GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Audi A6 vs. Lexus GS [56k Warning]

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 10:03 AM
Tropical41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that this photographs are taken by caranddriver.com. However I can only find small part if the revew, when will the complete comparison will come out?

Olso I wish Lexus had provided F-sport model for this comparison, or at GS with luxury seats and wood steering wheel.
Old 02-04-12, 01:23 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropical41
I see that this photographs are taken by caranddriver.com. However I can only find small part if the revew, when will the complete comparison will come out?

Olso I wish Lexus had provided F-sport model for this comparison, or at GS with luxury seats and wood steering wheel.
It is weird because comparo says its cars between 50k-60k. By looking at the pictures that premium GS is either just under 50k or a little above if they added Navigation and couple of electro aids like LKA, BSM. They could have easily taken F-Sport or Luxury and still be under 60k. Maybe they want to make the case that its close to 10 grands cheaper than Audi or they just want to slam it.
Old 02-04-12, 02:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Since it's C&D, I'd go with the latter.
Old 02-04-12, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

It is probably some weird combo of equipment from preproduction units, but since CAR AND DRIVER so often writes how they rate the sportiness of the car the most, it is really disappointing that they did not use F-Sport but rather base version that is not really about what C&D looks in the car.

F-Sport is not expensive and can be found under 60k with navigation and pretty nice options.
Old 02-04-12, 02:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The First Drive Review online at C&D was favorable towards the car.
Old 02-04-12, 06:08 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is probably some weird combo of equipment from preproduction units, but since CAR AND DRIVER so often writes how they rate the sportiness of the car the most, it is really disappointing that they did not use F-Sport but rather base version that is not really about what C&D looks in the car.

F-Sport is not expensive and can be found under 60k with navigation and pretty nice options.
It has leather steering wheel so its either base or premium. I doubt its luxury model with switched wheels. I dont understand what they tried to do here since Audi is a Premium Plus model with Sport Package as you can tell by the selection of 19' wheels. This is going to be fun.
Old 02-04-12, 06:46 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Great photos, those GS wheels are ugly!! but everything else looks legits. I don't think the back window of Audi's will ever win me anytime soon.
Old 02-04-12, 07:06 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found the article:
http://archive.caranddriver.com/revi...mparison_tests

Our test car was a standard GS350, with $7440 worth of options, including a navigation/premium audio package ($1735); a precollision system with adaptive cruise control ($2000); a set of 18-inch wheels wearing summer tires ($865); and a Premium package (heated/ventilated front seats, power rear sunshade, rain-sensing wipers, $1400). Grand total: $55,215, a little less than the A6, a difference attributable to the Audi’s all-wheel drive.
The article isn't very detailed (they haven't even listed the Audi's as tested price), and when you bash the GS for subjective things like "muddled styling", you're out to bash the car from the get go regardless of reality.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-04-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 07:23 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I've found the article:
http://archive.caranddriver.com/revi...mparison_tests

The article isn't very detailed (they haven't even listed the Audi's as tested price), and when you bash the GS for subjective things like "muddled styling", you're out to bash the car from the get go regardless of reality.
Wonder how the GS would have done in the handling scores if the F-sport package was chosen. Still would be under $60,000 as specified by C&D.
Old 02-04-12, 07:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Wonder how the GS would have done in the handling scores if the F-sport package was chosen. Still would be under $60,000 as specified by C&D.
They list in their test sheet that the A6 was $57,470. I wish they mentioned the options the A6 was equipped with, that is in addition to the $4220 premium plus package. They said the GS felt the sportier of the two despite the handling scores (no doubt helped by the A6's larger tires).
Old 02-05-12, 03:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

They managed to find "fully loaded" Premium model, combo that very few will pick instead of Luxury or F-Sport. Actually that is the only combo that doesnt make any sense in terms of value. Correct me if I am wrong but Premium models don't even come with Sport+ mode on the dial.

What a waste of comparison.
Old 02-05-12, 07:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
They managed to find "fully loaded" Premium model, combo that very few will pick instead of Luxury or F-Sport. Actually that is the only combo that doesnt make any sense in terms of value. Correct me if I am wrong but Premium models don't even come with Sport+ mode on the dial.

What a waste of comparison.
yep... who would add 2k ACC and $900 for the wheels to the base car, and not use the money towards luxury or f-sport? They ended up with the car thats same price as Luxury.

in any case, Lexus did well... actually scored better on fun to drive scores... and objective handling and stopping scores would be a lot different with F-Sport.
Old 02-05-12, 08:38 AM
Tropical41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable top of the line supercharged quattro A6 on 19 inch wheels not as much fun to drive as Lexus.
Emagen if Lexus had
#1 adaptive variable suspension, that would improve ride quality and handling
#2 19 inch staggered wheels
#3 VGRS variable Sport steering
#4 18 way of FSport seats with semi-an aline leather
#5 FSport with AWD
Those available Options could still keep the price under $60k
Old 02-07-12, 02:13 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those photos kind of made me want an A6. The rear of the GS makes me want to fall asleep.

I like Lexus and all, but I agree with what others are saying in that there is a disconnect between the front and rear of the new GS.
Old 02-07-12, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drive90
Those photos kind of made me want an A6. The rear of the GS makes me want to fall asleep.

I like Lexus and all, but I agree with what others are saying in that there is a disconnect between the front and rear of the new GS.
rear of A6 and A4 make me want to kill myself... j/k of course, but it is some weird sad face at the butt of Audi... much worse than front. And problem with Audi fronts is that you are not looking at it sitting down on the road, like the pics, which do look great. But in real life, you lose a lot of the details because of that.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 vs. Lexus GS [56k Warning]