GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 09:37 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the v10 is in sight of the future gs-f. Lexus would never recreate an engine from the lfa for a different vehicle. At least not for another decade I would think. I just don't see it plausible. if Lexus is really working on turbo charging technology then it can be possible to see either a really nice v6tt or a modest v8tt. Just my thoughts as for what might be coming. There is still a small margin that they can make a larger displacement version of the isf's engine but I don't think Lexus would take that challenge and risk the fuel economy numbers.
Old 08-23-11, 02:19 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe Solution for the GS-F engine is to have a V8 Hybrid motor producing a V10 power output there problem solved for Lexus GS-F.
Old 08-23-11, 05:02 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GSF is the perfect car to replace the GS400.

Plz make it V8 even tho I kno a V8 isn't the most efficient now I still want one lol.
Old 08-23-11, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DOC4LEX
THe Solution for the GS-F engine is to have a V8 Hybrid motor producing a V10 power output there problem solved for Lexus GS-F.
that makes my decision easy then to decide against gsf
Old 08-23-11, 09:08 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were a V8 hybrid, it would most likely have the CVT which will ruin everything.
Old 08-23-11, 10:29 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
that makes my decision easy then to decide against gsf
same here.... if they want to do a hybrid gs-f thats fine to take it to production as long as they come strong with the non-hybrid as well
Old 08-23-11, 11:21 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with a hybrid? Ferrari will have one as well. Porsche has one. F1 cars are basically 'hybrids' so who says they can't be fun? If you have a V8, you'd have the power from that to offset anything some batteries would add to weight. If it's sound you're worried about there's ways around that as well. If it's weight you're worried about, there's different materials. If it's something else like being called a hybrid, well I donno what to tell ya. But if any company can make a hybrid cool, I bet Toyota could do it. Just think if they say 550hp hybrid GS-F. 450hp from a V8 with a cool 100hp bump from a different type of hybrid power. You'll still have the V8 sound and power. And with intelligent packing the weight could be kept down also.
Old 08-23-11, 11:57 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

hybrid, when it comes to this type of car, just simply do not want it

can care less ferrari has one as well, if they want to spend the time and money on something give me a high rev gas engine and driving experience that makes me want to wake up early to go for a drive

yeah I want refined gt3 in a sedan with lexus quality pretty much, keep the tech, weight and over crap for something else.

simple, refined, high power, high rev daily driver
Old 08-23-11, 12:02 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

reading my own post, that is pretty much what the e60 was and sad the f10 drops down to 7200, not all that high but if the throttle response is quick the TT v8 much like what benz is doing will do
Old 08-23-11, 02:36 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TF109B
What's wrong with a hybrid? Ferrari will have one as well. Porsche has one. F1 cars are basically 'hybrids' so who says they can't be fun? If you have a V8, you'd have the power from that to offset anything some batteries would add to weight. If it's sound you're worried about there's ways around that as well. If it's weight you're worried about, there's different materials. If it's something else like being called a hybrid, well I donno what to tell ya. But if any company can make a hybrid cool, I bet Toyota could do it. Just think if they say 550hp hybrid GS-F. 450hp from a V8 with a cool 100hp bump from a different type of hybrid power. You'll still have the V8 sound and power. And with intelligent packing the weight could be kept down also.
Porsches hybrid is a piece of ****. The PanameraS runs circles around it and the Panamera S only has 400hp.

The problem with Hybrids is they add little power and a lot of weight. The LS600h is a great example - it's slower than the LS460 on 0-60.
Old 08-23-11, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Porsches hybrid is a piece of ****. The PanameraS runs circles around it and the Panamera S only has 400hp.

The problem with Hybrids is they add little power and a lot of weight. The LS600h is a great example - it's slower than the LS460 on 0-60.
to be fair i think it all depends on the tuning. ls600 vs ls460 is a bad example because lexus detuned the v8 for better gas mileage and ride quality. the ls600hl is noticeably smoother and quieter. if they never detune the v8, the hybrid is pure added power (and weight)
Old 08-23-11, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be fair i think it all depends on the tuning. ls600 vs ls460 is a bad example because lexus detuned the v8 for better gas mileage and ride quality. the ls600hl is noticeably smoother and quieter. if they never detune the v8, the hybrid is pure added power (and weight)
not so much weight anymore with both GS450h and Camry Hybrid losing significant weight.
Old 08-23-11, 05:28 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's true. If they can keep weight down, it'd be a good combo. Though the 'hybrid' name seems like it's the turn off here.
Old 08-23-11, 05:45 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
That's true. If they can keep weight down, it'd be a good combo. Though the 'hybrid' name seems like it's the turn off here.
If they can keep the weight down? Yeah, like if they can build a hybrid without batteries. And let's not forget trunk space and added cost.

I know hybrids are progressing, but like others I'm not interested yet. As some have said, it's not just about the speed, it's the full driving experience that is why most people buy performance variants. To your last sentence, the reason the hybrid name is a turn off is because of current experience. There simply isn't an affordable car that can truly claim a complete performance experience with a hybrid. I think in ten years they will get there though.
Old 08-23-11, 08:20 PM
LexFather

That's b/c people see the word "hybrid' and have negative thoughts automatically. Not all hybrids are alike. Its simply a different "turbo" system if you will. We are talking instant torque and the ability to pass more stringent MPG goals.

I mean currently the IS F is the only super sedan in its class to not get a gas guzzler.

The LS 600h L makes 438hp...say with a tuned system it could make 500hp, in a GS F that weighs 4000lbs and gets 25% better MPG than a traditional turbo? Whats not to like? The word "hybrid"???

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion