GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bad News for Overseas Guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
why not just wait to buy the car once you're back in the US? is it that much cheaper in Germany?
he is buying US spec and shipping it to germany (military)... it is a lot cheaper than buying any kind of car in germany... for that US price of GS, you can get Golf TDI (105hp) with A/C in Europe. Military perks :-).

Having an GS in Germany will be cool too... Hybrid would be perfect if price is not an big issue.
Old 12-12-11, 09:15 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
he is buying US spec and shipping it to germany (military)... it is a lot cheaper than buying any kind of car in germany... for that US price of GS, you can get Golf TDI (105hp) with A/C in Europe. Military perks :-).

Having an GS in Germany will be cool too... Hybrid would be perfect if price is not an big issue.
Actually, I didn't decide on which way I would buy the GS. There is a Lexus dealer right in Stuttgart. Or I could buy from the US and my job will ship it over here. The way I buy doesn't make a difference. The problem is if I buy the US model the NAVI won't work in Germany. If I buy the German model, the NAVI won't work in the US. Either way, I'd have to get rid of the car in 2 years or so. Maybe a short term lease is an option. Probably more expensive but the only option right now if I want the 4GS.

BTW, it's the value added tax which kills the price in Germany/Europe. Americans are exempt from the 18% VAT markup, so buying in Germany actually is cheaper than buying in the US. They just make you keep the car for at least 6 months after you buy it to prevent people from buying and flipping cars to make money.
Old 12-12-11, 09:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Actually, I didn't decide on which way I would buy the GS. There is a Lexus dealer right in Stuttgart. Or I could buy from the US and my job will ship it over here. The way I buy doesn't make a difference. The problem is if I buy the US model the NAVI won't work in Germany. If I buy the German model, the NAVI won't work in the US. Either way, I'd have to get rid of the car in 2 years or so. Maybe a short term lease is an option. Probably more expensive but the only option right now if I want the 4GS.

BTW, it's the value added tax which kills the price in Germany/Europe. Americans are exempt from the 18% VAT markup, so buying in Germany actually is cheaper than buying in the US. They just make you keep the car for at least 6 months after you buy it to prevent people from buying and flipping cars to make money.
how can it be cheaper? Did you check GS pricing in germany? :-).

GS450h fully equipped, without MwSt, is 65k Euros, which is $86k :-).

Not only that but value drops drastically, so much better is to import it from US.... I did that with my GS350 AWD but I lived in the country that had no Euro homologation rules at that time.
Old 01-01-12, 10:46 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how can it be cheaper? Did you check GS pricing in germany? :-).

GS450h fully equipped, without MwSt, is 65k Euros, which is $86k :-).

Not only that but value drops drastically, so much better is to import it from US.... I did that with my GS350 AWD but I lived in the country that had no Euro homologation rules at that time.
Has been like this as long as I recall. Europe has been way more expensive.
In the EU Japanese cars are subject to 10% customs duty + VAT (in Germany the VAT is 19%). US military staff are exonerated from both I think.

Back to the issue of the navigation system not working in Europe...Lexus has been consistent trying to keep the markets separate. Price differentiation could be one reason.