GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lets be honest here, GS-F is coming out, they are just making nice story for press.... bad bean counters did not allow it, but our engineers worked at nights for 2 years to bring you this awesome creation!! :-)
if that then i say it's stupid marketing
Old 03-27-12, 05:12 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
That's how I figure it
I second that!
Old 03-27-12, 05:17 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lets be honest here, GS-F is coming out, they are just making nice story for press.... bad bean counters did not allow it, but our engineers worked at nights for 2 years to bring you this awesome creation!! :-)
Yeah, I would be shocked if it doesn't make it to production. Clearly Lexus has committed to a more sporting path and the GSF is part of that journey.
Old 03-27-12, 08:09 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the V-10 can make it if its reworked to have more torque and they spread it out over the GS-F, whatever the LF-LC turns into, and the next gen LS-F(if it even comes). Otherwise, they should keep it cheaper and use the V8 from the IS-F, bump it up through forced induction or whatever and spread it throughout the afore mentioned models.
Old 03-27-12, 08:48 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I only have one wish : That they transplant the magical steering that Toyota developed in the FT86/BRZ/Scion FRS into the new GS-F and that it trickles down to the GS350.
Old 03-27-12, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
I think the V-10 can make it if its reworked to have more torque and they spread it out over the GS-F, whatever the LF-LC turns into, and the next gen LS-F(if it even comes). Otherwise, they should keep it cheaper and use the V8 from the IS-F, bump it up through forced induction or whatever and spread it throughout the afore mentioned models.
i give that almost zero chance of happening. engine's too costly, fuel economy will be bad in heavier vehicles, and roi isn't there.
Old 03-27-12, 10:08 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i give that almost zero chance of happening. engine's too costly, fuel economy will be bad in heavier vehicles, and roi isn't there.
I think that the LFA's V10 engine is costly only because it's currently made in extremely limited quantities. BMW for example made a business case for a dedicated (and hand-built) V10 to work in the $87k E60 M5. In fact BMW has so far resisted to make a supercar because they want every car they make to make money.

As for poor fuel economy/CO2 emissions, yeah that's a much bigger problem and probably the real reason why we might never see the V10 in another Lexus.
Old 03-27-12, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think that the LFA's V10 engine is costly only because it's currently made in extremely limited quantities. BMW for example made a business case for a dedicated (and hand-built) V10 to work in the $87k E60 M5. In fact BMW has so far resisted to make a supercar because they want every car they make to make money.

As for poor fuel economy/CO2 emissions, yeah that's a much bigger problem and probably the real reason why we might never see the V10 in another Lexus.
i am not sure. you need to look at the materials (including titanium) used in the lfa v10 and it's just going to be way too costly for a 90k car. this is on top of the specific low design of the engine for the lfa couple with a few other elements including the rev / tq. all those on the gs chassis won't make it a favorable design i think.

fuel economy wise the lfa engine isn't bad at all. i think it's rated 14/20 or so? it's already pretty good for what it's delivering imho (again on the lfa)
Old 03-27-12, 12:45 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure. you need to look at the materials (including titanium) used in the lfa v10 and it's just going to be way too costly for a 90k car. this is on top of the specific low design of the engine for the lfa couple with a few other elements including the rev / tq. all those on the gs chassis won't make it a favorable design i think.

fuel economy wise the lfa engine isn't bad at all. i think it's rated 14/20 or so? it's already pretty good for what it's delivering imho (again on the lfa)
Hmm surely there must be a way to detune/cost-down the engine by replacing some of the more exotic parts with the more attainable ones? But yeah then the end result might be no better than the 500hp/8300rpm-redline V10 in the M5 and loses all the characteristics that make the LFA so special, and will make the GS-F look a whole generation behind the M5.

The LFA is officially rated by EPA at 11 city/16 highway/12 combined, pretty bad especially given the car's relatively light weight. The 14/20 figure was an early optimistic estimate.

Last edited by ydooby; 03-27-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 12:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A v10 would be wonderful but not necessary. A properly tuned v8 would be sufficient to do the job. I'm not greedy, somewhere around 450hp would be enough to float my boat. If needed, a v8 with a supercharger would bring it to around 500hp. Forced induction has gained a lot of popularity these days and the reliability has really improved.
Old 03-27-12, 05:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Yeah, I would be shocked if it doesn't make it to production. Clearly Lexus has committed to a more sporting path and the GSF is part of that journey.
The question is though, how sporty Lexus want to go? Toyota is an extremely conservative company.

The F-Sport might be the most they want to go, is hard to say until it happens.
Old 03-27-12, 05:41 PM
rocks
Driver

Lexus can either supercharge the ISF motor or chop two cylinders off the LFA motor; akin to what BMW did with the E92M3 which was basically the E60 motor minus two cylinders. As a poster mentioned above; 450hp would also fulfill my needs and I am certain Lexus can tuned the ISF motor to safely extract that.
Old 03-27-12, 05:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby

I agreed with you completely there. There are a few more examples too, like the V10 that Audi put in the S6, RS6, S8, R8 and Gallardo, the AMG 6.2L NA V8 in all the 63 cars and trucks and the SLS, and the AMG supercharged 5.5L V8 in all the AMG 55 cars and trucks and in the SLR.

They are all the same families of engine, just with different level of exotic materials and features to vary the cost. Like how the exotic version have dry sump and exotic header........etc.

I am with you on the poor fuel economy/CO2 emissions too, that is a much bigger problem now a days. Everyone is down sizing their cylinder count.
Old 03-27-12, 05:48 PM
LexFather

The media really needs to stop this "LFA engine going in the GS" crap b/c that is what it is crap. The engine costs as much as a potential GS F. The engine is bespoke, for the LFA only and the 500 lucky owners. Just b/c Lamborghini and Audi shared a V-10 in their cars and sedans doesn't mean the same will be applied here.

It is CLEAR Lexus needs a new engine to put in multiple vehicles just as the Germans are doing in their high performance cars and SUVs. They are putting the same engine in these cars and now sharing them in the non AMG/M etc cars as well in some cases.

Lexus F enthusiasts have two big things going agains it.

1. Concern with fuel economy/green (The IS F is the only car in class with no gas guzzler fee, something the media largely ignores but is a huge MPG/Company victory)
2. Reliability (Toyota clearly proved with the SUpra they can do turbos and reliability with hardly any issues)

That is why the 5.0 is detuned to only 416hp and has a redline of only 6600 or so.

I am hoping the new wave of enthusiasm brings a new engine to Lexus, something high revving reliable boosted or not.

NOW on to MORE SPECULATION

There have been two pretty solid sources saying the LF-LC would be a hybrid producing around 500hp. So it is possible that Lexus/TOyota are toying with producing a F hybrid? We have seen them race hybrids and test them. Porsche and others are toying with KERS type systems as well. The main penalty is weight though.

Another thought if the GS weighs significantly less than the competition, while down on power it can possibly be the best driving vehicle in class. I'm talking at least 500lbs less

All in all, I am hoping
1. Lexus brings back a V-8 GS
2. Lexus brings us a GS F

Old 03-27-12, 07:14 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Y'all talking about me again?

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion