*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy111
How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars:

1. 2012 Mercedes e350 coupe
2. 2012 Mercedes c350 coupe
3. 2012 BMW 335i sedan
It will be the best out of all these three. I have no doubt. BMW will be the worst.
The following 2 users liked this post by *Batman*:
adr7090 (07-14-21), Chaos236 (02-04-21)
Old 01-30-12, 03:39 PM
Jsavage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MB's look like they're 10 years old next to the 2013 GS (seriously). The GS is about $13k less than the 535 x drive.
THE GS has the 3 cars mentioned beat hands down!
Old 01-30-12, 10:51 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put here c350 since it is in IE ligue.
5 series still have some features GS doesn't. Needless to say that GS copied Idrive introduced by BMW about 10 years ago finally. However GS had certain win over e350, since the car is too common ad Camry now, and even less expensive than GS. So certainly GS had certain niche as being unique and still absorbs best qualities from competitors. Can't wait next year when will buy it to replace my e350.
Old 01-30-12, 11:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
I wouldn't put here c350 since it is in IE ligue.
5 series still have some features GS doesn't. Needless to say that GS copied Idrive introduced by BMW about 10 years ago finally. However GS had certain win over e350, since the car is too common ad Camry now, and even less expensive than GS. So certainly GS had certain niche as being unique and still absorbs best qualities from competitors. Can't wait next year when will buy it to replace my e350.
iDrive type interface is standard with premium brands and both Audi and MB both have iDrive like interfaces (MMI and COMAND). They allow the display to be positioned up high and under a tent to avoid glare and finger prints.

Remote Touch in Lexus models has already been available on the RX and CT. It's not new in the GS.
Old 01-31-12, 02:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
iDrive type interface is standard with premium brands and both Audi and MB both have iDrive like interfaces (MMI and COMAND). They allow the display to be positioned up high and under a tent to avoid glare and finger prints.

Remote Touch in Lexus models has already been available on the RX and CT. It's not new in the GS.
Its not new in the 4th Gen GS, but the new Enform 2.0 and the revised Remote Touch system is.
Old 01-31-12, 02:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy111
How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars:

1. 2012 Mercedes e350 coupe
2. 2012 Mercedes c350 coupe
3. 2012 BMW 335i sedan
That's a no brainer:

2013 Lexus GS > 1, 2 and 3.
Old 01-31-12, 03:47 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
It will be the best out of all these three. I have no doubt. BMW will be the worst.
OK, I understand that this is a Lexus forum so there will be a certain high level of brand loyalty; however, I was hoping for something more than worthless advice pellets. Worthless because the statement begs the question...why??? I've owned several Lexus, BMW, and Audi cars and still feel good about all those decisions because there was something of value that each car offered. For example, Lexus is quality and reliability, Audi is fantastic engineering, and BMW is (truthfully) amazing driving and handling characteristics. At one time or another, all of these cars I owned appealed to my sense of style...a very subjective thing, I know. My answer to what I think of the 4th generation GS and how it would fare against likely competitors is first that I think it's targeted competitors are the Merc E Class, Audi 6, and BMW 5 Series cars...all German executive sedans. As such, the GS is going to have to come out of the gate with superb luxury amenities, power, and performance handling. I think it will. With the GS, Lexus is also going for uniqueness in brand recognition. Here, I think it's just a matter of whether buyers like what they see in the GS. Frankly, I think Lexus should have made the GS look more like the LF-LC up front. At any rate, competition is always a good thing and it's always imprudent to dismiss or underestimate one's competitors.
Old 01-31-12, 05:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
OK, I understand that this is a Lexus forum so there will be a certain high level of brand loyalty; however, I was hoping for something more than worthless advice pellets. Worthless because the statement begs the question...why??? I've owned several Lexus, BMW, and Audi cars and still feel good about all those decisions because there was something of value that each car offered. For example, Lexus is quality and reliability, Audi is fantastic engineering, and BMW is (truthfully) amazing driving and handling characteristics. At one time or another, all of these cars I owned appealed to my sense of style...a very subjective thing, I know. My answer to what I think of the 4th generation GS and how it would fare against likely competitors is first that I think it's targeted competitors are the Merc E Class, Audi 6, and BMW 5 Series cars...all German executive sedans. As such, the GS is going to have to come out of the gate with superb luxury amenities, power, and performance handling. I think it will. With the GS, Lexus is also going for uniqueness in brand recognition. Here, I think it's just a matter of whether buyers like what they see in the GS. Frankly, I think Lexus should have made the GS look more like the LF-LC up front. At any rate, competition is always a good thing and it's always imprudent to dismiss or underestimate one's competitors.
didnt you notice that he drives and loves his 550i?
Old 01-31-12, 05:24 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
didnt you notice that he drives and loves his 550i?
LeslieRC doesn't notice anything. That's why he is quoting a lowly C class from his cubicle.
Old 01-31-12, 08:04 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by *Batman*
LeslieRC doesn't notice anything. That's why he is quoting a lowly C class from his cubicle.
I notice much more than you apparently give me credit...and it's a corner, window office where I spend my time at work with degrees from my undergraduate and law schools on the wall. What I've noticed, though, is an abundance of car fanboys resting on laurels of perceived glory days...and this gets to the point of my last post. If I had a quarter for every time I've read someone posting Lexus (or any car brand for that matter) is superior or better than, or some other brand ( BMW seems to be a favorite) is terrible...just because they say so, I would no longer need to work for a living. I enjoy healthy debates, but I need more than just an opinion...give me some real world experience or facts to better understand the point. I remember running to Lexus with an open wallet in the early 1990s, because it made a vehicle that was more superior and reliable than its Mercedes, BMW, and Audi competitors. I had been driving Audis up to then. I have nothing but great things to say about the SC400, GS300, and two SC430s I owned and the GX470 I still own. However, by 2005 or so, I noticed that the brands Lexus had been trumping had caught-up with and were even beginning to surpass Lexus in performance, luxury, and even value. Up to now Lexus' response has been the LF-A, a vehicle so wonderful but out-of-reach that it really doesn't even qualify for the moniker of "halo- car". So, yes, I'm very interested in seeing how this new GS will stack-up against that segment of executive performance/luxury sedan cars. As to the remark about lowly C class...I don't get that one. In addition to my GX470, I'm currently driving a 135i and a 7 Series; I have yet to own a Mercedes-made car.
Old 01-31-12, 08:39 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I understand that this is a Lexus forum so there will be a certain high level of brand loyalty; however, I was hoping for something more than worthless advice pellets. Worthless because the statement begs the question...why???. . .
i think if you re-read the original post, you'll notice that the initial question was :

"How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars: "

not about which car was better, or what pros/cons each car had, or what each had to offer
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus3oi:
ganyamilo (02-07-21), Measured (01-29-21)
Old 01-31-12, 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

I notice much more than you apparently give me credit...and it's a corner, window office where I spend my time at work with degrees from my undergraduate and law schools on the wall. What I've noticed, though, is an abundance of car fanboys resting on laurels of perceived glory days...and this gets to the point of my last post. If I had a quarter for every time I've read someone posting Lexus (or any car brand for that matter) is superior or better than, or some other brand ( BMW seems to be a favorite) is terrible...just because they say so, I would no longer need to work for a living. I enjoy healthy debates, but I need more than just an opinion...give me some real world experience or facts to better understand the point. I remember running to Lexus with an open wallet in the early 1990s, because it made a vehicle that was more superior and reliable than its Mercedes, BMW, and Audi competitors. I had been driving Audis up to then. I have nothing but great things to say about the SC400, GS300, and two SC430s I owned and the GX470 I still own. However, by 2005 or so, I noticed that the brands Lexus had been trumping had caught-up with and were even beginning to surpass Lexus in performance, luxury, and even value. Up to now Lexus' response has been the LF-A, a vehicle so wonderful but out-of-reach that it really doesn't even qualify for the moniker of "halo- car". So, yes, I'm very interested in seeing how this new GS will stack-up against that segment of executive performance/luxury sedan cars. As to the remark about lowly C class...I don't get that one. In addition to my GX470, I'm currently driving a 135i and a 7 Series; I have yet to own a Mercedes-made car.
i think you are on wrong forum... there are 3-4 of us here that are fanboys... Batman is not, and he was giving his honest opinions... if you look through his post history, you will realize that.

Besides, reliability is not that hard to check... heck, it is one of the few things on the car that can be objective and easy to check.
The following users liked this post:
ganyamilo (02-07-21)
Old 01-31-12, 08:57 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
i think if you re-read the original post, you'll notice that the initial question was :

"How do you think the 2013 GS reliability will stack up against these cars: "

not about which car was better, or what pros/cons each car had, or what each had to offer
Yes, but if you re-check, you will see that I was responding to Batman's statement that the GS will be the best and BMW will be the worst.
Old 01-31-12, 08:57 AM
clambros
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... with degrees from my undergraduate and law schools on the wall.

.. I enjoy healthy debates, but I need more than just an opinion...
I would be we have a litigator in our mist :-)

Gotta love litigators .. where else does one get paid to argue with people ??

(I Should have taken the bar exams)

Quick Reply: 2013 GS Reliability