Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 03:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics

I went to the Lexus of North Miami launch event today. Here are my takeaways:

Stunning interior, Butterface
  1. The interior is fantastic. Way better than Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti or Jaguar. On par with BMW (some better bits, some worse bits)
  2. I like that the HUD has RPM, although the HUD display is small and monochrome - nowhere near as up to date as the BMW full color large HUD
  3. The luxury package version is gorgeous. I think these are the best seats I have encountered on a luxury car - better than the vaunted BMW seats. Also the wood trim is top notch - I criticized the 3GS trim as being Camry like, but this wood trim is world class. I love the wood steering wheel. One of the best wheels out there.
  4. The F-Sport package interior looks cheap. They should have an F-Sport luxury package. Also the seats on the F-Sport are not as good as the Luxury package. They lack the pivot on the seat back, and the passenger seat only has very basic adjustment. Also no rear AC controls and no wood trim on F-Sport model. Also the steering wheel on F-Sport is pretty crumby - not thick like BMW's M-Sport wheel, and yet it doesn't have the gorgeous wood wheel of the basic model. I think they made a mistake here - the 535i M-Sport has a much nicer interior than the GS350 F-Sport, and only because on the BMW you can get upgraded leather, wood trim, 18 way seats all round, rear AC controls, etc.
  5. They didn't let me drive one (only had corporate cars - said I could come back on Friday and drive an inventory car. However they took me for a ride in the front passenger seat and it appears to drive very well. Handling is excellent - clearly in BMW/Audi camp and way better than the Infiniti or Mercedes - it feels very planted. Importantly there are no rattles - the car feels really solid like a German car. Also the sound of the engine is superb - really engages you.
  6. Excellent sound system. Probably best in class.
  7. The tactile remote touch interface on this model works really well. I hated it on the HS, but I love it on the GS.
  8. The GPS does not let passenger program it while car is in motion - Seriously WTF!
  9. Some nice bonus details - adjustable side bolsters on luxury package and F-Sport drivers seat, butterfly headrests, RPM on HUD, huge trunk, very nice quality wood trim and aluminum trim, the clock. Also switchgear looks Lexus - don't see any Toyota switchgear here.
  10. Some things which are still omissions (a bit cheap) - headrests are still not electrically adjustable, sunroof screen is not electric, no electric trunk, lack of soft-close doors, passenger seat on F-Sport model, lack of four zone climate, lack of surround cameras, retro map graphics, etc.
  11. The car is so ugly - honestly if I was Akio, I would find the designer and torture him to death Caligula style. This car will sell maybe 50% of what it could sell if it had a vaguely decent exterior design. It looks like a generic cheap Japanese car on the outside. The taillights and headlights in particular look bog standard - they could be on an Acura or Honda.
  12. Can't wait to take a test drive
  13. I won't be in market for a GSF. This car is just too ugly and there is nothing the F Dept can do to change that. My next car will be M6 Gran Coupe.

I took a lot of pics, including a side by side versus my beautiful (but very dirty and unwashed) 550i.

GS is shorter by distance you see in this photo

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 03:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Old 02-01-12, 03:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

F-Sport Passenger seat (missing lots of stuff)

F-Sport Driver's seat (missing vertical mid-pivot)

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 03:35 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics and your impressions. The images comparing it to your 5er aren't loading, would love to see them.
Old 02-01-12, 03:36 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice pics! that red one looks ferocious.
Old 02-01-12, 03:45 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol I'm stopping by there tomorrow on my way home from work. They look absolutely stunning.
Old 02-01-12, 03:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Thanks for the pics and your impressions. The images comparing it to your 5er aren't loading, would love to see them.
They are showing up when I look. The first 5 pictures. Is anyone else unable to see side-by-side of GS and BMW?

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 04:29 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see only one of the side by side of the rear comparison pictures
Old 02-01-12, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
They are showing up when I look. The first 5 pictures. Is anyone else unable to see side-by-side of GS and BMW?
i only see the first picture, then bunch dead ones

thanks for all the info, awesome, tons of great stuff there!

a few questions and notes
- there are cars with electronic roof screens now? haven't seen any, that would be cool
- electric trunk, i thought 4gs has electric trunk opening and closing? maybe you mean you can't close the trunk from inside the car?
- rear cabin size, how would you rate it in person, compared to your gs460, when the front seats are in driving positions?
- i like the aluminum trim on the fsport, though definitely better if they have more freedom on choices
Old 02-01-12, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

F-Sport is basically a combo of luxury + sports features... it is same price as luxury package so obviously you cant have it both for same price :-). IMHO, it is good mix between luxury and sports, as most features are driver oriented.

What that product sheet from dealer showed was that F-Sport is expected to be only 12% of the mix, hence the limit probably... I would not be surprised if they limited it because GS-F is coming, which will probably be option to chose if you want $70k+ GS.
Old 02-01-12, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

also, thanks a lot for great pics... i get everything but the comparo pics.
Old 02-01-12, 04:54 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Batman,

DO you think the non F-sport front looks better than this? I do not find the car that ugly but in a way it can be pronounced in the front on the F-sport. My 2011 535i had a nice design to it like yours but it was simple and classic looking that will last a long time. The GS on the other hand has an aggressive design but is tamed down nicely on the regular version and I believe it will sell very well as it is "different." The Grand Coupe is dead stunning but until BMW sorts out the runflat issues and the suspension set-up and the numb steering wheel along with poor drivetrain vibration problems (malfunctions etc), I am staying away from them for now and sticking with Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, and Lexus.
Old 02-01-12, 05:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Here are the images uploaded to imgur:

*see original thread post*

I think the GS holds its own, but still not on par with your considerably more expensive 550i. I think had the GS grill slats been chrome like with the 5er, and it had the 450h headlights, the GS would be on par.

What's really unexpected is the size of the GS compared to the 5er. While it's shorter, overall it looks chunkier and larger. Maybe because it rides higher?

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-01-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 05:21 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics! But I really dont like the new GS. I still cant figure why, but I think they went overboard with the aggressive front end, and bland interior.
Old 02-01-12, 05:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

PS of GS with chrome grill:

Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics-bjv0y.jpg

Quick Reply: Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics