GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 F-sport test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 05:31 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Sorry but you're not being very consistent here. First you judged the GS as "not-a-performance" car as it did not meet a certain number (400hp) without having driven the car but when I pull out performance handling numbers, you now say that numbers don't tell the whole story. Or are you saying that power/hp figures tell the full story but not handling figures?

But I get your point about magazine racing. The best assessment is when one gets behind the wheel and actually drives the car personally. Which is probably the point I've been trying to make: falling back on tired old stereotypes, depending on paper numbers, judging a car/brand by who drives it, all are equally unreliable in making a fair assessment and smacks of intellectual dishonesty/laziness.
I have not been inconsistent at all. You seem to be forgetting that I own a 2010 GS with the virtually identical powertrain as the new car, so I am able to judge the performance of the car from the standpoint of acceleration. The performance figures being quoted by Lexus for the new car are identical to performance figures for the car I have now (straight line).

I'm actually very pleased with the straight line performance of my Lexus for what I bought the car for - a daily driver being used in Houston. But two points I have already made. One is that the expectations change on a car that is now being marketed as an enthusiasts car designed to go head to head with BMW, Audi etc, all of which are available with significantly more power than the new Lexus.

Secondly, I am in great hopes of my next car having more acceleration than my current car because I'm getting ready to sell my 505 hp Corvette and I would like to have something that helps me forget about that car (a little tongue in cheek - I also have three motorcycles, two of which are faster than my Z06).

I think many of us are on the same page overall...and as someone else mentioned, I think we are having a fun debate here without getting into a pissing match. I like that!
Old 02-11-12, 06:36 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
definitely go drive it. since day 1, i said i want to drive this car, and i am glad i did. it brings back my long lost feeling on driving my gs400
Yep, I'll definitely take the car for a drive. So far everyone has positive things to say about this gen model. So, are you planning to return from the dark side anytime soon ? I know you not fond of the exterior, but it's nothing an aftermarket body kit can't fix
Old 02-11-12, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Yep, I'll definitely take the car for a drive. So far everyone has positive things to say about this gen model. So, are you planning to return from the dark side anytime soon ? I know you not fond of the exterior, but it's nothing an aftermarket body kit can't fix
short answer right now is no. my problem with the car is power. given the suspension, driving dynamics, and driving feel, the car needs more power to get into the real fun segment for me. i mean, if during the test drive i already felt the car was too "slow" to match up with the handling, how am i going to survive through daily driving?

i hate to say but i think i am more of a v8 person. outside of the is300, my gs350 was the only other 6 cylinders we have had. my other cars were gs400, sc430, ls460l, m3, and now s550. the gs350 is not slow at all, but the way it accelerate is different, even when putting my old gs400 (which is slower) together as comparison. sometimes there is just no replacement for displacement.

on the exterior, we will see. keep in mind i like the 5-axis car a lot
Old 02-12-12, 04:22 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Agreed on the exterior design of the F-sport. Looking at full frontal is okay. But looking from front angle, it has no flow whatsoever with the rest of the body design. This picture pretty much says it all for me.
Old 02-12-12, 11:27 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove the GS350-F sport package in all driving mode from eco to sport S+ yesterday. Speaking from my 09 IS350, the car does not have a quick response performance level as a compact IS350. The steering feel just too light when turning. There is just no comparision. IS350 have more sporty performance and quick punch than the GS350-F. This is obviously answer to whoever want a real sport luxury sedan vs luxury sport sedan. My decision to upgrade to newer bigger and luxury GS350F from S350 is postpone for now until lexus has a real GSF to satisfy my driving feel. I'm still more into better performance than hitech luxury look at this point. No doubt, the new GS350 has all the new greatest and latest gadget on the market at this point but I will take a test drive on the improved 2011/2012 ISF to see how it goes.
..... In searching for an upgrade to ISF or GS350-F

Last edited by ISF350; 02-12-12 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ISF350
I test drove the GS350-F sport package in all driving mode from eco to sport S+ yesterday. Speaking from my 09 IS350, the car does not have a quick response performance level as a compact IS350. The steering feel just too light when turning. There is just no comparision. IS350 have more sporty performance and quick punch than the GS350-F. This is obviously answer to whoever want a real sport luxury sedan vs luxury sport sedan. My decision to upgrade to newer bigger and luxury GS350F from S350 is postpone for now until lexus has a real GSF to satisfy my driving feel. I'm still more into better performance than hitech luxury look at this point. No doubt, the new GS350 has all the new greatest and latest gadget on the market at this point but I will take a test drive on the improved 2011/2012 ISF to see how it goes.
..... In searching for an upgrade to ISF or GS350-F
you should just stay within the IS or wait for true F models. the gs is a mid size sedan and things have to be adjusted accordingly. even if you compare between normal 3 and 5, or normal c and e, or if you even move up to 7 and s, the steering does gradually get lighter. it's to adapt to different market and target audience.

but i do agree on the throttle punch. i still think is350 has a more sensitive throttle, but the new gs350 throttle is better than 3gs350
Old 02-13-12, 12:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

rominl, thank you for the GREAT review, you answer all of my question for the 4GS and now I don't even have to go look at the car anymore. It is everything I suspected too from all the reviews I read.

One thing maybe you can tell me, sure it is fun to drive, it is easy to make a car feels nimble and agile, just make everything stiff. But how is the ride in the soft mode, is it harsh at all? The biggest complain from Car and Driver mag is the ride is harsh.
Old 02-13-12, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
rominl, thank you for the GREAT review, you answer all of my question for the 4GS and now I don't even have to go look at the car anymore. It is everything I suspected too from all the reviews I read.

One thing maybe you can tell me, sure it is fun to drive, it is easy to make a car feels nimble and agile, just make everything stiff. But how is the ride in the soft mode, is it harsh at all? The biggest complain from Car and Driver mag is the ride is harsh.
in normal setting, i think the car rides fairly reasonable, i don't think it's harsh at all. i actually think it's probably a little harsher than the e350 overall and maybe like 535

but if you crank it up to S+, as i mentioned in the review, get ready because you feel everything. we went over some "jumps" uneven road during the test drive and car was in S+. i felt that in my spine
Old 02-13-12, 02:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

in normal setting, i think the car rides fairly reasonable, i don't think it's harsh at all. i actually think it's probably a little harsher than the e350 overall and maybe like 535

but if you crank it up to S+, as i mentioned in the review, get ready because you feel everything. we went over some "jumps" uneven road during the test drive and car was in S+. i felt that in my spine
Thanks, that's good to know.

It is cool when different settings feels noticeably different. That's how you can tell the good from the bad. The adjustable suspension in the Equus feels the same in both modes, it just get harsher
Old 02-13-12, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks, that's good to know.

It is cool when different settings feels noticeably different. That's how you can tell the good from the bad. The adjustable suspension in the Equus feels the same in both modes, it just get harsher
i agree, i prefer to actually feel the difference. all the avs systems on lexus before this (make it gs or ls or sc), the changes were too marginal
Old 02-13-12, 02:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i agree, i prefer to actually feel the difference. all the avs systems on lexus before this (make it gs or ls or sc), the changes were too marginal
Yes I agreed they were all pretty marginal, the one stood up in my memories though, was the 3-GS430 avs was pretty effective, is comfy in normal mode and firms up noticeably in sport mode. That was one thing that made me wanted that car. But at the end, GS is no match to the LS when my priority was refinements.

Hey is the active sway bar available on the 4GS? That was one feature I found very impressive on the GS450h.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-13-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes I agreed they were all pretty marginal, the one stood up in my memories though, was the 3-GS430 avs was pretty effective, is comfy in normal mode and firms up noticeably in sport mode. That was one thing that made me wanted that car. But at the end, GS is no match to the LS when my priority was refinements.

Hey is the active sway bar available on the 4GS? That was one feature I found very impressive on the GS450h.
no more such feature as far as i know. but the new rear steer system should be very interesting. i hope some day i can try this configuration.
Old 02-13-12, 03:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

no more such feature as far as i know.
I thought so, I think only the initial few batches of GS450h had it. I drove one with it on an autoX, zero body roll, it felt like it has huge aftermarket sway bar It was a $6k option, I guess no body wanted to pay for it.

but the new rear steer system should be very interesting. i hope some day i can try this configuration.
I had rear wheel steering on my 02' R34 GTR, super hicas in Nissan lingo..........SUPER fun feature, I loved it From reading the rear steer system on the 4GS, it works the same way as my old GTR, so my guess is it would be fun.
Old 02-13-12, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I thought so, I think only the initial few batches of GS450h had it. I drove one with it on an autoX, zero body roll, it felt like it has huge aftermarket sway bar It was a $6k option, I guess no body wanted to pay for it.

I had rear wheel steering on my 02' R34 GTR, super hicas in Nissan lingo..........SUPER fun feature, I loved it From reading the rear steer system on the 4GS, it works the same way as my old GTR, so my guess is it would be fun.
yes, it was an expensive but amazing feature. definitely a lot of cars don't have that feature, not to mention you lose the whole spare wheel well area for computer

the rear steer option is "only" 1400 or so, i think that's worth the money
Old 02-13-12, 04:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

yes, it was an expensive but amazing feature. definitely a lot of cars don't have that feature, not to mention you lose the whole spare wheel well area for computer
That car don't come with a spare wheel anyway, why do anyone want the well? For subwoofer?

the rear steer option is "only" 1400 or so, i think that's worth the money
everything is fun, more is better

Quick Reply: GS350 F-sport test drive review