GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

No GS in the list can't wait to drive in 2012 on MSN auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 09:27 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No GS in the list can't wait to drive in 2012 on MSN auto

It was surprise why new GS so underrated on MSN auto.
Old 01-14-12, 10:59 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have already driven the new GS:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...b-191734b9361a
Old 01-15-12, 11:39 AM
rocks
Driver

Are there any performance test between the F-sport G3350 and the M-sport 535I? The tests I've seen always pitch the GS-Fsport with the non M equipped 535I which is unfair. I am still baffled as to why Lexus does not offer a manual transmission with a car that they hope to compete with the 5-series, not to mention all the press about its newly acquired performance. This is analogous to Hyundai's Equus VS the LS, at the end of the day the Equus while a good effort is still not a fair contender to the LS. I really would love to consider this car when I am in the market in the next two years; however, no manual transmission means I might have to stick with BMW. The only thing I find off putting about these new BMW's is the turbo charge motors. I still wish they offered a regular straight 6 for those of us that prefers the dynamics of an NA car. I have been driving my current E46 M-sport with manual transmission for five years now and it is still best performing car I have ever owned. Before that I had an automatic E46 which I sold because it got real boring after two years.

At one point I was set on an ISF as a replacement but then I just can't see spending that kind of loot on a performance car that does not offer a manual transmission option, it's almost like a travesty. I've become to like certain aspects of Lexus since I stumbled here and as much as I'd like to switch marques just to try something different, I find that there's just no compelling reason to. After-all, soft leather and nicely appointed interiors are not vital priorities for me when shopping for a car. Yes! I know, most members here is baffled by that, but its just like everything else in life, that which is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. Anyway, I am curious to see how this car sells compared to it's competitors in the next two years. That is the only real measure of whether or not this new venture was the right one.
Old 01-15-12, 12:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rocks
Are there any performance test between the F-sport G3350 and the M-sport 535I? The tests I've seen always pitch the GS-Fsport with the non M equipped 535I which is unfair. I am still baffled as to why Lexus does not offer a manual transmission with a car that they hope to compete with the 5-series, not to mention all the press about its newly acquired performance. This is analogous to Hyundai's Equus VS the LS, at the end of the day the Equus while a good effort is still not a fair contender to the LS. I really would love to consider this car when I am in the market in the next two years; however, no manual transmission means I might have to stick with BMW. The only thing I find off putting about these new BMW's is the turbo charge motors. I still wish they offered a regular straight 6 for those of us that prefers the dynamics of an NA car. I have been driving my current E46 M-sport with manual transmission for five years now and it is still best performing car I have ever owned. Before that I had an automatic E46 which I sold because it got real boring after two years.

At one point I was set on an ISF as a replacement but then I just can't see spending that kind of loot on a performance car that does not offer a manual transmission option, it's almost like a travesty. I've become to like certain aspects of Lexus since I stumbled here and as much as I'd like to switch marques just to try something different, I find that there's just no compelling reason to. After-all, soft leather and nicely appointed interiors are not vital priorities for me when shopping for a car. Yes! I know, most members here is baffled by that, but its just like everything else in life, that which is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. Anyway, I am curious to see how this car sells compared to it's competitors in the next two years. That is the only real measure of whether or not this new venture was the right one.
Insideline's test on the F-sport recorded 69.7 mph through the slalom, on par with the high performance IS-F. By contrast, the 2012 Audi A6 (which Insideline preferred over the 535i on a recent comparison test) went through the slalom at 67.2 mph. The 535i did it in 64.5 mph. The GS' slalom times are currently best in class, and while it's recommended you drive these cars yourself and decide which you prefer, it's arguable that the new GS given its lower weight will out handle any 5 series.

The Lexus has many advantages over the F10 5er, even forgoing the traditional strengths of reliability and service. The new GS is much quieter than the 5 (again per Insideline's measurements), the interior uses higher quality materials and the ride/handling balance will be much better. Whereas the 5er can get jittery and firm in sport settings so far all reviews indicate the GS still rides smoothly in sport settings, it is a Lexus after all.

With the F10 5er people have complained about turbo lag and delay in power delivery, and it was ranked well below average by CR in their recent reliability rankings. Regardless the new 5er has transformed into a heavier, more docile luxury car than its performance oriented predecessors. The new A6 (AWD) and GS seem to be better driving cars overall.
Old 01-15-12, 01:43 PM
rocks
Driver

You're right Mr. Burns, I just feel like I am stucked with no where to turn. I have read about the issues with the F10 and those I find off-putting as well. You see, I just wished that Lexus offered a manual transmission with this car. I presume its great as the reviews say it is. I love the fact that it is NA, and that it will perhaps be more reliable. These days to tell you the truth I don't get excited about any of the new BMW's, they're just not for me. I like the one I own because to me it was represented what the brand messaging was all about. Maybe, I've hang around here too much lol but I find myself for the first time ever since the debut of the 2nd gen GS really gravitating towards this brand. As a result, I don't even post on the BMW forums anymore. You could say I defected. I only visit the BMW forums when I am researching a repair for my car. Well, I know Lexus have some great products coming within the next two years. So if this GS does not win me over, perhaps, the next gen ISF will suffice. I keep weighing the pros and cons and I'm somewhat shameful to admit it but for my purposes Lexus wins.
Old 01-15-12, 03:55 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Have you considered the A6? Not sure if Audi offers a manual with that. Manuals are slowly becoming extinct, and may become a rarity even with super cars.
Old 01-16-12, 05:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

as much as I know, Lexus have been providing M-Sport 535i for journalists to compare vs GS F-Sport as well.
Old 01-16-12, 07:58 AM
rocks
Driver

Never cared for audi...
Old 01-16-12, 07:24 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a video awhile back where they compared the gs-f sport with the 535i and the testers seemed to be more fond of the gs.
Old 01-21-12, 06:03 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very curious to get my hands on the new GS.

My observation on BMW vs. Lexus having had my 550i for about 6 weeks now is that the BMW may not have higher cornering speeds on paper (i.e. the old Lexus had a 0.9G on skidpad which would still be class-leading today), however the BMW feels like it has more grip because the suspension is less wobbly and the road feel is better. I ran the same tires on both cars (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) so my perception is apples to apples. I was expecting that by switching from the GS460 to the heavier BMW I would be trading cornering speeds for acceleration and straight line speed. In practice, I have found that I can corner faster because I have a better sense of confidence in the amount of grip available.

My understanding is that Lexus has made a huge leap in this area with the 4GS. I am curious to try it out.
Old 01-21-12, 08:44 AM
rocks
Driver

I am overly curious too; however, I would be ecstatic if they released a GSF with say comparable stats as the Jaguar XFR. Drop the ISF motor in it for all I care. I just want a decently quick high performance midsize sedan. Sometime in 2014 I will be in the market for a nice car and I want something that I will be able to drive and enjoy daily for 7 years or so without being bored. The ISF is great but I really need more interior room for my sanity. Even though I am a very slim guy, my biggest gripe with the E46 is that after 5 years of driving it, it feels cramped.

Last edited by rocks; 01-21-12 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 02:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I am very curious to get my hands on the new GS.

My observation on BMW vs. Lexus having had my 550i for about 6 weeks now is that the BMW may not have higher cornering speeds on paper (i.e. the old Lexus had a 0.9G on skidpad which would still be class-leading today), however the BMW feels like it has more grip because the suspension is less wobbly and the road feel is better. I ran the same tires on both cars (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) so my perception is apples to apples. I was expecting that by switching from the GS460 to the heavier BMW I would be trading cornering speeds for acceleration and straight line speed. In practice, I have found that I can corner faster because I have a better sense of confidence in the amount of grip available.

My understanding is that Lexus has made a huge leap in this area with the 4GS. I am curious to try it out.
Most of the reviews comparing the M-sport 535i vs the 4GS have said that the additional weight of the 5 series coupled with the non-linear throttle response of the turbocharged 5 series made the 5 series less confidence inspiring during cornering compared to the 4GS.

I would imagine a 550i with a heavier V8 in the nose would do even less well in terms of cornering ability.

But of course the little you lose in the turns, you probably make up in terms of hair raising straight-line acceleration of the powerful TT v8.
Old 02-01-12, 07:35 AM
itruns
Driver

I am overly curious too; however, I would be ecstatic if they released a GSF with say comparable stats as the Jaguar XFR. Drop the ISF motor in it for all I care. I just want a decently quick high performance midsize sedan. Sometime in 2014 I will be in the market for a nice car and I want something that I will be able to drive and enjoy daily for 7 years or so without being bored. The ISF is great but I really need more interior room for my sanity. Even though I am a very slim guy, my biggest gripe with the E46 is that after 5 years of driving it, it feels cramped.
My wife traded her e46 330 for a IS350 and finds it much more than "decently quick" quite a bit quicker than her 330... her only complaint was the lighter steering feel compared to the e46... that has been addressed (f-sport stuff) and now Lexus has addressed that and more with the GS350 F-sport..

I like the "5 Series" size... I have a e39 six speed "M sport 540" tweaked just a bit and I find myself grabbing her IS350 instead when she is not using it. Although the only BMW's we kept from the recent fleet of 5 were both manuals... (I admit it, I was a BMW “enthusiast”, but newer ones.... Her 335…repeated fuel pump problems, ect

I don't seem to miss the manual tranny when driving the IS.
Old 02-04-12, 05:32 PM
rocks
Driver

Thanks man for your synopsis, I think you have echoed that which I am contemplating doing myself. Recently, I have been thinking in two years, I will just get an 2011 IS35O F- Sport to tide me over till the GSF debuts and then wait until all the bugs are worked out before buying. I know it's only rumor but I strongly believe Lexus will debut this car within the next two years.