GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 12:10 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

BMW need to make their M5 hybrid, then the whole world will love Lexus hybrid GS-F. Until then, it's either V8 or V10
Old 08-24-11, 12:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I have no problem with hybrids , the only 3GS I would even consider is the GS450h actually , and the 4GS450h should be very cool too, just don't try to pass it off as a legitimate 400hp+V8 replacement to compete with the other V8's in it's class. A hybrid GS-F will be a total disappointment to me.
They should concentrate on using hybrid tech on cars like RX400h, even a GS400h and a LS400h are all fine with me, but please, build a proper 500hp+ GS-F or none at all ...
Old 08-24-11, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's just funny reading JP's, andrew's, and my replies regarding hybrid and gsf i love you guys
Old 08-24-11, 01:59 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
it's just funny reading JP's, andrew's, and my replies regarding hybrid and gsf i love you guys
Lexus, its pretty clear what you need to do to get our money
Old 08-24-11, 11:10 PM
LexFather

Guys I hear you and I am not here defending the hybrid and all its glory. I (we lol, all 2 of us) am just assessing where Lexus is going and how will they make more power. the IS F makes 416hp far below the C63 and CTS-V but on par with the M3 which will gain turbos. Without some sort of forced induction or hybrid power, unless Lexus goes the GM 7.0 liter V-8 route where will this extra power come from?

These companies also have to worry about CAFE standards. I ENDORSE these gas guzzlers, I agree that they are wonderful and adding a hybrid powertrain to a Lexus version doesn't sound sexy but it might be a way to harness the power.

Porsche is racing with its hybrid system and its doing fantastic, hell the 918 will be a $750,000 hybrid.

Me thinks if PORSCHE does it, it will be fine and they will be seen as a leader. Lexus on the other hand, not so much.

I would love to see a 500hp V-8 or whatever GS F but if it is a hybrid, I welcome that too and the additional MPG savings.

Also to the poster who talked about the CVT, agreed, it isn't "sexy" for a performance car.

Old 08-25-11, 04:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys I hear you and I am not here defending the hybrid and all its glory. I (we lol, all 2 of us) am just assessing where Lexus is going and how will they make more power. the IS F makes 416hp far below the C63 and CTS-V but on par with the M3 which will gain turbos. Without some sort of forced induction or hybrid power, unless Lexus goes the GM 7.0 liter V-8 route where will this extra power come from?

These companies also have to worry about CAFE standards. I ENDORSE these gas guzzlers, I agree that they are wonderful and adding a hybrid powertrain to a Lexus version doesn't sound sexy but it might be a way to harness the power.

Porsche is racing with its hybrid system and its doing fantastic, hell the 918 will be a $750,000 hybrid.

Me thinks if PORSCHE does it, it will be fine and they will be seen as a leader. Lexus on the other hand, not so much.

I would love to see a 500hp V-8 or whatever GS F but if it is a hybrid, I welcome that too and the additional MPG savings.

Also to the poster who talked about the CVT, agreed, it isn't "sexy" for a performance car.
if BMW came out with 545h, with same specs and GS450h, we would hear uproar on all the forums, all hail the great king.

Just like 99% of people on forums didnt mind M3 moving to turbo 6... but imagine if IS-F was turbo 6 in 2009? ha! No way, Jose!
Old 08-25-11, 07:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

They would need to add artificial engine sound to a hybrid GS-F, just simulate the LFA sound, that would make it Real Sexy !!!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1117091633.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdySZK5GEA
Old 08-25-11, 09:29 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Even though I didn't agreed with you on a few subjects recently, I agreed with you 100% on this. The power have to come from somewhere, so far it is either turbos or electric assist. No one is adding displacement because of the CAFE standard.

Since Lexus/Toyota is the leader on electric hybrid, using electric assist as a power adder on all their future cars is very likely.

Even Ferrari is going electric assist hybrid.

I think all cars will slowly gain some kind of electric assist before all cars become fully electric eventually, but it will take a very long time. Internal combustion engines are slowly being phase out. Maybe I shouldn't say "all", I think 50 years from now, only exotic sports cars will have an internal combustion engine, everything else are fully electric. Like Ferrari announced last week, they will never make a full electric car, but they are working full speed on electric assist hybrid and will have them soon. It aren't an exotic sports car if it doesn't have that engine scream.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-25-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 09:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They would need to add artificial engine sound to a hybrid GS-F, just simulate the LFA sound, that would make it Real Sexy !!!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1117091633.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdySZK5GEA
LOL...I want it to sound like a big mature goat

Originally Posted by BNR34
Even though I didn't agreed with you on a few subjects recently, I agreed with you 100% on this. The power have to come from somewhere, so far it is either turbos or electric assist. No one is adding displacement because of the CAFE standard.

Since Lexus/Toyota is the leader on electric hybrid, using electric assist as a power adder on all their future cars is very likely.

I think all cars will slowly gain some kind of electric assist before all cars become fully electric eventually, but it will take a very long time. Internal combustion engines are slowly being phase out. Maybe I shouldn't say "all", I think 50 years from now, only exotic sports cars will have an internal combustion engine, everything else are fully electric. Like Ferrari announced last week, they will never make a full electric car, but they are working full speed on electric assist hybrid and will have them soon. It aren't an exotic sports car if it doesn't have that engine scream.
And to be honest I agree, until recently my views aligned with yours many times. Thanks for the honesty and great post, forgot Ferrari is also moving to hybrids.

Old 08-25-11, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

you bring up essentially what me and few others said. it's a form of power, and in due time i do think it will be one of the main ways. but to me at least, the time is not now, yet. i do think another 5-8 yrs we will see something of a huge leap
Old 08-25-11, 10:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

And to be honest I agree, until recently my views aligned with yours many times. Thanks for the honesty and great post, forgot Ferrari is also moving to hybrids.
We just didn't agreed on a few personal preferences issue and you didn't like me pointing out anything negatives regarding Lexus. I am learning now, I only point out positives Nobody likes hearing negatives.
Old 08-25-11, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

haven't read whole thread so sorry if this is already discussed, but first post has quotes from the GS engineer about 'the next F model' but he doesn't say it will be a GS-F, does he?
Old 08-25-11, 10:23 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
you bring up essentially what me and few others said. it's a form of power, and in due time i do think it will be one of the main ways. but to me at least, the time is not now, yet. i do think another 5-8 yrs we will see something of a huge leap
It is a form of power without any negative effects on MPG and emissions.

I never want it to come, I love gas guzzler But I think all companies are trying to implement it now, when you see Porsche and Ferrari is doing it, it is here, they are always the slowest on putting lame stuff on their cars. Lexus was the 1st with the performance hybrid..........450h and 600h, very successful I would add.

My personal feeling is the upcoming GS-F might not need electric assist to achieve it's target power, I think the current engine in the IS-F is detuned, unrestricting it to 465hp might just be enough for Lexus's goal for the car. But of course if they add electric power to give it a total of 500 hp or more, would be awesome.
Old 08-25-11, 10:28 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haven't read whole thread so sorry if this is already discussed, but first post has quotes from the GS engineer about 'the next F model' but he doesn't say it will be a GS-F, does he?
What else can it be? Unless he meant the next generation IS-F. GS-F is the closest F model that might come out next. And he is the GS engineer.........although IS and GS is basically the same car.

LS-F? ES-F? RX-F? SC-F? None of those are remotely coming out anytime soon.

I would love to see a SC-F And please don't bother making a CT-F or HS-F

Is like AMG is working on the A-Class, why? Please make it stop

I guess in today's world where an Aston Martin Cygnet exist, anything lame is possible.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-25-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 10:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An HS-F is not needed.

In fact
I may sound harsh on this but Lexus should just kill the HS. It's not doing any good for the brand.

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion