GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12 | 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
see you proved exactly my point. it's slow to me but not slow for others. give half of a is250 to certain people and they would still think it's plenty of power for their driving. Upside wants to say it's not slow and i just want to point out i think it's slow. can i survive in it? i am sure i can, i have driven it as loaner and i also survived in a c250 coupe for a week. am i going to like it? absolutely not.
this is why lexus doesnt sell GS250 in US.

In Europe, it is faster than most of the cars on the road. Cars like fast as GS350 are exception, not reality... Most people drive cars that go 0-100kmh slower than 10s. And here we argue if GS350 is slow or not. Very different market from US.
Old 02-22-12 | 11:13 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Here in europe the average car is doing from 0 - 60 in +/- 11 seconds, so the IS/GS250 is already an above average car and thus quick enough for normal/sporty driving.
Old 02-22-12 | 11:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by spwolf

In Europe, it is faster than most of the cars on the road. Cars like fast as GS350 are exception, not reality... Most people drive cars that go 0-100kmh slower than 10s. And here we argue if GS350 is slow or not. Very different market from US.
yup, i completely agree with you. that kind of setup is fantastic for other regions and i can see how it fits in perfectly.
Old 02-22-12 | 11:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Why you think Lexus won't sell the GS250 in the U.S. sometimes in the future?

Infiniti kept the G25 away from the U.S, market for a decade, now it is here.
Old 02-22-12 | 12:27 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
see you proved exactly my point. it's slow to me but not slow for others. give half of a is250 to certain people and they would still think it's plenty of power for their driving. Upside wants to say it's not slow and i just want to point out i think it's slow. can i survive in it? i am sure i can, i have driven it as loaner and i also survived in a c250 coupe for a week. am i going to like it? absolutely not.
Actually my reply was addressed to yddoby's overreaction. Of course 250 is slower compares to the car you have. On other hand, if my daily driver is Porsche 911GT2 or new Nissan GTR that does 0-62 in 3sec I would say your cars are slow. But they are not. 250 is just a normal car and not a sport car. You should not compare it with sportier cars. It would be silly isn't it.

I don't know how you guys drive in US (last time I was in there, people drove slower than in some country in Europe ) that you have to have a sport car to drive around to work daily basis. The reason to why the market is different is that you guys have lower gas price. We in Europe pay around 8USD/gallon together with high tax, higher purchase price of course we drive around with cars that have smaller engine (small diesel engines outsells petrol engines car in Europe). Lets say if you get that price on gas you will soon drive around in cars with smaller engine too. Not that we don't know there are faster cars around and the fun to drive fast cars. We just don't want to pay that gas money.

On Topic: I really like the new GS 250 and 450h. Would probably switch my 250 for a GS 250 f-sport. 450h is just a bit too expensive

Last edited by UpSideDown; 02-22-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-22-12 | 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Actually my reply was addressed to yddoby's overreaction. Of course 250 is slower compares to the car you have. On other hand, if my daily driver is Porsche 911GT2 or new Nissan GTR that does 0-62 in 3sec I would say your cars are slow. But they are not. 250 is just a normal car and not a sport car. You should not compare it with sportier cars. It would be silly isn't it.
so compare it to nothing? i mean, comparing to faster cars of course it's slow. compared to slower cars of course it's fast.

there are a lot of factors contributing to driving, gas price as you said, or driving habits as i mentioned. everything together determines whether a person think the car is fast or not. re-read my post and you can say i think the is250 is slow for "my preference" and i still think that's a completely true statement. how other people feel about the car that's different stories and as i pointed out in my latest reply, i can absolutely understand 250 being more than adequate in europe.

so there is no fair or unfair, it's called preference and it's ok one way or another.
Old 02-22-12 | 02:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

All of you guys are arguing about nothing

I think the iQ is fast and the R35 GTR is slow, what's wrong with my perceptions?

Expectation is another big factor too, I expected the iQ to be dog slow, but it is not. I expected the GTR to be scary fast, it is not either.
Old 02-22-12 | 08:26 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Not sure which part of Europe people talk about, but in Germany and Switzerland all cars are quite powerful. I would also admit that people own really expensive cars. People owning cheap and underpowered cars do not drive them frequently and use bicycles most.
Old 02-23-12 | 12:28 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dema
Not sure which part of Europe people talk about, but in Germany and Switzerland all cars are quite powerful. I would also admit that people own really expensive cars. People owning cheap and underpowered cars do not drive them frequently and use bicycles most.
Of course there people that own expensive cars here in Europe. But they are minority. Majority drive slower cars. And they tends to have even more underpowered older car with zero safety as winter beater.
Old 02-23-12 | 06:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

"all cars are quite powerful" ? What are you talking about.

What is powerful? 140hp diesel?
Old 02-23-12 | 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

first, the vast majority own cheap (relatively) and underpowered cars.
second, in germany in particular, i think you're confusing 'powerful' with 'driven fast'. big difference.
Old 02-23-12 | 10:25 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

The ratio of people driving powerful cars in Germany is equal to that of the states. I don't know where you guys are getting your facts from. I've lived in Germany for six years. It's not like every car in the States has 350hp either.
Old 02-23-12 | 10:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jre002
The ratio of people driving powerful cars in Germany is equal to that of the states. I don't know where you guys are getting your facts from. I've lived in Germany for six years. It's not like every car in the States has 350hp either.
uh, thats simply not true... while there are plenty of fast cars in europe, majority is slower and ore frugal cars..
Old 02-23-12 | 12:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

uh, thats simply not true... while there are plenty of fast cars in europe, majority is slower and ore frugal cars..
Exactly. Lexus is probably not a good brand to illustrate this because there aren't many powertrain options. But if you look a the BMW 5 series - the best selling model in Europe is the 520D and in the US it is the 535i. Big difference.
Old 02-23-12 | 01:06 PM
Alantjai
Pole Position

There are plenty of high hp cars, but i am sure the states got more.

Most of them are just driving normal cars, even in germany.

2.0 engine is average in germany

Quick Reply: Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250