GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Factory plans 4X production for new GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 06:50 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^
The question is. If they do make the GS-C, will there be any place left for redesigned SC ? Probably not, unless it grows as big as MB CL.
Old 10-22-11, 07:28 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Interesting. Curious as what Lexus will designate it, may IX 350, JX 350 or VX 350?

That's great Lexus will quadruple the 4GS production. Hopefully Lexus market's it well so more people will buy it.
Infiniti already got the JX and the VX is rumored to be the name of the new Lexus 7-seating full-sized crossover (V stands for Van more naturally?). The IX is akin to the Hyundai ix35 unfortunately. The CX (C for Compact like the CT) may be the next logical choice but Mazda already has something similar. And don't make it an HX or it'll be stuck with a "harmony"/hybrid powertrain. Lexus needs to find something else to name this thing fast or all the good alphabets are running out.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-22-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-22-11, 11:23 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I don't belive the 4GS will sell at the rate they believe. The older crowd is out. The middle crowd has so many options. The younger crowd can't afford it.
Then there's us, the enthusiast crowd. So far, I haven't warmed to the look. Improved handling doesn't thrill me much because I drive a modded 3GS. OK, they sell 10 thousand to enthusiasts. Even 20 thousand.....I don't think that's enough to send chills up their spine.

When Lexus makes GS based coupe, something with style, some sportiness and plenty of leg room, I'll get excited.
On the contrary, the 4GS may just be the ticket for the older crowd who find the LS just too massive, expensive and unwieldy but couldn't get into the 3GS as it was just too cramped.

Cue the 4GS with it's class-leading interior, its relative compactness to the LS, its premium cachet over the ES and and I can see how the 4GS could be a runaway bestseller for Lexus.
Old 10-22-11, 04:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
On the contrary, the 4GS may just be the ticket for the older crowd who find the LS just too massive, expensive and unwieldy but couldn't get into the 3GS as it was just too cramped.

Cue the 4GS with it's class-leading interior, its relative compactness to the LS, its premium cachet over the ES and and I can see how the 4GS could be a runaway bestseller for Lexus.
Well, I thought the older crowd could frown on a car with a sport oriented suspension and fish-mouth grill. We'll see. Even if I don't like the looks, I would prefer it become successful. Lexus is my brand and I want to se them do well.
Old 10-22-11, 05:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Well, I thought the older crowd could frown on a car with a sport oriented suspension and fish-mouth grill. We'll see. Even if I don't like the looks, I would prefer it become successful. Lexus is my brand and I want to se them do well.
Suspension apparently improves both ride and handling.
Old 10-26-11, 01:18 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Road Rage
So I'm at my Lexus Journey session this week and after we see all the highly secret, no pictures allowed, photos of the new model body changes (except the ES) we're told that the production volume planned for the new GS is 4 times greater than previous years. Lexus expects the new GS to take away buyers of the LS and hence why the new LS isn't coming out for another year.

This led to speculation around the room that the new GS will be "competitively priced" instead of adding on another $5-10k like we expected. Price point hasn't been shared yet. We were also told that Lexus realizes they can't bank on the older buyer that makes up the largest part of their sales base. Yep, that means they want to get more younger buyers and the performance thinking is on the upswing. The CT helps with this but the GS is the sweet spot. By the way, get used to the new GS nose, it's on just about everything coming.
Is there anything else that you can tell us about the new LS? Is it going to be the 2013 model year that's completely redesigned? I'm looking at getting an LS (see my post in the LS460 forums) but I can certainly wait until 2013 if that means getting the new generation.
Old 10-26-11, 01:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Road Rage
By the way, get used to the new GS nose, it's on just about everything coming.
Thanks for sharing. Didn't notice this part until now. So you mean that angry spindle face is on the next LS too? I hope not, since the LS should be about pampering not hard driving and that angry look would be very out of character. But since you say it is here to stay I think it's safe to say the next LS will alienate most of the current buyers and get a totally different class of audience, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-26-11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 02:34 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Suspension apparently improves both ride and handling.
I think the 4GS is taking on the 5 series formula that has made it a huge success in the segment since the previous gen. I don't have the stat, but for whatever reason, it seems like there are ten 5 series for every GS I see on the road. So there is a good chance that Lexus would gain customers at the expense of the other in the segment.
Old 10-26-11, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for sharing. Didn't notice this part until now. So you mean that angry spindle face is on the next LS too? I hope not, since the LS should be about pampering not hard driving and that angry look would be very out of character. But since you say it is here to stay I think it's safe to say the next LS will alienate most of the current buyers and get a totally different class of audience, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
i have heard from another 2 sources about the same thing on the grille
Old 10-26-11, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have heard from another 2 sources about the same thing on the grille
lexus has said it on every pr and conference: "new face of lexus".
Old 10-26-11, 05:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I think the 4GS is taking on the 5 series formula that has made it a huge success in the segment since the previous gen. I don't have the stat, but for whatever reason, it seems like there are ten 5 series for every GS I see on the road. So there is a good chance that Lexus would gain customers at the expense of the other in the segment.
GS comes in several flavors. For the comfort oriented there is the standard model, for the efficiency oriented there is the 450h, and for the performance enthusiast there is the F-sport (with suspension upgrades). Practicality (trunk space, rear seat room) has been improved across the board so really in every way it is an upgrade over the outgoing model. I don't see it alienating many of those buyers but it may attract new ones.
Old 10-26-11, 06:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I happen to think that angry spindle grill is the only part of the 4GS that looks interesting exteriorwise, I like it and would welcome a variation of it on the next LS
Old 10-26-11, 06:37 PM
LexFather

With Lexus seriously internally pushing a GS coupe, it is starting to make more sense. Make the 4GS more upright ala 5/E class and maybe attract a LS buyer or two. Then maybe they offer a swoopy coupe as they were recently interviewed about.

My concern is will DEALERS PUSH THE GS or will they just show people the new ES when it debuts next year Sometimes I feel the biggest enemy is themselves.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
GS comes in several flavors. For the comfort oriented there is the standard model, for the efficiency oriented there is the 450h, and for the performance enthusiast there is the F-sport (with suspension upgrades). Practicality (trunk space, rear seat room) has been improved across the board so really in every way it is an upgrade over the outgoing model. I don't see it alienating many of those buyers but it may attract new ones.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I happen to think that angry spindle grill is the only part of the 4GS that looks interesting exteriorwise, I like it and would welcome a variation of it on the next LS
Its growing on me.
Old 10-26-11, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
i also think the grille is the single most interesting / exciting part on the exterior. not saying i like it yet (i don't), but it makes the car interesting. at least it's better than the acura front...
Old 10-27-11, 06:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lexus has said it on every pr and conference: "new face of lexus".
If this Predator mouth grill is gonna be on every Lexus, I may be looking for another brand.

Quick Reply: Factory plans 4X production for new GS