GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Q for owners: does 4GS Luxury/F-Sport have power-folding mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 03:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be fair if they have the closure system on the trunk like that in the 3gs, then might as well drop it. it's so useless. personally i think for cars in this league given today's technology, auto power open/close should be available

I love the power close trunk. It is an elegant and quiet way for a trunk to close. I use the power close trunk exclusively.

It is one of my peeves when people slam my trunk, I have to tell them just to drop it and dont bother to make sure it closes...
Old 02-16-12, 04:17 PM
LexFather

to be fair if they have the closure system on the trunk like that in the 3gs, then might as well drop it. it's so useless. personally i think for cars in this league given today's technology, auto power open/close should be available
Its not something I really need but why go backwards? It should be standard and it helps separate luxury cars from the plebeian. The little things as well as the big ones.

Lexus I figure saw most didn't care so they dropped it.
Old 02-16-12, 04:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Is an auto opening trunk really that much of a convenience? I'm seriously asking b/c I've never had it on my cars. Pressing a button to open the trunk requires the same effort as putting my hand on the button bar on the 3GS trunk lid, IMO.
you are talking about extra "unnecessary" features which pretty much defines luxury cars. why bother with powered seats when it usually takes longer to adjust than manual seats? i like how when i get out of my s550, i press a button on the door handle and the trunk fully opens before i reach there. and then a press of a button on the trunk then i can turn around and leave, while the trunk closes and lock the whole car

Originally Posted by G Star
I love the power close trunk. It is an elegant and quiet way for a trunk to close. I use the power close trunk exclusively.

It is one of my peeves when people slam my trunk, I have to tell them just to drop it and dont bother to make sure it closes...
that's why the car should just have fully powered trunk, where there is a button that you press and it closes

the design in the 3gs is silly, you still have to swing it down and latch it first click, before the system is activated and pull in the lid fully. that's silly. how many people besides the owner would actually know such thing? i haven't see any. on the other hand my s550 and ls460l with fully powered trunk? people always find the button to just press on it

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not something I really need but why go backwards? It should be standard and it helps separate luxury cars from the plebeian. The little things as well as the big ones.

Lexus I figure saw most didn't care so they dropped it.
i think you read it wrong, mike. i absolutely agree they shouldn't go backward, but being the middle doesn't mean it makes half the sense. i personally think the setup in the 3gs is silly and never that useful.

and that's why i said cars in this league, they SHOULD have fully powered trunk lids
Old 02-16-12, 04:50 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 389 Likes on 253 Posts

Agreed on the power lock trunk of the 3GS being a silly design/feature. You still have to pull it up or down. But I do find it useful that you can't just slam the trunk shut. There's a lot of resistance to close the trunk so when you think you're slamming the trunk, you're actually only closing all the way and the power locking mechanism does the rest.
The design is actually flawed because the top(trunk lid) and the bottom locking mechanism can go out of sync if you don't close the trunk the right way and the trunk stays open until you messed with the closing and opening of the trunk to get it in sync again. I found this out this weekend when I had to drop off some big packages at UPS and the trunk had to stay open for the short ride. After I dropped the packages off, I tried to closed the trunk and it wouldn't. Took me 5-10mins to unlock and and closing the trunk to get both the locking mechanisms in sync again. This happened to me again this morning after installing my WeatherTech cargo mat. The locking mechanism went out of sync for some reason and it took me just as long as the first time to get the trunk to close properly. Not sure if I'll learn the way to sync up the locks when they're out of sync so I can figure it out quicker but so far, this alone is enough for me to not want this feature.
I do love the power folding mirrors though.
Old 02-16-12, 11:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

hahaa, one of those extras you get in a luxury car? i suppose that makes your head not fall left and right when you fall asleep?
Haha yes! Gotta keep your eyes on the road at all times...this forces you to do it. LOL.

Originally Posted by jre002
Is an auto opening trunk really that much of a convenience? I'm seriously asking b/c I've never had it on my cars. Pressing a button to open the trunk requires the same effort as putting my hand on the button bar on the 3GS trunk lid, IMO.
Agreed. The power trunk closer on the 3rd Gen GS is useless. A power trunk closer/opener is useless to me. I can see how it can be a convenience with your hands full of groceries. I guess i'm indifferent with having a power trunk feature on the GS...or for any car for that matter.
Old 02-16-12, 11:56 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you started driving and they folded, do they unfold automatically when you reach 27mph?
Old 02-17-12, 01:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
If you started driving and they folded, do they unfold automatically when you reach 27mph?
first of all, 4gs in the US do NOT have powered mirrors, i believe it's mentioned already

for the 3gs, it's powered but NOT automatic, you have to press a button to fold it. so if that's the case, i doubt there will be a speed sensor for it
Old 02-17-12, 02:34 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Agreed. The power trunk closer on the 3rd Gen GS is useless. A power trunk closer/opener is useless to me. I can see how it can be a convenience with your hands full of groceries. I guess i'm indifferent with having a power trunk feature on the GS...or for any car for that matter.
I read about the BMW's implementation of a power trunk "a Comfort Access system that now includes a hands-free trunk-opening feature activated by waving a foot under the rear bumper"

Source: http://www.vehix.com/car-reviews/2012/bmw/5-series

This would be nice with hands full of grocery bags
Old 02-17-12, 05:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jj14
I read about the BMW's implementation of a power trunk "a Comfort Access system that now includes a hands-free trunk-opening feature activated by waving a foot under the rear bumper"

Source: http://www.vehix.com/car-reviews/2012/bmw/5-series

This would be nice with hands full of grocery bags
Yeah thats a pretty trick feature. I guess in due time these features will eventually make their way to Lexus. The question is when.
Old 02-17-12, 07:01 PM
Dema
Pole Position

For some reason US models have always stripped configuration, perhaps because it sold for cheap here.

Regarding power features, I found that $70k Porsche had nothing powered , but still car looks luxury, however power option will bump price over $90k.
Old 02-21-12, 06:00 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Dema- You're mixing up luxury and exotic. If I bought a true sports car, I shouldn't find powered seats or automatic trunk/mirrors.
But on a GT I should. And let's all face it, the GS is not a sports car. Maybe a GT but also not an exotic.

Back to the subject. I use my power mirrors every day. My wife parks her minivan next to my car and with less than a foot and a half between the cars, she can't open her door without pushing in my mirror if I forget to close them. Which is now bad... If I ever go the money for the new GS, I'll find myself walking around my car every day to unfold my mirror.
Old 02-21-12, 11:13 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Exotic includes luxury by my understanding. Regarding folding mirrors, I believe it isn't part of luxury. I know all BMW have powered folding mirrors, but not mercedes, or audi.
You you park cars to close to each other that you need fold mirrors, then I do not believe you can open doors, and get out. I used powered folding mirrors in my BWM because I have narrow garage, but it worked for my right mirror so I never used the door and could park closer to a wall.
Old 02-21-12, 11:36 PM
rlin5741
Driver School Candidate

Am I missing something? The manual seems to imply that fully power trunk open and close is available. Page 121 and 122 http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03-02.pdf
Old 02-21-12, 11:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rlin5741
Am I missing something? The manual seems to imply that fully power trunk open and close is available. Page 121 and 122 http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03-02.pdf
■Power trunk opener and closer (if equipped
Old 02-22-12, 04:47 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly Lexus should have both features on the car. I want power fold mirrors and automatic close trunk.
Lexus know America's love to have every feature in the book. But I guess somebody in a meeting probably said less features mean less problems/complaints.

Quick Reply: Q for owners: does 4GS Luxury/F-Sport have power-folding mirror?