GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 05:10 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Chicago Tribune

Lexus isn't known for exciting sports cars. It's the leader in quiet, comfortable luxury sedans that deliver good value, but that's not the reputation you want if you're trying to sell a dynamic sport sedan like the GS 350 -- even if it has made Lexus one of the best-selling luxury brands in recent history.

The 2013 Lexus GS sedan won't just change the sport sedan's place in the industry; it will change the entire brand when it goes on sale in February 2012.

The new GS' impressive blend of nimble handling, quiet road manners, intriguing looks and high-level interior seem like the perfect blueprint for the brand's future.

Performance

The old GS suffered from a split personality. It wasn't sporty enough to win over BMW or Audi shoppers, nor was it comfortable enough to sway Mercedes-Benz shoppers. Somehow, the 2013 GS is both sportier and more comfortable, 2 characteristics that don't typically go together.

Rear-wheel-drive GS sedans felt incredibly nimble through a closed road course set up by Lexus, with lots of grip and crisp, precise steering. Lexus supplied a new BMW 535i for comparison, and the BMW felt heavier and more bloated in the course's tight, orange-cone-lined confines. In my opinion, the GS won, hands down.

A few inches shorter than the 535i and nearly 200 pounds lighter, the GS felt like a different class of car in sharp turns. I had to adjust much more for the German sedan's weight shift midway through maneuvers.

This is all well and good, but buyers will be commuting in the GS, not fighting for rally titles.

Luckily, the GS shines there, too.

On expanses of desert roadways, the GS soared over the pavement with little noise intrusion, whether the surfaces were pristine or pockmarked. Lexus is already famed for its quiet driving experience, and the GS delivers that with a better feel for the road than the automaker's ES and LS sedans. It's just not as in-tune with the road as the 535, but that car is louder with a rougher ride.

The new GS carries over the same 3.5-liter V-6 engine as the 2011, with a 6-speed automatic. It's good for 306 horsepower, but it doesn't come on as quickly as the twin-turbo inline-6 in the BMW 535. Still, it will be enough for most buyers, and in terms of 0-to-60-mph speeds, the GS is in line with the 535. Both have manufacturer's estimates of 5.7 seconds to 60 mph.

The base GS comes with Eco, Normal and Sport driving modes, while the F Sport Package adds a tighter suspension and available rear-wheel steering.

I could feel the F Sport Package's added undercarriage work on the road course, but it was much less apparent on those desert roads. I don't see much need for the F Sport Package ... unless you like the looks.

Braking is responsive and might be the best of any Lexus on the market, although that's not a ringing endorsement in itself. It falls between the aggressive braking of the 5 Series and the more lethargic Infiniti M sedan.

All-wheel drive is also available on the GS 350, but not on the hybrid.

The GS 350 is estimated to return mileage of 19/28 mpg city/highway. The city figure is unchanged from the outgoing model, but highway ratings are up 2 mpg. They're now identical to the BMW 535's figures and slightly ahead of the Infiniti M37's 18/26 mpg city/highway.

Exterior

Even though the new GS doesn't offer ultimate performance, Lexus may have found a way to sway shoppers who think they want sporty driving, but in fact just want to feel like they're in a sports car. It looks really cool.

Designed around the LF-Gh Concept, the real thing features an oddly shaped grille that Lexus calls a "spindle." It may look too aggressive in some pictures, but in person there's more elegance to it, especially when you're not looking at it head-on. The grille will be featured on all future models, according to Lexus.

A variety of colors look good, from the menacing black to a more sophisticated dark red. There are also unique dark aquamarine and brown shades that I found attractive.

LED running lights come standard, as do bi-xenon headlights. LED headlights are optional. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard, and 18s come on the Luxury Package or hybrid. The F Sport has 19-inch wheels with wider rear rims that Lexus says are the widest it's ever put on a sedan. It also has unique grille mesh.

Interior

If the outside draws shoppers in, the interior will wow them. I don't normally go gaga over interior design, especially in a Lexus, but the thin silver strip in the center of the dash where a CD is inserted -- does anyone still bring CDs into cars? -- sets the table.

The minimalist look doesn't continue to the doors and seats, where expensive-looking wood grains and stitched leather cover nearly every surface. The F Sport comes with a silver-colored grain that doesn't look like it could exist in nature, along with glossy piano-black finishes. Another option is a Bamboo trim package with a thick steering wheel with solid bamboo that replaces the standard leather-wrapped one. I didn't love the bamboo inserts on the dash, neither their vibrant yellow hue nor the feel of the wood.

Interior materials are on par with the Infiniti M, which I find quite luxurious for the price, and I didn't feel the Lexus was significantly behind the 5 Series or Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

The standard front seats have 10-way adjustments, and options add up to 18 adjustments, including side bolsters and lower and upper lumbar supports. All the seats I tried out were extremely comfortable. These seats aren't just for skinny drivers, either, with plenty of thigh support and nice wide seat bottoms and backs.

Overall, the sense of space in the GS is much greater than the previous model's despite the fact that most dimensions didn't change much. There's plenty of glass, visibility is good and the center console doesn't rise too high. My left knee did seem a little close to the door, but the dead pedal was well-placed, so I would probably keep my foot there instead of flat on the floor.

At 5-foot-10, I had plenty of backseat headroom and legroom with the driver's seat in my driving position, but, as in front, the door seemed pretty close, which can lead to a claustrophobic feeling. There's an oversized center armrest that, in the Luxury trim level, features rear climate control.

At 14.3 cubic feet, the trunk is much larger than the previous generation's 12.0 cubic feet. It's right in line with the 5 Series and Infiniti M, at 14 and 14.9 cubic feet, respectively. Lexus also repackaged the hybrid battery so it doesn't take up as much trunk space as the previous generation's; the hybrid now has a respectable 13.2 cubic feet.

None of the GS models has folding rear seats, though there is a pass-through behind the armrest for skis and other lengthy objects.

GS 450h Hybrid

I still don't believe hybrids are a good fit for a luxury model like this. While the Lexus CT 200h compact hatchback is a neat package, dropping a hybrid powertrain into a larger car like the GS yields mileage gains in a segment where shoppers don't worry as much about pain at the pump. Mileage is rated 39/34 mpg.

Luckily, the GS 450h feels fast. The hybrid system puts out more total power than the gas version, 338 total hp, and even with less torque (254 pounds feet) power comes on quickly. At high speeds, it aids in passing power and pushes you back in your seat harder than the standard drivetrain.

However, the continuously variable automatic transmission isn't as smooth as the 6-speed automatic. It allows for quicker acceleration but doesn't feel as natural when driving aggressively.

Braking is incredibly good, however, a complaint I often have in hybrid models. Most owners won't even notice the regenerative brakes.

The only exterior alterations to the hybrid are unique 18-inch wheels running on the same all-season tires as other GS models -- no low-rolling-resistance tires here. The tailpipes are hidden and point downward. There are small hybrid badges on the rear doors, and the L emblems on the grille and trunk are outlined in blue.

I don't know why anyone would opt for a hybrid GS with its higher sticker price, even with the mileage gains.

Features and pricing

Pricing hasn't been announced, but we expect the 2013 GS to be priced similarly to the outgoing model's starting price of $46,900. The Infiniti M37 starts at $47,700 and the BMW 535 starts at $52,250. Both those lines, however, feature other engine options that offer more choice for consumers, while the Lexus comes with just the V-6 and hybrid drivetrains.

The base GS with standard 17-inch wheels, dual climate control and an 8-inch navigation system might not be easy to find unless you order your car to suit; Lexus expects nearly all models to be sold with the optional 12.3-inch center LCD screen.

It's a stunning system that switches between the full-screen menu and a split-screen with 8 inches of navigation and 4.3 inches of system information. The left, 8-inch portion can also display music and apps, including Pandora internet radio and a Bing search feature.

The Bing search uses the internet and voice inputs to find destinations only, meaning you can say "Apple Store" and it will find the nearest Apple Store location, but it won't take you to apple.com via a web browser. Once you confirm the found destination is where you want to go, the Bing app seamlessly and quickly switches to the Lexus navigation screen. I've reviewed a lot of cars with navigation, and this is the most natural integration of voice-to-destination and routing I've seen.

Unfortunately, another stand-alone option, the 17-speaker Mark Levinson sound system, is less stellar. I've found only one application of the system -- in the RX SUV -- to be on par with other premium stereos on the market. My main beef is that it's designed to get the most out of high-end, 5.1 surround-sound music sources. To date, only DVD-audio discs can match this perfectly. My iPod -- the same one I test in every car -- sounded hollow, with only high-end, acoustic instruments resounding with clarity.

Traditional option packages start with the Premium Package, which adds rain-sensing wipers, heated and ventilated front seats, and a rear power sunshade.

The Luxury Package adds an adaptive variable suspension, higher-grade leather seating, adaptive headlights, 18-way front seats, rear climate control, 18-inch wheels and manual rear sunshades.

None of the option packages have been priced.

Safety

The GS comes with a healthy array of airbags, including driver and front passenger knee airbags. Rear passengers also get seat-mounted side airbags standard.

Safety features like pre-collision warning, a blind spot monitor and lane departure warning are optional, as is a new eye-scanning monitor that tracks when a driver's eyes are closing. Unfortunately, I couldn't test this feature because it works only at night and only activates if a collision is imminent. It turns the pre-collision warning system on 1.2 seconds earlier than it would for an alert driver. The device sits atop the steering column, where it blocked the odometer from my line of sight.

Lexus GS in the market

Lexus needs a hit, another model that leads its class -- like the RX SUV. They need to recover from a year of cataclysmic events they couldn't prevent and an aging lineup they should have turned over before now.

The GS is the tip of the brand's spear as it heads for a turnaround. As a stand-alone product, it's a winner. If it's truly a sign of things to come, it's even more significant.
Old 12-22-11, 06:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

so RX ML is the best ML ever? What do these idiots do in real newspapers? I am convinced he had to be someone's nephew to get that place.

It is really a good review, but once you read it you know it doesnt mean anything, since the guy is clueless...
Old 12-22-11, 06:37 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He hit on more points that he missed in my opinion so I can respect the overall review. Good review for a person neutral on Lexus to read.
Old 12-29-11, 02:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I finally saw the car in person today at San Diego International Autoshow. They only have one model there on display, GS450h. I did not get to sit inside, but I saw the interior and the large navi screen. The interior is awesome, I loved the navi screen. The front is very agressive looking. I cant wait to test drive it
Old 12-30-11, 09:46 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/30/2...-450h-w-video/
First Drive > 2013 Lexus GS 450h
Lexus' Best Compromise Yet

Ever since the Prius unexpectedly became the Xerox of hybrids and a greenie icon, Toyota has been trying to figure out how to apply the technology to its other models. Its results have been decidedly mixed, nowhere more so than with its luxury lineup. But with the 2013 Lexus GS 450h, Toyota thinks it has finally figured out what a hybrid luxury car should be.

From a sales perspective, the first-generation GS 450h was a disappointment. While we liked it quite a bit when we test-drove it a couple years ago, Lexus just hasn't been able to move the metal. Introduced to much fanfare in 2006 as a 2007 model, the GS was Lexus' second hybrid and the first rear-wheel-drive hybrid on the market. Lexus touted it as a performance sedan, even as Toyota was heavily marketing its hybrids as fuel sippers. Whether consumers were confused or not, they never took to the hybrid GS. Sales peaked at just below 1,800 in that first year and have gone down in each successive year. In 2010, Lexus sold barely 300 GS hybrids, roughly four percent of total GS sales, which were about 7,000.

The cognitive dissonance presented by Lexus hybrids has been an issue since the brand launched its first, the 2006 RX 400h SUV. Only marginally more powerful than the standard RX, its improvement in fuel economy was similarly slight at launch. The LS 600hL – the brand's halo car before the LFA sports car came along – is a six-figure, 20-mile-per-gallon hybrid marketed as having V12 performance with V8 fuel economy, the rough equivalent of ordering a Diet Coke with your Super Size Big Mac Extra Value Meal. The "Lexus Prius" HS 250h, with neither particularly good fuel economy (35 mpg combined) nor any sporting aspirations, has been a critical and sales disaster and is rumored to be on the chopping block. While Toyota's simple, "better mileage" definition of its hybrids is clear, Lexus has combined green machine and muscle car in varying doses, such that you never quite know what you'll be getting with a gas-electric Lexus.

While the new GS 450h continues to pay homage to two different masters, Lexus has, from the outset, done a better job at splitting the difference. With an entirely new V6 engine and revised hybrid system, the 2013 model has remarkably improved fuel economy, while sacrificing just a bit on the raw performance side. According to Lexus, the new model will be rated at 31 mpg combined (29/34 city/highway), an improvement of eight miles per gallon over the old 2011 model. Do the math and that's a 35-percent improvement, which seems like a pretty good tradeoff for less than half a second in 0-60 time. By Lexus' stopwatch, the 2013 GS 450h does 0-60 miles per hour in 5.6 seconds, compared to 5.2 seconds for the old GS hybrid.

The 2011 GS was offered with three engine choices: A 303-horsepower 3.5-liter V6, a 342-hp 4.6-liter V8, and a hybrid V6 with a combined output of 340 hp. Lexus has simplified all that in the 2013 redesign and now your choices boil down to hybrid or not, with the V8 gone. According to Lexus, nobody bought the V8-powered GS 460 anyway, and by its estimation, the new hybrid will serve well as the top-of-the-line model. The new hybrid V6, while still displacing 3.5 liters, has been redesigned to run on the Atkinson cycle, hence the improved fuel economy. Total system output is 338 hp, compared to the non-hybrid's 306.

The hybrid battery pack still uses nickel-metal hydride batteries, but they have been repackaged to give the GS hybrid more trunk space (13.2 cubic feet, up from 10.6 on the old model). Toyota has also upgraded the hybrid controller (it's now similar to the one found on the LS 600hL) for improved cooling and thus, greater efficiency. Maximum voltage is limited to 500 in eco mode, while peaking as high as 650 volts in Sport mode. And yes, there is a Sport mode in the 2013 GS 450h, just as in the standard GS. In fact, there's even a Sport-Plus mode in the hybrid, which stiffens up the shocks, as well as offers the more aggressive throttle response and tighter steering feel of the regular Sport mode. Putting the drive selector into Sport also pulls a nifty trick on the hybrid's power gauge, which as you can see in our Short Cut video below, magically turns into a tachometer, not unlike it does in the CT 200h. The GS hybrid also has a button-activated EV mode, just like Toyota's other hybrids, and a button for traversing slush and snow.

Thankfully, we drove the car in Southern California along with the standard GS 350, so we didn't need to press the latter, opting to leave the drive selector alone and stay in the same normal mode used for EPA testing for the majority of our time behind the wheel. During our short afternoon, we saw 29 miles per gallon during a 100-mile drive that included some rigorous right-pedal application and manual shifting of the car with its steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. The fuel economy was clearly the thing about the GS 450h that impressed us most, but the hybrid also benefits from all the styling, interior and chassis upgrades afforded the standard GS 350, as detailed in our First Drive. We're quite fond of the GS overall, and while we're not so sure we agree with Lexus' proclamation that the hybrid stands atop the model range – more like beside it – it is the only way to get the optional bamboo interior trim, which looks quite nice. And how else would you not-so-subtly let your passengers know that you care about the environment than to bedeck it with a sustainable plant?

Turning to matters of greater importance, our initial impression was that the GS 450h felt a lot heavier than the standard GS. Indeed, at 4,190 pounds there's nearly 400 more pounds of Lexus in the hybrid. When we did punch up the Sport-Plus mode to try and make the car feel smaller, it helped, but there was still no confusing the hybrid for the standard GS. Good thing most owners aren't going to have both cars parked side-by-side in their driveway.

But thanks to the almost-instant torque of the GS 450h's electric motors, the car can leap off the line with a good bit of aggression, though dead-stop acceleration in a hybrid is always going to feel different than it would in a V8. Smooth power delivery is the GS's forte, and the extra push of the electric motors at speed is blended with the torque of the engine as well as we've felt in a hybrid. The brakes, on the other hand, still feel like regenerative brakes. They bite like real brakes, but then the hybrid system's computer takes over the car's deceleration and your attempts at modulating them will go for naught. This is probably the biggest impediment towards making a hybrid sports sedan feel "right," and suffice it to say that Lexus has yet to find that magic.

But it has found the right trade-off between performance and fuel economy. While this "top-of-the-line" model isn't any faster than the GS 350, and given its weight penalty it's not the standard model's dynamic equal either, the GS 450h still seems more like what a hybrid Lexus should be. Lexus made a big deal at its introduction about the GS 350 being a "no compromises" sports sedan, but the irony here is that Toyota's engineers made a lot of good compromises to make the hybrid turn out this well.

Pricing of the GS 450h won't be announced until March 2012, ahead of an April release. Lexus is holding firm on the GS 350 at a base price of $46,900 (plus $875 handling), but there's no telling if it will do similarly with the hybrid. The outgoing GS 450h carried a hefty $12,050 price premium over the base GS, but did include a higher level of standard equipment. Lexus has some ambitious expectations for the hybrid GS, especially when you consider that it hasn't cracked four-digit sales since 2007. Lexus reps said they expect 10 percent of GS sales to be hybrids, which would put annual sales of the GS 450h at about 2,400. Yes, that's a projected 800 percent improvement.

But before we deride this as simply crazy talk, it's worth reflecting on the most recent hybrid to join the Lexus lineup, the 2011 CT 200h. The 42-mpg compact hatchback has far outpaced expectations, selling over 12,000 units through November. Its raison d'etre is to offer high mileage first, albeit wrapped in a sporty package. That the GS 450h is now following suit shows that perhaps Lexus has finally decided paying fealty to fuel economy makes as much sense for it as it does for Toyota.
Old 12-30-11, 11:48 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motor
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/30/2...-450h-w-video/
First Drive > 2013 Lexus GS 450h

The 2011 GS was offered with three engine choices: A 303-horsepower 3.5-liter V6, a 342-hp 4.6-liter V8, and a hybrid V6 with a combined output of 340 hp. Lexus has simplified all that in the 2013 redesign and now your choices boil down to hybrid or not, with the V8 gone. According to Lexus, nobody bought the V8-powered GS 460 anyway, and by its estimation, the new hybrid will serve well as the top-of-the-line model. The new hybrid V6, while still displacing 3.5 liters, has been redesigned to run on the Atkinson cycle, hence the improved fuel economy. Total system output is 338 hp, compared to the non-hybrid's 306.
From the tone of this I fear that Lexus still haven't figured out why nobody bought the V8-powered GS460.
But it has found the right trade-off between performance and fuel economy. While this "top-of-the-line" model isn't any faster than the GS 350, and given its weight penalty it's not the standard model's dynamic equal either, the GS 450h still seems more like what a hybrid Lexus should be. Lexus made a big deal at its introduction about the GS 350 being a "no compromises" sports sedan, but the irony here is that Toyota's engineers made a lot of good compromises to make the hybrid turn out this well.
I'm hoping either Lexus or some mag can highlight the mid-range acceleration advantage the GS450h has over the GS350 with some stats because without highlighting this it would indeed appear that you're paying a lot more than the GS350 to get the same performance, inferior handling and some fuel savings.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-30-11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
From the tone of this I fear that Lexus still haven't figured out why nobody bought the V8-powered GS460.I'm hoping either Lexus or some mag can highlight the mid-range acceleration advantage the GS450h has over the GS350 with some stats because without highlighting this it would indeed appear that you're paying a lot more than the GS350 to get the same performance, inferior handling and some fuel savings.
instant torque from the electric motors
Old 12-31-11, 08:34 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://youtu.be/vdNnHRIP0L0
Old 12-31-11, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Audio sources include satellite, aux-in, USB, Bluetooth and AM/FM. Standard is a Pioneer system, but optional is a Mark Levinson 17-speaker system. The guys over at Harman, Mark Levinson's overlord, were so confident in their system that they gave us a blind test where they compared the Lexus system and their own $70,000 hi-fi system. While we were pleasantly surprised by the sound quality during the demo, we aren't quite ready to say that the Lexus Levinson setup is indiscernible from their hi-fi system.

In the car, we found the premium sound system to recreate a wide range of frequencies and even difficult resonance tones. (Just listen to any Boards of Canada album and you'll hear what we mean.) One of the main reasons the sound is so good is because the GS is "Lexus quiet." The muted cabin sets up the listener with nothing but blissful sound no matter the genre.

Another source of audio is streaming Pandora. Using Enform with any Android or iOS smartphone, listeners can select and create stations right from Lexus' screen. Enform runs over a Bluetooth serial connection and doesn't require a physical connection like BMW connected or MyFord Touch. Apps are first downloaded on the phone, then played on the Enform system.

With the launch of the GS, Enform will gain two new apps to the suite: Facebook and Yelp. Now users can set their statuses and check into locations from their car. They can also find reviews on local businesses and even make reservations over the Open Table app. Having the entire app suite run wirelessly over Bluetooth is what we'd like to see more automakers include in their infotainment systems.

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...-screen-video/
Old 01-01-12, 01:22 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2013 Lexus GS has dramatic looks, fun gizmos

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Are you in the market for a new car? If you're looking for a sporty luxury sedan, there's no shortage of good choices.

One example is the new 2013 Lexus GS. It has dramatic looks and fun new gizmos, including apps that can be upgraded indefinitely.

The redesigned Lexus GS is the car that almost wasn't. For years, it lived in the shadows of not only its competitors in the market, but other Lexus models.

"The GS has struggled in the past," said Paul Williamson. "I think we've not quite delivered all of the package that customers in that segment wanted. So we've really made a huge effort with this new GS to really target the heart of the mid-luxury competitors."

When the decision was made to go ahead with a redesign, special attention was paid to styling. This includes a new grill that stands out and shows a new Lexus design theme.

The GS also moves forward under the hood, which means no more V-8. In a world increasingly looking toward more fuel efficiency, there are only six cylinders for the new sedan, although the 3.5-liter engine makes great sounds.

If you do want more power, you can opt for the V-6 hybrid model coming soon.

"There's no reason to build a V-8 when we've got a really effective hybrid power train giving us V-8-like performance, but fuel economy better than most of the six cylinders in this class," said Williamson.

Or there's the performance-themed F-Sport version with emphasis placed on cornering and braking. Inside, there's a new wide LCD display, allowing a full navigation screen and other information beside it like audio settings at the same time.

If you have the money to spend on a luxury sport sedan, there are so many choices in the segment from many different brands. So why would someone want to choose the Lexus, besides the fact that it's the newest?

For one thing, Lexus said it won't become dated from a technology standpoint, which is something that tends to bother luxury buyers

"We can't, we don't, update the car we drive nearly as often as we update the phone we carry in our pocket," said Williamson. "So we're offering a full suite of apps custom-designed for Lexus. These apps work on your smartphone, and the smartphone can make the car get smarter over time."

Technology, performance, and style are all traits that previous versions of the Lexus GS generally had, but they also had a certain degree of anonymity. This bold new version will try a little harder to stand out in a crowded and competitive field.

Link to Article including a very nice video review
Old 01-09-12, 05:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Review of new GS from Autobytel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqUaBYiJLs

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-09-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:01 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Australian review of the new GS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHhntBcBJOs

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-09-12 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:19 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Not in English but some nice driving shots of a beautiful red GS 450h F sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRtoUMVWV4I
Old 01-09-12, 10:51 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

This one is from an autoshow, there are millions like it but the intro video is what's new:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj7ikNaBqHM

Watch it in HD to fully enjoy a black GS F-sport in gleaming glory.
Old 01-11-12, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

VS: BMW 535i

As we said, the 5-Series will win a straight-line race. Its turbocharged powerplant just delivers too much torque for the Lexus to really compete. In fact, shown a set of curves, the 5-Series might still win. The thing is, the GS is easier to drive quickly, and for that reason, it would probably be our choice.

The GS feels more stable, especially when being pushed hard. At times, the 5-Series felt unruly, liable to step out of line with less provocation than the Lexus. Part of the problem was the nature of power delivery from the turbocharged six-cylinder, as hitting the gas too early on corner exit could cause stability problems.

VS: Mercedes-Benz E350

With the 5-Series, A6, and GS all getting significant redesigns, the E350 is now the old car in the range, and it shows. The cabin in the Benz just can’t stand up to the new Lexus. The materials don’t feel that great, and the infotainment systems are feeling at least a generation behind everyone else.

We’ll need an extended test of the GS to get a firm verdict on its luxury credentials (especially the ride around town), but based on our time with it, it is going to outshine the older E-Class.
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...content=WR77+4

Nice to read journalists stroking the GS350... and this was non-F-Sport version too. So no extra sport trickery, just genuinely great handler

Quick Reply: 4th Generation GS Reviews Thread