GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Batman's Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 12:27 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't tried LF-A or new GS but Lexus that I always admired for comfort/involvement in handling was 2006+ SC430. No bodyroll, so confident and yet so smooth and plushy. Lexus had the winning formula five years ago and if they translated it to new GS it would be a winner for me.

IS and IS-F ride very differently to SC430 almost EVO like which is not bad at all, actually I love that and for a car like that it's fitting. On GS I would expect more plush while being tight at the same time.

New 5er got it almost right but it lost a bit of neutrality and linearity, it dives a lot, my opinion. I like stiff steering as well but I don't like when it transfers the road surface straight into my hands, something car mags look for in their short drive reviews but that thing get very tiring after a while, so new 5er got that right as well. To be honest Lexus had steering like that for like forever and they always got slammed for it while indeed creating a neutral steering feedback is a very hard thing to do. Lexus steering was just tad too light and for my preference I hope they made it tighter in new GS.
Old 02-08-12, 02:00 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Sorry but you can't expect me to take you seriously if you make ridiculous statements like this. I owned a 2009 ES350 until December, and there is no comparison. The ES handling is a joke.

Statements like that indicate substantial bias. There is no point discussing.
Ok, maybe that was a bit of a stretch…the ES is not a drivers car.. but just reflects my level of disappointment with the F10 535i I drove. While you were driving down the road if you rock the wheel back and forth it wallows like a overweight pig…. Something I haven’t experienced before with BMW’s… Biased? I guess so, I’ve had over 20 BMWs… starting with a BMW 2000 (model not year) then a 2002tii, then a 3.0csi, those all while I lived in Germany..(2 older ‘benz’s during that time as well, only one c36 since I’ve been back to the states) then e36’s, e28’s e32 e39’s e46’s e90 ect… while all of them were not the top of their class (only 2 “M’s”, but I did get to drive a real M1 in 1979 while still in Germany… I couldn’t afford it and it didn’t look like any other BMW I’d seen) although I loved the power and handling of my wife’s e90 ’07 335… the third time the hpfp put her down we got rid of it and she went back to driving her older’03 e46 330 until repairs became too expensive and common.. Then we bought our first Lexus for her. So I’d say I have a lot more experience with BMW’s than any other brand… and being a car nut, I’ve had a lot of cars… Feb of ’09 we had 5 BMW’s in the drive… we are down to 2 BMW’s and 1 Lexus… If the BMWs were not paid for and “special” I’d probably trade mine for a GS F-sport… I just hate the idea of a car payment or stroking a big check in this economy when I have 2 nice, paid for cars and a car payment (Lexus)…. First one in many years….

All that being said I’m sure I would love to drive yours!

And if you check my posts in the IS forums you will see where I needed to make my wife’s IS350 more like her BMW’s in some ways…Luckily some Lexus F-sport parts handled that for me. With the 4g GS F-sport… I didn’t see anything to change that Lexus already hadn’t… I like it much better that the 3GS… still not perfect, but I’ve never found a car that was..
Old 02-08-12, 04:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing how how the 4GS is the most sporty among the competiters. From the mags, 4GS>A6>5>E. Wow.
Old 02-08-12, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Amazing how how the 4GS is the most sporty among the competiters. From the mags, 4GS>A6>5>E. Wow.
yep... just needs V8 now... there you go, I said it :-).

Although I cant wait for people to try 450h... I might be European (and 350 is more than enough here), but I do believe that 450h with its stunning mid range acceleration, and 32 MPG, will really be the best compromise for most users out there.
Old 02-08-12, 05:29 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V8+7-8 Speed trans, on V6 model, has updated engine 330+HP, then it's perfect.
Old 02-08-12, 10:40 PM
caco666
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Test drove the GS 350 F Sport and it definitely has an Auto Break feature. The button is on the arm rest. Once active it will indicate it's on auto mode on the front console.

As for my impressions. Best combination of Luxury and Performance at this segment. If you want more performance at this price, go BMW but you'll give up a lot in the luxury dept.

Having driven this vehicle, I've decided to go with the ISF because performance is my number one factor at this point. Still would not mind owning a GS 350 F Sport at all after my experience today.
Old 02-08-12, 11:50 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
you know what they say, opinions are like..... and everyone has one :-)
Lol, my professor in my Sales Marketing class (last term) kept on saying and emphasizing that.

With that, it would be great to graduate as a stuent of Marketing Management

P.S.
Anyways, where's the GS-F 500 HP?

Old 02-09-12, 04:15 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caco666
Test drove the GS 350 F Sport and it definitely has an Auto Break feature. The button is on the arm rest. Once active it will indicate it's on auto mode on the front console.

As for my impressions. Best combination of Luxury and Performance at this segment. If you want more performance at this price, go BMW but you'll give up a lot in the luxury dept.

Having driven this vehicle, I've decided to go with the ISF because performance is my number one factor at this point. Still would not mind owning a GS 350 F Sport at all after my experience today.
Any is redesign is coming soon! I guess isf is in the same as GS price league, but I want to see GS class interior.
Old 02-09-12, 06:01 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by caco666

The only "auto" brake feature that I've seem is the auto PARKING brake.
Old 02-09-12, 06:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... just needs V8 now... there you go, I said it :-).

Although I cant wait for people to try 450h... I might be European (and 350 is more than enough here), but I do believe that 450h with its stunning mid range acceleration, and 32 MPG, will really be the best compromise for most users out there.
and the engine bay has TONS of room for a V-8 or turbo etc..there is so much room with just the V-6 inside. I am really hoping they have a GS F coming.