From the video posted the rear end looks a lot like an IS in this shot:

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread-d6mgu.png

F-sport is very sexy in black.
Old 12-06-11, 05:13 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow AsiaOne

LEXUS isn't exaggerating when it says the new GS range is a critical milestone for the Japanese luxury brand. With its revolutionary styling and handling, it is clear that the new mid-size premium sedan will set the tone for a new line-up of Lexus models.

With its clean sheet design, the fourth-generation model seems like a breath of fresh air for a marque that is just over 2 decades old. It reflects a further development of Lexus' L-finesse design philosophy, with a distinctive nose that sports a so-called "spindle" grille and arrowhead lamps.

The profile has a more well-defined 3-box shape than its predecessor, with a rear that looks a bit like an enlarged IS sedan.

The front overhang is 10 mm shorter but, interestingly, the brand-new GS platform retains the same 4,850 mm overall length and 2,850 mm wheelbase as the outgoing model. Its track is wider, though, by 40 mm in front and 50 mm behind.

The new GS body is more aerodynamic and more rigid. For example, air flow over the underbody and tail lights have been optimised, while hot-pressed ultra-strength steel has improved torsional rigidity by 14 per cent.

Key differences

The new chassis features double wishbone front suspension and a rear multi-link set-up. Some key differences include the front suspension's more liberal use of aluminium to reduce unsprung weight, while the rear coil springs have been moved to increase damper effectiveness as well as trunk space. More importantly, they allow for a supple ride with an unusually high level of comfort for the rear passenger.

Under the hood, there are 2 conventional engine options to drive the rear wheels, with the GS300 giving way to the new GS250 and GS350.

The former has the same 2.5-litre V6 unit of the current IS250, while the latter has the 3.5-litre V6 power plant that has been available in the US.

Both are also mated to the familiar 6-speed automatic transmission.

The GS350 with its 306 hp and 378 Newton-metres of torque is surprisingly fun to drive. While the old GS300 was a competent car, it was hardly entertaining.

The new GS350, however, is completely different, as experienced at the El Toro airbase in Southern California where the global media launch of the new Lexus GS range was held last month.

Its new steering is accurate and responsive, and paired with the good torque, the GS350 is agile and quick in a high-speed lane change manoeuvre and through a slalom section.

This agility is no doubt improved with a wider track but it is further enhanced by the new LDH Lexus Dynamic Handling system.

This option integrates dynamic rear steering, variable gear ratio steering and electric power steering to make the GS350 even more responsive to driver input. Turn-in is sharper and there is more control. Together with reduced understeer, even more aggressive cornering is encouraged.

Rear-wheel steering is not a new concept for carmakers but what makes the Lexus system superior is the electronic management and its ability to control body movement.

Eye-opener

With LDH, all variable factors that impact handling - not just vehicle speed - is monitored, such as steering angle, yaw rate and lateral g-force. LDH will even tune the active safety systems and optional adaptive suspension while taking into account driving style.

But while the GS350 is surprisingly sharp, it is the GS250 which is the real eye-opener. With a kerb weight of 1,640 kg (about the same as the old GS300), the GS250 displays high onroad confidence and driveability despite having less power and torque than the old GS300. Its lower kerb weight compared with the new GS350 also means the GS250's steering is sweeter and feels more natural.

It may have taken 18 years since the first GS was launched but this mid-sized rear-wheel-drive luxury sedan is finally worthy of taking on the German competition.
Lexus GS250
Engine: 2,500 cc V6
Transmission: Six-speed automatic
Max Power: 207 hp @ 6,400 rpm
Max Torque: 253 Nm @ 4,800 rpm
0-100kmh: 8.6 secs
Top speed: 230 kmh
Distributor: Borneo Motors
Old 12-06-11, 03:12 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvciafoo_2o

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 12-06-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 04:00 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm digging the blue/green/grey color shown as a test vehicle in these videos. Really pops in direct sunlight.
Old 12-06-11, 07:42 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Are we getting the GS 450h F Sport in The States?
Old 12-06-11, 09:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am shocked they stuck the 2.5 in the new GS. I wonder why they didn't put a detuned or non direct inject 3.5 in the new GS.

Anyways, it seems like all the reviewers are mentioning that it is different from the outgoing model.

I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 12-07-11, 10:43 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am shocked they stuck the 2.5 in the new GS. I wonder why they didn't put a detuned or non direct inject 3.5 in the new GS.

Anyways, it seems like all the reviewers are mentioning that it is different from the outgoing model.

I can't wait to see it in person.
Engine displacement tax.
Old 12-07-11, 11:17 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Red F-sport Hybrid is HOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRYrlsyL6v8
Old 12-07-11, 04:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Weird that it doesn't have F Sport rims...
Old 12-07-11, 05:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Weird that it doesn't have F Sport rims...
It looks like it has the hybrid's rims but larger and grayed out like the F-sport wheels which is understandable considering this is the F-sport hybrid.
Old 12-08-11, 09:42 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't decide which color I like best. Black, Platinum Silver, or the red.
Old 12-08-11, 11:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
Lexus GS250 for Singapore
Not bad

But I doubt something like a GS250 would work for the Philippines (via Lexus Manila).

Well
not that I'm referring to power output (lol 200 horses is a lot for uber-*** slow Philippine traffic).

It's just that well:
2500cc engine displacement cannot apply for tariff discounts under our taxation scheme (bilateral agreement between Philippines and Japan). It has to be 3000 cc and above..........unless you want to wait for year 2015 (when the law will apply the import tax reductions to sub-3000cc engines).

Hence, in this case, something like a GS350 (or anything 3000cc or above in engine displacement) would be more appropriate for us. The comparison between taxes for the GS250 and GS350 are not spaced enough hence it creates diminishing returns.

Anyways
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The red color looks nice........BUT DAMN, those wheels are FUGLY!!!!

When it comes to the 4GS, it's ONLY either this:

or you can forget about it anything less than that.
Old 12-08-11, 11:21 AM
Tropical41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on! Show me good comparo GS-F VS Germans/M37
Old 12-08-11, 04:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
It looks like it has the hybrid's rims but larger and grayed out like the F-sport wheels which is understandable considering this is the F-sport hybrid.
i think they look great, batter doesnt look as boring as normal hybrid wheels though, just many spokes and some spidery feel to the tips.

Quick Reply: 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread