GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's more fun to drive? 2013 GS F Sport or 2012 BMW 335i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 01:54 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS for me. I would say I even get previous GS over 535. First all these BMW steering improvements make unusual feel, so you need to learn gow to dive it. Second 535 feels underpowered. I would say I would like more 7 series than GS, however for the pice I would stick with GS.
Old 02-12-12, 03:47 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Talk about people assuming they know everything when they don't! I have spent hours researching BMW 535's recently. You can find them with list prices over $70K.

Here is just a quick sampling...

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...rce=TRAIL_HEAD

I suggest you try pricing one that gets you M-Sport, ventilated seats, premium sound and other stuff that almost any other car that costs that much comes standard with - like heated seats, keyless entry etc.
By the way I priced mine out on bmwusa.com website, which I am sure is more accurate than a 3rd party source. And those are the prices I got. Anyone paying that much for a midsize sedan would have to have their head examined. Talk about blue sky over charging. Thanks for your due diligence, but it was a wasted effort since it is flawed.
Old 02-12-12, 03:53 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Are all bmw transmission made by GM?
Old 02-12-12, 03:56 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sincity,

My 2011 BMW 535i xdrive cost 61,800 MSRP with same options as a $55,900 Lexus GS.
Old 02-12-12, 04:05 PM
LexFather

I think by even having this conversation we truly are seeing how Lexus has moved the needle to past BMWs in regards to sport and new BMWs have moved the needle to past Lexus in regards to comfort.

To be honest one thing is the difference in size. I find smaller cars more fun than larger ones, there is a more intimate feel, usually less weight and less is more in regards to fun. To me this gives the 3 series an edge to the larger GS.

Its still amazing to think we are now having serious conversations on how the new GS drives sportier than BMWs. Amazing!
Old 02-12-12, 04:22 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
By the way I priced mine out on bmwusa.com website, which I am sure is more accurate than a 3rd party source. And those are the prices I got. Anyone paying that much for a midsize sedan would have to have their head examined. Talk about blue sky over charging. Thanks for your due diligence, but it was a wasted effort since it is flawed.
I priced mine on their web-site as well. I have no idea why you assumed I priced them on a third party source. In addition, I was out today and stopped by both a Lexus and BMW dealer. They had a 535 M-Sport with equipment virtually identical to a F-Sport without the premium stereos in either car, and comparing like equipped cars, the Lexus F-Sport was $10,000 less.

The difference is pretty obviously that your "due diligence" is not comparing comparably equipped cars while mine is.
Old 02-12-12, 04:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Rubbish in real world use? That makes no complete sense. It's been a solid and bulletproof powertrain for Lexus since 2005. It has outperformed BMW 330 and 335's auto trans.
not to mention it is actually... faster. As in instrumented tests. As in every possible way.

:-).
Old 02-12-12, 05:54 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3 is def more fun to drive just like IS would,,,but for 55k-60k, i will just get the certified used 09 750,,,i find few below 50k with 30-35k miles,,,my jury is still out on 4GS until test drive this Thursday,,,
Old 02-12-12, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Let me also add at this point we are kind of splitting hairs. Both are now as sporty as they get in respective classes. When things get this close it comes down to small items and personal preferences. Again to me the biggest difference is the size and the 3 will feel more intimate and sportier to me. I have yet to drive the new model.
Old 02-12-12, 09:10 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You are on a Lexus forum so everyone will say the GS350. They will also not like this post because I think their new car is not so great.

I will say the BMW, because I think the Lexus power train is complete rubbish in real-world use due to the lack of low-end torque.

It has the same problem as the 2010 Mercedes E550 - looks good on paper with lots of hp, but the lack of torque and poor transmission make the car difficult to enjoy.

GS350 0-60 5.5s 1/4 mile 14.0 sec @ 100.9mph
535i 0-60 5.5s 1/4 mile 14.1 sec @ 98.7mph

as INDEPENDENTLY tested by Motortrend and Automobile magazine.
Old 02-12-12, 11:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You are on a Lexus forum so everyone will say the GS350. They will also not like this post because I think their new car is not so great.

I will say the BMW, because I think the Lexus power train is complete rubbish in real-world use due to the lack of low-end torque.

It has the same problem as the 2010 Mercedes E550 - looks good on paper with lots of hp, but the lack of torque and poor transmission make the car difficult to enjoy.
Irrelevant as you do not drive a stock 5 Series. You compared your modified 5 Series to a stock GS.
Old 02-13-12, 12:23 AM
Dema
Pole Position

I do not think everyone here will tell GS, because it is Lexus forum and Lexus biased. This GS supposes to be not, because most people here do not own GS yet, since it started selling just a week ago, so people are doing research to figure out where to put hard earned money. For example I am Lexus hater, so why am I here? I own only Mercedes and BMW, however I want to be sure I did right decision for my cars and always look around if some other maker did something better. So far all information I got here let me think that new GS is better choice than 535 for many reasons, and one of them better value for money. I drove 535 many times and actually I found it sluggish with questionable handling and not so strong brakes. I was really impressed with feeling of previous GS (I have Lexus and BMW dealers across each other so it is easy to compare cars). So I will consider GS when do next shopping.
Old 02-13-12, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't think it really make sense to compare cars in different league, they are way too different. the 335 is smaller and it drives different and more nimble. but with the gs you get so much more
Old 02-13-12, 03:47 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Your driving is hardly the real world. You drive a modified $85k turbocharged V8 5 series and you tried to drive a stock base model $58k naturally aspirated V6 GS in a similar way and came out disappointed.

The powertrain is fine for real world use, but it will be lacking if you want to go out "sport driving" every time you drive it. If straight line speed and low end torque is your top priority, get an A6 3.0T. It has everyone else in the segment beat in that area.
The sad thing is that the $58K V6 GS probably handles better than his $85K V8 5 series losing out only in straight-line speed.

I mean just look at these performance numbers(Motortrend):

Braking GS F-sport 60-0 : 105ft
Braking 550i 60-0 : 116ft
Skidpad F-sport : .91g
Skidpad 550i : .86g
Figure 8 slalom F-sport : 25.7sec @ 0.7g
Figure 8 slalom 550i : 26.1sec @ 0.7g

I didn't make up these numbers but the most telling statistic is the last one. Despite having 400hp/450 ft-lbs torque vs the GS 306hp/270 ft-lbs, the 550i managed to be almost half a second slower in the slalom.

Perhaps the immediate immense thrust fools the senses but the timer-clock is a cruel exposer of nose-heaviness and excessive mass. There's no 2 ways about it, the 550i is a locomotive but it's also an overweight pig. A luxurious,handsome and fast-in-a straight-line pig but a pig nonetheless.

Last edited by natnut; 02-13-12 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 06:53 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I find it impossible to correctly price out a Lexus on line from the Lexus website. Same with BMW's, what I see on the lot seems to be quite a bit more than from BMWUSA. Have you asked at the local dealerships? BMW does seem to be a lot more Al la carte than Lexus, especially on the non top-of the line models... come on extra for Smartkeys? Standard on all Lexus even the 29k base CT...

With a quick call to my buddies over at my local BMW dealer, it does seem closer to 10k difference to get the F-sport/M-tech goodies plus the Lux Stuff the new GS comes with that I want.

Batman, you are right, the 535 drives much better with the “real” (m-tech) suspension and I know the turbo motor can be more easily modified to make a good bit more power at the risk of the warranty… but stock on stock the Lexus power-train doesn’t have the turbo lag and is easier/more fun to drive hard. Without having to plan for the delay..

Quick Reply: What's more fun to drive? 2013 GS F Sport or 2012 BMW 335i?