GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My 4GS Sighting and some exterior styling thoughts (I know again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Post My 4GS Sighting and some exterior styling thoughts (I know again)

Well this was interesting....as soon as I turned out the neighborhood got behind a new silver 4GS....it was overcast so the lights were on and I have to say I really like the rear lights in the "L" shape lit up. While the overall design of the light might not stand out, the LED tubes do. What is also signature was the Lexus exhaust cut outs on the rear end. It helps with the otherwise rather mundane rear.

So I catch up quickly and pace it and I see them look at my car and I look at theirs.....and an interesting thing happened as I sped up to see the front end and paced back...

I started to really like it....Mind you this was a non F-sport but seemed it had the 18" wheels. Going to the front I was stunned at how much I liked it on the move....it just looked different then in pics and parked....maybe it was the wet road but it looked fantastic and it was obvious this is the new face of Lexus. There is no way in hell to confuse this with anything else. This is really odd for me since I usually take my emblems off and change the grill to something less flashy.

The side profile is the usual Lexus classy, its not sleek as the XF/3GS as its more upright but the proportions are proper. I also then notice that the windows are of a good size, defeating the trend of small windows on cars. The Lower Aero skirt angled in front the rear wheel is a nice touch. They already tinted the windows which helped keep the side profile clean.

I really didn't expect to like it, I've been vocal about my styling concerns with the 4GS. I gave them a thumbs up and the lady driver was scared or something but the man in the passenger seat saw me and waved and gave me the thumbs up back.

So I thought about it for a sec. We have all heard the 3GS/Maxima/Altima/Infiniti/XF etc etc look alike comments. Outside of hearing how the rear tailights look Hyundaisih I can't say I've read too many comments about the 4GS looking like anything else, even if its not very original past the front end. In your rearview mirror you might not know what a 3GS is but there is no doubt you will be able to figure out that the 4GS is a Lexus, even if it was badgeless.

I'm flip flopping on the 4GS exterior more than Mitt Romney during a debate Today the 4S style won me over.

Really can't wait to see it lowered with 20s, big brakes etc etc.......

Mike
Old 02-19-12, 07:29 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but I suspect I would share your views. Sometimes in traffic and watching the oncoming cars I wonder what a 4GS would look like among them, and that's when the new grill makes most sense. But it's not just the size or shape like with Audis. The grill is also very three dimensional, and that much more pronounced.
Old 02-19-12, 07:52 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^The rear end looks very different there vs. other pics I've seen...nice.

Good post, Mike
Old 02-19-12, 08:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but I suspect I would share your views. Sometimes in traffic and watching the oncoming cars I wonder what a 4GS would look like among them, and that's when the new grill makes most sense. But it's not just the size or shape like with Audis. The grill is also very three dimensional, and that much more pronounced.
Nice pic and post...I agree with most of it...we just got to work it out in the other thread You find some nice 4GS pics to share too

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^The rear end looks very different there vs. other pics I've seen...nice.

Good post, Mike
Thanks...its classy, I give it that...won't age poorly to me....
Old 02-19-12, 08:04 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well this was interesting....as soon as I turned out the neighborhood got behind a new silver 4GS....it was overcast so the lights were on and I have to say I really like the rear lights in the "L" shape lit up. While the overall design of the light might not stand out, the LED tubes do. What is also signature was the Lexus exhaust cut outs on the rear end. It helps with the otherwise rather mundane rear.

So I catch up quickly and pace it and I see them look at my car and I look at theirs.....and an interesting thing happened as I sped up to see the front end and paced back...

I started to really like it....Mind you this was a non F-sport but seemed it had the 18" wheels. Going to the front I was stunned at how much I liked it on the move....it just looked different then in pics and parked....maybe it was the wet road but it looked fantastic and it was obvious this is the new face of Lexus. There is no way in hell to confuse this with anything else. This is really odd for me since I usually take my emblems off and change the grill to something less flashy.

The side profile is the usual Lexus classy, its not sleek as the XF/3GS as its more upright but the proportions are proper. I also then notice that the windows are of a good size, defeating the trend of small windows on cars. The Lower Aero skirt angled in front the rear wheel is a nice touch. They already tinted the windows which helped keep the side profile clean.

I really didn't expect to like it, I've been vocal about my styling concerns with the 4GS. I gave them a thumbs up and the lady driver was scared or something but the man in the passenger seat saw me and waved and gave me the thumbs up back.

So I thought about it for a sec. We have all heard the 3GS/Maxima/Altima/Infiniti/XF etc etc look alike comments. Outside of hearing how the rear tailights look Hyundaisih I can't say I've read too many comments about the 4GS looking like anything else, even if its not very original past the front end. In your rearview mirror you might not know what a 3GS is but there is no doubt you will be able to figure out that the 4GS is a Lexus, even if it was badgeless.

I'm flip flopping on the 4GS exterior more than Mitt Romney during a debate Today the 4S style won me over.

Really can't wait to see it lowered with 20s, big brakes etc etc.......

Mike
See I told you to give it time, the new design will slowly grow on you! I loved it out the gate and love even more everytime I see one! The 4th gen GS has so much Road Presence out in the wild and I can't with until the rest of the line up catches up.
Old 02-19-12, 08:24 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was skeptical at first because it looked like a beefed up IS. But seeing it in person is an experience that will change all disbelief. It has such strong and sleek lines and an aggressive front end that will clear the traffic in front of you. And then the best part is when you get inside. It is so much better than the outdated and bland interior of the 3GS. It rides so smooth but when you step on it you feel like the car was really built for you, the driver. The exhaust sounds great at high revs and the downshift blip is so precise. Its a great car and i cant wait to see the rest of the lineup
Old 02-19-12, 10:31 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice pic and post...I agree with most of it...we just got to work it out in the other thread You find some nice 4GS pics to share too

Thanks...its classy, I give it that...won't age poorly to me....
Like you I've had mixed feelings on the design, but I think after seeing it in so many pics, the bashing it gets is unfair. It gets it partly because it's different (at least up front), and partly because it's a Lexus. But there is still something emotional about it that I'm attracted to.

My 4GS Sighting and some exterior styling thoughts (I know again)-eyyai.jpg
My 4GS Sighting and some exterior styling thoughts (I know again)-s5njj.jpg

Fluid and sculpted in a way that you won't find on a flat and sterile A6.
Old 02-19-12, 11:56 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Same goes for me, one week after I drove the F-Sport. I woke up one morning and everything just "click"! I finally reasoned out the Styling in my mind, everything looks good to me. I'm still have a bit of mixed feelings with F Front but is growing on me fast. Now, If we can resolve this v6 or V8 issue.. I'm ready for a 4GS..
Old 02-20-12, 12:28 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

As long as human beings remain the same size and shape, we can't get away from the 3-box design as the optimal layout for practical family sedans. Lexus tried the coupe layout for the 3GS and that was a failure as it isn't a practical design.

It might fly for the CLS/6 series/A7 but the low swooping design just can't work for a family daily-driver. i wouldn't mind a 2 door GS coupe for the weekends but only if I had an RX350 as back-up.
Old 02-20-12, 04:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen it in person as well and it hasn't grown on me yet. It does look cool in the commercials.
Old 02-20-12, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

i think the non f-sport front looks better than f-sport. the side to me is really too bland though, and the rear is just flat plain and ugly (to me). the spoiler and darker color in the pic posted helps a little though.

overall though, it could have been worse, it's certainly more functional and competent, and the interior is vastly improved over 3GS.
Old 02-20-12, 06:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I've seen it in person as well and it hasn't grown on me yet. It does look cool in the commercials.
same here, I swear the commericals make the car look a lot better but in person its another story. Love the foglights that are there but not in north america.
Old 02-20-12, 05:52 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the non f-sport front looks better than f-sport. the side to me is really too bland though, and the rear is just flat plain and ugly (to me). the spoiler and darker color in the pic posted helps a little though.

overall though, it could have been worse, it's certainly more functional and competent, and the interior is vastly improved over 3GS.
i kinda felt the same way at first, but when i seen it in person for the first time. i just fell in love with the car, and i couldn't get away from it. the whole car just grew on me
Old 02-21-12, 03:12 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it is a sexy car everyone that saw mine,,,,, loves it. i ride down the street and almost everyones head turns. people driving slow down to stare. it looks much better when you see it for yourself first hand. i have a starfire pearl GS4-f sport. lexus tinted my windows and with those 19" graphite rims the car looks sic. pictures do not do it justice.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 02-21-12 at 03:14 PM. Reason: adding
Old 02-21-12, 03:30 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Why does the butt look so good in that pic.

Quick Reply: My 4GS Sighting and some exterior styling thoughts (I know again)