Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 09:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Not much power squeezing at all....

"As Seen on"... The Lexus Enthusiast website..

Enjoy,

Joe Z
Can you say repost?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-specs.html
Old 11-18-11, 01:10 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
me neither, but then again you can't deny the numbers and how a lot of people want that, especially given the economy. lexus pushed out the hs and ct for similar reasons anyway. and with that, gs250 might not be a bad idea at all. it's more of a "mainstream" hit imho. now if it's the LS flagship then i will be much stronger on my position
Many times companies make short term decisions that have long term unintended consequences. If you want to be the premium brand, you have to resist trying to bring in more downscale business in the interest of volume (that's what they have Toyota for). GM and Ford have learned this the hard way by whoring out the Cadillac and Lincoln brands over the years.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Templin came out and said they will not be affected much by cafe standards because they are considered one company with Toyota. As long as Toyota keeps putting out the different variations of the previous and the EV rav4 Lexus is not in trouble
Makes sense.
Old 11-18-11, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Many times companies make short term decisions that have long term unintended consequences. If you want to be the premium brand, you have to resist trying to bring in more downscale business in the interest of volume (that's what they have Toyota for). GM and Ford have learned this the hard way by whoring out the Cadillac and Lincoln brands over the years.

Makes sense.
again, i am with you. i am never a fan of the hs and ct, but at least if ct helps to gets younger crowd that's debatable. people talk for the longest time about v6 LS and i have been as strong as ever going against that idea. on the gs, well, what can i say, bmw has proven over time smaller engine setup sells very well. how does it affect branding? tough call i guess
Old 11-18-11, 07:34 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
again, i am with you. i am never a fan of the hs and ct, but at least if ct helps to gets younger crowd that's debatable. people talk for the longest time about v6 LS and i have been as strong as ever going against that idea. on the gs, well, what can i say, bmw has proven over time smaller engine setup sells very well. how does it affect branding? tough call i guess
Remember in the '90s when both BMW and Mercedes decided to come out with bottom feeder cars. I'm trying to remember the models. One was a two door BMW, the other a very basic 4 cylinder Mercedes. They did not do well. Same with Jaguar the the "X Type".

In the age of fuel mileage consciousness they may do okay if they are not cheapened too much. But I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. The Infiniti G25 is not even available with Navigation.
Old 11-18-11, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Remember in the '90s when both BMW and Mercedes decided to come out with bottom feeder cars. I'm trying to remember the models. One was a two door BMW, the other a very basic 4 cylinder Mercedes. They did not do well. Same with Jaguar the the "X Type".

In the age of fuel mileage consciousness they may do okay if they are not cheapened too much. But I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. The Infiniti G25 is not even available with Navigation.
you are talking about the infamous mb c230 (hatch) and bmw 318ti.

yup, they were horrible. but i guess the gs250 by comparison isn't close to be as bad, i kind of think it somewhat goes with the 528.

in the end? you and i both share the same concern.
Old 11-19-11, 02:11 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In europe they sell the:

520i 4cyl engine patrol
520d 4 cyl engine diesel
528i 4cyl engine patrol
E200 4cyl engine patrol/diesel
E220 4cyl engine patrol/diesel
E250 4cyl engine patrol/diesel
Even a S250 4cyl diesel
A6 2.0 patrol/diesel
Old 11-19-11, 02:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alantjai
In europe they sell the: Even a S250 4cyl diesel
A four cylinder engine on a premium flagship vehicle (F-segment)? Ewww.........that's ****ing disgusting IMHO (but I'm sure DustinV will argue against me for this )

Still, if there are people who want an S-class with an engine from B160 then be my guest.

-----
In any case, I guess GS 250 may work better for markets like Europe or other places with poorer economies or with higher fuel taxes. Still fine imho.

And hey, Infiniti has an M25 for Taiwan so I guess a GS250 is not too bad. Still acceptable and good enough I guess.

But seriously, I want my GS-F (with a minimum V8 engine and at least 500 hp)

P.S.
Off-topic:

That GS 350 on the right picture (yeah the black one). Is it the F-sport version?

If so, then...........wow it looks like this one has front foglamps as well as LED headlamps (which was said to be only for the hybrid 4GS).

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Blackraven; 11-19-11 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-19-11, 05:05 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes sense.
Depends whats your perception of premium. Is it the sole number of cylinders or is it the technology that brings those cylinders together in harmony.

If you asked me ten years ago I would say V6 over 4banger any day but today those 4 bangers grew up and became more mature and V6-es kind of got lazy a bit (not too much).

Just remember if car taxation in US changes (God forbid) based on pollution, fuel efficiency or engine size whole game changes.
Old 11-19-11, 12:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is this image from?

Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250-lmxmf.jpg
Old 11-19-11, 04:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Vladi
Depends whats your perception of premium. Is it the sole number of cylinders or is it the technology that brings those cylinders together in harmony.

If you asked me ten years ago I would say V6 over 4banger any day but today those 4 bangers grew up and became more mature and V6-es kind of got lazy a bit (not too much).

Just remember if car taxation in US changes (God forbid) based on pollution, fuel efficiency or engine size whole game changes.
to me what i notice most is smoothness. yes today's 4 and 6 cylinders have matured a lot, much more powerful and efficient. however when it comes to ultimate smoothness, quietness, and ease of drive, nothing beats bigger displacement engines with more cylinders. no matter how you look at it, put together same generations of engines, the more cylinders, the smoother the car is.

looking at my 3gs350, yup it's powerful and very capable, but talking about smoothness when i want slight acceleration, cruising, and quietness? i miss my 2gs400 and sc430, which has about the same hp AND one less gear. and of course don't mention the gs460
Old 11-19-11, 04:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

California plate hmm... interesting. Guess they really want to see some sales volume from the GS. To those who don't care about power it should be okay... At least it's still using a V6 not some 4-banger.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-19-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 07:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Somewhere in California. I will elaborate after the embargo lifts.
Old 11-19-11, 09:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Somewhere in California. I will elaborate after the embargo lifts.
When is that?
Old 11-19-11, 10:51 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

...dont tell me they are bringing the 2.5 liter here to the US as well...

unless it has some sort or turbo or DI and produces 240+ horsepower...
Old 11-20-11, 08:11 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Vladi

I'd like to think I'm open minded as to what my perception of premium is. But I must admit that I have about 45 years of history to overcome. I've been through this before when suddenly turbo 4cylinders became popular in the early 80's. I owed one turbo four. one turbo 5 cylinder, and an aftermarket turbo car.

What we found out then is that four cylinders didn't sound or feel very premium, and turbo lag was very irritating. I have no doubt that they are better today, but I could give examples of how they are not any better in power/economy than a good six cylinder.

I don't have my head buried in the sand. I see what's coming and like I said, I'm open minded. A car that will be very interesting is the upcoming 328 BMW. I've done a little homework on it and I think it may be a very promising car.

But lets not forget the flip side. Most of the premium brands, such as BMW, Lexus and Mercedes are using engine size not only for economy, but it is also how they define the lower priced versions. Not only do they have smaller less powerful engines, but they typically have less content in other areas and in many cases don't offer some of the same amenities. They also have somewhat of a cheaper look to them.

While this may seem like a small thing, and example is the BMW 5 series. The 528 has twin tailpipes on one side while the 535 has a dual exhaust - meaning pipes on both sides of the back of the car. It's like you are a driving bill board to other car enthusiasts who see it and say - oh, he has the base car. A little thing maybe, but lets be honest, the car nuts among us are **** about every little detail of the car we buy - I know I am. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Quick Reply: Coming Soon: Lexus GS 250