GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Luxury or Premium GS for Ride and Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 08:05 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Luxury or Premium GS for Ride and Handling?

If I was to choose these 2, will there be any benefit having the Luxury over the Premium in terms of handling? If they are the same and the Luxury provides a better ride comfort (abeit slightly) then I will stick with the Premium and get the 18 inch wheel package and Navigation. If the handling needs to be better than I will go for the F-Sport, however I do not want the 19 inch wheels in Michigan and the low profile rubber right now. Overall I am leasing the car and want a decent well rounded GS but I cannot decide between the Luxury or Premium w/18 inch wheel package and Navigation. I dislike the Luxury wheels and the wood steering wheel included in the Luxury package. But I like dynamic suspensions on my other cars and wish it was standalone option. If the ride are the same in both Luxury and Premium and not much improvement then it makes it easier. Has anyone driven both the premium and luxury at the Lexus GS drive event? If so, please do give me your feedback. I will definitely drive both when they arrive next month.
Old 01-25-12, 02:28 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
If I was to choose these 2, will there be any benefit having the Luxury over the Premium in terms of handling? If they are the same and the Luxury provides a better ride comfort (abeit slightly) then I will stick with the Premium and get the 18 inch wheel package and Navigation. If the handling needs to be better than I will go for the F-Sport, however I do not want the 19 inch wheels in Michigan and the low profile rubber right now. Overall I am leasing the car and want a decent well rounded GS but I cannot decide between the Luxury or Premium w/18 inch wheel package and Navigation. I dislike the Luxury wheels and the wood steering wheel included in the Luxury package. But I like dynamic suspensions on my other cars and wish it was standalone option. If the ride are the same in both Luxury and Premium and not much improvement then it makes it easier. Has anyone driven both the premium and luxury at the Lexus GS drive event? If so, please do give me your feedback. I will definitely drive both when they arrive next month.
I have driven the Luxury and the F-sport! I did not noticed any difference in normal or S modes. Both have the same 18" wheels. But you could really feel the difference in the F-Sport S+. I did not like the the interor of the LUX. F-sport does not have the auto trunk closer(no big deal). The big difference was the SEATS! very comfortable as you can adjust to your liking(f-sport).
Old 01-25-12, 03:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSGUAM,

Thank you. Do you like the steering feel and handling on both models? What about the Lexus interface? Is it easy to use or needs time to get used to it? I am hearing from reviews that its very tricky without the thumb enter button that is present on RX versions.

I look forward to hearing more feedbacks from others also.
Old 01-25-12, 06:24 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGUAM
I have driven the Luxury and the F-sport! I did not noticed any difference in normal or S modes. Both have the same 18" wheels. But you could really feel the difference in the F-Sport S+. I did not like the the interor of the LUX. F-sport does not have the auto trunk closer(no big deal). The big difference was the SEATS! very comfortable as you can adjust to your liking(f-sport).
How did the F-Sport have the same 18" wheels?
Old 01-26-12, 12:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it does in Guam... in US, it is 19" wheels I believe...

In any case, reviews are good and all, but best thing is to drive the car itself.
Old 01-26-12, 01:47 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
How did the F-Sport have the same 18" wheels?
Same exact question I asked the local Lexus dealer. I was told that they could not get them b/c their system did not accept that option. Did not matter to me as, It will be sporting 20" Vossens CV3 by mid next week...just pulled the trigger this morning.
Old 01-27-12, 02:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
The premium and luxury suspensions are the same. The significant differences will be between F-Sport and Premium/Luxury. Of course models with LDHS w/Rear Steer makes a huge difference...but my guess is LDHS w/Rear Steer cars are going to be rare...and most likely a special order option.

I like the F-Sport more for obvious reasons, but the Luxury & Premium handle perfectly fine. It's all preference. If you want all out comfort, go with the regular. If you want the tighter suspension and sporty look and cool interior features, then F-Sport is for you.
Old 01-29-12, 02:44 PM
mendeljr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about RWD versions but I do know that the AWD Premium vs AWD Luxury do have slightly different suspension. What i mean by that is the Luxury version gets the adaptive variable suspension (AVS). So on the drive mode selector you DO get the S+ option where as the premium only gets the "S" which simply changes lighting around the gauge cluster and remaps drive by wire slightly. But the S+ on the Luxury will change suspension feel and enhance shifts (ie blips as well).

Even though i haven't driven each yet (next week i will) I can only imagine that you will have a superior handling vehicle in the Luxury model.
Old 01-30-12, 10:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mendeljr
I am not sure about RWD versions but I do know that the AWD Premium vs AWD Luxury do have slightly different suspension. What i mean by that is the Luxury version gets the adaptive variable suspension (AVS). So on the drive mode selector you DO get the S+ option where as the premium only gets the "S" which simply changes lighting around the gauge cluster and remaps drive by wire slightly. But the S+ on the Luxury will change suspension feel and enhance shifts (ie blips as well).

Even though i haven't driven each yet (next week i will) I can only imagine that you will have a superior handling vehicle in the Luxury model.
The Lexus Dynamic Handling (inc. AVS) with Rear Steer package is an optional package, not a standard. We'll see more of it now but it will eventually become special order only due to cost like the expensive options which have historically fizzled out in the model's lifespan.
Old 01-31-12, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The Lexus Dynamic Handling (inc. AVS) with Rear Steer package is an optional package, not a standard. We'll see more of it now but it will eventually become special order only due to cost like the expensive options which have historically fizzled out in the model's lifespan.
you mean fizzled due to lack of interest?
Old 01-31-12, 07:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^Nah.. I would say slowly left out of packaging to lower MSRP stickers, as the lifespan begins to age...

Just my opinion naturally..

~ Joe Z
Old 01-31-12, 08:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean fizzled due to lack of interest?
Lack of interest because people think they deserve to buy a new car under invoice before a car comes out.
Old 01-31-12, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Lack of interest because people think they deserve to buy a new car under invoice before a car comes out.
haha. but unfortunately true! and ridiculous!

am disappointed lexus is not offering all the luxo goodies on the f-sport one though.
Old 01-31-12, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha. but unfortunately true! and ridiculous!

am disappointed lexus is not offering all the luxo goodies on the f-sport one though.
i think it's a step in the right direction already. they are already offering more options and choices for people. look back 5-6 years, you couldn't even choose most of the wood trims to go with different leather