GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Reserve your 2013 gs today

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 11:29 AM
clambros
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clambros

I received this config, from my dealer in the SouthEast, its a RWD with ML & NAV (and a few others) .. You can see the region loads it with other feeatuers (blind spot, park assist, HUD, Wheel Locks) jumping the "loaded luxry" model to over $58,700

Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 46900.00
Blind Spot Monitor System .................. 500.00
Heads Up Display ........................... 900.00

Luxury Pkg: Rain-sensing wipers, Heated & .. 5750.00
Ventilated Front Seats & Pwr Rr Sunshade, 18-
Alloy Wheels w/All-Season Tires, Adaptive Var
Suspension (AVS), Sport S+ Drive Mode, Adapti
Front Lighting Sys (AFS), Wood & Leather Trim
Steering Wheel, Linear Espresso Wood Int. Tri
Semi-Aniline Leather Int Trim, 18-way Power F
Seats, Lexus Memory Sys for Front Passenger,
-zone Auto climate ctrl, Rear door manual sun

Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio Sy 1380.00
w/17-speaker, 835-watt w/7.1 Channel Architec
Digital Amplifier & GreenEdge Speaker Technol

Navigation Pkg: HDD Navigation w/12.3-inch Hi 1735.00
Resoultion split screen multimedia display &
Lexus Enform w/Destination & eDestination, .
Application Suite, NavWeather, NavTraffic Spo
& Stocks. Sub. Required: (1-yr trial sub incl

Intuitive Park Assist ...................... 500.00

Accy Pkg: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net & Wheel Locks 242.00

Total Accessories ...........................: $11007.00

Destination Charge ..........................: $ 875.00
Total .......................................: $ 58782.00

Out of curiosity, I configured a similar 535i

3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
Rear-wheel drive
Base MSRP $52,500
Driver Assistance Package $1,350
• Active Blind Spot Detection
• Lane Departure Warning
• Automatic high beams
Premium Package $2,000
• Power tailgate
• Comfort Access keyless entry
• Universal garage-door opener
• Park Distance Control
Premium Sound Package $950
• Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
• Premium hi-fi system
Technology Package $1,850
• Rear-view camera
• Navigation system
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $0
Head-up Display $1,300
Heated front seats $500
Parking Assistant $500
BMW Apps $250
BMW Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat $112
Destination & Handling: $895
Total MSRP as Built $62,207
Old 01-14-12, 01:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jjscsix
This is getting real confusing. The Luxury package on the car on page one of this thread shows Navigation as part of that package, whereas here they are showing it as a stand alone option. I must have missed something....what?
It's not that confussing....

The copy & past feature, probably killed the spacing... A simple "enter" key solves that issue..

The below is cut out of post #1.. Plus, I added more $ signs for convenience.

Codes for this car below are: 9306 AWD with BD, GF, LK, LX, NV, PA, PS and Z1

Retail Total

Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 49450.00

Blind Spot Monitor ......................... $ 500

Heads Up Display ........................... $ 900

Lane Keep Assist w/Lane Departure Warning .. $ 500

Luxury Pkg w/Heated Rear Seats / Cold Weather $ 6,090
Rain-sensing wipers, Heated & Ventilated Fron
Seats & Power Rear Sunshade, 18-inch Alloy Wh
w/All-Season Tires, Adaptive Variable Suspens
(AVS), Sport S+ Drive Mode, Wood & Leather .
Trimmed Steering Wheel, Linear Espress Wood I
Trim, Semi-Sniline Leather Int. Trim, 18-way
Front Seats, Lexus Memory Sys for Front-Passe
Three-zone Automatic Climate Control, Rear-do
Manual Sunshades, Heated Steering Wheel, ...
Windshield Wiper Deicer, Water-repellent Fron
Door and High Intensity Interior Heater ....

Navigation Pkg: HDD Navigation w/12.3-inch Hi $ 1,735
Resoultion split screen multimedia display &
Lexus Enform w/Destination & eDestination, .
Application Suite, NavWeather, NavTraffic Spo
& Stocks. Sub. Required: (1-yr trial sub incl

Intuitive Park Assist ...................... $ 500

Pre-Collision Sys & Dynamic Radar Cruise, Pre $ 2,000
Brake, Driver Attn Monitor w/closed-eye detec

Accy Pkg: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net & Wheel Locks $ 242
--------- ---------
Total Accessories ...........................:
Destination Charge ..........................: $ 875.00
TDA .........................................:
---------
Total .......................................: $ 62,792

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-30-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-14-12, 04:00 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

So Lexus did add the "Heated steering wheel" option....hmmm. May only be a part of the "Cold Weather" package, which would make sense. Disappointed with the exterior color options for the F-Sport models..../ohwell
Old 01-14-12, 07:00 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
It's not that confussing....

The copy & past feature, probably killed the spacing... A simple "enter" key solves that issue..

The blow is cut out of post #1.. Plus, I added more $ signs for convenience.

~ Joe Z
Joe, you are right - I missed the price on the first post. My bad!
Old 01-14-12, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't think custom building is the point. There are things that are not available as stand alone options, and we've already established that ordering a car is a 3-4 month ordeal.

I'm not sure why you are saying it's not a fair comparison. I own a very well equiped GS now. The question becomes, do I want to spend $5000 more to buy a new one when my lease is up. I'm not knocking the car, nor am I trying to pass judgement on whether it's worth the additional money or not. I'm just saying that the way I'm seeing things it may be out of the price range I want to spend on a car. I don't consider a 10% price increase to be insignificant. Infiniti did the same thing when the current M came out, and it has not sold well.
well that's what lexus has always been "weak" about, just get used to it.

when i said it's not fair, i don't mean the way you are looking at it. i am talking about the base price of the car, where it says the "same" but it really doesn't mean as much since it offers more in some areas but less in some others. bottom line is if you get a similar equipped car it will cost more (as you stated). it's just how things are for the longest time i can remember. we can all complain about it but at the same time i see nothing surprising there

that's why when the news came out saying the new gs has the same base price as the 3gs, i said it's good but basically shut up after that. i didn't know what's to be so exciting about. i mean, it's definitely a good start, no doubt. but it's just a small piece of the puzzle. this is lexus not acura, where you either get base or nav version of the car. there are so many packages and options, and those are the real contents that add to the overall price of the car.

as we can see here, my 3gs350 was pretty loaded at 52k msrp. i am still wondering what the similar kind of optioned car will be now on the 4gs. i am pretty sure it's going to be close to 60k, if not more.

Originally Posted by spwolf
i get 75k for 535xi with everything included in GS.... which is similar to what that awd premium has for 62k... although 5 series doesnt have pre-colission?

That premium has AVS, Sport+ active dampers, HUD, Navigation/apps, active cruise control, line assist, blind sport, 18 way front seats heated/ventilated), etc, etc.

so it is 13k difference actually.
maybe you can tell us what you throw into the 535xi to make it 75k. i look at the first 62k gs350 car and built what i think is a close match 535xi

Space Gray Metallic
$550
Black Nappa Leather
$1,000
Aluminum Trim
$0
Cold Weather Package
$1,450
Driver Assistance Package
$1,350
Luxury Seating Package
$2,400
Premium Package
$2,000
Technology Package
$1,850
Head-up Display
$1,300
Multi-contour seats
$1,300
Destination & Handling:
$895
TOTAL MSRP AS BUILT$68,895

if you think premium with avs and you need to throw in the m sport package on bmw, give me a break. get a fsport (and that is if you can throw luxury package on the fsport, which i don't know) and we will talk. that adds what, 5-6k to the price tag? m-sport has a lot of other features added that you can't do a good comparison at that point. and there are other small stuff too, lexus is only 3 zone, bmw is 4 zone. how do we want to deal with that?

anyway, you can build whatever you want and claim the difference, that's your call and i am not going to go far with you on that. if you think a "similarly" equipped 5 is going to be over 10k more, i have nothing to say

to me, i made it pretty clear that lexus is still priced nicely under similar bmw, i gave them that but if you want to stretch that any further...

Last edited by rominl; 01-14-12 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So Lexus did add the "Heated steering wheel" option....hmmm. May only be a part of the "Cold Weather" package, which would make sense. Disappointed with the exterior color options for the F-Sport models..../ohwell
i think heated steering wheel with cold weather package makes sense anyway. to me by the time i need heated steering wheel, the car must be pretty darn cold
Old 01-15-12, 08:16 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

when i said it's not fair, i don't mean the way you are looking at it. i am talking about the base price of the car, where it says the "same" but it really doesn't mean as much since it offers more in some areas but less in some others. bottom line is if you get a similar equipped car it will cost more (as you stated). it's just how things are for the longest time i can remember. we can all complain about it but at the same time i see nothing surprising there

that's why when the news came out saying the new gs has the same base price as the 3gs, i said it's good but basically shut up after that. i didn't know what's to be so exciting about. i mean, it's definitely a good start, no doubt. but it's just a small piece of the puzzle. this is lexus not acura, where you either get base or nav version of the car. there are so many packages and options, and those are the real contents that add to the overall price of the car.

as we can see here, my 3gs350 was pretty loaded at 52k msrp. i am still wondering what the similar kind of optioned car will be now on the 4gs. i am pretty sure it's going to be close to 60k, if not more.

maybe you can tell us what you throw into the 535xi to make it 75k. i look at the first 62k gs350 car and built what i think is a close match 535xi

Space Gray Metallic
$550
Black Nappa Leather
$1,000
Aluminum Trim
$0
Cold Weather Package
$1,450
$1,350
Luxury Seating Package
$2,400
Premium Package
$2,000
Technology Package
$1,850
Head-up Display
$1,300
Multi-contour seats
$1,300
Destination & Handling:
$895

if you think premium with avs and you need to throw in the m sport package on bmw, give me a break. get a fsport (and that is if you can throw luxury package on the fsport, which i don't know) and we will talk. that adds what, 5-6k to the price tag? m-sport has a lot of other features added that you can't do a good comparison at that point. and there are other small stuff too, lexus is only 3 zone, bmw is 4 zone. how do we want to deal with that?

anyway, you can build whatever you want and claim the difference, that's your call and i am not going to go far with you on that. if you think a "similarly" equipped 5 is going to be over 10k more, i have nothing to say

to me, i made it pretty clear that lexus is still priced nicely under similar bmw, i gave them that but if you want to stretch that any further...
Just to be clear on my position. I'm not at all surprised it went up on price - I've expected and predicted that all along. And compared to the competition it's probably worth it. I'm a huge car nut, and have been for over 45 years, and I still have all the magazines I've ever bought to prove it - going back to 1965. Paying stupid money for vehicles has never stopped me before, as you can see in my signature. But I'm reaching a point in my life where these decisions to pay more for a car are a lot harder as I near retirement and shake my head over the fact that my 401k is worth about what it was 4 years ago except what I have contributed.

My point is that they did a lot of things right, and the car is fairly priced. But they better hope there are not too many folks like me, because despite the new fangs it has grown, the Lexus is still a car that will appeal to folks my age more than younger folks. BTW, I'm 59 years old.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. You make good points.
Old 01-15-12, 09:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Space Gray Metallic
$550
Black Nappa Leather
$1,000
Aluminum Trim
$0
Cold Weather Package
$1,450
$1,350
Luxury Seating Package
$2,400
Premium Package
$2,000
Technology Package
$1,850
Head-up Display
$1,300
Multi-contour seats
$1,300
Destination & Handling:
$895
since bmw's site doesnt work with Chrome, here is attached image from IE:

Old 01-15-12, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by clambros
Out of curiosity, I configured a similar 535i

3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
Rear-wheel drive
Base MSRP $52,500
Driver Assistance Package $1,350
• Active Blind Spot Detection
• Lane Departure Warning
• Automatic high beams
Premium Package $2,000
• Power tailgate
• Comfort Access keyless entry
• Universal garage-door opener
• Park Distance Control
Premium Sound Package $950
• Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
• Premium hi-fi system
Technology Package $1,850
• Rear-view camera
• Navigation system
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $0
Head-up Display $1,300
Heated front seats $500
Parking Assistant $500
BMW Apps $250
BMW Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat $112
Destination & Handling: $895
Total MSRP as Built $62,207
there is also stuff missing here, such as nappa leather, sport AT, sport package with dynamic dampers, luxury package with ventilated seats, power rear sunshade, active seats 4zone.... all of that is 7.5k extra and you do get 19" instead of 18" wheels and 4 zone vs 3 zone but thats pretty much it... and on the other side you get extra stuff in Lexus like Enform, larger nav screen, etc.

you cant really compare luxury package with its AVS and active damping Sport+ system to base 5 series, same goes with 18 way seats... Will ML and BMW "Premium" system be even comparable?
Old 01-15-12, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Just to be clear on my position. I'm not at all surprised it went up on price - I've expected and predicted that all along. And compared to the competition it's probably worth it. I'm a huge car nut, and have been for over 45 years, and I still have all the magazines I've ever bought to prove it - going back to 1965. Paying stupid money for vehicles has never stopped me before, as you can see in my signature. But I'm reaching a point in my life where these decisions to pay more for a car are a lot harder as I near retirement and shake my head over the fact that my 401k is worth about what it was 4 years ago except what I have contributed.

My point is that they did a lot of things right, and the car is fairly priced. But they better hope there are not too many folks like me, because despite the new fangs it has grown, the Lexus is still a car that will appeal to folks my age more than younger folks. BTW, I'm 59 years old.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. You make good points.
oh, don't get me wrong i am totally with you on the points you made. if anything that's what i have been complaining about lexus for a long time anyway, people often have to get features they don't really need. but then at the same time i guess that's how lexus is able to save a few pennies here and there too, more customization can put more "stress" on the production line thus increasing cost. i am sure lexus will still end up comfortably cheaper, just not sure by how much

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is also stuff missing here, such as nappa leather, sport AT, sport package with dynamic dampers, luxury package with ventilated seats, power rear sunshade, active seats 4zone.... all of that is 7.5k extra and you do get 19" instead of 18" wheels and 4 zone vs 3 zone but thats pretty much it... and on the other side you get extra stuff in Lexus like Enform, larger nav screen, etc.

you cant really compare luxury package with its AVS and active damping Sport+ system to base 5 series, same goes with 18 way seats... Will ML and BMW "Premium" system be even comparable?
doesn't matter comparable or not, ml and premium are both upgrade. the lexus car doesn't have ml, so adding premium is clearly not appropriate to me. and if you have to say adding sport package is necessary to make it fair, power to you.
Old 01-15-12, 01:39 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't forget the GS also has normal cup holders... something the 5 Series still doesn't have even though we're already in 2012......
Old 01-15-12, 09:20 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

oh, don't get me wrong i am totally with you on the points you made. if anything that's what i have been complaining about lexus for a long time anyway, people often have to get features they don't really need. but then at the same time i guess that's how lexus is able to save a few pennies here and there too, more customization can put more "stress" on the production line thus increasing cost. i am sure lexus will still end up comfortably cheaper, just not sure by how much

doesn't matter comparable or not, ml and premium are both upgrade. the lexus car doesn't have ml, so adding premium is clearly not appropriate to me. and if you have to say adding sport package is necessary to make it fair, power to you.

But I think adding the Sport package is fair since in most reviews, the GS, base or F-sport was compared to the sport package equipped 5 series and still won the handling test. Hence you need to up-spec the 5 series to the handling package for it to even be able to be on-par with the GS in terms of handling.
Old 01-15-12, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by natnut
But I think adding the Sport package is fair since in most reviews, the GS, base or F-sport was compared to the sport package equipped 5 series and still won the handling test. Hence you need to up-spec the 5 series to the handling package for it to even be able to be on-par with the GS in terms of handling.
if that's the case that means any of the previous 3gs built were never worth the money because you can add all the packages to the car and it still wouldn't handle like a bmw? like i said, if that's how a comparison is done, meaning same performance level, i really don't have anything else to say because obviously things are looked at differently. and i guess any price comparison between these cars are pointless because you just can't have 2 exactly same cars from different brands, never.

i mean, looking at the details, sports package have 19" wheels, lexus? increased speed limiter, lexus? 4 zone climate, lexus? fold down rear seats, lexus (or do they fold down now finally)? you see what i mean? you can never get it down to those details to say a good comparison. just like spwolf said, bmw's premium audio might only be barely better than lexus standard system, let alone mark levinson. so that means need to throw in bmw premium audio just to compare to standard lexus?

things go both way. again if that's how you think the comparison should be done, i really have nothing to say. i am not saying one way is right / wrong, but i am just putting it on the table. but just keep in mind the ball goes both way, flipping the coin and you can see something similar from bmw side. and the same goes to mb too, even if you compare between mb and bmw

Last edited by rominl; 01-16-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-16-12, 09:39 AM
Andy111
Driver School Candidate

What is the lowest price that the dealers will be selling the GS? Can you realistically find something in the late 40's/low 50K range? Not sure I can spend $60K with tax, destination, etc.
Old 01-16-12, 10:17 AM
rocks
Driver

Well it seems to me that this time around the GS seems to be very similar in price to the F10. That may not be a good thing if Lexus hopes to sway buyers of MB and especially BMW. The 3G was a bargain compared to the germans, this one not so much.

Quick Reply: Reserve your 2013 gs today