Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 01:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Should the thread title also have - for NON USA & CAD Market

Unless Lexus USA changed their mind and decided BOOM we want the GS250 !! ??

~ Joe Z
Old 11-17-11, 01:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus needs to figure out where they are headed. First they wanted to be only hybrid in Britain, and now other countries are following suit. I hope they have given up on that because they should do multiple variations of the same car like the German makes.
Well they need to come up with a competitive diesel engine first AND offer the same level of luxury as the gasoline models in the diesel models. The diesel IS sold poorly because the engine is neither as refined nor as efficient as the competition, and you can only get it with minimal options.

Lexus needs to learn that just because a particular model doesn't sell well it doesn't mean there's no market for the model, but it means that the model just isn't competitive enough and that they need to do a better job in the next refresh/redesign instead of withdrawing/canceling it. Diesel is still huge in Europe and I hate to see Lexus giving up the diesel market just because the half-assed attempt of a diesel IS doesn't sell.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-17-11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 01:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
This is probably not going to be for US market.
I hope you are right. I hate it when manufacturers decontent cars to make them cheaper. It's not good marketing as it broadens the appeal, but loses credibility with the people who the car was originally aimed at.

Infiniti recently did that with the G37 and it makes me not want one anymore. It will likely hurt the resale value of the higher priced versions.

BTW, before someone points it out to me, yes I know about the 4 cylinder engine in the new 528 and the Audi A6. I'm not happy with those either.
Old 11-17-11, 01:55 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z
It will probably depend on whether or not Lexus has a problem hitting the CAFE ratings to keep them from having to pay fines.
Old 11-17-11, 01:57 PM
TheDream
Rookie

Unless they can squeeze out more power, it won't be coming to the US. Americans love horsepower and sub 6 second 0-60s in their luxury/performance cars.
Old 11-17-11, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I hope you are right. I hate it when manufacturers decontent cars to make them cheaper. It's not good marketing as it broadens the appeal, but loses credibility with the people who the car was originally aimed at.

Infiniti recently did that with the G37 and it makes me not want one anymore. It will likely hurt the resale value of the higher priced versions.

BTW, before someone points it out to me, yes I know about the 4 cylinder engine in the new 528 and the Audi A6. I'm not happy with those either.
me neither, but then again you can't deny the numbers and how a lot of people want that, especially given the economy. lexus pushed out the hs and ct for similar reasons anyway. and with that, gs250 might not be a bad idea at all. it's more of a "mainstream" hit imho. now if it's the LS flagship then i will be much stronger on my position
Old 11-17-11, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDream
Unless they can squeeze out more power, it won't be coming to the US. Americans love horsepower and sub 6 second 0-60s in their luxury/performance cars.
i wouldn't say that's majority of them though. so many people have is250, 528, etc...
Old 11-17-11, 02:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Not much power squeezing at all....

"As Seen on"... The Lexus Enthusiast website..

Originally Posted by krew

Lexus Reveals GS 250 Horsepower Details

Lexus has announced that the GS series — including the GS 250, GS 350 F Sport & GS 450h — will be joined by the LFA Nürburgring Edition for the brand’s display at the Tokyo Motor Show in December.

This announcement was accompanied with a brief chart of the GS’ main specifications.

Going from the below information, it appears that the GS 250, a 2.5L V6 engine option that will be available in most markets outside North America, will be packing 158 kW/215 PS/212 HP at 6,400 rpm.

The 4GR-FSE in the non-North American IS 250 has always had 158 kW/ 215 PS / 212 HP - respectively.

Source: Toyota Motor Corp. Japan
Enjoy,

Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250-gs250-specs.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-17-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Nice Joe!
Old 11-17-11, 04:14 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
It will probably depend on whether or not Lexus has a problem hitting the CAFE ratings to keep them from having to pay fines.
Templin came out and said they will not be affected much by cafe standards because they are considered one company with Toyota. As long as Toyota keeps putting out the different variations of the previous and the EV rav4 Lexus is not in trouble
Old 11-17-11, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Well they need to come up with a competitive diesel engine first AND offer the same level of luxury as the gasoline models in the diesel models. The diesel IS sold poorly because the engine is neither as refined nor as efficient as the competition, and you can only get it with minimal options.

Lexus needs to learn that just because a particular model doesn't sell well it doesn't mean there's no market for the model, but it means that the model just isn't competitive enough and that they need to do a better job in the next refresh/redesign instead of withdrawing/canceling it. Diesel is still huge in Europe and I hate to see Lexus giving up the diesel market just because the half-assed attempt of a diesel IS doesn't sell.
you can get diesel with any option.. heck there are two diesels now.
but lexus customers in europe dont want diesels... they need smaller hybrids and they are coming.
Old 11-17-11, 07:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
you can get diesel with any option.. heck there are two diesels now.
Interesting... You're right. I didn't notice that most if not all options (except the automatic transmission) can be now had with the diesel IS. I could've sworn that one could only get some basic options with the IS220d until a year ago when they introduced the IS200d. Still the absence of an auto gearbox to pair with the diesel is quite an oversight IMHO.
but lexus customers in europe dont want diesels... they need smaller hybrids and they are coming.
Or it can be said in the other way... that diesel buyers in Europe don't find what they want from Lexus. There are certainly plenty of diesel buyers in Europe, but they aren't buying diesels from Lexus just yet. Lexus would be foolish to overlook this big piece of the European market. They just need to continue to improve their diesel offerings until the diesel buyers in Europe take Lexus seriously, instead of giving up so easily.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-17-11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 10:38 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Joe Z!
Old 11-18-11, 12:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Interesting... You're right. I didn't notice that most if not all options (except the automatic transmission) can be now had with the diesel IS. I could've sworn that one could only get some basic options with the IS220d until a year ago when they introduced the IS200d. Still the absence of an auto gearbox to pair with the diesel is quite an oversight IMHO.Or it can be said in the other way... that diesel buyers in Europe don't find what they want from Lexus. There are certainly plenty of diesel buyers in Europe, but they aren't buying diesels from Lexus just yet. Lexus would be foolish to overlook this big piece of the European market. They just need to continue to improve their diesel offerings until the diesel buyers in Europe take Lexus seriously, instead of giving up so easily.
or they could do a proper IS250h, IS300h that will do much better in Europe than "me too" diesel would.

just like CTh is now selling like crazy in Europe.
Old 11-18-11, 09:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z
CL is US based, but our audience is global.

Quick Reply: Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250