GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 09:38 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
There is definitely room under the hood for a larger engine. Although, seeing as how the 4GS almost didn't make production, I find it very hard to believe a GS-F will make it, unless the 4GS blows sales forecasts out of the water (which it is not).
Hey, how did the 4GS almost not make production? Was it going to be delayed, or cancelled?

I can't see how Lexus could possibly cancel it. It would be admitting defeat in the segment, and hurt the Lexus brand in general. Cancelling the HS might make sense, but to compete Lexus needs an IS (in sedan, coupe (I can't believe they still haven't done this) and convertible form), a GS, and an LS. The SUVs are nice, but really don't define Lexus' position in the market (although they are cash cows). The lack of a higher end coupe also hurts.

Pretty soon a 4-door sports coupe may also be required to compete in this segment. .
Old 08-08-12, 10:13 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

There was an article a while back that basically said Toyoda said they either go all in on the GS, or not at all.
Old 08-08-12, 10:18 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey, how did the 4GS almost not make production? Was it going to be delayed, or cancelled?

I can't see how Lexus could possibly cancel it. It would be admitting defeat in the segment, and hurt the Lexus brand in general. Cancelling the HS might make sense, but to compete Lexus needs an IS (in sedan, coupe (I can't believe they still haven't done this) and convertible form), a GS, and an LS. The SUVs are nice, but really don't define Lexus' position in the market (although they are cash cows). The lack of a higher end coupe also hurts.

Pretty soon a 4-door sports coupe may also be required to compete in this segment. .
it was going to be cancelled,,, there was supposed to be no more GS.
Old 08-08-12, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ghlight=cancel
Old 08-08-12, 10:30 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
it was going to be cancelled,,, there was supposed to be no more GS.
Interesting. Maybe that fear kicked the engineering team into high gear. Without it maybe we wouldn't have as great a car?
Old 08-08-12, 11:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Sure, or you can marry a woman who loves cars (not the one who just recognize the badges) as much as you do, though it can become an expensive habit
I have seen the pros and cons on both sides, I prefer women who are clueless about cars. It is only cool to have a wife that loves cool car if the married couple have huge amount of money to spend on cars, most don't, then it is always fighting who get to drive the nicer car. And up to a certain point, if money is limited, she is going to complain about how much the man spend on cars anyway, even if she loves it. Most women, even the ones who loves car, prefer to spend the money on the house then the car.
Old 08-09-12, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
They have been saying that for a few years now.................

I hope it doesn't come out too, because I would want it. I am really glad the V10 is definitely not making it, because I would sell everything and buy one immidiately

No offence to your fine car, but is 100% true that a GS350 F-Sport is inadequately equipped (powertrain wise) for 2013, where a $47k Hyundai Genesis R-Spec is rocking a 430 hp 5.0L V8, a 300 hp V6 in a $70k Lexus is not cutting it. That V6 was great in 2006 in a $45k IS350, but not in a $70k GS in 2013. Even the lesser $65k Infiniti M56 got 420 hp a few years ago.

A 500 hp GS-F is really just on par with everything else, nothing crazy either. All midsize luxury high performance sedan are 500+ hp starting from a few years ago, they are all pushing 600 hp now.
I don't understand you starting a thread about a hypothetical BMW M7 then beating up a hypothetical GS F

Whats hilarious is while Hyundai is a great company now, their cars are not sporty and drive like Toyotas yet don't get beat up like Toyota's. The R-spec is a fine engine in a chassis that seems to be pretty horrid for a sports sedan with a badge. Notice it hasn't been included in comparos and there isn't much talk about it. Maybe b/c even with 429hp and a low price, its more an old school American muscle car than a fine luxury sports sedan.

Even with over 120hp I assume the only advantage of the R-spec over a GS F-sport is the straight-aways as it would get killed in corners. So depending on track configuration it would be very interesting.

We all wish a V-8 was in the GS with around 400hp but its not. What seems more likely is the GS F with around 500hp. Now I don't know about you guys but driving/riding in 500hp cars can simply be scary on regular roads. It is by FAR more than enough power and anything past that is **** measuring which is fine too If a GS F can be lightest in class with "only 500hp" it might do well. The IS F debuted 4hp under the RS4 and 30+ hp under the C63 and still did amazing in comparisons.

Peak HP is not everything.

Old 08-09-12, 10:30 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I am an enthusiast, I am up in the air about a GS-F. I think right now it is just not suitable to their clientele and probably waste resources. I believe what Lexus need s to do is: A) Build up the current F Sports to further distinguish them from the base and Luxury models. They should offer at least a 350hp engine with an 8sp auto to add to that "sport" moniker. They are not even pushing the F Sports enough to warrant a GS-F. With maybe 1 to 4 on any dealer lot here in the NE, they are not getting enough recognition to push a "Sport" line. B) Make a coupe. I think their can be no talk about a GS-F without one. C) Start catering those sport cars to the younger buyers who will buy sports cars......bolder colors, kit options, less chrome.

It's just that right now, with what they are offering and their current clientele, a GS-F would be dead in the water with Lexus current marketing and offerings. They can't just build a GS-F.... they have to build up to offering one.
Old 08-09-12, 11:05 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixman
Even though I am an enthusiast, I am up in the air about a GS-F. I think right now it is just not suitable to their clientele and probably waste resources. I believe what Lexus need s to do is: A) Build up the current F Sports to further distinguish them from the base and Luxury models. They should offer at least a 350hp engine with an 8sp auto to add to that "sport" moniker. They are not even pushing the F Sports enough to warrant a GS-F. With maybe 1 to 4 on any dealer lot here in the NE, they are not getting enough recognition to push a "Sport" line. B) Make a coupe. I think their can be no talk about a GS-F without one. C) Start catering those sport cars to the younger buyers who will buy sports cars......bolder colors, kit options, less chrome.

It's just that right now, with what they are offering and their current clientele, a GS-F would be dead in the water with Lexus current marketing and offerings. They can't just build a GS-F.... they have to build up to offering one.
As much as we would all like to see more F performance models like the IS F, we must remember (I say that respectfully) that Toyota is running a business, and therefore placed a lower value on enthusiasts as customers. Being very shrewd, Toyota management has focused on the bread and butter vehicles: ES and RX far outsell other models and represent a huge part of revenue, as well as fatter profit margins. As a shareholder this pleases me. As a DRIVER it's rather depressing - I know y'all agree. There is a light at the end of the tunnel: Numerous articles have stated (and been linked here in CL) that Akido Toyoda is putting his imprint on Lexus. As an avid racer and car nut, he wants to inject more performance into Toyota and Lexus. The FT-86 and GS F Sport are among the first signs of his influence. I want to believe that there's more to come - The 4GS is just begging for more power. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 08-09-12, 11:43 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I’ve been told by my salesmen that there is a GS-F coming out and that I should wait for that to come before I purchase the New Hybrid. He said that there have been talks about a M5, E63 AMG contender but Lexus does not have the faith that the GS-F will sell. Not sure I fully believed my salesmen only because I have heard this numerous times, but the same answer has been to wait because it’s coming. I would think Lexus would have more faith in sales when BMW, Mercedes, Audi owners are coming to Lexus for the GS. My view is there really isn’t enough substantial information that the GS-F is coming out, it’s kind of like Apple everyone would like something like this and will post pictures of a mock up but it’s never true until Apple says it is. Same goes for Lexus I think.
Old 08-09-12, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whats hilarious is while Hyundai is a great company now, their cars are not sporty and drive like Toyotas yet don't get beat up like Toyota's.
it's about expectations combined with marketing. i've not seen any 'sporty' hyundai advertising for their genesis/equus at all, but of course lexus is now doing almost all their advertising showing slaloms, high speed cornering, getaway chases, etc. plus, few expect hyundai to be remotely competitive with, say, bmw, but lexus has pretty much declared they are and want to be considered that way.

it's all good for the consumer though!
Old 08-09-12, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's about expectations combined with marketing. i've not seen any 'sporty' hyundai advertising for their genesis/equus at all, but of course lexus is now doing almost all their advertising showing slaloms, high speed cornering, getaway chases, etc. plus, few expect hyundai to be remotely competitive with, say, bmw, but lexus has pretty much declared they are and want to be considered that way.

it's all good for the consumer though!
What I'm saying is Toyota for years got beat up for driving like appliances, Hyundai drives just as boring if not worse and there is no chatter of it. Hell the Elantra lost its sophisticated suspension to a cheap beam suspension. Again the R-spec might have 429hp but it handles average at best, hasn't taken the world by storm like say the GS 400/540 back in 1998 and it gets its pass.

Contrarily Lexus got beat the hell up in the past with the GS for "gasp" driving like a current 5 series or E class. Now the GS is the best driving car in class and its awfully quiet.

Its just funny, thats all.

Old 08-10-12, 12:27 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The IS F debuted 4hp under the RS4 and 30+ hp under the C63 and still did amazing in comparisons.
Interestingly enough, the ISF was able to match the power output levels of the M3 though so for a first-time attempt, Lexus definitely deserved credit for that one.

And in a way though, I guess in that way, since we saw that the ISF matched (or at very least stayed as close as possible to) whatever performance attributes the M3 had, we now have this expectation that Lexus would do the same for the rest of the cars in its "F" division lineup.

Still, with that said, I do hope that a V8 engine will make its way into this 4th generation GS (and hopefully a GSF version will come out of it).

Minimum 500 horsepower would do extremely well.........combined with lighter body weight. Once that happens, then Lexus can have something to compete with the likes of the M5, RS6, Jaguar XFR , E63 AMG and so on.

Lexus, please make my dream a reality hehe
Old 08-10-12, 05:28 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've said this before... If Lexus cares about the F brand they NEED to make a GSF.

One car (ISF) cannot be the whole F brand! (Not counting the LFA)

They also need an IS and GS coupe - and Make F versions of those.

CTF w/ AWD would also be nice

Lexu should just F em all (Pun intended)
Old 08-14-12, 06:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I've said this before... If Lexus cares about the F brand they NEED to make a GSF.

One car (ISF) cannot be the whole F brand! (Not counting the LFA)

They also need an IS and GS coupe - and Make F versions of those.

CTF w/ AWD would also be nice

Lexu should just F em all (Pun intended)
You sir speak truth

Lexus, please give us a "500 HORSEPOWER (minimum) Lexus GS-F"!!!

VROOM VROOM to the max baby

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion