GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS Steering wheel, leather option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 03:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Hoping for wood too. Like the look and feel.
Old 08-26-11, 06:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Hoping for wood too. Like the look and feel.
lol ***snckers***

[/juvenilemoment]
Old 08-26-11, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

i hate wood steering wheel. don't want different textures when turning.
Old 08-26-11, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i hate wood steering wheel. don't want different textures when turning.
you hate lfa steering wheel?
Old 08-26-11, 09:10 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree completely. I kick myself about once a week for not having the dealer swap out the wood steering wheel for a full leather when I got my car. If I get another Lexus it will not have a wood steering wheel.
Old 08-26-11, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I agree completely. I kick myself about once a week for not having the dealer swap out the wood steering wheel for a full leather when I got my car. If I get another Lexus it will not have a wood steering wheel.
lol i doubt that actually had one
Old 08-26-11, 11:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The last I've seen, base 3GS350 comes with all leather steering wheel as standard in Canada, I've seen a few of them ......
Old 08-26-11, 12:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well that's lexus. there are customizations but it's not entirely that flexible. you can custom order a car from japan without the wood wheel if you want, however you will likely be paying a premium on the price (less negotiations).

and that's why in my earlier post i said even though it's an option, it's something that most dealers (or lexus corp) automatically throw into the the configurations

btw, i just went and build a gs350rwd. if i choose the car, and then on the option page, you will see that wood wheel is part of the choices. and from there you can see how not flexible the options are. basically if you want nav, you are forced to get a lot of other things already including wood wheel
are the F10 option packages only on internet? Do you get every option selectable when you go to the dealer, like you can in europe?

Otherwise when I was building F10, there were also option packages and you had to spend 1.7k to get smart entry.
Old 08-26-11, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
are the F10 option packages only on internet? Do you get every option selectable when you go to the dealer, like you can in europe?

Otherwise when I was building F10, there were also option packages and you had to spend 1.7k to get smart entry.
i just went to bmwusa.com to build a 535 again. if you skip the packages page on to the option page, on the left at the bottom, there is the comfort access keyless entry option (which gives you keyless entry and button start), 1000 bucks. not saying if that's cheap or expensive, but yes you can select options the way you want.

i didn't check lately, but last i heard, all options on bmw and mb are fully customizable as much as you want, down to interior trims.

but from my understanding, to some customers who don't care as much about customization, "problem" with bmw and mb is that when they get a car, it's too much headache to go through the long list of options. so those companies came out with packages to make things a little easier for people
Old 08-26-11, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i just went to bmwusa.com to build a 535 again. if you skip the packages page on to the option page, on the left at the bottom, there is the comfort access keyless entry option (which gives you keyless entry and button start), 1000 bucks. not saying if that's cheap or expensive, but yes you can select options the way you want.

i didn't check lately, but last i heard, all options on bmw and mb are fully customizable as much as you want, down to interior trims.

but from my understanding, to some customers who don't care as much about customization, "problem" with bmw and mb is that when they get a car, it's too much headache to go through the long list of options. so those companies came out with packages to make things a little easier for people
definitively what I like in Europe is you can get base BMW for instance, and add only few things that you want to make it nicer.

Problem is if you want to have EVERYTHING, then it is double the price of car, and it is much more affordable to get big package in Lexus.
Old 08-26-11, 03:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
definitively what I like in Europe is you can get base BMW for instance, and add only few things that you want to make it nicer.

Problem is if you want to have EVERYTHING, then it is double the price of car, and it is much more affordable to get big package in Lexus.
no doubt on that. on euro cars, base is that -- really base
Old 08-29-11, 01:28 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my wooden steering wheel, I have no complains about it. I feel like I am driving something better then an everyday beater, Camry,accord, or altima. I actually don't even miss the blisters I used to get on my Acura TSX leather steering wheel. There is no stitches in the wood which makes it much smoother.
Old 08-29-11, 04:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I love my wooden steering wheel, I have no complains about it. I feel like I am driving something better then an everyday beater, Camry,accord, or altima. I actually don't even miss the blisters I used to get on my Acura TSX leather steering wheel. There is no stitches in the wood which makes it much smoother.
wood is good excuse for putting on some leather driving gloves :-)
Old 08-29-11, 05:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2GS had a leather steering wheel and I always wanted a wooden one haha
Old 08-29-11, 07:04 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having owned many Lexus cars, I have to agree with the OP regarding the discomfort associated with the wood on their steering wheels. Maybe it's just me, but wood on the steering wheel feels uncomfortable on my hands. It strikes me that wood on a steering wheel is one of those "nice looking" things, but quite impractical for driving...particularly for any extended driving. Fortunately, I use my GX mostly during the winter months and am able to wear my gloves. As to the OP's comment regarding the reliability of BMWs, I can only say that my experiences have all been quite good with three 6 Series cars and the 7 Series and, yes, all of them have had leather steering wheels (with optional heating feature).

Last edited by LeslieRC; 08-29-11 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS Steering wheel, leather option?