GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Had 2006 GS300, now have 2011 BMW 535, will come back to 2013 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 09:08 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Had 2006 GS300, now have 2011 BMW 535, will come back to 2013 Lexus GS

Currently I am not that happy with my current 2011 BMW 535i xdrive. After having a great experience with the GS, I plan to get rid of the 5 and return to Lexus and get the new amazing GS. The 5 is with some flaws and quality problems that I rather not discuss here because its a Lexus forums but I want to say hi to everyone after 1 year hiatus that I am excited for the GS and cannot wait for it to come. This is coming from a BMW owner who also has a 335 xi coupe and really appreciate the kind of car the GS is.
Old 12-20-11, 09:28 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to see you coming back to GS family. Yea the 2013 GS is an extraordinary package.
Old 12-21-11, 11:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Currently I am not that happy with my current 2011 BMW 535i xdrive. After having a great experience with the GS, I plan to get rid of the 5 and return to Lexus and get the new amazing GS. The 5 is with some flaws and quality problems that I rather not discuss here because its a Lexus forums but I want to say hi to everyone after 1 year hiatus that I am excited for the GS and cannot wait for it to come. This is coming from a BMW owner who also has a 335 xi coupe and really appreciate the kind of car the GS is.
Wait, so you're an actual bmw owner and not one of those so called friend's neighbor's aunt's daughter's dog sitter who isn't happy with their bmw? j/k

I haven't left lexus for a german brand as of late and haven't planned to .

I want to check out the new GS also and the new upcoming SC (won't be for "a hwile ").
Old 12-21-11, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Welcome back!

Sadly the 5 series was voted I believe the worst in quality for BMW in the last 2011 Consumer Reports report.
Old 12-21-11, 05:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Sorry but it needs to be asked, what is wrong with your 5?
Old 12-22-11, 06:52 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sorry but it needs to be asked, what is wrong with your 5?
spend some time on the F10 forums, and you'll get an idea of some of the things that could be wrong

i was/am considering a 3, 5, or GS, but i admit i'm very concerned with the reliabilty and other issues i've read about the new 5...i definitely wouldn't touch a 2011, but may still consider a 2012+
Old 12-23-11, 05:02 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

I have a 2011 BMW 535 Xdrve with 9k miles at my dealer.

I dont see any flaws? Its fast, comfortable and a great vehicle. We are asking $49,995 for it.

But i see your point, the GS is a great vehicle even thought im not a fan of the 4GS
Old 12-23-11, 05:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still loving my 2012 550i. They had a number of issues with 2011s which seem to have been ironed out.

The car is built like a brick, the tech is awesome, and the 501hp gives me the ability to beat anything short of a Ferrari at the lights. My BMW has had no issues, no trip to dealer.

One other nice thing I noticed switching from Lexus is the third party developer network - I have a guy in Poland who has been able to remotely code software changes to allow video while driving, remove the warning message, and add the BMW M HUD feature to the regular BMW HUD.

In 1 month of ownership it has been more reliable than my Lexus GS460 which had three trips to the shop in the first month. After taking the Lexus home, I found it had a faulty radio. Went back and the dealer incorrectly diagnosed it as a faulty amp. Made me wait a week, them installed a new amp. That didn't solve the problem. Then they kept my car and put me in a loaner for another 5 days, eventually replacing the radio which solved the problem. I also had two trips to fix rattles in the first quarter of Lexus ownership.

I am not saying the 2008 GS460 had quality issues - just that one persons experience means nothing. Plus afte the first 6 months, I had few issues other than rattles which came up every 6 months or so.

The grim stories with luxury cars are the exception not the norm. Some Lexus cars are bad, some BMWs are bad, but most are flawless for both brands.

Last edited by *Batman*; 12-23-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-23-11, 07:16 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I'm still loving my 2012 550i. They had a number of issues with 2011s which seem to have been ironed out.

The car is built like a brick, the tech is awesome, and the 501hp gives me the ability to beat anything short of a Ferrari at the lights. My BMW has had no issues, no trip to dealer.

One other nice thing I noticed switching from Lexus is the third party developer network - I have a guy in Poland who has been able to remotely code software changes to allow video while driving, remove the warning message, and add the BMW M HUD feature to the regular BMW HUD.

In 1 month of ownership it has been more reliable than my Lexus GS460 which had three trips to the shop in the first month. After taking the Lexus home, I found it had a faulty radio. Went back and the dealer incorrectly diagnosed it as a faulty amp. Made me wait a week, them installed a new amp. That didn't solve the problem. Then they kept my car and put me in a loaner for another 5 days, eventually replacing the radio which solved the problem. I also had two trips to fix rattles in the first quarter of Lexus ownership.

I am not saying the 2008 GS460 had quality issues - just that one persons experience means nothing. Plus afte the first 6 months, I had few issues other than rattles which came up every 6 months or so.

The grim stories with luxury cars are the exception not the norm. Some Lexus cars are bad, some BMWs are bad, but most are flawless for both brands.
Mark my words your twin turbo 550i will be a nightmare out of the warranty.
Old 12-23-11, 08:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

statistically some are worst than others :-)
Old 12-23-11, 09:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait, so 550i comes with 501hps stock?
Old 12-24-11, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
wait, so 550i comes with 501hps stock?
i believe he got the dinan package
Old 12-24-11, 07:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Mark my words your twin turbo 550i will be a nightmare out of the warranty.
I agree, but it's not my problem. I owned the GS460 for 2.5 years, and I'll be damned if I own the BMW any longer than that!

You guys are right - the long-haul mechanical reliability is not great. But as a new car buyer who replaces every 2-3 years, I car more about things like rattles then about long-term mechanical reliability.

The only issue with long-term mechanical reliability is that BMW resale drops below Lexus when the car reaches 4 years of age. I have concluded that if you own a BMW best bet is to replace it in the 12-24 month window.

Anyway - I wouldn't be driving a BMW if the lazy bastards in Japan had launched a GSF in the new body style. I've always liked the Lexus value proposition - better reliability, better value, better depreciation, and better dealers. The only thing I don't like is under-powered engines in 4GS, and those bloody rattles I had on the 3GS (got rid of them all for the next owner, but it was a pain to have spent that much on a car and then have to trouble-shoot rattles).

I will be back to Lexus if they launch a 4 door coupe based on GSF with 500hp+ in the next 2 years. Otherwise the replacement for the 550i is going to be the M6 GranCoupe.

Last edited by *Batman*; 12-24-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 10:51 AM
LexFather

I agree, but it's not my problem. I owned the GS460 for 2.5 years, and I'll be damned if I own the BMW any longer than that!

You guys are right - the long-haul mechanical reliability is not great. But as a new car buyer who replaces every 2-3 years, I car more about things like rattles then about long-term mechanical reliability.

The only issue with long-term mechanical reliability is that BMW resale drops below Lexus when the car reaches 4 years of age. I have concluded that if you own a BMW best bet is to replace it in the 12-24 month window.

Anyway - I wouldn't be driving a BMW if the lazy bastards in Japan had launched a GSF in the new body style. I've always liked the Lexus value proposition - better reliability, better value, better depreciation, and better dealers. The only thing I don't like is under-powered engines in 4GS, and those bloody rattles I had on the 3GS (got rid of them all for the next owner, but it was a pain to have spent that much on a car and then have to trouble-shoot rattles).

I will be back to Lexus if they launch a 4 door coupe based on GSF with 500hp+ in the next 2 years. Otherwise the replacement for the 550i is going to be the M6 GranCoupe.
Nice reply

I was taking to a Euro bud in the auto industry and he gave me some insight. Basically in Europe it doesn't make much sense to keep old cars (taxes, emissions etc) so Europeans build their cars for people to own 2-3 years tops then get a new one. They know that after that the cars get bought and shipped to Russia, Africa etc where they are so happy to buy the "badge" they put up with the quality/maintenance. In Europe these cars are deemed simply regular cars, like a Ford/Chevy. In America the perception is of high class only and they sell us mostly large engines.

It was an interesting discussion. That said I've reviewed the 5 series a few times and I honestly think its the perfect vehicle for 99% of the population. There is no major flaw new, tons of space and is a really great family vehicle.
Old 12-28-11, 11:49 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW is much more refined car. needless to say that even in electronics BMW is superior to Lexus. Why do I need manually transfer my contacts i Lexus when i can just see and access all my phone contacts in BMW? why I cant see any other letters than ASCII in Lexus? Why music stops playing after shutting engine i Lexus? Why do I need to carry fat manuals in Lexus when I can read and search everything on navigation screen in BMW. List of weird stuff in Lexus is endless. New GS looks finally very copied from European cars, headlights from Audi, interior fro. BMW, so I keep a hope that Lexus copied much more behind of scenes, so I will give it a try when versio witb 8 cylinder vetsion will be out.

PS never had a single problem with BMW for four years and never visited a dealer beside of free maintenance.

Quick Reply: Had 2006 GS300, now have 2011 BMW 535, will come back to 2013 Lexus GS