Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 09:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Your joking right?
Originally Posted by jre002
Many of us are happy with our 3GS. I liked the 2GS in its time but I would take a 3GS over a 2GS anyday.
If you did not own a 2GS, then you wouldn't understand where this LARGE population of sentiment comes from. Most GS400 owners looking to move up the product line (01 430, 05 430, etc) are unhappy with the evolution.

You taking a 3GS over a 2GS definitely puts you in the minority. The poll responses attest to that.
Old 09-07-11, 09:34 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Rash
The GS looks fine the way it is.
False.

Originally Posted by natnut
IMO, Lexus killed the GS when they released the 3GS. The 4GS is their attempt to revive the model line.

From the prelim photos and reviews, looks like Lexus may hit a home run and wash away the bad taste that the 3GS left in our mouths.
So why do you 3GS haters own a 3GS? If you're so in love with the 2GS, there are plenty out there to buy. Not you specifically.
Old 09-07-11, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
False.

So why do you 3GS haters own a 3GS? If you're so in love with the 2GS, there are plenty out there to buy. Not you specifically.
your comment is quite silly. if you look at 2gs and 3gs and put up a score sheet, of course 3gs is better. better gas mileage, better power, better technology. for crying out loud, when generation of cars evolve, that better be the case otherwise it's just plain dumb. however, when moving from one generation to next, there is always expectations as well that's carried over, and on that plenty of people (you can even find that in the 3gs forum) putting up their notes on the 3gs vs 2gs, from build quality to space.

you can't remotely say that just because the 3gs has better gas mileage, more power, and better navigation, and so it's totally fine to have small cabin space, rattles and squeaks, and worse build quality
Old 09-07-11, 12:58 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
you can't remotely say that just because the 3gs has better gas mileage, more power, and better navigation, and so it's totally fine to have small cabin space, rattles and squeaks, and worse build quality
Not discounting others' experiences, but neither of the two 3GSs I own have any problems. In that vein, you can't arbitrarily state that it has worse build quality.
Old 09-07-11, 01:04 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also wish the 4GS had quad headlights, and also that the grille had vertical slants.
Old 09-07-11, 01:09 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
If you did not own a 2GS, then you wouldn't understand where this LARGE population of sentiment comes from. Most GS400 owners looking to move up the product line (01 430, 05 430, etc) are unhappy with the evolution.

You taking a 3GS over a 2GS definitely puts you in the minority. The poll responses attest to that.
The poll results show that there are more 2GS owners on this forum than 3GS owners. This will sound badly, however I'll just go ahead and state it... the 2GS is more affordable and typically a younger crowd who posts on enthusiast forums will be more apt to vote in these polls and give commentary. You can pick them up for well under 10K. More 3GS owners will be in these forums in 4-5 years, trust me.

As far as me not understanding sentiment because I don't have a 2GS, that is ridiculous. I understand the appeal of the 2GS and think it is/was a great car. All I said that I am happy with my 3GS and that I *personally* would take a 3GS over a 2GS anyday. What's the big deal with that?
Old 09-07-11, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Not discounting others' experiences, but neither of the two 3GSs I own have any problems. In that vein, you can't arbitrarily state that it has worse build quality.
i can say that because i take apart cars day in day out, and it's evidently enough to me when i see all the little problems on the 3gs compared to 2gs on a lot of details
Old 09-07-11, 01:17 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The poll results show that there are more 2GS owners on this forum than 3GS owners. This will sound badly, however I'll just go ahead and state it... the 2GS is more affordable and typically a younger crowd who posts on enthusiast forums will be more apt to vote in these polls and give commentary. You can pick them up for well under 10K. More 3GS owners will be in these forums in 4-5 years, trust me.

As far as me not understanding sentiment because I don't have a 2GS, that is ridiculous. I understand the appeal of the 2GS and think it is/was a great car. All I said that I am happy with my 3GS and that I *personally* would take a 3GS over a 2GS anyday. What's the big deal with that?
Why is there a need to offer a rebuttal on an opinion?

Affordability had nothing do with my scenario and seeing how long I've owned my 2GS and been a member so obviously I didn't pay 10k for her. There was absolutely nothing about the 3GS that warranted spending another 50+K and dumping my 2GS. That's the sentiment for a lot of 2GS owners for whatever reason (build quality, no real hp increase, new styling, etc).

You're happy with your cars, great. That's your opinion. Doesn't make you right or me wrong. But to try to 'correct' someone is the ridiculous part.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 09-07-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 03:58 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Why is there a need to offer a rebuttal on an opinion?

Affordability had nothing do with my scenario and seeing how long I've owned my 2GS and been a member so obviously I didn't pay 10k for her. There was absolutely nothing about the 3GS that warranted spending another 50+K and dumping my 2GS. That's the sentiment for a lot of 2GS owners for whatever reason (build quality, no real hp increase, new styling, etc).

You're happy with your cars, great. That's your opinion. Doesn't make you right or me wrong. But to try to 'correct' someone is the ridiculous part.
Please don't misquote me. I did not correct anyone's opinions. As a matter of fact that is exactly what I just said is ridiculous. I merely stated that I personally prefer the 3GS. At no point did I attempt to invalidate anyone's opinion. The thing I argued against was the notion that an unscientific poll on this forum proves the superiority of the 2GS over the 3GS.

Just to clarify, I also never said I was right or wrong. I don't know how much more clearly I could have stated that than my last post.

I understand the appeal of the 2GS and think it is/was a great car. All I said that I am happy with my 3GS and that I *personally* would take a 3GS over a 2GS anyday.
That's all I said, and then you hit me with I wouldn't understand this or that because I don't own a 2GS. FYI, I have a great deal of respect for the 2GS and it is still the iconic Lexus GS. Anyways, cheers man. I don't want to get in a pissing match.
Old 09-07-11, 04:05 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i can say that because i take apart cars day in day out, and it's evidently enough to me when i see all the little problems on the 3gs compared to 2gs on a lot of details
Ok man, if you say so. I don't have much experience with the 2GS so I really have nothing to compare it to. All I can go off is my 3GSs which as I stated before have been good to me so far.
Old 09-07-11, 09:54 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

The best quad headlights is the Mercedes E class.

Well everyone hated the Chris bangle BMW 7 series, but they sold a grip of them....the grille is fine, its aggressive and snouty and strong...the problem is the back just like the isf, the imbalance is too much, front is very strong and back is too plain.
Old 09-08-11, 06:22 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-08-11, 05:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Not too bad

Can you do something about the foglights?

Something angular, the circular design kills the front end for me
Old 09-08-11, 06:26 PM
LexFather

I do wish it had quad lamps and I miss the waterfall grill.......
Old 09-09-11, 01:56 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i cant wait to see the after market bumpers for this car... hopefully they will have some kind of solution for the grill... thats the only thing thats killing it for me with this car...

Quick Reply: 4GS Quad Headlight Photoshops