GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 09:14 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you are on wrong forum... there are 3-4 of us here that are fanboys... Batman is not, and he was giving his honest opinions... if you look through his post history, you will realize that.

Besides, reliability is not that hard to check... heck, it is one of the few things on the car that can be objective and easy to check.
I'm sure that Batman appreciates your help and, yes, I know he's a good guy. It was not my intention to hi-jack this thread. It's just that it's become an irritant when a response seems to simply be that "Brand A is good and Brand B is bad"...and there's a lot of that going on and not just here. One of the reasons I continue to populate ClubLexus is not because I still own one, but because the folks here haven't gone too deep into the kool-aid. I am very conscious about not berating a brand simply because it's different from what I drive or seemingly "popular" opinion. Frankly, I thought the OP posed a fair question...I would differ with them about the 3 Series being among the comparison group...and I was hoping for something more robust in response. That's all.
Old 01-31-12, 09:16 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clambros
I would be we have a litigator in our mist :-)

Gotta love litigators .. where else does one get paid to argue with people ??

(I Should have taken the bar exams)
Former litigator and recovering attorney!
Old 01-31-12, 09:30 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I'm sure that Batman appreciates your help and, yes, I know he's a good guy. It was not my intention to hi-jack this thread. It's just that it's become an irritant when a response seems to simply be that "Brand A is good and Brand B is bad"...and there's a lot of that going on and not just here. One of the reasons I continue to populate ClubLexus is not because I still own one, but because the folks here haven't gone too deep into the kool-aid. I am very conscious about not berating a brand simply because it's different from what I drive or seemingly "popular" opinion. Frankly, I thought the OP posed a fair question...I would differ with them about the 3 Series being among the comparison group...and I was hoping for something more robust in response. That's all.
This thread is about reliability, not which brand is better than the other overall.
Old 01-31-12, 10:14 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This thread is about reliability, not which brand is better than the other overall.
Thanks for the reminder...
Old 01-31-12, 10:25 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Thanks for the reminder...
It is very difficult to predict the reliability of a new model like the 2013 GS, so in making that call we have to make certain assumptions. First, the engine is largely carry over, and has been very reliable in the past, so there is no reason to think it's won't continue to be. With the rest of the car, we can only assume that since it's a Lexus, chances are it will be more reliable than the BMW or Merc given historical performance and rankings. That's really all the information anyone here has to make that call, and if I were a betting man, I'd pick the Lexus. I'm sure many Merc and BMW fanboys on other forums would as well.

Does Lexus make better cars than BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc...? That's not very black and white. It all comes down to what you're looking for in a car, and what appeals to you. All of these cars and these brands make excellent products, the differences between them in the real world are very small. But they also prioritize different things, and if one brand's priorities fall in line with yours, you may find it the better fit.
Old 02-02-12, 01:22 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 332 Likes on 218 Posts

Powertrain wise, I don't see it could be any worst than the 3GS since they're essentially the same. However, the 4GS has a lot more electronic that could fail. But I still bet my money on the Lexus to last longer than the Germans.
Old 01-27-21, 08:28 AM
leebogs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada, my favorite option is the Heated steering wheel.
Old 01-28-21, 03:20 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive the Lexus, save the money then get the Lambo !
Old 01-29-21, 06:03 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenazn
Drive the Lexus, save the money then get the Lambo !
This is what I did lol. But to the OP I would place the GS above all your other options and will be without a doubt many times more reliable than the other 3. In my opinion the GS looks the best and costs the least to maintain so is the obvious winner in comparison.

Just realized this was a 9 year old thread revived for some reason lol
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-29-21)
Old 01-31-21, 07:24 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy111
How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars:

1. 2012 Mercedes e350 coupe
2. 2012 Mercedes c350 coupe
3. 2012 BMW 335i sedan
Based on my own experience and experience of family members, the Lexus hands down for reliability. I had a BMW 330i E46 with sport package. It is by far the best driving car I have ever owned. The combination of ride, handling, telepathic steering, suspension feedback, engine and transmission, seats and ergonomics and delicious sounds from the I6 and exhaust was simply unmatched in the class. After owning the IS 350 F Sport and only one unscheduled repair in four years and 84000 miles, I was sold on Lexus and at the time preferred it to the F30 3 series which was more luxury than sport. From a driving standpoint, I much prefer BMW over Mercedes. I was impressed with the original E class which was a drivers car but it evolved into a luxury car and the quality tanked as well. I always thought the C class was a Mercedes afterthought as its quality was not up to the big brothers. Maybe they have changed. After owning the 2018 GS 350 F Sport for two years, I have come to have a lot of respect for the build quality and engineering of the car. The IS while a good car is not even close. I think the GS is engineered every bit as well as the Germans while beating them in reliability. The chassis has that Germanic solidity and is very stable at well into triple digit speeds while having a nice ride. The build quality is better BMW and it really strikes a nice balance between luxury and sport. Good luck with your decision.
The following 3 users liked this post by Savjam:
awdlyfe (02-02-21), JDR76 (02-01-21), tompass (02-01-21)
Old 02-04-21, 05:32 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2013 GS350 is 10 times more reliable. My 2015 435i is 25 times more fun, engaging to drive.
Old 02-05-21, 09:58 AM
DrTheTay
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My family has driven several MB’s and BMW’s, and looking at the stacks of repairs convinced me that they were not a good option for me. I’ve never had any trouble with my GS- admittedly a data point of 1, but I think it convinced a few other people as my parents now drive a GX. 😅
Old 02-05-21, 03:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Hang on a min. So Lexus has always been more reliable than German cars. In my case being a long time Lexus Owner and other cars, I'm looking at the GS is not as reliable as the past GS and other Lexus model IMO. Yes I love mine and will be keeping it for a long time, but I don't recall having Fuel pump issues, Steering rack issues, low miles Strut issues, A/C Servo motor, ect. These parts should Not be failing so consistent and prematurity on a Lexus IMO. I know that no car is perfect.

Comparing Apples to Apple Brand.
Old 02-05-21, 06:40 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy111
How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars:

1. 2012 Mercedes e350 coupe
2. 2012 Mercedes c350 coupe
3. 2012 BMW 335i sedan
1. 2012 Mercedes e350 coupe - Hot girl in a red dress will attract allot weirdos but has allot of baggage and her daddy left her at 6 but she can kill you in your sleep if you mess with her.
2. 2012 Mercedes c350 coupe - She's the fat and funny chick plus the designated driver of her hot friends group (see e350 friend.)
3. 2012 BMW 335i sedan - She's hot and smart with allot of fun style and sense, very wild and willing to try everything once, however she's broke now and is stripping to pay for her high troubles and debt.
4. 2013 Lexus GS - She's the cute girl next door, thinks shes trendy and everyone wants her but the reality is she's very boring, very generic, has no personality, terrible in bed and her breathe smells, your better off watching paint dry.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 02-05-21 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
Cwang (02-05-21)
Old 02-05-21, 10:07 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

#4 is only true if you live in Houston. No curvy roads and lots of fast domestics everywhere.

I have experience with #3. 535i waiting for an engine.....

Quick Reply: 2013 GS Reliability