GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 F-sport test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 12:29 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned BMW and currently own a Lexus.
For pure driving excitement BMW has it right, for luxury, Lexus takes the edge. For practicality and enough "sport" for me, I commute 100 miles per day, I will take the 4GS luxury package. If I want pure performance with some luxury, I'd go with a 550. If I want nice luxury appointments and reliability, I'd go with Lexus. To me, the 4GS F-Sport is neither here nor there.

Wish they would improve the Lexus Nav, it's a POS compared to a hand held, Garmin. Just saying
Old 02-15-12, 12:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
I've owned BMW and currently own a Lexus.
For pure driving excitement BMW has it right, for luxury, Lexus takes the edge. For practicality and enough "sport" for me, I commute 100 miles per day, I will take the 4GS luxury package. If I want pure performance with some luxury, I'd go with a 550. If I want nice luxury appointments and reliability, I'd go with Lexus. To me, the 4GS F-Sport is neither here nor there.

Wish they would improve the Lexus Nav, it's a POS compared to a hand held, Garmin. Just saying
did you actually drive new GS? I mean its NAV is most advanced you can find right now.
Old 02-15-12, 06:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

would have to disagree with the camry comparison. i do agree something is missing. i think the black plastic piece that houses the new exhaust tips should be color matched with the color of your car. only the nebula gray f-sport piece is color matched. overall i like the car, inside and out. currently upgraded from 2011 es 350 to the 2013 gs 350.
Old 02-16-12, 06:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've been flat out honest I want a GS 450h F-sport (which is not sold here) or a GS F. So i'm surely not happy here. Even with me being unhappy with what I want, it doesn't stop me from being happy with what Lexus has accomplished here.

B/C outside of a V-8 and exterior styling issues, the new GS is a ****ing home run.
+1 agreed, I've noticed there is more hate on Lexus for actually accomplishing what owners wanted, although some have been unanswered (GS-F, Minor Features) The car still looks good (F-Sport) and the interior is finally up to Lexus par. I think they have done a good job, but I think they are like Apple they take a while but when they finally make it, the product is a master piece. So hopefully I can wait patiently and hope that rep from Lexus was serious about talks of a GS-F. Until then I think Lexus deserves applause.
GS350 F-sport test drive review-applause-292x300.gif
Old 02-16-12, 07:05 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Nice car! Front is nice but mid-side to back needs to match the front.

Hate wood trim and also love power but at my point in life and owning a ISF, I rather sacrifice power for MPG! Even in my ISF, I barely step on the gas pedal because I hate watching my MPG go down.
Old 02-16-12, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
Nice car! Front is nice but mid-side to back needs to match the front.

Hate wood trim and also love power but at my point in life and owning a ISF, I rather sacrifice power for MPG! Even in my ISF, I barely step on the gas pedal because I hate watching my MPG go down.
seems like you got the wrong car. imho isf gas mileage isn't bad at all for what you get
Old 02-16-12, 10:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
seems like you got the wrong car. imho isf gas mileage isn't bad at all for what you get
I do the same thing, I buy a gas guzzler and try to get the best MPG out of it by driving as slow as I can. I need professional help
Old 02-16-12, 11:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I do the same thing, I buy a gas guzzler and try to get the best MPG out of it by driving as slow as I can. I need professional help
let in your hybrid overlords

:-)
Old 02-16-12, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol i got 16mpg in my m3 and i didn't feel a thing, i just drove it the way it's supposed to be. if i want mpg i would have gotten something else
Old 02-16-12, 11:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

lol i got 16mpg in my m3 and i didn't feel a thing, i just drove it the way it's supposed to be. if i want mpg i would have gotten something else
That's because you are rich

I don't appreciate you making fun of us penny pincher that try to save every drop of gas by hypermiling

It is tough out there and the Italia is not getting any cheaper. I have to save up for my future 8 MPG

I do get a kick out of seeing how much MPG I can squeeze out of a gas guzzler, getting 50 MPG out of a new Prius is a given. But I got 27 MPG out of my LS430 in one long trip, that was awesome! Is not about the money, is about the MPG #. I got excited yesterday reading about the new V8 Continental GT, they improved the fuel efficiency by 40% over the W12 car, the V8 get 16/24 MPG now, wooo hooo!!!

It is only fun to make something do against it's design intent. Like making a gas guzzler to get good MPG or making a Prius fast.

Yes I know I am weird. I apologize.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-16-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 12:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
let in your hybrid overlords

:-)
I want a hybrid with a V8
Old 02-16-12, 02:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That's because you are rich

I don't appreciate you making fun of us penny pincher that try to save every drop of gas by hypermiling

It is tough out there and the Italia is not getting any cheaper. I have to save up for my future 8 MPG

I do get a kick out of seeing how much MPG I can squeeze out of a gas guzzler, getting 50 MPG out of a new Prius is a given. But I got 27 MPG out of my LS430 in one long trip, that was awesome! Is not about the money, is about the MPG #. I got excited yesterday reading about the new V8 Continental GT, they improved the fuel efficiency by 40% over the W12 car, the V8 get 16/24 MPG now, wooo hooo!!!

It is only fun to make something do against it's design intent. Like making a gas guzzler to get good MPG or making a Prius fast.

Yes I know I am weird. I apologize.
lol if that's how you think about it then i admire your weird thinking cars are for what they are about. i guess that's also why people get exotics and just keep it in the garage and then when driving, instead of showing off they try to see what's the best mpg they can get

to me cars are for what they are intended for. if want to do experiment to see what you can get on mpg, sure i don't see the big deal. but if you get an isf or m3 but never go over 4000 rpm, stay slow on the gas pedal, and make sure the car does not roll one bit when it turns, then what's the point?

i am not saying one should always floor the car like no tomorrow. for example when i drive my s550 it's about leisure and enjoying the ride. when i drove my gs350 it's about the same feeling too with occasional "fun". but when i drive my m3, it's the power and handling where the car shines so i intend to utilize that. that doesn't mean i would be flooring it all the time. same with isf, if that's what i had, trying to get the most mpg wouldn't be my main goal
Old 02-16-12, 03:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

lol if that's how you think about it then i admire your weird thinking cars are for what they are about. i guess that's also why people get exotics and just keep it in the garage and then when driving, instead of showing off they try to see what's the best mpg they can get

to me cars are for what they are intended for. if want to do experiment to see what you can get on mpg, sure i don't see the big deal. but if you get an isf or m3 but never go over 4000 rpm, stay slow on the gas pedal, and make sure the car does not roll one bit when it turns, then what's the point?

i am not saying one should always floor the car like no tomorrow. for example when i drive my s550 it's about leisure and enjoying the ride. when i drove my gs350 it's about the same feeling too with occasional "fun". but when i drive my m3, it's the power and handling where the car shines so i intend to utilize that. that doesn't mean i would be flooring it all the time. same with isf, if that's what i had, trying to get the most mpg wouldn't be my main goal
Agreed 100%, I am the same way, I was just kidding.

I use every car exactly as it's design intent, like you said, I go slow in my LS430 to enjoy the ride and quiet and smoothness. That is the car I try to get the most MPG out of, I drive slow in it anyway, so why not?

But when I drive a sports car, I try to floor it as much as I can Even my current SC430 that is not fast, I floor it all the time when I drive it.
Old 02-18-12, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't owned a Lexus since my '03 G300 SportDesign and my '06 SC430, but this car has me interested. However, from what I'm reading F Sport in 2012 = L Tuned in 2003. Steering, shocks and body add-ons but no additional horsepower.

With that said, the new GS is still a contender. It made me come back to ClubLexus after 5 years!
Old 02-18-12, 09:57 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

That's what I do with the IS F, drive it in sport mode and manual - keeping RPMs higher than the computer does in auto. Clocks in at about 21 MPG when I do that.

Long distance (cruse control set at 80 MPH, AC on), LS 430 gets 27 MPG; IS F gets 28 - 29 MPG - outside of California. Shave off about 2 MPG on both cars with California gas.

Wait, what's this thread about again?

Quick Reply: GS350 F-sport test drive review