GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 04:03 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..

Okay, to start off i am not a pessimistic individual.. I am actually easily pleased but Toyota's conservativeness is seriously beginning to get to me.

The 4th-gen GS was my last hope for Lexus to catch up and prove to the world that they are not to be taken lightly. The new GS sounds very promising and looks stunning (minus the rear end which needs some getting used to IMO). Its interesting to know that it offers a great drive and handling, interior and options are beautiful and seem very well built and solid as usual...

HOWEVER.. I have always been a V8 enthusiast. What in the world possessed TMC to even consider dropping the V8-Variant? BMW and Mercedes offer great V8 competition and Lexus bailing out on us is just disappointing. We were expecting/anticipating an F-Variant with a possibility of a V10.. Now they say the stock V8 is to be discontinued?? Plenty of V8s offered today (2UR-FSE [IS-F] - 2UR-FE [LS600 Gas-Motor] - 1UR-FE [460 Motor] 3UR-FE [Toy/Lex Truck motors] which would fit perfectly and offer great performance if slightly tweaked or even left as is.. Why do they always have to offer the 'Green' Image' and impress government officials and tree huggers at the expense of disappointing their customers and fans.. I'm not against considering emissions but a V8 engine should be offered and even deemed a necessity by a large portion of potential customers interested in a 'Performance Luxury Sedan.' I am not wiling to pay North of $50k for a 6-cyl offering 306HP when i can have a 400+HP 550I BMW 'IF I REACH A LITTLE DEEPER IN MY POCKETS' (the option of a V8 is nice to have IMO).. I am and have been a Toyota fan to the bone for some time and have a complete lineup of Toyota/Lexus vehicles at the household but this seems like its going to change with Lexus' conservativeness. I understand that emission regulations are quite stringent at this day and age but since the competition have managed to pull it off, i don't see why Lexus shouldn't either. Infiniti dropped a whopping 5.6L V8 in their new M; How on earth will the GS350 or even 450H compete with the 425BHP that offers?

I just felt really upset when finding out and wanted to see if others shared my feeling on this subject. I hope Lexus listen and step it up a little; fixing one factor doesn't mean neglecting another (performance in this case). It's bad enough having limited power mods throughout the lineup thanks to an un-programmable ECU.. Now the V8 has been dropped? Let me see what they're gonna do when its time to offer the new LS.

Let the debate begin...

Last edited by I-FORCE; 08-19-11 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clearing of facts
Old 08-19-11, 04:09 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you find a 550i for $50K? (or same price as gs350) I would jump on that. I think they're leaving out the v8 for now (hybrid filling the void) so they can release the gs-f with a big v8 or v10 in a couple years.
Old 08-19-11, 04:11 PM
Johnnyz4
Driver

I thought They going to show off the GS-F at SEMA next month?
Old 08-19-11, 04:31 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

That's the F-sport, not GS-F.
Old 08-19-11, 04:31 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drewdogg80
Where can you find a 550i for $50K? (or same price as gs350) I would jump on that. I think they're leaving out the v8 for now (hybrid filling the void) so they can release the gs-f with a big v8 or v10 in a couple years.
No joke, 550i new for 50k, sign me up for 2!

And sales number do not lie, that is why no V8. The middle ground v8 is no use to them,, make higher MPG \ higher value to the customer v6 \ hybrids, screw the middle ground and if \ when they do a v8-v10, do it big.
Old 08-19-11, 04:47 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

they are obviously going to put the V8 in the GS-F coming out in a few months. WATCH THE RELEASE again.
Old 08-19-11, 05:04 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if they're going to push the boundaries on the hybrid performance market.

The current GS450h is faster than the all V8 GS variants Lexus offer(ed) in the past. Yes, it was faster than the GS460.

If Lexus offers a GSh variant with 400+ horsepower (or appropriate power/weight ratio - the new GS is remarkably light for a car in its class) that competes with the BMW 550i, I think that will be just fine.

GSh V6/hybrid CVT powertrain with 400+ horsepower to compete with the BMW 550i

GS-F with ~500 horsepower to compete with the M5

That's what I'm hoping to see in the next 5-10 years.
Old 08-19-11, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

550i for north of 50k, yes. but 550i for the price of the 4gs (gs350)? i highly highly doubt that. OP please do tell. i just can't imagine a reasonably loaded (or comparable) 550i for a market price of less than 60k at the very least

Originally Posted by Johnnyz4
I thought They going to show off the GS-F at SEMA next month?
they are going to show the gs f sport. NOT gsf. huge difference

Originally Posted by aypues
they are obviously going to put the V8 in the GS-F coming out in a few months. WATCH THE RELEASE again.
gsf release in a few months? i surely hope so, although i kind of doubt they will have the gsf ready that soon

Originally Posted by syzygy
I wonder if they're going to push the boundaries on the hybrid performance market.

The current GS450h is faster than the all V8 GS variants Lexus offer(ed) in the past. Yes, it was faster than the GS460.

If Lexus offers a GSh variant with 400+ horsepower (or appropriate power/weight ratio - the new GS is remarkably light for a car in its class) that competes with the BMW 550i, I think that will be just fine.

GSh V6/hybrid CVT powertrain with 400+ horsepower to compete with the BMW 550i

GS-F with ~500 horsepower to compete with the M5

That's what I'm hoping to see in the next 5-10 years.
it's possible and surely what i hope. the hybrid engine pushing 100hp, that's not impossible, with the current v6 it will make 400hp

but at the same time i think lexus said recently that the hybrid is going to more geared towards the fuel efficiency side. that's what puzzles me. if that's really the case, i am not sure if we will see a 400hp hybrid with better fuel economy than the current 450h. i would be tremendously excited to see that though, of course
Old 08-19-11, 05:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Look, if their intent is to come out with the GS-F, they don't need a 460 (it doesn't even sell that well), it is almost unnecessary. A hybrid makes much more sense, especially since we know the path Lexus is going down.

1) GS350
2) GS350 F-sport
3) GS hybrid
4) GS-F

So why are you disappointed?
Old 08-19-11, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Look, if their intent is to come out with the GS-F, they don't need a 460 (it doesn't even sell that well), it is almost unnecessary. A hybrid makes much more sense, especially since we know the path Lexus is going down.

1) GS350
2) GS350 F-sport
3) GS hybrid
4) GS-F

ONLY if the hybrid is going to perform like v8 competitors.
Old 08-19-11, 06:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
ONLY if the hybrid is going to perform like v8 competitors.
Yea but we already know Lexus doesn't really like to compete anyways, they like to do their own thing (heck, start trends!).

I trust that the GS hybrid that Lexus chooses to release will surprise us and make us proud of the brand regardless if it is high powered or high mpg.

So, in Lexus' case, it doesn't make sense for them to compete in the above-average v8 category so they dropped it out of the lineup, maybe they will put all of their effort to make the GShybrid and GS-F something we can't refuse.
Old 08-19-11, 06:41 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

LoL.. Many people interested in a 550i - I clearly stated NORTH of $50K because i was too lazy to research prices.. Not interested in a 550i and hope remain a Lexus man for life.

AYPEUS:- The GS-F was not brought up nor discussed in the Release.. They only spoke about the F-sport version which wont offer a huge performance advantage to the stock GS350 (atleast not enough to match a V8)

Regarding the GS-F...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11107223...---new-details

and i quote "Sadly, the rumored GS-F seems increasingly unlikely"

This; and the fact that TMC Executives have not spoken of a GS-F makes me believe that the concept has been dropped or was a rumor from the start.

Unfortunately, GSTAR summed it all up in a short statement "Lexus doesn't really like to compete" :'(

Hope this helps..

UPDATE:- Apologies for the misleading comment.. I just realized i had stated that i can acquire a 550I BMW FOR THE SAME PRICE. Must've been a mistype. Sorry

Last edited by I-FORCE; 08-19-11 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 06:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

^^
While you have that, I have this: apparently worldcarfans couldn't get an interview with Yoshihiko Kanamori.

Lexus GS chief engineer states they are working on the next F model but the v8 is out of question, a modified v10 is possible and hybrid is likely (sounds like preferred).

Guys, when the chief engineer says "our biggest weapon is hybrid" that shows confidence in the idea and when Lexus is confident, we are happy.

I just started an official GS-F thread here where you can get the full article and link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post6621733

Last edited by G Star; 08-19-11 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to agree with the OP. And I would not likely buy one. But I sure think they should offer one. I have two very close friends who have had, and currently do own some really nice cars in this class and a little higher. One of them currently owns two E Mercedes - a 550 coupe and 550 sedan. And his last car was a 550 BMW. The other guy owns a E550 coupe for his wife (and a supercharged XJ himself). And even though I own a GS350 now, my car a couple of years ago was an M45 Infiniti.

Point being that these V8s are very viable in the market place. But I don't want to pay a premium for a Hybrid that has too much weight and complexity. Heck, the the GS460 did not have the neutered 4.6 I would likely have sprung for it (meaning 380 hp instead of 340).

Hell, look at what the Genesis has for 2012 - 333, 385 and 429 hp and all with 8 speed transmissions.
Old 08-19-11, 07:25 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

1) GS350
2) GS350 F-sport
3) GS hybrid
4) GS-F

As I stated above, the 460 doesn't sell because some moron decided to neuter it.

Quick Reply: Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..