GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Question about Safety features 4th Gen GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 05:55 AM
lebaron97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Safety features 4th Gen GS

I'm ordering a 4th Gen GS F-line and stumbled over the optional safety packages available (in Europe that is). The new lexus offers different safety packs each with different features. I prefer the Lane Keep Assist feature which unfortunately is not available for the F-Line. Night View is available but to me this doesn't offer much additional safety.

I had a debate with the dealer who told me that technically both features are incompatible whilst I was saying that the safety pack offering LKA is cheaper than the one offering Night View and that it thus had to be a marketing stunt from Japan not making the safety pack with LKA available for the F-Line.

Anyone outthere who knows if these features are actually incompatible?
Old 01-02-12, 08:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might wanna check out what Lexus Japan will offer for the local JDM market since it will be the reference standard for the 4th gen GS with regards to standard equipment and options.

Old 01-02-12, 09:05 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lebaron97
I'm ordering a 4th Gen GS F-line and stumbled over the optional safety packages available (in Europe that is). The new lexus offers different safety packs each with different features. I prefer the Lane Keep Assist feature which unfortunately is not available for the F-Line. Night View is available but to me this doesn't offer much additional safety.

I had a debate with the dealer who told me that technically both features are incompatible whilst I was saying that the safety pack offering LKA is cheaper than the one offering Night View and that it thus had to be a marketing stunt from Japan not making the safety pack with LKA available for the F-Line.

That's weird. I wonder why they would exclude the LKA option if you buy the Sport package. Nobody else excludes it.
Old 01-02-12, 09:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
That's weird. I wonder why they would exclude the LKA option if you buy the Sport package. Nobody else excludes it.
Actually. Maybe no one knows for sure.

Hence, why I advised the OP to observe what Lexus Japan will be offering for the local JDM market. The JDM 4GS will imho be the reference standard for equipment and options so maybe the OP should observe what they will offer.

Old 01-02-12, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lebaron97

LKA is nothing special... I think Night Vision is much better feature overall.

what about dynamic radar cruise?
Old 01-02-12, 03:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LKA is nothing special... I think Night Vision is much better feature overall.

what about dynamic radar cruise?
I'm not a fan of nightvision. It just takes your eyes off the road. LKA is pretty trivial too, but at least it leads you to develop better turn signal habits over time.
Old 01-03-12, 01:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Hehe I doubt we'll get either of them (for the Philippine-spec models from the local dealership).

With regards to safety features, I'm guessing our local 4GS will get:
-the complete airbag set (driver and front passenger, side airbags, curtain airbags, driver and passenger knee airbag), stability and traction control, ABS, HID Xenon headlamps (no halogens here thank god), LED DRLs (a given), etc

Am I missing anything?
Old 01-03-12, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I'm not a fan of nightvision. It just takes your eyes off the road. LKA is pretty trivial too, but at least it leads you to develop better turn signal habits over time.
in europe not all roads are properly marked, so LKA doesnt work as well (it follows the lines).

but nightvision should also show on HUD.