GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Batman's Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 10:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on guys it's his honest opinion of the car. We can agree or disagree. I think it's worthy coming from a Lexus owner and it being non biased. If I recall batman made a move from BMW to purchase his GS. That says a lot about the GS IMO!

There is no V8 offered to compare things to. It's to bad !exus dropped the ball in this area. They need something even if it's FI but ideally the ISF engine would be perfect IMO. Heck even Hyundai offers a V8 and stepped up the game this past year stuffing a little more under the hood. Come on Lexus give us a V8!!!!!

Last edited by passnu2; 02-06-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 12:20 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not too surprising that Batman was un-impressed. He bought a very expensive twin turbo
V8 and then still dropped a big chunk of change with Dinan to make it match what he likes better...

I understand that, although a bit rich for my current budget. However a F-sport would be more to his liking for handling and exceeds it's targeted competitors the BMW 535 and the E350 and competes well with the Audi as well... Excellent for a new model out of the gate and we expect more for next year. And when the GSF arrives.....

His Dinan stage 2 550 is in a different league... and for the price, it should be..
As to weight, heck yes it matters.. I have the most fun in my Wife’s little tuned manual Z3 2.8 pocket rocket verses my tweaked E39 M-tech v8 6spd.... and the e39 is considerably lighter than the current F-10 5'er... but I do wish mine was as quick as Batmans...
Old 02-06-12, 12:32 PM
itruns
Driver

As to the engine sounds being increased, folks complained that the GS was to quite so Lexus has a Tube running from the engine compartment to the interior so you can hear the engine... If you do not like the sound, I'd bet it is fairly easy to block or disable it....

To get engine sounds in the current BMW, they have a recording of engine sounds that play over the speakers in the car... Some folks are already trying to re-record the sounds to a more exciting engine sound... like maybe an F1 car as it is just a recording anyway.. Me, I would just pull fuse #20 in the trunk and do away with that silliness.. Reminds me of the Honda/ricer kids with the fake blow-off valves to make noise so people think that they have a turbo….
Old 02-06-12, 12:51 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
As to the engine sounds being increased, folks complained that the GS was to quite so Lexus has a Tube running from the engine compartment to the interior so you can hear the engine... If you do not like the sound, I'd bet it is fairly easy to block or disable it....

To get engine sounds in the current BMW, they have a recording of engine sounds that play over the speakers in the car... Some folks are already trying to re-record the sounds to a more exciting engine sound... like maybe an F1 car as it is just a recording anyway.. Me, I would just pull fuse #20 in the trunk and do away with that silliness.. Reminds me of the Honda/ricer kids with the fake blow-off valves to make noise so people think that they have a turbo….
In terms of the history - the concept of the tube to bring sound into the interior was used by BMW years ago in the original Z4.

The recording of engine sounds is only used on the F10 M5, not in the regular F10 5 series cars. Most of those who complain about these recorded sounds have not driven an F10 M5 - the car is not out in the US. I was lucky enough to fly to Seville, Spain to drive the F10 M5 for a day, and I actually love the recorded sound. It's really good. However it is possible to drive the M5 quietly too if you keep the revs down (which isn't hard when you have 720nm Torque)

To be fair the sound in the Lexus is almost as good as the recorded sound - it is very good. But my point was that many people (including me) don't want to have a noisy car for day to day use. I like being able to floor the accelerator in my GS460 and not have it be a massive event. What Lexus has done with the sound on the new GS makes it more like an M car sound than a regular luxury sedan sound. i.e. it is a little too loud under full throttle.
Old 02-06-12, 01:09 PM
itruns
Driver

The Lexus sounds like an easy one to "adjust" to your taste....verses cracking BMW's recording... but I'm sure someone will figure it out soon enough.

I just don't get a recording?? Why not the real engine sound? They always sounded good to me... even the Sewing machine i6's...

Spain, new M5... ok I’m officially jealous... I thought I was lucky to drive some modern Italian cars when we were in Italy last summer... sadly no real exotics though.. but fun all the same
Old 02-06-12, 01:18 PM
LexFather

The updated Hyundai Genesis coupe also has an engine sound recording. Sorry its lame as hell like its Lame Lexus dropped the V-8 and EVO even noted how whack that is to have a recorded sound in a M5. If Lexus had a "recording" of engine sound every internet blogger and review would state how Lexus lacks soul and it was ridiculous.

I'm really confused b/c it sounds like Lexus basically out BMW'd a BMW and now those attributes are not desirable and instead what made a Lexus is Lexus is now in a BMW and now that is desirable. I said it months ago, we live in a crazy world today where Lexus is sportier than BMW in some ways, BMW is softer and more luxurious in some ways, we have V-8 Hyundais, under 8 minute lapping Camaro's, $65,000 Jeep's etc etc. What an interesting time for cars even as they seem to be all headed to middle ground!

Years ago a few of us talked about how all the brands are merging in qualities and its very abundant here in the case of the GS/5 where the cars have seemingly switched priorities or at least leaned very hard into each others territory, noted by Car & Driver as well.

Amazing times we live in!
Old 02-06-12, 01:25 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Just some objective handling figures comparing the F-sport 4GS vs the non-sport 550i(courtesy of Motortrend):

Braking F-sport 60-0 : 105ft
Braking 550i 60-0 : 116ft
Skidpad F-sport : .91g
Skidpad 550i : .86g
Figure 8 slalom F-sport : 25.7sec @ 0.7g
Figure 8 slalom 550i : 26.1sec @ 0.7g

There's no getting around the fact that the nose heavy V8 and the additional mass of the BMW has negatively affected the BMW's handling. We can talk about subjective feel all we like but the numbers speak for themselves. The only 2 unknown varables we have to take account in considering why Batman feels that his 550i handles better than the F-sport is
1) He test drove the non F-sport 4GS
2) His 550i has the M-sport and rear-steer package which I assume will improve the 5 series' handling numbers

Do remember though that in the latest Automobile/Motortrend assessment( http://www.motortrend.com/lexusgschallenge/ ),
the M-sport 535i which is lighter than the 550i LOST the handling comparo to the F-sport 4GS.
Old 02-06-12, 01:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I think it's great they went sportier with the GS! I can't wait to drive one! Leave the quiet luxury ride for the LS and ES IMO. Just hoping they release a V8 with next years model.
Old 02-06-12, 02:12 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As compared to Batman,

I had a 2011 BMW 535i xdrive with base suspension. No Dinan or active rear steering. And the car felt like a boat and very numb compared to the new GS which trumps it even in BASE VERSION!
Old 02-06-12, 02:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by itruns
As to the engine sounds being increased, folks complained that the GS was to quite so Lexus has a Tube running from the engine compartment to the interior so you can hear the engine... If you do not like the sound, I'd bet it is fairly easy to block or disable it.... .

I’m sorry... But this statement is semi - inaccurate... !!

Lexus made a larger "Resonator Chamber" to produce more of a robust sound in the higher RPM's and throttle blips..
The chamber is attached to the Intake Pipe and its located under the engine cover..

Although there has been no official statement, the design seems to be "Helmholtz Resonance" based... In my honest opinion..!!

There is absolutely NO tube running to the interior from the engine compartment..

See this Video around 2:10 seconds for visual assistance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVyPTyTa9U

Besides I'm already R&D'ing an Intake & Exhaust system for this beauty!!!
For more Power & Sound naturally....

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-06-12 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 02:34 PM
itruns
Driver

Just popped the hood on a F-sport... the "tube" Lexus talked about comes off the back of the larger resonator, A large open tube about 2" in diameter and is directed at the cabin air inlet to pass the sound, esp. over 4000 rpm. It would take 30 seconds to either plug this tube... or 2-3min's to remove it, along with the larger resonator and block it off...
But I like the sound…So Joe Z let me know when your pipe is available…. My wife likes the JoeZ pipe on her IS350… I just wish we had your full dual exhaust as well!
Old 02-06-12, 02:40 PM
itruns
Driver

And Joe, it does look like a Helmholtz resonator ... so you know the geeks on here (ME) will have to play with neck size and lengths to see it we can "tune the noise"…..
Old 02-06-12, 04:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Just some objective handling figures comparing the F-sport 4GS vs the non-sport 550i(courtesy of Motortrend):

Braking F-sport 60-0 : 105ft
Braking 550i 60-0 : 116ft
Skidpad F-sport : .91g
Skidpad 550i : .86g
Figure 8 slalom F-sport : 25.7sec @ 0.7g
Figure 8 slalom 550i : 26.1sec @ 0.7g

There's no getting around the fact that the nose heavy V8 and the additional mass of the BMW has negatively affected the BMW's handling. We can talk about subjective feel all we like but the numbers speak for themselves. The only 2 unknown varables we have to take account in considering why Batman feels that his 550i handles better than the F-sport is
1) He test drove the non F-sport 4GS
2) His 550i has the M-sport and rear-steer package which I assume will improve the 5 series' handling numbers

Do remember though that in the latest Automobile/Motortrend assessment( http://www.motortrend.com/lexusgschallenge/ ),
the M-sport 535i which is lighter than the 550i LOST the handling comparo to the F-sport 4GS.
as much as I understand, he doesnt care about handling anywhere close as to actual power, hence the opinion.
Old 02-06-12, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
To be fair the sound in the Lexus is almost as good as the recorded sound - it is very good.
i understand what you are saying (they probably want you to try LS or ES then :P), but I just found it funny that real engine sound is "almost as good" as fake one :-).

In reality, i think they wanted to show the sporty character AND the fact that in daily driving you will not flog it anywhere as much as during test drive where everyone just goes at full WOT.
Old 02-06-12, 06:00 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
- No Auto Handbrake. BMW and Audi have this feature where it automatically applies handbrake when you are in drive but standstill. It saves the need to keep your foot on the brake when standstill at lights or in traffic. I love this feature and was disappointed Lexus does not offer it in the GS but only in the LS.
Actually it does maybe you didnt see it but I saw it, its located near the knee airbag. Like on the LS. I do agree with you about it being a little sluggish, the pedal feel was def. requirig more force. The throaty sound did sound great, and I loved the way it sounded. The interior looked great and was the best I think. It being less better than a BMW and Audi cant see that, it is about the same no way shape or form although we dont have a 5 series I think the 2011 X3 drives very similar to the 5 series, I agree it lacks a little enjoyment, the steering I also agree with felt like I corrected a few times while driving. I would still take the GS Fsport, but the numbers in hp are sad and they need to find a V8 to bring back. Also Apprently we also lose the electronic side view mirror option they have taken it out, that sucks.

Quick Reply: Batman's Test Drive