models get single-width, all-season rubber. Four-wheel steering and variable-ratio steering are optional, and although the 4-wheel steering makes for extremely stable cornering, we found the conventional, two-wheel-steering version to be more playful and willing to swing its tail on command. We can’t imagine many GS owners will partake in such antics, but this Lexus does allow the stability control to be completely shut off. Clearly, someone at Lexus thinks that its owners should have the choice to show off their drifting skills to fellow country clubbers.

To recap: In addition to the GS450h hybrid model (which will arrive mid-2012), buyers can choose between the GS350 and its base, Luxury, and F Sport models. All-wheel-drive versions will be available at launch, too. Pricing is yet to be determined, but we expect that Lexus will start the GS lineup at just below $50,000. Luxury versions are likely to require around $55,000, while the GS350 F Sport and hybrid are expected to be priced at around $60,000. Those window stickers would put the GS right up against the 6-cylinder BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-class, the juggernauts of the segment. The GS now has the moves to compete with those two German brands, and it hasn’t lost the quiet refinement we’ve come to expect of Lexus. The GS isn’t going to bore enthusiastic drivers, but it’ll be happy to bore you if you’re a boring driver.

Old 12-04-11, 03:53 PM
Tropical41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see comparo
Old 12-04-11, 04:45 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow TheFastLane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Uy1...layer_embedded
Old 12-04-11, 07:34 PM