GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 08:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My expectation and requirement for a GS-F is 500 Horsepower minimum.

But you know what:
If Lexus uses that method that the parent company (Toyota) has used for the Toyota Tundra, then getting more than 500 hp shouldn't be a problem.

Here's the Tundra example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...D_supercharger

The 5.7 liter natural-aspirated engine produces 380 horsepower.............but when Toyota slapped it with a pair of Eaton Twin Vortex Superchargers, wapak! Additional 120 horsepower = 500 horses in an instant.

If for example, Lexus were to use the existing IS-F engine (2UR-FSE), then the 410 horsepower unit will receive additional 120 to get 530 hp.

That and with the GS-F aiming for relatively lower weight, it should make for a deadly combination.

More power (500 hp or more) + lesser weight = a force not to be underestimated with

Just saying
Old 03-02-12, 10:34 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin-turbo V6 Hybrid. You heard it here first.
Old 03-03-12, 11:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

It's not a matter if lexus is capable of doing it (ala LFA, power, losing $ on each one,.....)

It's a matter if lexus wants to do it
GS sales is doing pretty good so far-let's hope this will convince them

Originally Posted by gyung
Twin-turbo V6 Hybrid. You heard it here first.
We're going to hold you accountable for that
Old 03-03-12, 11:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I would prefer supercharger over turbocharger since turbo-lag is still present despite recent advances.

Another possible tech innovation is using small electric engines to power the front wheels for 4 wheel drive in low grip situations without the weight penalty of a mechanical AWD drivetrain.
Old 03-03-12, 03:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I would prefer supercharger over turbocharger since turbo-lag is still present despite recent advances.

Another possible tech innovation is using small electric engines to power the front wheels for 4 wheel drive in low grip situations without the weight penalty of a mechanical AWD drivetrain.
hybrid system will give you only 50hp extra, max. I think they need at least 80-100hp, and there is no way to recover that kind of electricity from brakes. of course, there is similar or bigger weight penalty... so I dont think GS-F should be anything but RWD.
Old 03-04-12, 04:37 PM
rocks
Driver

I am guessing if we don't see it in 2014 then it may not come to fruition. If they make it, I will be buying one for sure since it would fulfill all my car needs.
Old 03-06-12, 07:09 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
hybrid system will give you only 50hp extra, max. I think they need at least 80-100hp, and there is no way to recover that kind of electricity from brakes. of course, there is similar or bigger weight penalty... so I dont think GS-F should be anything but RWD.
Why do you think "only 50hp max"? Regenerative braking helps, but the bulk of the recharging is from the gas engine at this point, although they are looking at many additional ways to recharge while driving...solar, exhaust/engine heat, etc. Plus many variations on energy storage… even current “in wheel motors” can deliver 200+hp each, we just need to keep them fed.
Did you notice Toyotas recent electric racer setting new records at the Nurnberg ring? They are working on some interesting technology……
Old 03-06-12, 10:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
Why do you think "only 50hp max"? Regenerative braking helps, but the bulk of the recharging is from the gas engine at this point, although they are looking at many additional ways to recharge while driving...solar, exhaust/engine heat, etc. Plus many variations on energy storage… even current “in wheel motors” can deliver 200+hp each, we just need to keep them fed.
Did you notice Toyotas recent electric racer setting new records at the Nurnberg ring? They are working on some interesting technology……
spwolf is stuck on thinking cars exist today that was developed 10 years ago, GS450h, LS600hL............they only got 50 hp electric assist. He can't think what is possible now that comes out in 2015.
Old 03-26-12, 09:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

Ever since the new Lexus GS 350 made its debut last year, we’ve been a bit disappointed that it doesn’t come with a V8 and that the brand has announced no plans to do a high-performance version that would compete with the likes of the BMW M5 and the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. Well, that could change.

Speaking to AutoCar, Lexus’ product planning chief Karl Schlicht would ‘love to see’ the a high-performance GS to make it into production. The model, which would be known as the GS-F, has not yet been approved by Toyota management, but he is trying his best to get the thumbs up. We’re not sure why Toyota management wouldn’t approve such a vehicle since it would give the Lexus brand massive exposure, but there’s probably some reason.

“With a GS-F, we would have a solid pyramid structure of performance models,” said Schlicht.

Power wise the model could carry the Lexus LFA’s 4.8 liter engine, which would be detuned to produce around 500-hp.

Want Lexus to hear you? Make your voice heard in the comments section below or just mark your choice in the poll below.
Old 03-26-12, 10:47 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ Why is Toyota being so **** about GS-F?? lol they don't have any fun cars, so they want the small brother suffer too ? and I thought that Lexus was more independent, I guess not...
Old 03-26-12, 10:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I pray to god that the V10 won't make it, as I have to buy one if it becomes reality. I love the 4GS interior already, so far the boring drivetrain and exterior is keeping me uninterested.

A Japanese E60 M5!!
Old 03-26-12, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ Why is Toyota being so **** about GS-F?? lol they don't have any fun cars, so they want the small brother suffer too ? and I thought that Lexus was more independent, I guess not...
money talks, that's a lot of money for not much return (if at all)
Old 03-26-12, 12:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by itruns
how do you recharge the car via has engine while you are still accerating?

problem is not electric motors, they are already powerful as it is, but you cant recoup 150hp worth of energy... right now energy recuperation is already pretty advanced as it is.

and you cant compare what they do in F1 or very expensive race cars to real world technology.
Old 03-26-12, 07:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
money talks, that's a lot of money for not much return (if at all)
lets be honest here, GS-F is coming out, they are just making nice story for press.... bad bean counters did not allow it, but our engineers worked at nights for 2 years to bring you this awesome creation!! :-)
Old 03-26-12, 11:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lets be honest here, GS-F is coming out, they are just making nice story for press.... bad bean counters did not allow it, but our engineers worked at nights for 2 years to bring you this awesome creation!! :-)

That's how I figure it

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion